Musopticon?'s insane idea

Does a roleplaying game set in the Old Republic Era, which doesn't have it's focus set on jedis, sound like a bad idea? I haven't played the second one yet, but KotOR 1 suffered a little storywise, when the whole center of the universe seemed to be the Force. Almost everything was force-related some way or the other. Bioware tried to have love in the mix(and failed), but when the player character's only way of advancement seemed to be the exalted way of force-munchkinism, not much could be done.

How about the more normal dudes? Mercenaries, hackers, techies, soldiers etc? The ones which you happened to have with you on the party, but never got the change to fully play as? How about an IWD-like approach? Have a band of bounty hunters stumble on to something Big. IWD managed to tell a good story without avatar-like powers and earth-shattering destinies. KotOR did it with the NPCs's own stories, but not with the main plotline.

Please don't analyze this word by word, just give me opinions.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

About the other topic:

Thanks, my blue friend. It's appreciated.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

So you'll be able to create your entire party in the begining,right?

Jedis too?

About the other topic:

Thanks, my blue friend. It's appreciated.

Well i've deleted a lot of stupid topics :">

1500 posts :blink:

I didn't mean that, I meant that the SW universe has a lot more to offer than only jedis. Let me play as a non-jedi and have almost-forceless story to boot. Like, if put IWD and BG side by side; the other one has awesome spell fights, avatars and prophecies, and the other one has normal dudes and combat needs some tactics.

Though what you're proposing could be interesting.

Almost 300 posts!

kirottu said:

I don't think a SW fan(atik :) ) would buy it without Jedis or with a force-less story :p

And role-players are hardly the main-audinace :blink:

I'd love to play a spy of sorts...relying on your stealth :D ...but not SC style :">

It certainly could be done, but that doesn't mean it should. Like it or not, as we all know, the force and its users and adherents are the focus of the Star Wars universe. If one wants to do a stealth/espionage game, or a futuristic FSRPG without the Force or the Jedi as key elements...why do it in the Star Wars setting at all? Like any other setting, one could theoretically impose just any internal situation at all on a part of the universe regardless of whether it's the franchise's strength or not, but it seems silly to take away Star Wars' strengths and still use it as the setting for a game.

I mean, sure, one could do a Star Trek FSRPG combat game which takes place entirely on a planetary surface and has nothing to do with the Federation, but why on earth would one do such a thing, when franchise lore hinges on the Federation? One could make a Forgotten Realms pirate-themed game which deals entirely with sea-combat and warfare, but why on earth would one use Forgotten Realms and D&D for something that it isn't strong in and ignore its chief focuses and topics?

The Star Wars universe revolves around the Force and the Jedi. Why pretend that isn't the case, when one could just pick a world where that already isn't the case, and where the setting's strengths inherently operate without the Force and the Jedi and the Dark Side as a basis.

True.

I feel humbled.

kirottu said:

:"> true...but you could also be like Atton was meaning a Jedi Assasin...I'm not asking for no force-users, I am  asking about the freedom to choose your destiny :)

I like this idea. Against the background of a Sith-run galaxy, where force users are immediately detected and sent off to be 'converted' to the Dark Side, an entirely non-force party would be necessary to offer any kind of resistance. The Force would still be important, in a sense it would be central, as you would have to deal with (i.e. kill) force-using Sith as part of your adventure. But it would be approaching it from a different angle, as well as making an original and challenging experience, to employ techniques such as those Atton mentions to defeat enemies substantially stronger than you could ever be.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

:"> true...but you could also be like Atton was meaning a Jedi Assasin...I'm not asking for no force-users, I am  asking about the freedom to choose your destiny :)

I like this idea. Against the background of a Sith-run galaxy, where force users are immediately detected and sent off to be 'converted' to the Dark Side, an entirely non-force party would be necessary to offer any kind of resistance. The Force would still be important, in a sense it would be central, as you would have to deal with (i.e. kill) force-using Sith as part of your adventure. But it would be approaching it from a different angle, as well as making an original and challenging experience, to employ techniques such as those Atton mentions to defeat enemies substantially stronger than you could ever be.

:):)

That's how it should be...the main ideea is the right to choose your own class...I'm not saying that you shouldn't be allowed to play a Jedi...I'm saying that you should be allowed to play different classes like spyes,assasins,techs,soldiers ,etc... :D

Musopticon?,

I agree with what you are saying, at least in principle.

The story arch we are in now is epic and almost requires

a godlike PC.

If there is a KOTOR IV, I hope that it is *NOT EPIC* and

*NOT PART OF A TRILOGY*. This should allow the PC to be

a non-Force user.

I actually like the idea of doing something similar to what

SWG did with the Force and PCs....make it so where you do not

know whether you are going Force sensitive or not...it just happens.

It could happen at 5th level, 9th level, 20th level...you just

don't know.

Then, even if it happens, you have to allocate alot of feat slots

to realize any benefit from it.

No...It's different with an MMORPG :)

In singleplayer the best way would be to give yourself a certain leval in force sensativity :)...in the begining,if you choose a non-jedi class ...so that you could choose to gain levels as a jedi later on.

Letting the game decide your sensitivity would only bring more and more frustration :) ...just imagine you wanted to play a Spy/Dark Jedi and when you find a sith lord willing to train you..you find out that you're not sensative enough... resulting frustration :)" :) ...resulting uninstall :D

No...It's different with an MMORPG :)

In singleplayer the best way would be to give yourself a certain leval in force sensativity :)...in the begining,if you choose a non-jedi class ...so that you could choose to gain levels as a jedi later on.

Letting the game decide your sensitivity would only bring more and more frustration :) ...just imagine you wanted to play a Spy/Dark Jedi and when you find a sith lord willing to train you..you find out that you're not sensative enough... resulting frustration :):)  ...resulting uninstall :D

Actually, I like your idea too. At the expense of skill points, for instance, you choose your starting level of Force Sensitivity. If you put nothing in there, you ain't wielding no lightsaber in that game. The more you put in, the earlier you get the kind of trigger you are talking about.

I still think the MMORPG way would work but your idea probably would cause less frustration.

Of course you must pay a price for your senstivity :) ...but skills might not be the best price.... a tech could never play well if he loses some of his skills :)

I'd sugest an attribute decresment of 1 to all physical and plus 1 to wisdom :) ...that should be better :)

Of course you must pay a price for your senstivity :) ...but skills might not be the best price.... a tech could never play well if he loses some of his skills :)

I'd sugest an attribute decresment of 1 to all physical and plus 1 to wisdom :) ...that should be better  :)

OR, just have it feat-based (assuming they are still using d20). You pay for it by having to invest in the Force Sensitive feat.

That might still hurt your character if you choose a low-feat one :) ...but it's a very good alternative :)

How bout classes...What would you want to play?

I'd enjoy playing a spy and relying on stealth and charm :)

True, it would be a significant price. But, again, if you are going down the road of the Force, you are willing to make such sacrifices. The idea here is to allow mercenaries, spies, etc have a story-driven RPG experience in the SW setting while not leaving out those who want to play Force-users.

I personally would like to play a techie like Bao-Dur who can set mines (and other traps), reprogram droids and who is a good all-around slicer. I also like the idea of having portable sentry guns that the Engineer class could set up.

The problem is Star Wars d20 that feat does nothing on itself besides allowing to select some classes, its also only avaible at character generation and no class gives that feat.

In "KotOR" d20 they made all feats do something, problem is that some d20 feats are not very good and they serve most to unlock other feats that are very useful.

The problem in doing a game based in d20 is that you simply cannot rip it apart to please the "casual gamers", its simply going to break down the system to pointless.

Look at KotOR(s), none of the attack feats were any good since they were irrelevent in combat.

drakron.png