• Trekkers
    • Star Wars nerds
    • D&D bums
    • LoTR toadies
    • Harry Potter worshippers
    • Splatterfilm fanatics
    • Anime & Manga freaks

Disclaimer:

I like to think those of us that have a certain predeliction for the very silly humour of Mony Python are not such a social malady as to be included in any such poll as this one and its ilk.

:)"

Normal service will now resume.

:blink:

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

No one beats Trekkies. Simply no-one. I mean, Klingon as a language? Ridiculous.

Anyhow, everyone knows that Tolkien rules. I'm making an Elrond costume for next years renascence faire. It's soooo much cooler than stupid Klingon costumes!

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

No one beats Trekkies.  Simply no-one.  I mean, Klingon as a language?  Ridiculous.

warrior.jpg

"yIHarQo'! nepwI' ghaH!"

(Do not believe him! He's a liar!)

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

yes i know, twas the only klingon i could remember and possibly the first i ever heard. Was there any klingon lingo in the first movie when V-ger came to eat the klingon ship?

There was, it was dubbed and AFAIK unremarkable. (But without playing the film again I ain't going to be able confirm that -- I know I couldn't recongnise/remember any of it last time I watched it and I was trying ... the only reason we remember that snippet is in cse we are ever stuck on a dying planet and need to pretent to be a Klingon to get off ... :thumbsup: )

:lol:

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

The trekkies have hijacked the thread!!

Trekker is more apt than Trekkie. (Trekkies is the pejorative term used on the losers who "live" Star Trek -- learning Klingon as a foreign language, getting married in a Romulan service (WTF!), etc.) :o

Trekker refers to those of us who have an appreciation for ST without becoming obsessed. Yes I've seen all the movies (but I didn't see the last three at the cinema) and a lot of the series (I hated the first two seasoons of Voyager and Next Generation, and all of Deep Space Nine).

There is a difference, though I expect this not to matter as the flame wars begin ... o:)

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Trekker refers to those of us who have an appreciation for ST without becoming obsessed. Yes I've seen all the movies (but I didn't see the last three at the cinema) and a lot of the series (I hated the first two seasoons of Voyager and Next Generation, and all of Deep Space Nine).

There is a difference, though I expect this not to matter as the flame wars begin ... o:)

To me a trekker is someone who is dumb enough to walk out into the wilderness with too little food and a cold tent, then comes back after a week, bragging about all the dangers and starvation he's been through. Geez, why would I be impressed by someone who is stupid enough to put himself in danger?! STUPID TREKKERS.

Erm. Right.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Sorry, I knew it was a perjorative, but I was just goofing around anyhow. Still, the hard core are pretty scarey for any of those groups. ...Except I really haven't ever seen a Harry Potter group that was actually scarey.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

To me a trekker is someone who is dumb enough to walk out into the wilderness with too little food and a cold tent, then comes back after a week, bragging about all the dangers and starvation he's been through. Geez, why would I be impressed by someone who is stupid enough to put himself in danger?! STUPID TREKKERS.

Erm. Right.

Sure, but without lunatics like polar explorers (of which Trekkers are a lesser cousin) the boundaries of human knowledge and existence would be the poorer, so I can't be too hard on them. If they go beyond their limits that's fine, Darwin says they'll not be around long enough to polute the gene pool.

Without hijacking the forum, Star Trek (the original series in the sixties) was the first science fiction series on television and it brought with it many things, including far-reaching cultural phenomena:

- the "demographic" model of market research

- the first inter-racial kiss on US broadcast media (Kirk and Uhura)

- a medium for discussing politics in an oblique way (using Klingons to represent Russians, for example).

-- service resumes --

Now that I scan the list again the D&D fundamentalists (y'know, the ones in the corner of the University guild hall who never seem to wear clothes that have been washed and they are a little hydrophobic, too :o ) are quite a scary bunch.

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

What is it by the way? Reminds me of OMG, but I'm probably way off.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

So much hate for HP on this thread... Have any of you even read the books? :blink:

Yes, I have. I've also read David Eddings belgariad (waaay back in time), and I think that David and Leigh Eddings must write for a younger crowd than whatsherface.. Rowlings?

I wouldn't call myself a Potter fan though. I just like reading, and the early Potter books had like a "murder mystery" thing going on that I found rather intruiging. The last book published kinda sucked though. Potter turned out to be a real brat :-

May I also add that I thoroughly enjoy Star Trek, Anime, Star Wars and LOTR. I think the new Star Wars movies stink, though... the narrative is just horrible, and instead of acting the actors verbally tell what they feel.

Anyway, call me

One thing that I cant stand about HP the books&films is that that bastard is always so damn friggin' special! He's like the

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Actually, funny enough, that does get addressed in the books... At some point Harry gets P.O.'d and starts asking why all this is happening to him.

Please review my fanfic!

Atton's Redemption

Atton's Motivation July 30: CHAPTER 26 is up!

--------------

DISCLAIMER: These posts may contain humour. No warranties as to the gelogenic qualities, either expressed or implied, are undertaken by the undersigned. All rights reserved. This does not affect your IQ. Any issues, see your psychologist or increase your dosage. --Metadigital

I like the exposition on the class system inherrent in the JK Rowlings work. I mean, you've got the nobility (pure magic blood) and the muggles (working class) and the mix (e.g. Hermoine).

Nice little dark social undercurrents to be explored ...

PS Kirottu, that was the second most disturbing image I have ever seen.

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT