Gods and Heroes rpg

Mordrian

In the period around 300 BC, the Carthaginians are a major economic force across the entire Mediterranean region, with a series of trade outposts from Iberia to Sicilia and beyond. Based in northern Africa, they are sworn enemies of Rome due to a long-standing, irreconcilable feud. The Gauls occupy a large portion of Western Europe, and have raided parts of the Italian peninsula, even settling certain areas. While not disciplined militarily, their warriors make up for this through sheer ferocity.

http://rpgvault.ign.com/articles/606/606753p1.html?fromint=1

I have longed for a long long time after a rpg based around ancient rome. May not be the best looking game I've ever seen, a bit empty at places. But as we all know, graphics ain't everything. :) I'm a bit worried though, my biggest wish would have been some sort of political rpg. Not a questing hack&slash game as I get feeling it will be. And it's going to have fantasy monsters and such, wich may work, but doesn't seem fit to me. What do you guys think?

Anyone ever played that game "Teudogar and the alliance with Rome": http://www.teudogar.com/home.htm :(

That was such a great game and it felt like you could change everything around you. Great executed, and it was only made by 2 people I think. What are game developers up to nowadays? :p

"You want to do that in just one game? ...Are you Immortal or something ?"

No; but if they throw in that feature as well; I doubt he'd complain. :D

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

TES games are in a pseudo-roman setting :p ...Oblivion should be close :)

Gaaah, I'm not talking about any damn TES game! :(

I wan't to be able to meet Brutus, kill Julius, and free Russell Crowe!

Dear god what are you talking about!

Free Russell Crowe? Feed him to the crabs, more likely. :p

Have you tried Rome: Total War? It may not be a strict RPG, but it makes a lot of RPGs look like story books by comparison. :)

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

He's an arrogant Kiwi that thinks he can be a rock star  :-"  (w00t)  :lol::x

Haha okay :) Can't say I usually like his acting, but somehow he seems so very.. different from his usual self in Gladiator. Don't you agree?

I'll agree to almost anything as long as I don't have to sit through another Master & Commander advert. :shifty: (I nearly returned my special edition X-Men 1&2 set when I found that ad on the second movie ... and it was for the cinema release, too!)

I thought the late Oliver Reed stole the movie, anyway.

If you want to see a proper gladiator movie, the classic Spartacus (starring Kirk Douglas, 1960) is the definitive film. :thumbsup:

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Have you tried Rome: Total War? It may not be a strict RPG, but it makes a lot of RPGs look like story books by comparison. :-

Indeed, the RPG "feel" of RTW is what I like the most about it. Of course, this isn't new to the Total War series, nor to strategy games in general, but I think RTW takes the phenomenon to its peak. A peak not even the immaculate Alpha Centauri dreamed of.

To lead one's general, whose birth and ascent to glory or infamy one has orchestrated, who has a family, and a history, and monuments built to commemorate his battles of times past, to lead him into confrontation, and watch him make a speech to his troops which reflects his personality and qualities and habits as a leader...it's phenomenal. To lead into battle, say, the at this point elderly, dangerously insane, possibly homosexual drunkard adopted Celt son to a Roman Legate and have all of those things matter and have all of those things be linked to causal factors in the world. That's RPG magic.

RTW makes actually roleplaying a character and not just being a munchkin all the time rewarding in a way that even most D&D CRPGs don't. That's especially remarkable because it's not an RPG.

But there's more to character development in RTW than in most RPGs.

Have you tried Rome: Total War? It may not be a strict RPG, but it makes a lot of RPGs look like story books by comparison. :-

Indeed, the RPG "feel" of RTW is what I like the most about it. Of course, this isn't new to the Total War series, nor to strategy games in general, but I think RTW takes the phenomenon to its peak. A peak not even the immaculate Alpha Centauri dreamed of.

To lead one's general, whose birth and ascent to glory or infamy one has orchestrated, who has a family, and a history, and monuments built to commemorate his battles of times past, to lead him into confrontation, and watch him make a speech to his troops which reflects his personality and qualities and habits as a leader...it's phenomenal. To lead into battle, say, the at this point elderly, dangerously insane, possibly homosexual drunkard adopted Celt son to a Roman Legate and have all of those things matter and have all of those things be linked to causal factors in the world. That's RPG magic.

RTW makes actually roleplaying a character and not just being a munchkin all the time rewarding in a way that even most D&D CRPGs don't. That's especially remarkable because it's not an RPG.

Whoah, dude...Is the game that good? You've inspired me.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

Well . . . It's a good game, but it has some flaws.

The load-game bug alone is a game killer. It makes it impossible to play the game in the mid to late era without hibernating your PC for weeks. (it resets all the AI after every reload to 0, essentially paralyzing the AI into helplessness)

That being said, yeah, I never really thought of it in RPG terms. The "family" aspect of the game is really neat. You can groom whole extended families through their entire lives and have them become very different kinds of people: heroic or cowardly, conservative or liberal, puritian or sexual predator; even little seemly obscure traits make a large difference, i.e. whether or not your character likes gladiator games, how "pure" your wife is, how do you feel about foreigners, etc. And you have about a 50% say on how your characters in your family develop. You'll have people in your family ranging from the wise, powerful elder, to the young, irresponsible, worthless kid.

And yes, the battle speeches are excellent (well, the Roman ones are). And they are influenced on your character's traits. Is he brave? Is he a coward? Is he a tactictian? Is he inept? Is he a great speaker or a tedious one? Is he insane?

That all being said, it'd be a great game if it wasn't for the load-game bug.