Still amazed at the pos random # generator

The random # generator in the nwn engine has got to be the biggest pos example of programming on earth. No matter how high a foe has to roll to make a save they will make it 9 out of 10 times. One thing that has always pissed me off in every nwn engine game to date is wasting an entire power bar or spell book trying to get one spell or power to stick on one creature that amazingly makes his save of 18+ every time while you amazingly miss your save of 5 or higher atleast 50% of the time. Some things never change.

"The random # generator in the nwn engine has got to be the biggest pos example of programming on earth. No matter how high a foe has to roll to make a save they will make it 9 out of 10 times. One thing that has always pissed me off in every nwn engine game to date is wasting an entire power bar or spell book trying to get one spell or power to stick on one creature that amazingly makes his save of 18+ every time while you amazingly miss your save of 5 or higher atleast 50% of the time. Some things never change. "

Eh. Not perfect; but there's been worse. Much worse. Just check out TOEE or gamer forbid, POR2. *shudders*

"i havent played nwn......is it worth buying? and about whatever your talking about was irritating in kotor aswell so no doubt it will be just as frustrating in nwn"

I'd say yes; others would say no. I've owned the game sicne its elease 2+ years ago and I still pretty much play it every day. In fact, it just got another update this week. WOWSERS!

"I...uh...think you posted in the wrong forum. "

Mayhaps. But, he could be counting the KOTOR1/2 engine as aprt of the NWN Engine... :thumbsup:

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

"I bought both, they were buggy as hell and no I am not posting in the wrong forum kotor1 and 2 are built on the nwn engine and the random # generator has not improved one bit in atleast 5 games that have used it."

Yet you continue to buy games made on that engine just to continue complaining about it? :-"

"I bought both, they were buggy as hell and no I am not posting in the wrong forum kotor1 and 2 are built on the nwn engine and the random # generator has not improved one bit in atleast 5 games that have used it."

Yet you continue to buy games made on that engine just to continue complaining about it? :-"

Perhaps in the hope that they would eventually get it right. I mean, how hard can it be to code an honest random number generator?

- dr cloak

"Perhaps in the hope that they would eventually get it right. I mean, how hard can it be to code an honest random number generator?"

A. As games have illustrated in the past, hard.

B. The NWN/KOTOR engine is one of the best number generators for a RPG out there.

C. It's nowhere near as bad as the intital poster makes it seem.

" It might actually be fair, but we humans tend to remember only exceptional things. We're funny like that. "

That could be true. plus, bad number runs are a lot more harmful to PCs than it is for enemies.

D. It might actually be fair, but we humans tend to remember only exceptional things. We're funny like that.

Haha, this reminds me of playing Pazzak in Kotor 1 and 2. I would build up a perfect hand of 20, only to have my computer opponent hit 20 as well to tie the set. This happens alot more than what would seem mathematically possible.

- dr cloak

D. It might actually be fair, but we humans tend to remember only exceptional things. We're funny like that.

E. imunities and dammage reduction NWN is 3rd edition D&D and the engine still uses D20 rules some spells/powers against some enemys co0uld be playing into there strengths and they could have dammage reduction/immunity to the spell/power so never take the save

F. Save bonuses high stats can give a bonus to save so they could have easily +5 save bonuses

E. imunities and dammage reduction NWN is 3rd edition D&D and the engine still uses D20 rules some spells/powers against some enemys co0uld be playing into there strengths and they could have dammage reduction/immunity to the spell/power so never take the save

F. Save bonuses high stats can give a bonus to save so they could have easily +5 save bonuses

I will say this, towards the latter part of the game, as a Consular/Sith Lord, nothing could save against my Force attacks.

- dr cloak

Haha, this reminds me of playing Pazzak in Kotor 1 and 2. I would build up a perfect hand of 20, only to have my computer opponent hit 20 as well to tie the set. This happens alot more than what would seem mathematically possible.

- dr cloak

Someone from Obsidian said that when they got their hands on the code, the first thing he did was tear the pazzak game open to see if it cheated.

It didn't.