Easily Corrected Spelling Errors

There are a few grammatical and spelling errors in the game; of these grammatical errors, I am not counting those choices in phrasing which are deemed conventional English. However, in my humble opinion, the conversational choices for the main character occasionally utilise commonly appearing phrases in spoken English that have ambiguous meaning without accompanying tone of voice.

The spelling errors could be swiftly corrected using spellcheck software on the dialogue trees. This would be very easy to do for a company like Obsidian.

Lest you think this a baseless complaint, recollect the dialogue and consider whether or not Obsidian could use a better dialogue writer than those presently in their employment. At the very least, collegiate writing skills should be demanded, and at the very least, writing standards should be equivalent to what is offered in the Chicago Manual of Style (presently in its 15th edition, University of Chicago) and Elements of Style (Strunk & White).

I've noticed similar phrasing appears throughout many of the most recent CRPG regardless of designers: Obsidian, Troika, Bioware. It's almost as if all companies hired the same hackneyed and semi-illiterate dialogue scripters to labour over the work with one or two people who possess more than scant writing ability also working with them. I do not believe that semi-literate writers should be employed to script dialogue for games that cost fifty dollars to purchase. I would be more willing to pay two dollars for this sort of writing, but probably would not purchase the game.

There should be a warning on the game: this game designed, in part, by people who do not have basic grammar and spelling skills. Better yet, fire them or shoot them.

• 11 months later...
You didn't like the dialouge? Or are you getting all pissy over a few spelling mistakes?

A few spelling mistakes would be understandable if Obsidian were undertaking the fifth grade again. In a professional game product, in this day and age, it's unforgivable and also emblematic of the lack of common education in our US citizenry.

You didn't like the dialouge? Or are you getting all pissy over a few spelling mistakes?

A few spelling mistakes would be understandable if Obsidian were undertaking the fifth grade again. In a professional game product, in this day and age, it's unforgivable and also emblematic of the lack of common education in our US citizenry.

While I have noticed some places in the dialog where there have been mistakes made, let's not forget that there are literally hundreds of lines of dialog, if not thousands. Given that, I would expect mistakes to creep in.

I think that Obsidian should be fully capable of telling the difference between "which" and "witch"....

As would I, but as I tried to point out before, mistakes do creep in no matter how hard we try to keep them to a minimum.

Edit:

Battlewookie: I'll leave this thread be now. :-

Edited by daywalker03

Plus who has time for spelling over there when you can play Battlefield 2?

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

...when I was still a mod...

What the....

I go away for a few days, so much change. :cool:

As to grammar in games...now that I think about it, I guess there were a few bits here and there that were off...just wasn't extreme enough for me to care. And spelling...pffft....Even Stephen King's books (backed by lots of money and big companies) have frequent typo's that were obviously mistakes on the part of the...er...typesetter...computer setter...whatever they use now...

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts