Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Designer Ramblings: New Cast of Companions

• Please log in to reply
122 replies to this topic

Chris Avellone

Chris Avellone

Inactive

• Members
  • 156 posts
/ Designer Ramblings: New Cast

There are reasons why we didnít use the original cast from Knights of the Old Republic 1 as companions in the sequel. It isnít because Bastila suddenly got her own TV series and decided that computer games were beneath her, or those pictures of Carth at the leather club that surfaced earlier this year, or anything like that, although their agents and lawyers might tell you differently.

One reason was the sequence of events that occurred in Kotor 1. Thereís many different ways the game could end up, and not all of them would allow for the companions to travel together again happily ever after.

The second reason is that in some cases, we felt the stories for these companions had come full circle in the first game. Each of them had their problems and challenges during the Jedi Civil War, which we felt had had a chance to be addressed in the game and resolved (especially Juhani, Carth, Bastila, Zaalbar, etc.).

The third reason is keeping the ďvoice.Ē Not only is it risky to take someone elseís character and try to do them justice (which can be a painful experience for developer and player), but once youíve read a batch of Star Wars novels, thereís nothing more painful than trying to watch others get Han Solo and Luke Skywalker ďright,Ē which is difficult, because all youíre doing is faking the character - you didnít create them, youíre only mimicking their voice and personality, and while sometimes this works, oftentimes it just ends up creating something less than the original.

The fourth reason was stagnation. Knights of the Old Republic is a brand-new Star Wars license, and as such, has a chance for a fresh start. Rather than keep the same characters for 4, 5, or 6 games (if it ever gets that far), we have a chance to keep shaking up the universe with every game and keep the universe from becoming stagnant Ė again, after reading a ton of Star Wars novels, using the same 5-6 characters again and again hamstrung by the same series events starts becoming confining, and you can feel it in some of the stories and novels. I think thatís part of the reason they started introducing a new cast in the later novels, some of which fans have really enjoyed.

The last reason was more of a personal decision. For me, creating companion characters is one of the highlights of developing a role-playing game, and who you travel with over the course of the game and who acts as a sounding board for your characterís thoughts and feelings can end up being a large chunk of the role-playing experience. Furthermore, there are certain aspects to the Star Wars universe that were more appropriate for certain character types to advocate or denounce (which Kreia and Atton do considerably, as do others), and it felt better to do them with new characters than to use the old ones. Thereís certain things Iíve always wanted to say about the Star Wars universe that would be difficult for the K1 cast to voice and still remain in character.

That said, we did try to include characters from K1 for continuity, although we tried to take many of the underdogs from K1 and inject more into them Ė this should come across more notably with T3 (youíll encounter him before the others).

Anyway, had to say it.

Off to Gen Con!

/ End Designer Ramblings: New Cast
  • Felonious likes this

mista_me

mista_me

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 607 posts
Thanks for some more info chris! :D

Bokishi

Bokishi

Graphics Lord

• Members
  • 6446 posts
Good read.

Masamune

Masamune

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 63 posts
*rubs eyes* oh, good morning chris. Thanks for rambling. :cool:

Kazic

Kazic

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 781 posts
Thanks for the info Chris. You rock! :lol:

SoulSwindler

SoulSwindler

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 220 posts
Damn straight. I for one am content with new characters and a new story.

DesertHawk

DesertHawk

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 447 posts
  • Location:Hitchhiking the Galaxy with my best friend, who just happens to be named after a car.
This post will make a lot of us understand better. Thanks, Chris. I'm sure we'll all enjoy the new characters. Especially Atton! :lol:

Have a good time at the con!

kurtimusmaximus

kurtimusmaximus

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 51 posts
Cheers for the new info Chris

Ludozee

Ludozee

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 867 posts
Thanks, Chris Avellone! Keep 'em coming :lol:

Kazic

Kazic

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 781 posts
Hey chris, what did you mean by the underdog comment?

Who are these people?

Who are these people?

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 95 posts

Damn straight. I for one am content with new characters and a new story.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Same here, The Dark side needs to consume new characters. MWWAHAHAHA! :devil:

pleto4_ryan

pleto4_ryan

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 95 posts
[yoda voice] Well said...[/yoda voice]

(on another note)
come on, everyone with me...

T3 T3 T3 T3 T3 !!!

SoulSwindler

SoulSwindler

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 220 posts
The only character I really wanted to see again was Carth....little punk got away from my wrath.. :devil: We have some unfinished business.

Sargallath Abraxium

Sargallath Abraxium

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1323 posts
...excellent decision...although the decision to have a "Nameless One" protagonist makes me a bit leery (as in can it be done as well as you did it in PS:T), havin' as few "throw-backs" as possible be a commendable choice...plus, it's yer baby now, not BIO's, so puttin' yer own stamp on it is a must... :devil:

...WHO LUVS YA, BABY!!...
  • Felonious likes this

BC83

BC83

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 215 posts
Hey Chris, good rambling. A couple questions though. What are the real names of the Handmaiden and the disciple? Which companion is the Echani?

Tel Aviv

Tel Aviv

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 902 posts

Off to Gen Con!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Good luck with the fan-boys. Try not to get eaten alive. :devil:

BastilaShan

BastilaShan

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 79 posts
whats gen con?

Darth Sirius

Darth Sirius

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1410 posts
We completely understand, as long as theres at least a mention of the old saviours/conquerers of the galaxy, I'll be happy. Cheers for letting us know though, will do the series good to get a fresh spin on things.

Sorwen

Sorwen

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 167 posts

It isnít because Bastila suddenly got her own TV series and decided that computer games were beneath her

You started to worry me there. I mean I'd like to see her on TV, but she shouldn't give up games. :devil:

Thanks for the info.

Who are these people?

Who are these people?

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 95 posts

whats gen con?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The General Convention being held at Anaheim today. :devil:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users