Free Guild Wars Beta Accounts

Llyranor

The subsequent chapters will offer new areas, new classes, new skills, and all-around new stuff. They promised

The characters with no xpac will not be LESS powerful, they will have resources upon which to choose from in order to customize their char to their liking. The raw power level will still be comparable.

"Am I required to buy the expansion packs to continue to play Guild Wars?

No. Every purchase you make in the continuation of the Guild Wars saga will be your choice. If you purchase expansion packs you will gain access to new regions of the world, new skills and abilities, new items, new professions, and much more. However, if you choose to not purchase a chapter, you will still be able to play the chapters of Guild Wars that you own, and you will have common areas in which you will be able to play with and against your friends who have purchased the other chapter(s).

Will I remain competitive if I do not buy the expansion packs? Will I be able to compete with and against others if I have only some of the Guild Wars chapters?

Yes. Purchasing the newer chapters of Guild Wars will not make you strictly more powerful. You will have access to many more strategic options, due to the expanding nature of the skills, abilities, items and professions that you enjoy with each chapter. It would be similar to building a deck in Magic: The Gathering

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

Will I be able to continue to level-up without the expansions?

No.

Will I be able to compete in PvP against players who are higher level and have better equipment?

No.

I keep hearing people complain about BEING FORCED to pay a monthly fee for a MMORPG. And MMORPGs put out new content, new bug fixes, they pay for servers, they pay for GMs, they put out new plots, etc. as part of that monthly fee.

GuildWars is not as free to play as people think.

MMORPGs offer free clients. GuildWars charges you for the client.

MMORPGs offer free content. GuildWars charges you for new content.

Except they said they reserve the right to allow higher levels with expansions.

Tell everyone the game is free for a while. And then hit them with higher levels, skills and items only available to paid members. It's a tried and true formula that many online games use.

Hmm, I read that content was added as you play. . .Just certain areas/things aren't offered.

We'll see on Friday. Until then, it's mudding and writing for me.

Fnord.

Except they said they reserve the right to allow higher levels with expansions.

Tell everyone the game is free for a while.  And then hit them with higher levels, skills and items only available to paid members.  It's a tried and true formula that many online games use.

Hmm, mayhap so, but if I deem the xpac content worthy of my money, then it is bought. Simple as that. If not, I *can* still play at my current level with other people who don't have the xpac.

The content that's being covered by the monthly for me is completely meaningless. I could care less if the server I was on supported 10,000 or 100,000 players. Bug fixes isn't an excuse to charge additional fees.

GMs, new plot, ROFL.

It's like any other xpac. If I like what I see, I shell out the dough. In a MMORPG, if I find the new content unworthy of my money, I don't get to play the game in any way or form anymore.

If I buy a game, I expect to be able to play the game. I bought the game, after all. I didn't rent it. And if a company tries to make me think that I simply bought the right to have the privilege to play on their server, then poo to them.

And GW *will* add new content. They even have the streaming technology so that it can be done almost instantaneously. No need to shut down servers and annoy players.

In any case, like I said, if the content that MMORPGs offered me was even remotely worthy of the monthly fees, I wouldn't mind paying for them. As it is, though, it's just not good enough. If I want to play an online CRPG, I launch NWN. I don't need to pay for 'GMs' and 'new plots'. Especially not with the avid MMORPG live-action roleplaying crowd.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

Will I be able to continue to level-up without the expansions?

No.

It seems like the game is more about learning to use skills than leveling up.

Even so, the expansions offer new content and skills, just like other MMORPGs, except that this game will probably add skills that have been thoroughly tested and balanced, not to mention that it'll cost a flat fee, as opposed to a seperate fee in addition to the monthly fee.

In my experience, everytime an MMORPG adds a new expansion or patch that adds/modifies skills, the PvP crowd has to work around these changes, as they render certain classes virtually useless while making others blatantly overpowered.

Will I be able to compete in PvP against players who are higher level and have better equipment?

No.

You want to have high level players with better equipment gank you in PvP? ;)

And MMORPGs put out new content, new bug fixes, they pay for servers, they pay for GMs, they put out new plots, etc. as part of that monthly fee.

In the MMORPGs that I've played, new content and new plots come in expansion packs, which you have to pay a separate fee for (usually $30), as well as the monthly fee.

MMORPGs offer free clients.  GuildWars charges you for the client.

I'm not sure what you mean by client, but the game has to be initially bought, just like any other game, such as Everquest II, World of Warcraft, Final Fantasy XI, etc.

MMORPGs offer free content.  GuildWars charges you for new content.

That depends on which content you're referring to. Most MMORPGs offer new content in expansions, which you have to pay for, just like Guild Wars. Except that MMORPGs also require a monthly fee, and Guild Wars does not.

I'd rather spend $50 for a game that I can spend playing for a few years than $50 and then $12 each month to play.

That's why singleplayer games are awesome.

Fnord.

Most MMORPGs allow a free client download these days, save for the big, new ones.

And even City of Heroes has run a variety of promotions to get free clients.

That's cool, I didn't know about that. Still though, you'll be paying a monthly fee, so if you happen to play the game for at least 4 months or so, you'll still be paying as much as a client for a big, new MMORPG.

Some cities in the country are offering free wireless broadband.

Not...here. Oh how I wish they were. We still don't have CABLE. >_<

BTW Ender, do they use Salt out in your part of the country to clear the roads of snow? I know they used to in Detroit, that's quite possibly the only thing that would make me reconsider trying to find a job out in Omaha someplace...other than that, everything sounds good and I'll probably be getting A+ and CISCO certs as soon as I wrap up highschool.

Does GW run on Dialup?  I don't think the telecommunications infrastruction out here has been upgraded since the original miners settled down.  :x

I read somewhere that it can run pretty good on dialup.

Sounds good, I'll have to look into it then. :)

Did someone tried GW already? If so, what do you think of it? I tried it only a couple of minutes, but it sure looked good.

Eh, I posted this on RPG Codex's forums a few days ago, not that it's very informative or anything, but here are my impressions:

I only played solo (with NPC henchmen), but I kinda want to buy this game. I played as a Ranger/Monk, and I thought the combat was pretty fun.

One of my first battles was against a priest monster. We each kept healing ourselves between attacks, so after couple minutes of this one-on-one combat, I noticed that it was using an area-of-effect heal on itself, so I got in closer to let it heal me whenever it healed itself. Over the next couple minutes I slowly defeated it. It only got better from there.

And it seems so... balanced. Sure, you can take three NPC henchmen with you, but you'll get less experience than if you had less henchmen. You can level up and get more skills (and more potent skills), but if you don't go into a combat area with the skills to survive, you won't survive. And if you want to increase the benefit of some skills more than others, you're pretty much forced to specialize, which at that point makes the character progession system seem like it allows some pretty diverse builds. Even exact duplicate characters might not even play the same because combat is ultimately based on player skill and seems to require a very active participation... I don't recall ever initiating an attack and feeling safe to direct my attention elsewhere.

The henchmen are pretty smart too, as are the monsters. I basically took a healer, a tank, and a mage with me, and they all did their respective jobs quite nicely. I also noticed the monster tanks trying to take out my healer while I was trying to take out their healer. I dunno, maybe I just haven't played enough into other MMORPGs, but the AI in this game seems really well done.

I also really liked the instanced atmosphere. Sure, it sorta takes away from the fun of running into other parties while on a mission and such, but seeing other people doesn't always make for a good time. No more camping, no more kill-stealing, no more overall competitive-shopping atmosphere. If you miss the competition aspect that camping and such brought, there's always the PvP, which I plan to experience during the February Beta Weekend.

Yeah, I'm impressed.