SOLLUTIONS TO PROBLEMS

Anybody have a tip for how to INSTALL THE DAMN GAME? I get a "Wrong volume" error half-way through the second disc on install.

i had the same problem between disc 2 and disc 3. i solved by copying the entire content of the 4 cds on the hard disk and launching setup from there.

just create a directory with the same name of the cd label (not sure if this is necessary but i did so) and copy the entire cd1 in it, then copy the "data" files (the big ones) from the other cds and start setup from your new directory.

you still need cd1 in the drive to play of course, .it will be requested towards the end of installation.

it worked for me, i hope will be useful to you too

bye

stefano

I must admit i wont be purchasing anymore Obsidian games in the future until they have been out long enough so i can see how buggy they are. i.e. when they are in the bargain bins.

Oh come off it. You make it sound like it is the end of the world or something. There have been plenty of other games that were more buggy when they were release than KotOR 2. Ultima 9, Pool of Radiance 2, Neverwinter Nights, Temple of Elemental Evil, and so forth and so on. A patch is being made so reign in the "I am never buying another game from them." Buggy games on release is not a big deal. How well they support the game afterwards is. If they don't support the game then I am in full agreement.

I don't think it's obsidian's fault... More likely LA rushed them to get it out... Which would also explain the 'lets put all the toys back in the box' ending and missing bits of story (HK tells you about a droid factory but it never shows up in the game etc.)

However, the main problems in terms of bugs that I've seen actually fixed seems to be the ATI card crash issue (moving from one area to another and the game crashes) this is fixed by simply updating the drivers.

However, there is one bug that I can't fix... Whenever I enter a swoop race my swoop appears on the ceiling. Meaning I can't hit boosters or anything like that. Any suggestions?

However, the main problems in terms of bugs that I've seen actually fixed seems to be the ATI card crash issue (moving from one area to another and the game crashes) this is fixed by simply updating the drivers.

However, there is one bug that I can't fix... Whenever I enter a swoop race my swoop appears on the ceiling. Meaning I can't hit boosters or anything like that. Any suggestions?

I haven't tried updating my drivers yet, if the inbetween scene bug is due to that I will do - I have it crash every 3-4 scene changes, and after a few hours of that the textures become missing and corrupted.

EDIT - tried this, seems to have fixed textures, I'll let you guys know on the scene change thing.

RE the swoop racing bug - this is how I fixed it:

1) Only race once, unless you win reload the save before you started, as the scripting is really flawed (as far as I can tell, coming 2nd, 3rd or forfeiting breaks the scripting).

2) The workaround to the ceiling bug (which only occurs on Taris from what I have seen) is this - at the start tap right mouse button to jump before immediately hitting left mouse button (I'm guessing the initial height variable is set wrong) - your swoop will do a little hop but set you back at the right height with only a slight delay - its still possible to win the race with a good run.

But even after I got the damn thing installed, I can create a character and get the opening scrawl but after the wreck of the ship flies past toward Pegarus the screen goes blank.  Any ideas?

I had the same problem I solved it by updating my drivers to the latest Omega Drivers.

Hope that helps.

I have the same problem too, im not too PC inclined to know where or how to update my drivers....can someone please tell me how to do this????

thanks....

Alright, now I am completely frustrated.

The 1/4 load bug is now making me rip my hair out. I've tried everything suggested here, nothing works.

Its been bugging me since I brought the game, but I've been able to 'fix' it by reverting to an earlier save. And by making a new save after every new room.

But now it hangs while loading ALL my recent saves. Unless I want to re-do 2 days worth of playing, I'm buggered. I'm on the Dxun moon, I've done all the forest quests and I was hopefully just about to get off the damned mud ball.

This is the most bug riddled game I've ever played... but I might actually be able to have fun with it if I could continue my damned game.

Calantyr, I have the exact same problem. No sight of the driver in my win32 directory, either.

I HAVE notived that I can reload AUTOSAVES only, and they work fine. Does that work for you? It lets me play the game, at least.

"Fix for problems with VIA chipset - works for nVidia, not sure about ATI

Okay, this is a bit round about but it seems to work well and other people have confirmed it.

Go into device manager and open the System Devices tab. Dbl click on VIA CPU to AGP bridge (or equivalent depending upon your driver version). In the Driver tab, click update driver. Don't let Windows update connect to look online, and say you want to install a specific driver from a list or location. Remove the "show compatible hardware" check box, and look for the FIRST (Very Very Important - you won't bugger anything up, but the fix won't work otherwise) entry regarding VIA CPU to AGP bridge. Select it and install the driver, ignoring the useless Microsoft compatibility warning (it's actually one of their versions of the driver). Restart.

Fixes problems with Nvogl and most D3D games, not sure about the FMV bug. It's odd to have to go back to a prior version of the VIA AGP driver like this, but the current one is beyond useless and utterly bug ridden. It just doesn't like the new nVidia cards at all...

As I mentioned, no idea if this will resolve any problems on a VIA chipset running an ATI card, but worth a try don't you think - there seems to be a fundamental flaw in the VIA hyperion drivers and I think it's infinitely more likely that a bug in Hyperion is responsible for lots of these VIA errors than untold numbers of defective cards.

Hope this helps, and let me know how it works for you."

I had the 1/3 loading problem, and no WNASPI32.dll file in WINDOWS\System32. Just for the heck of it, I did a system search for this file, and found it elsewhere, more precisely in my CD burner application directory. I renamed the file, and to my big surprise, I was able to load again!

Moral of the story, do not only check in the WINDOWS\System32 directory.

But even after I got the damn thing installed, I can create a character and get the opening scrawl but after the wreck of the ship flies past toward Pegarus the screen goes blank.  Any ideas?

I had the same problem I solved it by updating my drivers to the latest Omega Drivers.

Hope that helps.

I have the same problem too, im not too PC inclined to know where or how to update my drivers....can someone please tell me how to do this????

thanks....

I ran into the same problem with my ATI X300 card. You create a character, it plays the initial movie, gets ready to switch to game play, and blank screen-dead. CTRL-ALT-DEL brings up the Task Manager and you can exit the game. A short term solution was to turn off the movies. On the initial start up, there is an option for Configure. One of the check boxes is to disable the movies. It worked fine after that through the whole game. It seems to be an issue switching back and forth from the game graphics page to movies and back again. You lose some of the fun with the movies, but cut-scenes and conversations all happen normally.

Good Luck.

i have kotor 2 and im on the dxun moon and at that part after you do all the forest quests where you have to fightvthe sith assassins, i seem to have developed the 1/3 loading bug and have tried everything that this forum has suggested, and its only the one save game that i have that wont load, the autosaves will load annd so will other saves but those are atleast an hour before my main save, what should i do?

i got this 1/3 bug how do i get of with it + sometimes the computer restarts or just lagg and then need to restart plzz help

my system is:

AMD ATHLON XP 3200+ 2.19 GHz, 1,00 GB RAM

ATI RADEON 9600 SERIES 256MB

NVIDIA nForce Audio Codec Interface :)

i have tryed the Wnaspi32.dll thing but the only thing it finds is something cald "corecomp" :)

To Ellie -

Thanks for your advice; prior to posting I had found the WNASPI driver in a different directory, and renamed it, rebooted, no change.  I still can't load non-autosaves.  But, once again, thanks for trying!

Thanks. It's strange, since I did the change yesterday, I had no more loading bugs. And I reloaded a couple of times, either quicksaves or full saves.

Hi, first of all sorry about my poor English as long as it ins't my home language :">.

I have the next problem:

When I speak with Zherron and tell him to speak about how to organize the battle (I gess it might be the last time you speak with him before the battle with the mercenaries), when he finishes speaking the game stops :blink:, with the blue subtitle on the screen and if i click or press any button to continue nothing happens. If i press Alt+F4 the exit menu appears and i can exit to windows, but if I reload, i have the same problem. I tried going back to Telos and recalling to Dantooine but the problem is still there.

I have a Pentium IV 1,7, 512 MB, GF 4200 Ti 64Mb, and it works very well at 800x640 at intermediate quality.

Thank you :).

Regarding 1/3 Loading issue...

I have nvidia 9700-Ultra card.  Probably irrelevant.

Anyway, I tried all the hints given, including latest video drivers, older video drivers, turning off anti-aliasing, turning off sound, going back to save game right before going into mode where Loading locks up - nothing!

What finally worked for me was I had to go way back to a far-previously saved game (probably only 30-40 minutes of actual game time, but who likes to repeat things...)  Followed mostly the same actions and battle sequences, yet surprisingly, at the time of reckoning - everything worked fine!  Load proceeded as normal and game continued onwards.

For those interested, my loading issue occurred while leaving Telos on Ebon Hawk.

I had the follow problem:

* When getting off Telos polar base I get a black screen upon entering ebon hawk.

* I can't move but can take medpaks etc by clicking around in the screen.

* I can bring up my stats & journals etc

* I can save but when loading I get the 1/3 - 1/4 load problem where the loading process just sits there.

* Using a slightly older save doesn't help

* Using the saves on another computer with different hardware and different drivers didn't help

My hardware:

* 3200+ 939/754 and nvidia 6800/4600 with SB Live 5.1 DE/ZS Pro

I tried:

* Uninstall current nvidia display drivers and reinstall all sorts of leaked and beta and official drivers from 66.x to 71.x.

* Tried to reinstall DX9.0c off the kotor cd 1 but I dont think that did anything

* Tried to change every setting that I could

The fix:

* I noticed my party was a party of 1 (being my main char)

* Loaded back just far enough where my party was still a full party

* Tried again - and it works!

The reason for breaking:

* Therefore something broke (whilst I was fighting handmaidens on Telos) that caused Bao-Dur and Atton to disappear from my party

* And since the game prohibits party changes on the telos polar base the only way to fix this is to reload back.

* So when I got onto the Ebon Hawk the in game cut scene that was supposed to be started by Atton didn't start because he wasn't in my party.

I wonder if this can fix other situations where the game expects someone to be in your party but for some reason that person isn't. I'm not sure why this would cause the 1/3 load bug though.

everytime i start the game, the usual xp error message pops up (the one that says send error report or dont send) and i am forced to quit the game, this happens everytime immediately after the game starts loading, ive installed directx 9.0, reinstalled the game, and ive updated my driver, nothing seems to stop this problem. Please help kthx

Anybody have a tip for how to INSTALL THE DAMN GAME? I get a "Wrong volume" error half-way through the second disc on install.

Have you tried turning any firewall or antivirus programs off???

I had the same problem, the answer is simple

If you have the wrong volume, simply insert disk 1# the play disk, then it will prompt you to insert antoher disk after you press retry

throw that disk in and you can download whatevers on that disk, it might happen with the next few disks, also turn of your filters or firewalls while downloading

Can someone help me? when I go onto KoToR 2 I can get past designing my character but after it stops downloading the computer stops and goes black

any Ideas on whats happening, I'm fresh out of ideas. I have no reds on my scan btw

Can you post your swkotor2.ini and swinfo.txt files?

The main things I can think of are that you might have CD backup software installed, might have an older video or sound card, or that your system drivers aren't up to date(video, sound, motherboard).

Can someone help me? when I go onto KoToR 2 I can get past designing my character but after it stops downloading the computer stops and goes black

any Ideas on whats happening, I'm fresh out of ideas. I have no reds on my scan btw

Can you post your swkotor2.ini and swinfo.txt files?

The main things I can think of are that you might have CD backup software installed, might have an older video or sound card, or that your system drivers aren't up to date(video, sound, motherboard).

[Display Options]

FullScreen=1

Disable Movies=0

Disable Intro Movies=0

Sort Modules=1

Width=640

Height=480

BitsPerPixels=32

RefreshRate=60

[sound Options]

Number 3D Voices=32

Number 2D Voices=32

2D3D Bias=1.00

EAX=0

Sound Init=0

Disable Sound=0

Force Software=0

[Graphics Options]

EnableHardwareMouse=1

FullScreen=0

RefreshRate=60

Width=800

Height=600

Emitters=1

Anisotropy=1

Frame Buffer=1

Soft Shadows=1

Brightness=57

V-Sync=0

Texture Quality=2

Anti Aliasing=0

[Game Options]

UnlockedPlanetSongs=1

TooltipDelay Sec=1

Disable Movies=1

[config]

firstrun=0

[Keymapping]

Action286B=8

Action286A=7

Action285B=10

Action285A=9

Action284B=54

Action284A=51

Action283B=54

Action283A=51

Action282B=69

Action282A=73

Action281B=53

Action281A=76

Action280B=69

Action280A=73

Action268=52

Action265=58

Action264=57

Action263=43

Action262=85

Action261=84

Action260=83

Action259=82

Action258=81

Action257=80

Action256=79

Action255=78

Action254=77

Action253=31

Action245=75

Action244=55

Action243=67

Action242=74

Action241=87

Action240=56

Action239=68

Action238=82

Action236=83

Action234=81

Action232=80

Action230=79

Action228=78

Action226=77

Action225=70

Action224=90

Action223=31

Action222=25

Action221=24

Action220=29

Action219=28

Action218=42

Action217=87

Action216=65

Action215=63

Action214=60

Action213=62

Action212=61

Action211=66

Action210=59

Action209=71

Action208=89

Action207=72

Action206=30

Action205=55

Action204=67

and I don't know where my Info is, Ill give it to u if you tell me where it is, if u wanna see my graphics system (can't remeber it right now) go to my post called Help! its there

One at a time, try setting Frame Buffer to 0 (disabled), try setting Force Software to 1 (disables hardware acceleration), try setting Disable Sound to 1 (disables sound completely).

Regardless of the above helping or not, add Disable Vertex Buffer Objects=1 under [Graphics Options].

You can get a swinfo.txt file by running the swconfig program in your SWKotor2 directory and clicking Scan Hardware. It will then give you the option to save the results as a text file.

One at a time, try setting Frame Buffer to 0 (disabled), try setting Force Software to 1 (disables hardware acceleration), try setting Disable Sound to 1 (disables sound completely).

Regardless of the above helping or not, add Disable Vertex Buffer Objects=1 under [Graphics Options].

You can get a swinfo.txt file by running the swconfig program in your SWKotor2 directory and clicking Scan Hardware. It will then give you the option to save the results as a text file.

okay first things first. My sound card is awesome and I don't want to disable it >_<. What would be the purpose of it? anyway , I'll try what you suggested anyway, Heres that Swinfo u wanted

[sWKotOR]

ReportDateTime=2/25/2005 11:01:51 AM

SysInfoVersion=v1.00.60

GameExists=1

GameVersion=v2.00.424

GameInstallLocation=C:\Program Files\LucasArts\SWKotOR2\

[OS]

Name=WinXP

Version=Windows XP v5.1 build 2600 Service Pack 2

Service Pack=Service Pack 2

Status=Pass

[swapFiles]

C:\pagefile.sys=4096

[CPU]

CPUCount=1

CPUSpeed=2394

CPUFamily=15

CPUModel=2

CPUStepping=9

CPUVendor=Intel

CPUName= Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 2.40GHz

Status=Pass

[Memory]

RAM=256

Status=Warning

[Disk Free Space]

C: (NTFS), UNICODE=2.89GB

Status=Pass

[CD-ROMs]

DriveLetters=D:\

Drives=QSI CDRW/DVD SBW-242

[Video]

Video Card Name=Intel® 82865G Graphics Controller

Video Memory=128

Desktop Resolution=1024x768x32 @ 60Hz

DirectX=DirectX 9.0c (4.09.00.0904)

OpenGL Version=1.4.0 - Build 4.14.10.3762

OpenGL Vendor=Intel

OpenGL Renderer=Intel 865G

Vid Card Status=Warning

Vid Card Driver Status=Pass

GL Status=Pass

DX Status=Pass

[Audio]

Sound Card Name=SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio

Status=Pass

;Game Options from swkotor2.ini

[Display Options]

FullScreen=1

Disable Movies=0

Disable Intro Movies=0

Sort Modules=1

Width=640

Height=480

BitsPerPixels=32

RefreshRate=60

[sound Options]

Number 3D Voices=32

Number 2D Voices=32

2D3D Bias=1.00

EAX=0

Sound Init=0

Disable Sound=0

Force Software=0

[Graphics Options]

EnableHardwareMouse=1

FullScreen=0

RefreshRate=60

Width=800

Height=600

Emitters=1

Anisotropy=1

Frame Buffer=1

Soft Shadows=1

Brightness=57

V-Sync=0

Texture Quality=2

Anti Aliasing=0

[Game Options]

UnlockedPlanetSongs=1

TooltipDelay Sec=1

Disable Movies=1

[config]

firstrun=0

[Keymapping]

Action286B=8

Action286A=7

Action285B=10

Action285A=9

Action284B=54

Action284A=51

Action283B=54

Action283A=51

Action282B=69

Action282A=73

Action281B=53

Action281A=76

Action280B=69

Action280A=73

Action268=52

Action265=58

Action264=57

Action263=43

Action262=85

Action261=84

Action260=83

Action259=82

Action258=81

Action257=80

Action256=79

Action255=78

Action254=77

Action253=31

Action245=75

Action244=55

Action243=67

Action242=74

Action241=87

Action240=56

Action239=68

Action238=82

Action236=83

Action234=81

Action232=80

Action230=79

Action228=78

Action226=77

Action225=70

Action224=90

Action223=31

Action222=25

Action221=24

Action220=29

Action219=28

Action218=42

Action217=87

Action216=65

Action215=63

Action214=60

Action213=62

Action212=61

Action211=66

Action210=59

Action209=71

Action208=89

Action207=72

Action206=30

Action205=55

Action204=67

long uch!

Well David, I see you're using Intel onboard graphics, and I think onboard sound. Is this a laptop?

Intel graphics are officially unsupported for KOTOR 2 and have caused many problems for people in modern games. If you're using a desktop system, I suggest purchasing an ATI or nVidia graphics card.

Your sound might sound good, but if you disable it and the game works, then we know KOTOR 2 is having a problem with it. We could then concentrate on that issue. As long as the sound chipset is DirectX 9 compatible, you should be fine, though.

I also see you seem to have 256Mb of memory. That's a problem. 256Mb is the bare minimum needed for the game, and you're sharing that memory with Windows and any other programs you have in the background. Upgrading to 512Mb or 1024Mb would be a HUGE improvement for your system.

You said that disabling options didn't help..that's about all I can suggest other than upgrading your system. You would reduce memory usage and possibly improve the stability of the game by lowering texture quality, turning off frame buffer, adding Disable Vertex Buffers=1 under [Graphics Options] and in general trying as minimal a config as you can.

Well David, I see you're using Intel onboard graphics, and I think onboard sound. Is this a laptop?

Intel graphics are officially unsupported for KOTOR 2 and have caused many problems for people in modern games. If you're using a desktop system, I suggest purchasing an ATI or nVidia graphics card.

Your sound might sound good, but if you disable it and the game works, then we know KOTOR 2 is having a problem with it. We could then concentrate on that issue. As long as the sound chipset is DirectX 9 compatible, you should be fine, though.

I also see you seem to have 256Mb of memory. That's a problem. 256Mb is the bare minimum needed for the game, and you're sharing that memory with Windows and any other programs you have in the background. Upgrading to 512Mb or 1024Mb would be a HUGE improvement for your system.

You said that disabling options didn't help..that's about all I can suggest other than upgrading your system. You would reduce memory usage and possibly improve the stability of the game by lowering texture quality, turning off frame buffer, adding Disable Vertex Buffers=1 under [Graphics Options] and in general trying as minimal a config as you can.

Okay, so thats that, but even though my card is "officially unsupported" It also meets the bare minimum of graphics card requierments. My brothers theory now is that maybe My ram is to low and the begining of the game requiers a ton of ram otherwise, aafter I get through it, I can play. to test that theory, can one of you attach a saved game at the begining of the game. Also, How would I upgrade my RAM? would I just by a larger hard drive, what would I have to buy or do? I know I keep ponding you guys with questions (thanks for all the answers) but please hang in thier and help me if u can.