Confessions of an Associate Producer

John Morgan

-Do you guys ever work on the weekends, and if so how much do you do it?

-How often do you play other people's video games?

-What's the best entry level position for a would-be producer?

-Now that you are an associate producer do you find that your hair is getting grey faster? :thumbsup:

-This is kind of a weird question, but publishers in the game credits always have their own producers, what do they do? Like Lucasarts has their own producers.

Thanks so much, you are the best resource I have had in research on this job.

-Matt

It's fun. I actually wake up and LOOK FORWARD to going to work. How many people can say that? The hours are long, no doubt, but if you enjoy it, then it's not too hard to stomach. As for the pay, well, Feargus tries to do right by us and takes care of his own... but money is just money... none of us got into this industry for the cash  :D

Makes sense. Thanks. :)

Hmmm...just one more question. If you had to list the top three skills or attributes most important in a game designer, what would they be?

I made this half-pony half-monkey monster to please you

But I get the feeling that you don't like it

What's with all the screaming?

You like monkeys, you like ponies

Maybe you don't like monsters so much

Maybe I used too many monkeys

Isn't it enough to know that I ruined a pony making a gift for you?

-Do you guys ever work on the weekends

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHA *deep breath* HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA.

and if so how much do you do it?

Seriously though, during the non-crunch time phase of a project, most of the guys will come in here and there on the weekend, usually to get a head-start for the next milestone. Those of us that are close to the offices probably stop in if only for a few hours almost every weekend. During crunch time, we basically live at the office. Seriously.

-How often do you play other people's video games?

Every chance I get... who doesn't? :D

-What's the best entry level position for a would-be producer?

Anything that puts you in direct contact with the project itself. Producers can come up from any line in the industry: programmers, designers, artists, QA, sound... it's just good to work and pay your dues so that you gain perspective from the bottom up. Producers from within the ranks tend to make better producers than those hired from outside of the industry.

-This is kind of a weird question, but publishers in the game credits always have their own producers, what do they do? Like Lucasarts has their own producers.

The publisher's producers manage their side of the game and can even be producing several games at once. For instance, LucasArts did our sound and voice-over, marketing, QA testing, and cinematic cutscenes. The LucasArts producer, in this case Mike Gallo, essentially coordinated all of that and worked with our producer, Chris Parker, to get it all in.

SiO2

Hmmm...just one more question. If you had to list the top three skills or attributes most important in a game designer, what would they be?

-Creativity: Our designers are literally creating worlds and the thousands upon thousands of lines of dialogue, content, and quests that go into them. If you don't have a creative mind, you run out of ideas really fast.

-Team-oriented: You have to be able to work within the design group. You are all working on the same world with the same rules and have to be sure that all of your content meshes with their content. I would say designers above all are the most social creatures in the office (and have to be). We're constantly bouncing ideas off of each other, making sure we understood each others' quests, and basically talking about the game to each other everytime you see more than one of us together (sometimes we can be alone as well... many a' designer has spoken to their monitor at one time or another :-" )

-Efficient: All of the above must be done on deadlines or else you can hold up the entire project single-handedly.

That list might change later of course :)

SiO2

John, just a single question: which areas/items in K2 you designed?

10x

Ask again after the game has been out for a couple of weeks ;)

OH OH ! John, uh...hmm. I can't think of a question, I just wanted to be a part of all the excitement.

Also, CONGRATS John!

The study of history is a powerful antidote to contemporary arrogance. It is humbling to discover how many of our glib assumptions, which seem to us novel and plausible, have been tested before, not once but many times and in innumerable guises; and discovered to be, at great human cost, wholly false.

--Paul Johnson

Great topic.  As someone who is really focused on making it into development, I'm curious about the following:

What were the contents of your portfolio?  NWN mod, other mod?  Pencil and paper stuff?  Writing samples?

I'd love to see as much as you are comfortable sharing.

Ya same here, i also want to know what your experence was (mods, hacking..?)

"Your total disregard for the law and human decency both disgusts me and touches my heart. Bless you, sir."

"Soilent Green is people. This guy's just a homeless heroin junkie who got in a internet caf

Hey, you got any of us female types working at Obsidian? ;)

For a slightly more serious question: I am considering a career in video games, (design or art. They're both so wonderfully delightful!) and I have a wee bit of experience with both of these fields. (I built an area on a MUD, much loved and loathed, and I'm taking a Graphics Design course.) My problem is that while I have loved the design part, I'm still not sure on how to get myself organized. :D Do you have any suggestions on general classes to take, things to study, things to look out for, or any tips on game/player balance?

Peace, love, and happiness to you, Morgan man! You will be missed by the KOTOR2'ers. Goodluck with NWN2 as well. :)

Fnord.

Great topic.  As someone who is really focused on making it into development, I'm curious about the following:

What were the contents of your portfolio?  NWN mod, other mod?  Pencil and paper stuff?  Writing samples?

Basically, I just have writing samples of related papers from college and some reviews I had written up for other jobs.

As I said, I skipped the design test at Obsidian because everything was so rushed, but it basically asks enough questions to get a feel for your writing skills. There is also a section where you actually submit a level for a d20-based system including the physical layout, points-of-interest and the quests that go along with it.

SiO2

Ya same here, i also want to know what your experence was (mods, hacking..?)

I had experience in IT which meant I knew my way around a computer as well as several software suites and some mild programming experience. Here's a sample of what I had on my resume way back then:

QUALIFICATIONS

Special interest and experience in playing several genres of games

Research and track progress of game development through web research

Attend CES, Comdex, and E3

Very Strong knowledge of PC hardware systems, audio/video, IT systems, re- imaging, ghosting, network troubleshooting, machine maintenance/upkeep.

Basic knowledge of C++, QBasic, and HTML codes

Working knowledge of Adobe Photoshop 7.0

Working knowledge of HotDog Professional version 7.0

Experienced in Windows 95/98/2000/XP

Student of film and cinematic design including production, post-production, writing

Strong knowledge of cinematography and aesthetic design

EDUCATION

University of California, Irvine, June 2003 (GPA 3.37)

BA: Film Studies; Minor: Management

Relevant Coursework: Film Studies, Computer Science, Boolean Algebra, IT Systems, Financial Accounting, Leadership, Organizational Behavior, Marketing

SiO2

Hey, you got any of us female types working at Obsidian? :lol:

For a slightly more serious question: I am considering a career in video games, (design or art. They're both so wonderfully delightful!) and I have a wee bit of experience with both of these fields. (I built an area on a MUD, much loved and loathed, and I'm taking a Graphics Design course.) My problem is that while I have loved the design part, I'm still not sure on how to get myself organized.  :D Do you have any suggestions on general classes to take, things to study, things to look out for, or any tips on game/player balance?

Peace, love, and happiness to you, Morgan man! You will be missed by the KOTOR2'ers. Goodluck with NWN2 as well. :p

Obsidian is fairly lacking in the female department, although the same could be said for the gaming industry. But honestly the management here is professional enough to be blind to gender and such.

As far as your classes, you sound like you're on the right track. Just do things to keep your creative side sharp and learn as much as you can about the industry. I'd suggest classes along the lines of software design, creative writing, and basically anything that interests you in a creative context. I found my history classes were great learning for me as a writer and of course all those film classes helped with my creativity.

And for the interface stuff, that would be a question for Akari if he is reading this thread.

SiO2

Do you have any tips for the initial planning stages of an indie CRPG, such as recruiting volunteer contributors when there's little to show them?

John asked me to jump in here and give some advice if I can.

Tips for writing and indie CRPG:

0. What is the goal of the game you are writing? For fun, profit, or experience to get in the game industry?

1. Identify your platform, tools, and resources you have to work with. Be realistic. Most indie developers do not have a lot of resources to work with, and that is okay as long as you are prepared for that.

2. What can you do, and who do you need to help with the rest? If you are not a programmer, you will probably need one or need to learn how to program. If you are not a designer, you will need to find one or work on becoming one. If you are not an artist, you may need to find one. You need to develop your skill set, whatever that may be.

3. Keep your goals realisitc. The best you can probably hope for is 1 to 3 like-minded individuals who will be willing to help in thier free-time. You will not be able to create World of Warcraft of Baldur's Gate with 3 people. You can however still create a game rich on content and creativity.

4. People willing to help you...well, your best bet is your own friends. I was lucky enough to have friends that were like-minded and very talent artists and programmers. If for whatever reason your friends can't or aren't interested in helping you, there are numerous indie game developer forums out there where you may find people willing to help.

5. I can't stress this enough, keep your goals realistic. Depending on the size of your game you want to make, it may take 6 months to 2 years working on your free-time to make. You will still have family, friends, and a life to lead outside of this, so plan accordingly, and be realistic.

6. Finally, the best alternative may be to just get an involved witha n already exisiting indie game that is looking for help. It might be a better way to get your feet wet and to learn more about it.

I know this are kind of vague, but I can answer more specific questions if you have them.

The study of history is a powerful antidote to contemporary arrogance. It is humbling to discover how many of our glib assumptions, which seem to us novel and plausible, have been tested before, not once but many times and in innumerable guises; and discovered to be, at great human cost, wholly false.

--Paul Johnson

Obsidian is fairly lacking in the female department, although the same could be said for the gaming industry. 

Hehe, yeah, I went to Vancouver Film School for 3D, and there were 3 women in my class, 3 women in the class ahead of us, 2 in the class behind us, and none in the class behind them. There are 26 people in each class. Its definitely a male dominated industry.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Do you have any tips for the initial planning stages of an indie CRPG, such as recruiting volunteer contributors when there's little to show them?

John asked me to jump in here and give some advice if I can.

Tips for writing and indie CRPG:

0. What is the goal of the game you are writing? For fun, profit, or experience to get in the game industry?

1. Identify your platform, tools, and resources you have to work with. Be realistic. Most indie developers do not have a lot of resources to work with, and that is okay as long as you are prepared for that.

2. What can you do, and who do you need to help with the rest? If you are not a programmer, you will probably need one or need to learn how to program. If you are not a designer, you will need to find one or work on becoming one. If you are not an artist, you may need to find one. You need to develop your skill set, whatever that may be.

3. Keep your goals realisitc. The best you can probably hope for is 1 to 3 like-minded individuals who will be willing to help in thier free-time. You will not be able to create World of Warcraft of Baldur's Gate with 3 people. You can however still create a game rich on content and creativity.

4. People willing to help you...well, your best bet is your own friends. I was lucky enough to have friends that were like-minded and very talent artists and programmers. If for whatever reason your friends can't or aren't interested in helping you, there are numerous indie game developer forums out there where you may find people willing to help.

5. I can't stress this enough, keep your goals realistic. Depending on the size of your game you want to make, it may take 6 months to 2 years working on your free-time to make. You will still have family, friends, and a life to lead outside of this, so plan accordingly, and be realistic.

6. Finally, the best alternative may be to just get an involved witha n already exisiting indie game that is looking for help. It might be a better way to get your feet wet and to learn more about it.

I know this are kind of vague, but I can answer more specific questions if you have them.

Recruiting and motivating people to participate in an Indie volunteer project, or at least one that begins as volunteer gig with the hope of profit at some vague and uncertain point, is a skillset all on its own.

I assembled a team that at its height was 40 people (30 is now the average). A few of them were ultimately senior industry professionals. I did it , with ZERO contacts for a cheque that ends in a whole lot of zeroes - and started with them too. The majority of them work over 40 hours a week - some 60 hours a week(!!) - on our project. Yup. That hard.

It is possible, it is simply extremely unlikely. But unlikely != impossible.

What do you need?

1. Credibility.

2. Strong Vision. If you cannot sell them on the idea, how ever do you think you can pitch your game?

3. One Talented Guy. That's all you need to start. One Talented Guy. It generally has to be someone who is talented visually or with music, as code is too ephemeral to pitch to someone initially when recruiting. People need to see that there is talent there already. They need something tangible in which to believe. Talent attracts talent. The first guy is far and away the hardest. It gets easier with every recruit afterwards until at some point you realize you can "borg" very efficiently.

4. Single minded unwavering, *unreasonable* dedication. You have to be able to believe in what you are doing in the face of the plainly obvious conclusion that it is not "realistic".

5. Obsessive honesty. To lead a team - you need to have these people to be able to trust you. Absolutely and without question. That is never given - it is earned over months and years. It is lost in seconds. Once you lose it - it's over. Don't betray your guys on anything. Ever.

6. A Shared dream. This is your budget. Spend it wisely.

7. Never, ever, stop recruiting.

8. Go to where the developers and wannabes are: IGDA chapters, Game forums, 3d schools, university and college C.S. faculties. Learn the lay of the land. See who is who - and who knows who. Network and recruit in multiple areas.

9. Remember that you are supposed to be having fun. Remember this most especially when the fun starts slipping away and it ends up being a whole lot of UNfun work. Remind your guys too.

Greetings,

I was hired as a Technical Designer at BioWare in May. I've been a gamer, hobby level designer, and a hobby programmer my entire life. Getting into the game industry (specifically game design) has been my goal for many years, and I focused my education and work experience towards that goal as much as possible.

I think my biggest assest was probably my portfolio. It was a short, very polished module, which is exactly what BioWare asked for in my submission. I had already completed several other modules, so I was fairly quick and proficient with the toolset. Despite that I spent three months of my free time polishing about a half-hour of gameplay, to ensure that my very best work was being submitted. I also gave them a link to my website, where pretty much every level I had ever created for a game was available for download, all the way back to Doom.

My entire portfolio is still available on the web if you'd like to check it out yourself.

My submission module:

http://nwvault.ign.com/Files/modules/data/...870561000.shtml

My website:

http://members.rogers.com/jason_attard/

Thanks,

Jason Attard

Technical Designer

Secret Project

AnthonyD: Thanks. ;) I think I have a handle on points 0 to 2, but I would need to work on the rest.

I find 3 and 5 difficult to define, as they both depend upon 4. I'm more of a coder and technical doc writer than an artist or musician, so it is difficult for me to judge a realistic amount of content for a team of a particular size to create, let alone a team that is as yet undefined.

I'm reasonably sure I would be able to handle the programming side, as we'll be using an existing game engine and I'm confident I can learn the scripting language it uses. However, it would not be practical for me to learn how to use a 2D art package, 3D modelling software, music composition etc. too.

I'm not sure point 6 is an option, as I have a very specific type of game in mind and it also isn't easy to judge how determined other project leaders are.

Steel_Wind: Most of your suggestions are easy for me to follow. Point 1 I can only hope will come in time, as it is difficult to seem credible whilst still at the planning stage.

Point 4 confuses me a little. How would I judge when plans really were unrealistic if I ignored all evidence to the contrary?

Interesting thread. I've seen some threads here in the past like this, and I've wanted to reply, but I just never did. I've been doing module design for about two years now. Right now we're finishing a rebuild for a large PW, and I think my work recenly has been top notch. Anyway, after doing this for a little while relatively speaking, it is something I think I would find interesting as a career. It's not something I'm going to immediately pursue, as right now I'm interested in other design fields (interior design), but I would like to know if someone with my skill set could have a chance to find work if he pushed hard enough. If you don't mind, I'd like to post what I'm good at, and not so good at, and if possible, tell me where I might fit into the video game design biz.

Technical: I'm no programmer. I can understand basic scripting across a couple of different programs, but I certainly don't have any formal training in anyting other than a little pacal in highschool. From doing alot of hak pack work, I caught on to the inner workings of the game pretty well. However, when it comes to alot of the really techinical jargon thrown on the forums at times that have to do with graphics and coding, I'm still failry clueless. I understand computers fairly well, though I'm sure it's no better than the majority of people who spend alot of time one one. I don't know anyting about creating custom models, but I do think I could do something like that. I've just never tried.

Design: I am a very good area designer. I'm top notch at fleshing out areas with detailed custom lighting, sound, layouts, placeables, etc. I'm creative with using what I'm given, and I'm quick to pick up the little intricacies of the tools I'm working with. I'm fairly good at writing and creative. I'm best at coming up with broad stories, histories, world themes, etc. I'm fair at writing dialog. I'm no fictional writer however, and I don't think I could write any fantasy novels or anything quite like that. While I understand scripting, I could never be confused with a top notch scripter.

Other: I have good people skills. I've spent alot of time at jobs where I was management, but I also work well in a team. I graduated college with a batchelor of science in psychology. I'm not entirely sure what else to list, but hopefully give you an idea whether I have the skills to try and get into game design, or whether I need more schooling/experience. I'll keep up world designing regardless, but I am interested how I might fit into professional game design, what type of position I would best be suited to apply for, etc.