73 members have voted

1. 1. Will KotOR II become a "game of the year"

• Yes
    • No
    • Its possible
    • Unlikely
    • I'll have to play it first to say

So you're saying men who like rpgs better are more feminine than others huh? :-

I could see how you'd take it that way. ...Worded wrong, my own fault. But no. Most of my friends are guys who play RPG's and they're in no way feminine.

It just seems that (judging from reactions of editors/writers of certain gaming magazines) alot of guys prefer shooters, sports, or general action to RPG's. But then again, I've never taken my own poll and figured out the statistics, so this is largely conjecture and extrapolation on my part.

K2 will get at least RPG of the year since any other RPG out now and in the future looks like junk.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

How about Vampire - Bloodlines and The Fall? Not that they are GotY candidates either but they are more innovative than K2, and Bloodlines is doing pretty well in terms of sales from what I hear. K2 is going to be a very good game no doubt, but that's not  to say it's GotY material.

Can't speak for The Fall, since I haven't played it, but Vampire being more innovative than KOTOR2? Hardly, unless you call a messed up mixture of FPS/RPG hybrid innovative.

Considering K2 is going to be introducing some features that, correct me if I'm mistaken, haven't been in games before (a huge effect on the NPCs that follow you), I'd say that's more than VtMB introduced.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

213374U...do you like any videogames?

Like everyone is saying. It will be nominated but it wont win.

Not really. I just registered in these boards so I could get the chance to flame some unsuspecting n00bs.

Seriously now, yes, I like some games. Not many, though. Just because I don't like overhyped pieces of crap like Halo 2, HL2 and SA, it doesn't mean I don't like games. I'm just very picky.

No, because as I believe I stated earlier, I don't care what the industry says about the game's status. If I like it based on what I've seen, then I'll buy it, regardless of whether or not it gets GOTY. The people who decided it are largely, if not all, men. And men prefer the destruction of opponents. It's old leftover instinct. Which means Halo 2 probably calls to them more...and KOTOR II will have to settle for RPG of the year. If this weren't the Halo year, KOTOR II would have GOTY hands down, I would think. But it is a Halo year, and with all the (ridiculous amounts of) hype that surrounded it, KOTOR doesn't stand a chance.

A good story alone doesn't make a game qualify for GotY. K2 is pretty much K1 with new story. And since K1 already was GotY, I doubt K2 will be nominated.

As to GOTY, sadly it will be GTA San Andreas, imo. Halo 2 was too disappointing in terms of length, level design, and ending. Half Life downfall, one word: Steam, not to mention boring plot and uninspired bad guys (or so I've been told). San Andreas was the only one to deliver on expectations, it seems.

Agreed. The only worthy thing from HL2 is the engine. And it turns out Vampire - Bloodlines uses that very engine... :blink:"

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Haven't heard too many good things about the Fall. As for Vampire, it's a decent game, but hardly GOTY quality. It may get pc rpg of the year due to lack of competition.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Can't speak for The Fall, since I haven't played it, but Vampire being more innovative than KOTOR2?  Hardly, unless you call a messed up mixture of FPS/RPG hybrid innovative.

Considering K2 is going to be introducing some features that, correct me if I'm mistaken, haven't been in games before (a huge effect on the NPCs that follow you), I'd say that's more than VtMB introduced.

Yeah, I haven't played The Fall either. Only the german version is out right now, so we'll have to wait. It's looking killer, though.

About Bloodlines, I don't know if you have played it, but so far, it's got more social interaction than any other RPG I have played. The skill part is much better than K1's was, too. Don't know about K2. While I don't care very much for the FPS/RPG hybrid either, the game is still completely governed by the RPG rules, so it's not quite the clickfest you would expect. Not a worthy substitute for Deus Ex, anyway. :blink:

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

About Bloodlines, I don't know if you have played it, but so far, it's got more social interaction than any other RPG I have played. The skill part is much better than K1's was, too. Don't know about K2. While I don't care very much for the FPS/RPG hybrid either, the game is still completely governed by the RPG rules

I've been one of the unfortunate souls that has suffered through the incredibly frustratingly tear-out-my-hair slowdowns in crowded areas thing. I just finished my play through siding with the anarchs, after numerous crashes to desktop and painful battles in which the messed up combat system became a source of anger rather than intrigue.

Having said that, the game is interesting. It does have an interesting interaction with NPCs that other games don't, but I believe they (Troika) could have made the NPCs MUCH deeper if they had just done more work on them. As it is, the NPCs seemed more like a sign post that you click on when you need your next quest.

The skills were very useful, but at the same time most of the skills were useless since the majority of the game focussed on either melee, stealth (the sneak skill), hacking, or lockpick. Many of the other skills weren't even worth it. Also, if you wanted to complete the game at the end, with all the endless battles, it was near impossible using those skills other than melee or ranged attack.

Overall, I wouldn't really call it innovative. Atleast not more than what the features Obsidian has promised us for K2, since it appears that, just like you mentioned about Vampire, we'll be able to have a HUGE influence over NPCs.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)