Remember the Old days?

WITHTEETH

Wizard's Crown

I've played that :-

Had to run it on an Apple Emu though :)

Probably the neatest "old game" I've ever played.

I wonder why SSI never made any sequels to it :blink: It even said in the manual that it was built around that kind of expansion as I recall.

They did make a sequel it was called Shard of Spring i think . It only made it to Apple . I guess the sales were none to great . :blink: I played it all the way though . You could transfer your pcs from wizard crown to it .

In the Ye Olde Favourites category.... in no particular order...

The Bard's Tale I, II, and not no much III (PC port wasn't really up to snuff)

Phantasie 1, 3 (buggers never ported 2)

Gold Box games, excluding the Buck Rogers ones.

Ultima 4, 5, 6, Savage Frontier

A10 Tank Killer (yes, I was one of those unfortunates whom the tanks always managed to kill :D)

A submarine game that I can't remember the name of... first time I saw diving into ocean trenches represented visually)

Zyll

... and perennial favourites

Quest for Glory. Classics, those ones.

Incidentally, the first two King's Quests have been remade in the classic style, but with fancy innovations such as them new-fangled VGA grafix and sound, too! Clicky! for those interested. Me, I never played the originals, so I can't say how closely the remakes follow them, but it was still an interesting experience.

Wizard's Crown

I've played that :)

Had to run it on an Apple Emu though :)

Probably the neatest "old game" I've ever played.

I wonder why SSI never made any sequels to it :) It even said in the manual that it was built around that kind of expansion as I recall.

They did make a sequel it was called Shard of Spring i think . It only made it to Apple . I guess the sales were none to great . :( I played it all the way though . You could transfer your pcs from wizard crown to it .

Definately gonna look for it then, I probably have my WC saves burned to CD somewhere :)

..........I burn everything to CD eventually :wacko:

Looking back now that does seem weird, buying games on a cassette tapes ;) .  It was amazing what game programmers back then could do with so little resources to work with. 

Some of those text adventure games were great - drawing maps as you went.  Kids these days are spoiled with their fancy 'auto-maps'  :luck:

Games were really easy to be be multiskilled at in the old days because there were not all that sopsticated. One person could do the music, art and programming.

Now you need profesionals to do the sounds. Real artists to do the graphics (where as anyone could draw something that passed for a monster or a wall).

Which means bigger team sizes, higher salaries(since your paying for skills).

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

I did some digging around. Hard to believe that autoduel is only 200kb.

I'm tempted to download it , since I own the original in a box somewhere in the attic. But I fear that my memory of the game wont match the reality.

Shard of Spring is indeed a prequel to Demons Winter.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]