kanadian self loathing

Gromnir

am still gnashing our teeth when we recall having purchased nwn. were a very buggy game for us. turned out that 'bout half of our bug problems were tied to incompatibility issues 'tween our ati card/drivers and the game engine.

pc version of kotor were a pretty solid game as far as bugs went. sure, there were some problems, but they weren't too bad... 'less you had an ati 9600 card.

anybody took a look at the tech support board for kotor2? poor ati owners get it in the tuckus again.

ok, now we recognize that ati drivers seems to have lots of issues with non-bioware games too... is the reason we went back toi nvidia cards 'bout a year ago. we also realize that obsidian developed kotor2. however, one would think that the biowarians woulda' gone out of their way to show their fellow canucks a little love, no? just seems to be something 'bout games with a bio engine and ati cards/drivers... is like bio hates ati or something... or vice versa maybe.

no doubt there is some reasonable explanation for the kanadian incompatibility issues... but we cannot help but imagine that ati's cfo ran down dr. ray's dog with his ferrari (equipped with government approved snow chains

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Everyone knows nVidia's got the game market by the balls. ATI has tried to get in on the whole "sponsored development" foulplay but nVidia spends more cash on making shure developers make their products primarily compatible with nVidia tech "the way its meant to be played"

...and ATI used to have incompetent driver programmers but I hear thats been fixed.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

...the drivers issue be supposedly fixed...an' as fer nVIDIA, the best ideas theys had lately was ta bring SLI back from the graphics graveyard...when ATI's X800XL hits the market hard, nVIDIA's 6800GT's gonna take a beatin' (the X800XL PCI-E card's sellin' fer 'bout $100 cheaper than the 6800GT PCI-E an' clocks from a wee bit lesser ta a wee bit higher, dependin' on the game it's tested an' clocked on)...

BLAME KANADA!

:(

...WHO LUVS YA, BABY!!...

A long, long time ago, but I can still remember,
How the Trolling used to make me smile.
And I knew if I had my chance, I could egg on a few Trolls to "dance",
And maybe we'd be happy for a while.
But then Krackhead left and so did Klown;
Volo and Turnip were banned, Mystake got run out o' town.
Bad news on the Front Page,
BIOweenia said goodbye in a heated rage.
I can't remember if I cried
When I heard that TORN was recently fried,
But sadness touched me deep inside,
The day...Black Isle died.

For tarna, Visc, an' the rest o' the ol' Islanders that fell along the way

SLI doesn't do any good except with games that were specifically coded to take advantage of the technology. even then, the performance isn't good enough to justify two $400 video cards.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

I have a Radeon 9600.

Too bad I've had no trouble with any of the forementioned games :devil:

I had a 9600 Pro. Worked perfectly in NWN and KOTOR. :)

Me too, I've always had Radeon cards, no problems until KOTOR2, just some random game crashes, about 1 every hour or two. I have a 9600 pro right now. I might consider a nVidia card but I have a Shuttle mini-PC, some video cards are too large or generate too much heat.

Anyway, I've always used ATI cards and did not have any problems, until KOTOR2.

I have'nt upgraded my drivers in a while, I wonder if it would fix my problems or make them worse?

I have a Radeon 9600.

Too bad I've had no trouble with any of the forementioned games ;)

We are brethren in this torment :(

Add me to the list, though I've only played NWN on a friends box (ick), so I MIGHT run into problems if I tried to run it on this one...don't really know.

SLI doesn't do any good except with games that were specifically coded to take advantage of the technology.  even then, the performance isn't good enough to justify two $400 video cards.

taks

Eep, hadn't heard about this taks, any articles or such, I'd been thinking about crossing over (even though I'm an ATI fanboi) because of the appeal of adding a second SLI card to my rig and doubling performance when they'd dropped down to the $150 price range and I was in need of an upgrade.

I have a Radeon 9600.

Too bad I've had no trouble with any of the forementioned games :(

Me too, I've always had Radeon cards, no problems until KOTOR2, just some random game crashes, about 1 every hour or two. I have a 9600 pro right now. I might consider a nVidia card but I have a Shuttle mini-PC, some video cards are too large or generate too much heat.

Anyway, I've always used ATI cards and did not have any problems, until KOTOR2.

I have'nt upgraded my drivers in a while, I wonder if it would fix my problems or make them worse?

Wait....without spoilers, how bad are these bugs, I might have to hold off on purchasing even longer (not that that's a problem, I've got Torment, the Fallouts, and Baldur's Gate in my hot little hands, I don't really need it right now, especially with Bloodmoney and Chaos Theory hitting shelves right quick).

15 hrs into the game, and all I've had is the occasional crash to desktop during some area transitions. A mild inconvenience which takes 30 secs to rectify,

My experience is pretty much the same. Its not a big deal to me (I can use that break every 2 hours or so, if just to remind me to look at the clock and remember all the productive things I should be doing).

I've been playing primarily on my laptop, which has a radeon 9000. I haven't played enough on my desktop (which has an equally antiquated GeForce 3) to compare the stability, though.

Eep, hadn't heard about this taks, any articles or such, I'd been thinking about crossing over (even though I'm an ATI fanboi) because of the appeal of adding a second SLI card to my rig and doubling performance when they'd dropped down to the $150 price range and I was in need of an upgrade.

article here.

oh, and you don't necessarily get 2x performance... "up to" is the claim, but that only depends on the limiting factor with the game. if it's processor limited, you won't see any increase. besides, even if you do get an improvement, what difference is 200 frames over 100? :thumbsup:

taks

comrade taks... just because.

article here.

oh, and you don't necessarily get 2x performance... "up to" is the claim, but that only depends on the limiting factor with the game. if it's processor limited, you won't see any increase. besides, even if you do get an improvement, what difference is 200 frames over 100? :)

taks

I didn't mean now taks, I meant some time down the road. i.e. when I upgrade now, I buy one, when I'm looking for a cheap performance upgrade in the distant future when the price has dropped I buy another. Anyhow, reading the article.

taks how can SLI require it being taken into acount when the game was being made to get an improvement, when the tecnology (in this incarnation) is so new that there can't be many games that have specific code for SLI out now.

I have seen testreports that show improvements in halfnew to new titles?

PS. linky times out for me...