Making the Battles more Epic.

Another problem with the KotOR engine is that there is no limit to the bonuses that can be added to your stats -- unlike, say NwN where a PC can only add 12 points to every stat. I have a character with 44 Wisdom (with a natural stat of c. 20).

Considering this particular character's Wisdom doubles onto the defence bonus, this is bordering on munchkinism.

But because there is no "higher purpose" to the game except "kill every enemy in front of you until you get the epilogue", it doesn't seem as ridiculous as, say, acting the same way in a more rounded game (like some of the NwN community modules).

Playing Half-Life 2 (again) feels more like an RPG than KotOR 2.

:)

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I'm not so sure because even in D&D those with lower BAB's dont use weapons unless in a pinch. In KOTOR everyone uses weapons, even the "mages".

In Star Wars everyone uses weapons, thing like that cannot be removed, it would the same as a RPG set in a modern age were people cannot use guns.

But there are ways to deal with it, in armors give damage resistence then only way to take down armored enemies is with high powered weapons and "lower BAB" classes are not likely to automatic grant such feats, they end up using a simple blaster and hope they survive long enough to kill the enemies.

I find SW suited to a more Jedi Academy/Dark Forces type setup. That makes up for the low variety of enemies.

I dont, the issue with KotOR is that it simply throws too many enemies, allows for a too fast leveling and simply overpoweres lightsabers.

Jedi Knight does the same things except you play with someone that simply does not progress in terms of skill during the game, sure they throw some new force powers here are there but the "health" and "mana" pool remain the same as well as the character stats.

Then again Jedi Knight is a FPS as KotOR is a RPG.

drakron.png

My Idea:

Alright, I agree that the battles should be more epic. However, I don't think an FPS system should be implemented. Instead, let's just improve the system that already exists.

For example, in the main action portion of the taskbar where "attack" or "switch weapons" is, you could also put certain other moves that would enhance combat and make it seem more than just a couple of people shooting at one another to death.

For example, you could select "crouch" or "roll" to take cover behind objects like containers, benches, other people, etc. This would decrease your accuracy but increase your defense, etc, etc, etc. Also, I think combat should be based more on not getting hit than having lots of vitality points. Its a system that works but its not realistic and doesn't fit with the Star Wars univsere.

For example, somebody could dodge several blaster bolts but if they're hit the bolt does more damage. And for lightsabers the same. You concentrate more on blocking than hitting your opponent, leading to battles reminiscent of the movies instead of simply bashouts that don't make any sense considering the lethalness of a lightsaber.

I understand what you're getting at.

Remember, though, originally in D&D, the Hit Points where a concept that incorporated the ability to mitigate attacks. A fighter of level 10 (who might have 80 HP) would not necessary be 10 men of level 1 (with say 7-8 HP); the extra Hit Points were the higher level character's ability to anticipate lethal blows and parry them, together with general increase in fighting ability, resistence to fatigue and concentration lapses, etc.

So, to keep the analogy, the lightsaber isn't really hitting the oponent to score "damage", it is just reducing the incidental fighter prowess of the opposing character in keeping with the parameters of the pugilistic art ... until either character finally succumbs to a lethal blow.

Other ideas would be to have "targeting", "disarming" and "knockown" ("called shots" and "disarming" in AD&D and NwN, "knockdowns" already exist in KotOR, if in a limited fashion).

Certainly it would help if all the characters could use the terrain as cover (I have shot and been shot by NPCs behind walls).

It just feels like KotOR 2 has lost its way ... sort of a dead end in RPG development. :blink:

I would have hoped that RPGs had moved on to being more hybrid ... including more virtual reality rather than more Space Invaders.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

how about placing the pc in the middle of a few big battles, like dxun, battle at the end of episdoe 2 etc. i think it would be nice to once in awhile get to try out all my bad assidness on a grand scale, and rack up a ton of xp :ermm:. maybe even show the pc in a cinema or 2 going nuts in the end of a boss fight or 2, use some shadowing, or throw the hood of their robe on, i think itd be a nice idea, although a little base would still add to the feel of epicness methinks.