Kotor double pack

If it turns out that Obsidian does not do development for Kotor3, I might write out a formal-type letter suggesting that LA allow Obsidian (if interested) to release a Kotor/Kotor2 double package.

The reason for this is that it isn't something that would be anticipated and so wouldn't have a rushed timetable.

The idea is that LA releases a nearly unchanged Kotor (except that saved games would be accessable to Kotor2) in conjunction with a finished version of Kotor2.

I would expect this to take another year/year and a half development, so sales of both would decline dramatically.

Since Kotor would require nearly no changes and kotor2 is at least 85% done, the money gained by selling a double package for $60 (when surely each individual game would cost $19.99) would far outstrip money spent, making a huge profit margin.

I find this much more likely a solution than patches, since LA makes no money off patches and (like most corporations should be) is ruled by the almighty dollar.

Sure I will be grumbling along with everyone else about having bought the same game twice, but if the 'moving' sacrifices that the exiles companions were scripted to make on Malachor are included and, say, Nihilis is fleshed out, I would pay the money.

I would expect Obsidian to be interested because no one likes their writing to be read by many people in an unfinished form, and by LA and Bioware because it's more profit.

Thoughts?

Waste of time. KOTOR is already a budget release by the time your year and half elapses the next gen consoles will have hit the market.

KOTOR II will be a budget release at that point as well.

So your expecting people to pay 60$ for a 2 year old game and a year old game. Unless you have the sort of mystique that Sqenix has with FF it wont be profitable.

Best thing for Obsidian to do is to learn from this. I have my own theory on why the end was cut which has nothing to do with time.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Nice, but unrealistic. Not many people would buy that. I know I wouldn't.

This kind of thing has worked for Squaresoft. Although, admittedly, I didn't even consider buying any of those stupid remakes.

I'm a sucker for interesting stories, though, and if I could see the scripted malachor stuff that the IGN guy referred to, I just might do it this time.

Waste of time. KOTOR is already a budget release by the time your year and half elapses the next gen consoles will have hit the market.

KOTOR II will be a budget release at that point as well.

So your expecting people to pay 60$ for a 2 year old game and a year old game. Unless you have the sort of mystique that Sqenix has with FF it wont be profitable.

Best thing for Obsidian to do is to learn from this. I have my own theory on why the end was cut which has nothing to do with time.

The budget release thing is why LA would do it. I certainly don't think those hoping for patches should hold their breath.

As far as the cut end, I'm just going with what IGN said about why the end was so choppy.

The budget release thing is why LA would do it. I certainly don't think those hoping for patches should hold their breath.

As far as the cut end, I'm just going with what IGN said about why the end was so choppy.

LA have no incentive to do anything. They will be focusing on EPIII and the things that go along with it to meet the movie release.

Most people here own KOTOR they also own KOTOR II so all they would be getting is KOTOR II with a different ending.

Add to that the complication and expence of rehiring the VOT. It's not as simple as you think it is.

The ending may have been weak, but I've still played the game far more than some games with really strong endings so overall I'm satisfied with my value for money. I certainly wouldnt feel compelled to buy the same game just to have a different ending.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

They'd better get rid of these crappy .bik cut-scenes where they can be handled by the game engine and allow us to get better quality soundtrack (for now, it's a very poor 48 kbps 32000 Hz mono MP3...). And why not change some things in the end of the game to have it more coherent.

I would mind revamping the games but make them for the xbox 360. One disc should be able to hold both games.

However I don't think they will because the would have to expect to sell enough to make a profit.

Don't worry in 10 years M$ will have their portable game system so they might bring back all ther old hits.

LA have no incentive to do anything. They will be focusing on EPIII and the things that go along with it to meet the movie release.

Most people here own KOTOR they also own KOTOR II so all they would be getting is KOTOR II with a different ending.

Add to that the complication and expence of rehiring the VOT. It's not as simple as you think it is.

The ending may have been weak, but I've still played the game far more than some games with really strong endings so overall I'm satisfied with my value for money. I certainly wouldnt feel compelled to buy the same game just to have a different ending.

LucasArts doesn't work on the films. LucasFilms does-that's the parent company. LucasArts is only an intellectual property licensing agency for videogames. When Viacom launched the Spike network, there was no effect on CBS whatsoever.

The incentive is that they sell something without spending money in development.

If people wouldn't buy it 2 years down the road, that's fine and my idea is overreaching, but I think, honestly, that I would. Especially with the import feature. I wouldn't mind seeing Revan as I remembered him/her in the cave instead of in the cloak and mask.

LucasArts doesn't work on the films. LucasFilms does-that's the parent company. LucasArts is only an intellectual property licensing agency for videogames. When Viacom launched the Spike network, there was no effect on CBS whatsoever.

The incentive is that they sell something without spending money in development.

If people wouldn't buy it 2 years down the road, that's fine and my idea is overreaching, but I think, honestly, that I would. Especially with the import feature. I wouldn't mind seeing Revan as I remembered him/her in the cave instead of in the cloak and mask.

I wasnt talking about EPIII the film there is a game of the same name. Although the spin offs from it will take up LA's attention for quite a while.

They still have to spend money on the usual publishing things. Manuals, box covers CD's etc. PDF files are not an option on a console :D (w00t)

478327[/snapback]

I wasnt talking about EPIII the film there is a game of the same name. Although the spin offs from it will take up LA's attention for quite a while.

They still have to spend money on the usual publishing things. Manuals, box covers CD's etc. PDF files are not an option on a console :D (w00t)

They farmed out development of EpIII the game and subsequent spinoffs, since LA doesn't employ programmers. The only involvement LA has with those games is in paying the designers, doing QA, doing music and distributing them. The only involvement LA would have in a KotorI+II pack is to approve it and get bioware and obsidian to agree, then distribute it.

Manuals and CD covers cost peanuts. 7 or 8 cents per $60 unit.