Violence in Video Games

Craftsman

Is the Violence in Video game getting too much?  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Is the Violence in Video game getting too much?

• Yes - Way to much detail, not needed
    • No- Nothing wrong with seeing whats not real
    • Maybe - All depends on age and maturity

I try to be a very nice guy in real life.

Yet, nothing is so fun in the world as playing a real scumbag in GTA:SA.

I feel the same way .. but then I start to wonder .. why do I think this is funny? was makes me enjoy going on a total frenzy and utterly devastating a city block!? what inside me is so destructive, and why can't it be released in other non-violent areas of creativity! if only I could apply the ferocious tenacity of attention to other aspects of my life ..

but alas, I, and apperantly alot others, need this violent outburst from time to time! I just hope that the, so far, innocent addiction stays that way ..

Fortune favors the bald.

I guess it has to be a morally-conscious choice as well. I play games because they're fun. And if I happen to choose to play games which happen to be violent, then it is with the knowledge that I choose not to let me affect my RL behavior in any way or form.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

I feel the same way .. but then I start to wonder .. why do I think this is funny? was makes me enjoy going on a total frenzy and utterly devastating a city block!? what inside me is so destructive, and why can't it be released in other non-violent areas of creativity! if only I could apply the ferocious tenacity of attention to other aspects of my life ..

but alas, I, and apperantly alot others, need this violent outburst from time to time! I just hope that the, so far, innocent addiction stays that way ..

I think we all need to express our agression from time to time. I know I do. Better to do that in a game than in real life...

I think we all need to express our agression from time to time. I know I do. Better to do that in a game than in real life...

But aren't presidential elections in America designed so we can express our aggression?

But on the issue on what kind of influence the games of tomorrow could have, I would say that when the games become so real that it is difficult to accept that they are simulations, then we may have problems. We are far from that point however since it would not only take photorealistic graphics but a complete virtual experience for every sense.

But the major differance between real and simulated violence is that we KNOW that game violence isnt real. We know we're just dealing with program code and polygons.

Funny how the first paragraph is exactly what I have been saying since page 1. Congratulations on reaching the same conclusion I did. It would have been easier to try and read my posts, though.

The same goes for the second paragraph. If you read my posts you will see that I accept that this will not be a problem in 2 or 5 years, I'm aiming at a larger scope here, 20 years at least. And there is still another issue you disregard. Mind is not only your rational 'concious' self, but also your subconcious. Your subconcious knows nothing of 'fiction' or 'reality' and doesn't attend to reason or logic. Still, your instinctive and emotional responses depend greatly on that subconcious, and there is a chance that extremely realistic fictional violence may mess up with it.

Children and gamers in general should also be intelligent enough to discern the boundaries between reality and fantasy. Face it: you can't beat someone up without hurting them. There are consequences to your actions in real life that there aren't in games, but sometimes, this escapes people. Young children exposed to violent games are more likely to think that they are unique, are given some hidden power that allows them to judge others. They continue to think that others aren't as good as them, because 'in the game', they get slaughtered by the PC.

It has nothing to do with intelligence. Read above.

Have you watched 'A clockwork orange'? In case you haven't I'll tell you that in that movie some psycho is conditioned to have involuntary responses to certain stimuli. Namely, he was nauseated by the sole thought of violence, even verbal violence. Still, the guy rationally loved violence and hated himself for becoming such a wuss.

Granted, the movie is just fiction, but it serves to illustrate my point on how reason, intelligence or willpower aren't enough to overcome the tricks your mind plays on you.

And it is up to those people on how much affect those games have on them.  It is these individuals who choose.  They choose to play the game.  They choose how they react.  They choose how much an affect has on them.  The person chooses.  They game is not at fault.  The fault lies 100% on the individual and no one else.

No. People don't choose how they react. Even though you seem to think it would be cool, people are not logical machines. What nonsense is that? I for one don't get a big red light when an emotional response is triggered, often it's some time before I rationalize a movie or whatever has made me sad or cheerful.

Despite all your BS about how you place mind over matter and control your natural emotions, I refuse to believe you have suppressed your emotions. Often the utter lack of emotions is the symptom of a sociopath. You don't look like that to me, but then again, I'm no psychiatrist.

Oh, and other thing. Please refrain from derailing every thread you participate in into a conversation about you. If you can't control that urge, perhaps it's time you got professional help.

The rest of the world are not clones of yourself and therefore any logic reasoning based on 'you' and then applied to the rest of the world is false. That's a known fallacy and I could look up its name for you, but I don't have your willpower. :p

I try to be a very nice guy in real life.

Yet, nothing is so fun in the world as playing a real scumbag in GTA:SA.

GTA:SA isn't specially gory, and mind you, not that violent compared to other games, either.

But again, for the Nth time, the present state of realism and violence in games is not what's being debated here, but the tendency of games to be more and more violent.

The question was, Is the Violence in Video game getting too much? and not Are games too violent nowadays?

LOL, Visc wins again with his perfect logic and mindblowing common sense. Go Visc go!

Really, I hope you were being sarcastic. :blink:

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

People say that people don't have control over how things effect them. I say bullsaht because of personal experience. I am no different than anyone else. A human is a human is a human. Sure, people have different experiences, but everyone reacts the same way to stimuli. Everyone has the choice of of letting their emotions get out of control or they can choose to control themselves.

Everyone has the choice. It is the basis of free will. If you have no free will, you are nothing better than an animal. Are you saying you are nothing better than a dog, number man?

213374U .. we agree and you know that .. but have you seen the ending of "A Clockwork Orange"?? it kinda ruined your argument .. because in the end he overcomes the conditioning!

Fortune favors the bald.