The influence of nostalgia on gamers' TSL rating

So which is it???

My advice (even though you didn't ask for it) is look at who made what comments. If one comment is made by someone whose views you generally agree with, and the other comment is made by some person you find incredibly lame or boring and always disagree with, go with what you know and trust.

Thus far, the people I "respect" on here have had a lot of positive things to say about the game. Some people I either don't know or don't completely "respect" have had a lot of negative things to say about the game. So it's easy to see which viewpoint I'm typically going to lean towards until I can actually play the game for myself.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

So which is it???

It's both.

You can follow the dark side by being an out and out thug. You can always side with the darker forces and fight the "good guys." You can kill people indescrimanetly and destroy everything in your path. You can act like Darth Malak if you choose.

Or, you can follow the dark side by manipulating people into doing your evil plans without realizing it. Without giving away too much information, there is a quest were you get to completely decimate one side over the other while pretending to help the side you are destroying. Also, through the influence system, you can "justify" your actions to certain characters as really being light side actions. You can be like Emperor Palpatine. Pulling stings and getting people to do things without revealing too much of your true nature to everyone else.

The game lets you play the dark side how you choose to play it. The best DS characters will use some of both philosophies during the game. And the dialogue options usually allow both a deceptive answer and a forceful answer. The DS side is much more flexible than it was in KOTOR1.

"Some people I either don't know or don't completely "respect" have had a lot of negative things to say about the game."

You don't respect Hades? That's rude. Now, if you didn't respect me; that would be understandable. Hades is pure as the yellow snow. :devil:

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

"Some people I either don't know or don't completely "respect" have had a lot of negative things to say about the game."

You don't respect Hades? That's rude. Now, if you didn't respect me; that would be understandable. Hades is pure as the yellow snow. :devil:

I was referring to those who had played the game already and gave their comments. People who have yet to play it (Hades, you, me, etc.) only have second hand knowledge and thus I don't take any of those into account at all. But of those who have actually played it, I've noticed that those who I tend to think of as respectable and intelligent posters seem to have good things to say about the game.

That's not to say that ALL those who have negative things to say are people I don't respect. It's just that, from a rough estimate of what I've read, a greater percentage of those I respect have said positive things about the game. And I've also noticed a stark number of people I'd consider "unintelligent" posters who dislike the game, which again just makes me think I'll enjoy it even more.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

My advice (even though you didn't ask for it) is look at who made what comments. If one comment is made by someone whose views you generally agree with, and the other comment is made by some person you find incredibly lame or boring and always disagree with, go with what you know and trust.

Well, I've heard so much conflicting info recently I wouldn't know who to trust.

I think the best policy is just to ignore them and make up my own damn mind.

Sadly, that means I have to wait a few months.:devil:

That said, I think ken the great just gave a damn good response. That sounds promising for an intelligent darkside.

Yeah but that's quite hard to check through the net! :(

HERMOCRATES:

Nur Ab Sal was one such king. He it was, say the wise men of Egypt, who first put men in the colossus, making many freaks

of nature at times when the celestial spheres were well aligned.

SOCRATES:

This I doubt. We are hearing a child's tale.

Which is why I find it hard to trust anyone on the internet except GhostofAnakin. :thumbsup:

...is what you meant to say. :-"

I didn't know you were a hot woman (w00t)

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

I didn't know you were a hot woman (w00t)

You never asked. *bats eyelashes*

So what are you doing tonight, not washing your hair, I hope. :thumbsup:"

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

We had some banter planned, but i guess in the interest of good taste we'll stop now

While I haven't played TSL myself yet (only observed it for a while at my xboxer friend's home) so I can't say about my feelings, I am under impression that most gamers are sharp on TSL bugs and storyline flaws becouse TSL is a continuation, not such groundbreaking game as KOTOR. KOTOR was some kind of culture shock

with so many great ideas, that people actually didn't notice its many flaws and if even they did - they focused more on KOTOR's positive sides. Sequel rarely is original and gamers are already familiar with things like graphics or interface... nothing is new except the storyline - and that's why people focus more on the storyline and criticize it. And if TSL would be first such game? How would you rate it, without knowing about existence of KOTOR 1? No spoilers please!

I'd imagine this is the same thing as Fallout and Fallout 2, though as far as I know people liked FO 2 more than FO 1.

It's far more ground-breaking than Fable was.

In what way is the game far more ground breaking that Fable? Prehaps this game broke new ground in making it where you can kill most enemies by just standing far away enough to shoot them and letting them just look at you while they die. Or prehaps it is the innovative influence system (especially when playing Dark Side) that lets you pretty much alienate 75% of your party members by just faithfully role-playing a Dark Jedi. Better yet, perhaps it is the outstanding endgame that this game offers...but we all knew that right? :)

Please point out the trails blazed by TSL that will forever change the face of RPGs. I guess I am too slow to see them for myself.