Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

What D&D monster best describes 'Samara'?

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

Vieo

Vieo

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 29 posts
You know, Samara from 'The Ring'?

If I had to take a crack at it, I would say maybe a Bodak? From my understanding of the movie, she kills people by looking them in the eye with a 'death gaze'.

What do you think? :D

DesertHawk

DesertHawk

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 447 posts
  • Location:Hitchhiking the Galaxy with my best friend, who just happens to be named after a car.
I'd say something banshee-ish. I don't know why, she just struck me as the kind.

EnderAndrew

EnderAndrew

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 9241 posts
  • Steam:enderandrew
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Well, Samara is undead, and some legends list Banshees as being ghosts. So, I'd say a variation of a Banshee.

Eclecticist

Eclecticist

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 179 posts
That was a hell of a freaky film.

EnderAndrew

EnderAndrew

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 9241 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
There is a trailer for The Ring 2.

I found The Ring to be twisted, and enjoyable. I laughed at the end.

Eclecticist

Eclecticist

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 179 posts
I liked the colour tones.

DesertHawk

DesertHawk

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 447 posts
  • Location:Hitchhiking the Galaxy with my best friend, who just happens to be named after a car.
I hate zombies.

EnderAndrew

EnderAndrew

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 9241 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
http://www.penny-arc...999-08-18&res=l

http://www.penny-arc...000-02-04&res=l

mkreku

mkreku

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8547 posts
I was like, "Haha, stupid movie!" all throughout the entire movie. Then at the end
Spoiler
and I crapped my pants.

Edit: Sorry about the spoiler! I thought everyone had seen (or heard about) it by now.

EnderAndrew

EnderAndrew

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 9241 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
That was a great moment.

Darque

Darque

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 12328 posts
nice spoilers :wacko:

I was going to see this movie, but I guess now I don't have to. :wub:

Ivan the Terrible

Ivan the Terrible

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1444 posts
I prefer the Japanese original. Children can be spooky, but....come on, now.

Posted Image

Posted Image

EnderAndrew

EnderAndrew

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 9241 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
The movie wasn't ruined. One moment was. The plot twists and end are still quite nice.

And said moment has been parodied and mentioned all over for the past 2 years.

Darque

Darque

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 12328 posts
and somehow I managed to miss it every time until this thread. :rolleyes:

;)

Ginthaeriel

Ginthaeriel

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 246 posts
Frankly, I cannot believe that something like this is being discussed. WHO CARES?! IT'S A HORROR MOVIE SET IN CONTEMPORARY JAPAN AND/OR AMERICA, MUST YOU TURN EVERYTHING INTO A ROLE PLAYING GAME?!?!

Also, in the ringu book, Sadako (not Samara, which is a lame name) is actually a hermaphrodite girl who was born with little testicles, who had latent psionic powers, who had sex with a doctor with smallpox or something like that and contracted said disease, got thrown into the well out of self defense by said doctor when he discovered she had balls and she tried to kill him with her mind, used her psychic talents to molecularly reconstruct the smallpox virus so that it's much more deadly and can kill in seven days, and used her psychic talents to burn a psionic message into a videotape that will cause the human body to create this virus and therefore cause it to kill itself.

Yeah.

So if you see any "Psionic Hermaphrodites" in any of the Monster Manuals, then I guess there you go.

By the way, the book never had any little girls crawling out of a TV. And the main character was a male journalist. Who had a crazy eccentric psychic professor friend. Who raped a girl when he was in high school.

The guy who wrote Ringu is considered the Stephen King of Japan, btw.

EnderAndrew

EnderAndrew

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 9241 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Largely overrated and eccentric?

Then again, I've never read the Dark Tower series. I think King comes up with good ideas (see Apt Pupil, The Stand, Stand by Me, The Shining, etc) but that doesn't mean he is a good writer.

Ginthaeriel

Ginthaeriel

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 246 posts
No, It's just a reflection on how incredibly insane Japan can be sometimes, when you look at the fact that their equivalent of Stephen King writes about Hermaphrodites and Pedophiles. I'm just saying.

Of course, Japan also gave us Tentacle Rape Hentai, so I suppose there really isn't any real doubts left about this issue.

Ivan the Terrible

Ivan the Terrible

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1444 posts

Also, in the ringu book, Sadako (not Samara, which is a lame name) is actually a hermaphrodite girl who was born with little testicles, who had latent psionic powers, who had sex with a doctor with smallpox or something like that and contracted said disease, got thrown into the well out of self defense by said doctor when he discovered she had balls and she tried to kill him with her mind, used her psychic talents to molecularly reconstruct the smallpox virus so that it's much more deadly and can kill in seven days, and used her psychic talents to burn a psionic message into a videotape that will cause the human body to create this virus and therefore cause it to kill itself.

Ringu is an example of a very common genre; that is, movies and ideas which start out good then are destroyed by an absurd sequel.

As such, I choose to take a krypto-revisionist stance; everything past Ringu did not happen.

Volourn

Volourn

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 17067 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
"Largely overrated and eccentric?

Then again, I've never read the Dark Tower series. I think King comes up with good ideas (see Apt Pupil, The Stand, Stand by Me, The Shining, etc) but that doesn't mean he is a good writer."

You gotta be jokin'. Stephen King is the ebst writer of all time. period. His biggest weakest, however, is that he can be long winded. at times. Still, he's awesome. Period.

As for The Ring, I liked the movie. It was cool. Of course, movies don't scare me so it lacked that part; but it was interesting.

213374U

213374U

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5327 posts

You gotta be jokin'. Stephen King is the ebst writer of all time. period. His biggest weakest, however, is that he can be long winded. at times. Still, he's awesome. Period.

Stephen King is the 'fast food' of modern literature. Nice sometimes, but have too much of it and you'll end up dead. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users