Which is more of a true RPG?

EnderAndrew

Diablo is a true RPG, because it allows you LIVE-ACTION ROLEPLAYING CHOICES. From the moment you are drawn into the character creation menu, you know that this is a TRUE RPG with DEEP roleplaying options. Will you play the wimpy mage, or the naked guy, or the stereotypical amazoness. Truly the number of choices thrown at you is overwhelming, a standard offering of true RPGs. As soon as you choose your character, again the game shows its true nature as a deep RPG by allowing you the roleplaying choice to name your character HOWEVER YOU CHOOSE. Roleplaying at its finest, for indeed the choice is completely yours. There's no 'illusion' here, the tyranny of choice is FULLY applied, and the choices will affect your gameplay experience as true RPGs do. As  you roleplay and choose wisely who your TRUE ROLEPLAYING character will be, you are treated to a cutscene. But not just ANY cutscene. A LIVE-ACTION ROLEPLAYING cutscene. At the very beginning is yet another choice thrown at you. Do you skip it immediately, or immerse yourself further into the deep roleplaying story by observing what happens in the cutscene. Finally, as you made the ultimate choice, you begin the game.

I shan't say anything further for fear of spoiling the game and its brilliant storyline. But know this: the live-action roleplaying choices the game offers WILL overwhelm you, and you will know what true gaming is. Indeed, this is a RPG.

Two words you Hades wannabe:

Click fest. <_<

manthing2.jpg

"KOTOR was developed as an XBox exclusive title."

Simply not true. KOTOR was never gonna be an 'x-box exlusive'. It was always gonna be a PC/X-BOX dual platform title.

Jade Empire, however, is a different story if it's actually released for PC eventually.

Anyone whoe ven tries to comapre Diablo's dialogue to FF is just being silly. FF's dialogue is 100x better than "Me go smash bug for you" found in Diablo.

True, actual choices that matter in FF dialogue ar enot common palce (but they do exist); but what dialogue ther eis and there's a lot is usually wellw ritten and some of the more emaningful dialogue in *any* game.

FF1 and a few others not counting.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I find this thread fairly humorous.

ANY game can be a 'RPG' by definition. There is no 'this game has to have this aspect to be a RPG' except personal opinion or preference.

To get to the core of the matter define what 'RPG' is. In effect a game where you place yourself in the role of the PC. That's it.

Thus if you play most any game with that mind set you are, technically, playing a 'RPG'.

ie. playing doom with the midset your a marine trapped on mars, playing simcity 4 with the mindset your a new mayor with asperations of greatness, playing mechcommander 2 with the mindset your a merc out to make a buck and couldnt care less about loyalites, playing deus ex that your j.c. and your riding the forefront of a world conspiricy, etc..

This thread is nothing more then personal opinion and preference, which is fine and everyone is entitled too. But it in no way delutes the fact what a RPG is and always has been.

My 2 coppers

Admin of World of Darkness Online News

News/Community site for the WoD MMORPG

http://www.wodonlinenews.net

---

Jericho sassed me so I broke into his house and stabbed him to death in his sleep. Problem solved. - J.E. Sawyer

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

---

Expecting "innovation" from Bioware is like expecting "normality" from Valve -Moatilliatta

I see you still haven't learned the fundamental difference between correlation and causation.

Well done.

Well, since every console "CRPG" that I have played has been rather simplistic, from Adventure! to FInal Fantasy 10 by my experience that console CRPGs are simplistic and those of console origins or made to have console aspects to them are just as simplistic. Frankly, there has been only 1 console CRPG that I was a challenge to me and that was the Sega CD title Dark Wizard, but it was a mix of CRPG and Tactical war game. Very well done I have to say.

To get to the core of the matter define what 'RPG' is. In effect a game where you place yourself in the role of the PC. That's it.

The genre label "RPG" is a different beast to "role-playing".

People spend far too much time fussing about genre. In the industry RPGs tend to come down to statistics. If the gameplay centers around earning experience in some form and using it to build up stats and skills, then it's considered an RPG. If the stats play a much smaller role, then they are marketed as "RPG elements".

Gamers value different things in RPGs, for example I've heard many people say that if it doesn't allow you to make your own character then it's not an RPG. Stuff like that always seems like silly elitist nonsense to me. While I personally prefer being able to create my own character, I'm not so arrogant to claim my preferences are the right ones, and that's exactly what people do - they get their knickers in a knot because a particular game is marketed as an RPG when OMG it doesn't contain x therefore it's not an RPG!!!!!11 If an RPG doesn't contain x, y and z, it might mean I would enjoy it less, but it doesn't mean it's not an RPG.

My incomplete Fallout pen and paper game rules: http://fallout.diogenes-lamp.info/

Hey wow :thumbsup:

Will you be finishing that? :D

I work on it every week, so it will eventually be a lot more robust than it is. I just finished overhauling the combat system and the general die mechanics. Though the setting is Fallout and a lot of the names are Fallout, the system doesn't share much in common with SPECIAL at all.

Well, since every console "CRPG" that I have played has been rather simplistic, from Adventure! to FInal Fantasy 10 by my experience that console CRPGs are simplistic and those of console origins or made to have console aspects to them are just as simplistic.

Do you know the difference between inductive and deductive reasoning?

Also, I'd be interested to hear your definition of "simplistic". FFX's sphere grid immediately places its mechanics in the "not simplistic" category for me.

This is the Internet.  You'll find no facts here.  :p

LOL.. this is true.. :p

Admin of World of Darkness Online News

News/Community site for the WoD MMORPG

http://www.wodonlinenews.net

---

Jericho sassed me so I broke into his house and stabbed him to death in his sleep. Problem solved. - J.E. Sawyer

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

---

Expecting "innovation" from Bioware is like expecting "normality" from Valve -Moatilliatta