NWN2 or Dragon Age?

roshan

Which are you looking forward to more?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Which are you looking forward to more?

• Neverwinter Nights 2
    • Dragon Age

"It has become an after thought this year."

'Afterthoughts' don't win RPG of the Year awards, don't get high scores, and aren't usually well liked by those who play it.

R00fles!

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

"as Bio seems to follow the same style for all Bio games."

As did BIS/Obsidian, Troika, Sqauresoft, and others, and 99% of writers. It makes sense that the same style would be used by the same person. That's either a negative or a positive depending if you like that particular style.

"as Bio seems to follow the same style for all Bio games."

As did BIS/Obsidian, Troika, Sqauresoft, and others, and 99% of writers. It makes sense that the same style would be used by the same person. That's either a negative or a positive depending if you like that particular style.

True, but that also implies that I

Life is like a clam. Years of filtering crap then some bastard cracks you open and scrapes you into its damned mouth, end of story.

- Steven Erikson

I hope they do use the mana system, which makes using spellcasters considerably more fun/viable than the dull, annoying "shoot two magic missles, then rest for 16 hours" D&D stuff. o:)

I am seriously looking forward to Dragon Age. I'll rip it off the shelf the day it arrives,

I hope they do use the mana system, which makes using spellcasters considerably more fun/viable than the dull, annoying "shoot two magic missles, then rest for 16 hours" D&D stuff. o:)

I am seriously looking forward to Dragon Age.  I'll rip it off the shelf the day it arrives,

I say use spell points like Wizardry. If you use up your spell points in a realm (like fire) then you can

Life is like a clam. Years of filtering crap then some bastard cracks you open and scrapes you into its damned mouth, end of story.

- Steven Erikson

Heh, I actually enjoyed using magic in NWN because of the cheap rest system that took the drudgery out of refilling the spell well. Normally I'm too impatient to play spellcasters in D&D. I prefer fighters, thieves, and the like. BUT in party-based play I do love to have my potent spellcasters at the ready for buffing, enemy de-buffing, and the occasional well-placed nuke that blows away a dozen grunting zombies in a single blast of color.

I'll confess that I tend to be a very visceral, yet tactical player (God, JA2 is my favorite game on earth; of COURSE I love tactics!)... but I bloody well hate the damned find-a-place-to-rest-NO-can't-rest-here crap after every damned D&D battle. It bores me to tears.

Make spellcasters useful; make battles exciting. Let me get back into the game quickly, refreshed and ready to go, and don't force me to run all over Sigil... er, Amn... er... anywhere looking for a freaking Inn!

At least let my group crash on a park bench. :-

Hey, I think the gold box SSI games belong in the classics column.  I'm buying both NWN2 and Dragon Age, although I'll wait for some word on both before purchase.

I'm playing KoTOR2 right now.  I haven't seen anything that's caused me any real irritation so far.

I think there are a couple of really shining moments, including the prologue.  First of all, the player can skip the prologue, which is quite nice for a lot of folks.  The prologue itself is quite well done at any rate.  The whole package is a lot darker than KoTOR, which isn't a surprise to me.  I have to agree that KoTOR2 does have more of an expansion feel than a true sequel, but I'm quite happy to have it.

I'm looking to see what happens with NWN2.  As I understand it, KoTOR2 has done well, but I don't know that it has established Obsidian as a premier developer.

What I do know is that, after a week of hard manual labor, it's quite good to sit down to a game of KoTOR2, but NWN2 will have to do more to make me happy.  Giving me more of the same with some improvements might work for KoTOR.  For NWN, I demand some substantial improvments to the single player game.

I finished KoTOR last Friday. My overall impression was that it was very good, maybe better than the original in some ways, but the level design and story fell a little short of the original. As I understand it, Obsidian had to rush development a bit, and you can clearly see this on some of the levels. Other levels were fantastic, including Onderon (my favorite), Telos (the surface), Korriban, and the entire ending sequence. But there were also poorly written dialogues and bugy quests that I think probably would have been rewritten/smoothed out if Obsidian had more time.

As for my list of best games, it's totally my opinion. I am basing it almost completly on how good the story telling/writting was, and then the rest is going to things like interactivity and quality of action. What I see happening in the game industry is a slow rift developing between what we traditionaly call "games" and what should be more properly called "interactive entertainment". Games from Bioware/BlackIsle fit more in the second category. Troika and Obsidian seem to have taken over from the now defunt BlackIsle.

"after every damned D&D battle."

Eh. You shouldn't need to rest after eveyr battle in D&D. if you feel the need to; either the game isn't balanced properly; or you are casting way too much.

Wizards have to 'ration" their spells. Theya re not unlimited sources of magic. Well, they shouldn't be, atyways.

I prefer a balance of the two. KotOR was too focused and allowed no real freedom to allow me to do what I want or allow me to play a character I wanted to play. Morrowind had no story to it and all the NPCs were nothing but card board cutouts. A Single Player MMOPRG some people call it. I prefer a balance between these two extremes, like Baldur's Gate.

Oh yeah, back to the original topic: which will be better? I think that Dragon Age is probably going to be the winner because Bioware has more manpower and more time. But I am also looking forward to NWNII.

Btw Hades, KotORII was more open-ended than the first one. Also, the game with the best balance between story/interactivity was the Fallout series. I love the idea of a game that you can either fight your way through or talk your way through.

"It has become an after thought this year."

'Afterthoughts' don't win RPG of the Year awards, don't get high scores, and aren't usually well liked by those who play it.

R00fles!

The average score for this game is 85%. That's not a great review. I haven't seen Fable win a single RPG of the Year award. And plenty of people called the game largely disappointing.

In a holiday season where Halo 2, Half Life 2, Metal Gear Solid 3, KOTOR:2, the Nintendo DS, etc. etc. were release, no one is talking about Fable. In no way was it revolutionary, let alone a good RPG.