Should Revan Have An "Offical" Gender?

In addition, not having a fixed story line means no one can make a Star Wars boot on KOTOR, and would be hard for future Star War books to mention KOTOR in it. KOTOR would exist less in the SW universe because future authors/game makers would be detered to involve the KOTOR characters and keep true to the official Star Wars storyline because it has so many possible storylines that not one of them can be official, and picking the wrong choice means they go bankrupt. And THAT would suck for KOTOR existing prominently in Star Wars universe in the long run.

Unless you don't plan on having KOTOR existing prominently in Star Wars universe, but keep it a seperate thing from SW all together? That would suck for the other Star Wars fans to isolate KOTOR in such a manner.

I hope I make it clear so you understand my POV, although you don't have to agree with it.

KotOR already appears in the SW universe. Phantom quoted reams of it in another thread.

Yes, but very limited however, as I mentioned. The characters won't be mentioned as much because they are so vague. Is Revan a male/female/light/dark in that thing you mentioned from Phantom's thread? Even if some of the settings of KOTOR gets mentioned often later in the SW universe, the characters that aren't fixed sure as hell won't be mentioned a fraction as often as if they were fixed.

Example- You can't write a book with Revan or Exile as the main character because you don't know what he/she is? You can't mention Bastilla, Junahi, Jolee, Mission, etc because all their fate depends on a fixed Revan setting. Just by you mentioning Jolee for example (just mentioning, put having as a main character aside), it means Revan is light side, because otherwise he'd be dead. Unless it's a pre-KOTOR story of Jolee, but you can't get anymore post-KOTOR stories of either one of those characters.

Thereby isolating KOTOR from SW universe and that's bad for KOTOR in the long run.

My point is that it is entirely possible to be non-specific about it.

It is possible, but not very plausible, unless you create every movie, every cut-scene an every dialog in double. An even than it would still remain the doubts about Revan's alignment.

What I am trying to say is it's perfectly possible to do it in the way it was done for KoTOR 2, but despite the several references to Revan, he/she doesn't have a major role on the game. He plays a role in the storyline (with the references) but it's not a character per se in this game. And I want him to have an effective role in the next installment.

Yes, but very limited however, as I mentioned. The characters won't be mentioned as much because they are so vague. Is Revan a male/female/light/dark in that thing you mentioned from Phantom's thread? Even if some of the settings of KOTOR gets mentioned often later in the SW universe, the characters that aren't fixed sure as hell won't be mentioned a fraction as often as if they were fixed.

So what? What exactly are you wanting? I don't understand -- you want the KotOR games to be referenced in detail in the other SW literature -- is that right?

Why?

And why is that more important than including everybody who played the games in the community, of respecting the zeitgeist of KotOR?

Would you be prepared to have Revan as a female? Would that still be okay? What about if she were DS. Is that okay? Just so long as she is categorised and labelled, so that she can be referred to in other comics and the greater EU?

I think it is better on all counts to have a non-specific Revan and Exile: bathed in myth. Just so I don't exclude you from my vision of Revan and you don't exclude me from yours.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

And I want him to have an effective role in the next installment.

You want that, but you don't know if that will be the case.

Assuming there even is a third game in the first place.

Please review my fanfic!

Atton's Redemption

Atton's Motivation July 30: CHAPTER 26 is up!

--------------

DISCLAIMER: These posts may contain humour. No warranties as to the gelogenic qualities, either expressed or implied, are undertaken by the undersigned. All rights reserved. This does not affect your IQ. Any issues, see your psychologist or increase your dosage. --Metadigital

My point is that it is entirely possible to be non-specific about it.

It is possible, but not very plausible, unless you create every movie, every cut-scene an every dialog in double. An even than it would still remain the doubts about Revan's alignment.

What I am trying to say is it's perfectly possible to do it in the way it was done for KoTOR 2, but despite the several references to Revan, he/she doesn't have a major role on the game. He plays a role in the storyline (with the references) but it's not a character per se in this game. And I want him to have an effective role in the next installment.

Then have Revan as a PC, so that we can choose. That way, barring any surgical alteration -- which seems beyond the scope of the SW universe, you will have Revan as an integral part of the story and not isolate anyone from the community.

Problem solved.

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

4. Head off sexist views, like the one you are espousing, whilst pretending to hide behind some artificial ex cathedra GL Papal Bull to "make the stories canon".

How was I being sexist? :thumbsup: I especifically said i would not care if Revan was male or female in my first post.

Show me my sexist comments.

Your point of view, whether intentional or not, is sexist. You are stating that -- for whatever reason, and they are hardly legitimate concerns -- characters that people have played in a game, PCs -- who, if the developers have done their job the audience have indetified with and share empathy with -- should be made in your image. That, even you don't regard it as sexist, is selfish, because you are advocating your wants over others to their exclusion. At the least you are insensitive.

So take your pick. Are you sexist or selfish, or insensitive?

I never said I would want Revan should be made regarding my own image of him or her. I only said I would like to see an official gender for Revan in KoTOR 3 so he can have a more active role in the game and the way I see there are only two ways to do it. He can have an official gender or will be the PC, but that's unlikely to happen. I said before and I will say it again, since you apparently missed it before: I DON'T CARE IF HE IS A MAN OR A WOMAN! And I don't want it to be made from my own image. I don't care. They can make a poll between the fans or they can let you choose. I don't care.

Then have Revan as a PC, so that we can choose. That way, barring any surgical alteration -- which seems beyond the scope of the SW universe, you will have Revan as an integral part of the story and not isolate anyone from the community.

Yes. It would solve the problem for Revan. But if you follow the storyline, the Exile would have to be on KoTOR 3 and we would have the same problem.

See that I am not trying to impose my will over yours. I don't think some big shot on Lucas Arts is gonna see my post and say hey: Look at what this guy is saying. Let's do KoTOR 3 the way he wants!

I am merely expressing my opinions, OK? :cool:

Yes. It would solve the problem for Revan. But if you follow the storyline, the Exile would have to be on KoTOR 3 and we would have the same problem.

See that I am not trying to impose my will over yours. I don't think some big shot on Lucas Arts is gonna see my post and say hey: Look at what this guy is saying. Let's do KoTOR 3 the way he wants!

I am merely expressing my opinions, OK? :cool:

You could play both Revan and the Exile as PCs, like the second part of Dxun writ large. :thumbsup:

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

So what? What exactly are you wanting? I don't understand -- you want the KotOR games to be referenced in detail in the other SW literature -- is that right?

Why?

And why is that more important than including everybody who played the games in the community, of respecting the zeitgeist of KotOR?

Would you be prepared to have Revan as a female? Would that still be okay? What about if she were DS. Is that okay? Just so long as she is categorised and labelled, so that she can be referred to in other comics and the greater EU?

I think it is better on all counts to have a non-specific Revan and Exile: bathed in myth. Just so I don't exclude you from my vision of Revan and you don't exclude me from yours.

I thought I made it clear. Do I think KOTOR should be reference in detail in other SW literature? Of course. Why? Because I think it's better if KOTOR can exist more better than just an RPG and an imagination in everybody's head based upon the settings of a world famous great trilogy. I'm fine with anything as long as it is fixed. But if you take a poll from all Star Wars fans on whether to make Revan/exile as male/female, I suppose that male would be voted for more by the mainstream. The word is up to LA, but they are a profit organization and generally base their choices to maximize profit. I could be wrong, however. I'm always open to a female Revan/exile as long as the setting is fixed and not loose to leave to everyone's imagination which will limit its effect from the SW universe. If you don't agree, why don't you make your own story where a female is the hero? Why use Star Wars, which started as a fixed trilogy and has been the source of interlinked entertainment ever since.

Example- You can't write a book with Revan or Exile as the main character because you don't know what he/she is? You can't mention Bastilla, Junahi, Jolee, Mission, etc because all their fate depends on a fixed Revan setting. Just by you mentioning Jolee for example (just mentioning, put having as a main character aside), it means Revan is light side, because otherwise he'd be dead. Unless it's a pre-KOTOR story of Jolee, but you can't get anymore post-KOTOR stories of either one of those characters.

And even if you aren't open to a fixed male Revan, but rather a non-fixed setting open to your own imagination, having a fixed storyline should make everybody happy because you can always have a female Revan exist in your own imagination and ignore the fixed storyline, no?

I thought I made it clear. Do I think KOTOR should be reference in detail in other SW literature? Of course. Why? Because I think it's better if KOTOR can exist more better than just an RPG and an imagination in everybody's head based upon the settings of a world famous great trilogy. I'm fine with anything as long as it is fixed. But if you take a poll from all Star Wars fans on whether to make Revan/exile as male/female, I suppose that male would be voted for more by the mainstream. The word is up to LA, but they are a profit organization and generally base their choices to maximize profit. I could be wrong, however. I'm always open to a female Revan/exile as long as the setting is fixed and not loose to leave to everyone's imagination which will limit its effect from the SW universe. If you don't agree, why don't you make your own story where a female is the hero? Why use Star Wars, which started as a fixed trilogy and has been the source of interlinked entertainment ever since.

And even if you aren't open to a fixed male Revan, but rather a non-fixed setting open to your own imagination, having a fixed storyline should make everybody happy because you can always have a female Revan exist in your own imagination and ignore the fixed storyline, no?

Agre to disagree then.

I think it is mad choosing a gender for Revan and the Exile just so you can write some novelisaton about Jolee Bindo after KotOR, or Hanharr after KotOR2, for example. Just restrict your fiction to before the games. There's plenty of scope for padding out the stories before-hand, and the epic quality of the games means that very little could happen afterwards (or before, if you ask me) that could compare to the plots of the games.

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

You could play both Revan and the Exile as PCs, like the second part of Dxun writ large. :thumbsup:

It would work plotwise, and it would be really cool if we could play both of them, but I don't think it would be that easy though.

But I really like that idea. :)

I think Revan should have been DS Male, and KOTOR 2 should have ended with Revan climbing aboard the Ebon Hawk and killing everyone and then after killing everyone he just starts hacking up the controls and waits for the Exile....

...Then the Exile comes aboard and then Revan runs ontop of the Ebon Hawk, and theres a faceoff ontop of the Ebon Hawk and Revan smashes the Exile and uses force push to discard of his body off of the top of the Ebon Hawk and Revan goes back inside and reclaims his ship.

you're either as nutty as a fruitcake or as crazy as the idea you just made. :lol: :ph34r: :huh:

I think Revan should have been DS Male, and KOTOR 2 should have ended with Revan climbing aboard the Ebon Hawk and killing everyone and then after killing everyone he just starts hacking up the controls and waits for the Exile....

...Then the Exile comes aboard and then Revan runs ontop of the Ebon Hawk, and theres a faceoff ontop of the Ebon Hawk and Revan smashes the Exile and uses force push to discard of his body off of the top of the Ebon Hawk and Revan goes back inside and reclaims his ship.

you're either as nutty as a fruitcake or as crazy as the idea you just made. :lol: :ph34r: :huh:

It

I think it is mad choosing a gender for Revan and the Exile just so you can write some novelisaton about Jolee Bindo after KotOR, or Hanharr after KotOR2, for example. Just restrict your fiction to before the games. There's plenty of scope for padding out the stories before-hand, and the epic quality of the games means that very little could happen afterwards (or before, if you ask me) that could compare to the plots of the games.

Mad because you don't read the novels? There's more than just novels. And there is more to KOTOR than just an RPG that you can play a finite number of times before the fun factor starts to fade, and RPG that is probably going to end after KOTOR 3 if it hadn't ended already. As I mentioned in my last line, why would it hurt to to have a fixed story line? If you want a epic story of your own to exist in your imagination, by all means, your mind is yours. :) How hard would it be to ignore something beyond this game that I don't see possibly capable of hurting your imagination one bit?

I presume you're afriad that a fixed storyline would ruin your "own imaginative ideal storyline" for your own epic in your imagination. I assume that's what you're arguing for, since I already said I'm alright with all the possibilities including a female Revan as long as it is fixed. Why else would you oppose such a simple reasoning? Again, would it be so hard to ignore the fixed storyline if all you just want is to have something that exists in your own imagination?