Obsidian's third game is a console RPG?

funcroc

http://www.obsidianent.com/jobs/design_writer.htm

Obsidian Entertainment, the developer of Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords and Neverwinter Nights 2, is seeking applicants for the following design positions for an upcoming console role-playing game. Please do not submit samples of your work. Selected applicants will be sent a detailed design test to assess their skills as required by the position...

only console, not multi-platform including PC?

Obsidian Entertainment, the developer of Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords and Neverwinter Nights 2, is seeking applicants for the following design positions for an upcoming console role-playing game. Please do not submit samples of your work. Selected applicants will be sent a detailed design test to assess their skills as required by the position.

I hope that is just a typo of misphrased thing, and that the game is PC also.

I'm torn between console-only titles.

On one hand, I like the fact I don't have to constantly upgrade my computer just to play a game. But on the other hand, if it's on a console that I don't own, I'd have to spend that money anyways to purchase the console.

Hopefully it's on the PS2, otherwise I'm SOOL.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I have a DVD player.  Its on my Computer.  I don't need a 30 inch television.  I have a 17" Flatscreen CRT.

I'll be honest with you, I stayed away from consoles for the longest time myself. I don't really care much for platformers and FPSs and dumbed-down RPGs.

However, the situation is improving with games like KOTOR and Jade Empire (coming soon) and LOTRs Third Age and so, because of this, I am willing to indulge in the other advantages that consoles have.

By the time it is released the PS 2 will be obsolete.

By the time it's released, all current consoles may be obsolete.

Judging by the amount of people they are hiring on their website, this game is still very early in production. With the next Xbox coming out later this year and the next Nintendo and Sony consoles coming out next year, assuming a two year development time for this Obsidian game, it could very well not be out untill after all next gen consoles are released.

Heck, for all we know, this game may very well be for the next gen consoles.

From what I've read so far about the Xbox 2, it'll be close to identical to a normal PC. With a little luck, that means Obsidian's third title will be aimed for Xbox 2, but it'll also be very easily ported to PC. Another neat detail is that Xbox 2 will come with a version containing a mouse and keyboard.. that might mean that even though it's a console game (with all its inherent advantages) we won't have to endure dumbed down console controls. We just need a little luck!

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

...depressing

*EDIT (several hours later) - after thinking about this a while, it now seems less depressing, that is just an instant reaction when I read "console". But, the Unreal engine is awesome, and the publisher probably will port to PC if the game is a hit, which it will be, so as long as they avoid the '10 hour long', dumbed down console RPG stereotypes, this could turn out good afterall.

Probably PS3 or Xbox2 as they are the only design kits that have gone out. If they have tests it might back this up. I dont know how common that is over submitting known work. But it would seem to be more important when working with a completely new design kit.

Depends if its a follow up for NwN II or a filler before NwNII is ready.

May as well face upto it that consoles is the future they just have too many advantages that the larger market find attractive.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

http://www.rpgcodex.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=6845

what Obsidian's Chris Jones(aka Squish) said at RPGCodex forum

Hmm, a new BioWare RPG is using the Unreal 3.0 engine technology, Obsidian is hiring people who can work with the Unreal engine technology. Coincidence? 

Actually, yes. The projects we are hiring for have no connection to Bioware whatsoever. The Unreal engine is a pretty popular piece of technology to license these days, in case you hadn't noticed

..So I wonder who Atari has doing BG3 then? It doesn't look like it will be Obsidian afterall, unless Atari decided to make BG3 a console game. Or, since Obsidian looks like they are practically hiring a whole new team, maybe they will have 3 teams, in which case one team could still do BG3, but that seems unlikely as well. Maybe Bioware will still have a part in BG3 afterall. Maybe Bioware will develop the game, or partner with a smaller developer like Irrational Games to make it. We will probably find out at E3 about BG3

As for the new Obsidian game, it will probably be a while before we know much more, but at least we will see some NWN2 stuff at E3

Obsidian Entertainment, the developer of Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords and Neverwinter Nights 2, is seeking applicants for the following design positions for an upcoming console role-playing game. Please do not submit samples of your work. Selected applicants will be sent a detailed design test to assess their skills as required by the position...

Damn damn damn. >_<

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

I can't understand why anyone, not counting rabid fanboys, would want a new BG-game. The story of Bhaalspawns has ended, get over it already. Why would anyone want to trek the Sword Coast with a party of almost god-like beings? On the other hand; a new story somehow tied in to the Bhaalspawn-storyline wouldn't be so bad, but why call it Baldur's Gate? To get more fans? The developers, whoever they're(I hope not Obsidian), could just stamp a text which reads "The Baldur's Gate saga continues!" on every commercial and call it whatever they like.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

I hope it's not a console-only title, or I wouldn't be able to play it. I would be really dissapointed if it were only developed for the console and not for the PC.

Exitium

RPG Codex - the premier avant garde gaming news site.

"It is more convenient to follow one's conscience than one's intelligence, for at every failure, conscience finds an excuse and an encouragement in itself. That is why there are so many conscientious and so few intelligent people." - Nietzsche

"The story of Bhaalspawns has ended, get over it already."

It doesn't have to be so you get over your whining. The Bhaalspawn storyline can have LOTS added to it. The surface hasn't even been scratched.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Icewind Dale III :rolleyes:

HERMOCRATES:

Nur Ab Sal was one such king. He it was, say the wise men of Egypt, who first put men in the colossus, making many freaks

of nature at times when the celestial spheres were well aligned.

SOCRATES:

This I doubt. We are hearing a child's tale.

"The story of Bhaalspawns has ended, get over it already."

It doesn't have to be so you get over your whining. The Bhaalspawn storyline can have LOTS added to it. The surface hasn't even been scratched.

At the end of BG 2 ToB you either become a god or you stay mortal and the divine energy has left you. Either way the story is over and if it is a prequel that wouldn't make any sort of sense for a prequel to use the latest edition of DnD while its sequels use an earlier editions.

Best let the Bhaalspawn story be dead and overwith. Frankly I don't see why bother with a 3 in the title.