Samurai RPG

EnderAndrew

I'd love a serious take on feudal Japan in an RPG (as opposed to the typical western view, with ninja as action heroes and such).

The only game I know of with a "realistic" take on samurai is Way of the Samurai on PS2 (WotS 2 recently came out here). It's a one-on-one fighter/adventure/RPG hybrid deal.

I had to review Way Of the Samurai 2 recently, and I must say I wasn't all too impressed. The game only uses one save. The game only saves when you quit. When you load that save up again the save is destroyed. All that means that whenever you die, you have to start over from scratch. The game is also very short, although it has several paths to choose from and not all paths can be taken in one playthrough. Unfortunately it is also quite weak in RPG aspects and fighting aspects, plus the graphics are very bland and repetitive. Oh, and if you don't want to look like a beggar, you're forced to wear a skirt.. :p

I'll wait for Obsidian's take on feudal Japan.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I'd have to say my fav clans in order are

Scorpion

Phoenix (only for the magic though)

Dragon

Crab

Mantis/Minor Clans

Unicorn

Lion

Crane

YOu apparently haven't learned that Ratling has become an actual clan with a champion and everything. They have Ratling starters and around as many ratling peronalities as in just about every clan.

"Apparently" I didn't list "any" nonhumans :lol:

I'm well aware of the Nezumi, the Naga and of course the "shadowlands horde", I'm just not overly fond of any of them... though I make allowances for the Naga. B)

-_-

Not in the good ol' days :p

They had a "clan" and a "champion" and a really wicked ancestral item :lol:

They were "retired" from the "modern" game, and removed storywise (more or less) to thin out the number of "clans"

Same with the Brotherhood of Shinsei (the monk "clan")

Imperial put out:

Crane / Crab / Dragon / Lion / Phoenix / Unicorn

Shadowlands brought us:

"Ruined" Scorpion / Naga

Forbidden Knowledge

Nada

Anvil of Despair

Totori's Army / Shadowlands

Crimson and Jade

Mantis / Brotherhood of Shinsei

Time of the Void

Nada

From there they kinda went wild adding new strongholds for a while (threw the Hidden Emperor line until the end of Spirit War)

After that I really don't know what's been added or removed.

Well now the naga have 2 cards, both unique, no stronghold, no ancestral item, and that's about it.

Toturi's Army is the same as the Monkey Clan (has like 2 people in it and is obviously a minor clan but is lead by Toku).

Brotherhood of Shinsei are basically the monks now, but they don't do anything.

Scorpion are a real offical clan that's not corrputed or anything now.

Shadowlands hasn't always been around? Oh.

Lion is good and strong (though they're strongest general has lost most of his soul to Iuchiban).

The Crane are fine I think

Dragon's big mountain places have errupted and gone earthquakey (thanks alot, dark oracle of fire...), so they've left that and are in a truce after alot of war with the pheonix.

THe unicorn are agreeing to have the Kaiu wall extended to their lands. They also have the 2nd most powerful army (yay for the lions).

Don't really know what's up with the pheonix...oh yah, their hiden city where they contained and researched all the uber dangerous stuff and kept powerful artifacts has been discovered and destroyed by Iuchiban and Yjandin (his friend/top servant). Isawa's last wish is with Aikune. but Iuchiban is trying to take it.

The mantis are one of the great clans (I have good mantis stuff and am thinking of playing as them because almost everytime I open a booster, a very rare mantis card falls out on me even though i am a lion player). Mantis used to be the most weak and useless clan, but after no one as mantis placed in the top 100 in the country (or maybe it was top 50), they changed that and Mantis is good now.

The crab I know almost nothing about, but they're happy smashing things with big clubs on their wall... Oh yah, their champion (Kuon)'s brother died and is now a shadowlands general with his soul trapped...

The Nezumi/Ratlings are fighting a small civil war with the tainted paw (ratlings seduced to evil even though they can't be tainted). A big city has risen out of the shadowlands (and become Iuchiban's capital or one of his cities) that look-look like home (in nezumi speech patterns). They're champion is cool and they use swarming tactics and stealing of items and stuff.

The dead spirits have passed back into rokugan (following Matsu Gohei, fortune of heroes) to save the world as the army of the dead. Only one can be permanantly brought back though. Since Iuchiban is planning to destroy Rokugan and then the heavens, they want to stop him while they can. Players from a tournament decided I think 30 people who come back. Shadowlands ones join the legion of blood, Iuchiban's new people.

Alot of the people from your time are coming back... Here's the list

http://l5r.alderac.com/ccg/kotei_results.html

Me too.

Anyway, back on topic (or else this will get locked). What system would be ideal for a Samurai/Ancient Japan RPG? I'm a massive fan of unisystem in just about everything, but in a videogame, it would probably have to be different. Combat would be both the best and most difficult (and riskiest) part.

In all seriousness, I am quite shocked that there hasn't been a major feudal Japanese RPG.

Japanese console RPG makers have focused on Samurai's in space, or Mech-battle RPGs, but not even Sqauresoft has put out a Samurai RPG.

I think the potential for such a title is huge, and I'd really like to see Obsidian take a stab at the genre in a future project. If possible, take a look at the Legend of the Five Rings license.

I agree. A Ninja/Samurai Ancient Japan RPG would be sweet!

Ambrosia3.gif

If it's a samurai rpg, I think it should be a less traditional rpg game... I mean, not BG style, but more like dynasty warriors mixed with final fantasy and with elements of a pnp rpg style, if you understand what I'm saying.

Agreed. I want some good onisu here. O, and unlike many good adventure/rpg/action games, this one should come out on PC.

I still think the combat system has to be kinda unique. Either do it from the FF style or have the ability to press buttons to do attack and stuff. Not BG style comat whatever u do. Actually, if it were more FF style of combat from a Dynasty Warriors camera style, I think that would be nice. Maybe a kingdom hearts thing?

Okay, what about something like Xenogears?

Numbers and stats control combat. However, you can select different combos to try. Different combos have different effects on different enemies. You unlock and learn more combos as the game progresses.

The combos aren't twitchy moves you do, but rather a series of button presses, like X-O-X-Triangle-Square.

Sounds interesting...I have been interested in Xenogears (vaguely curious as I saw an add in a comic book), but it was a little before my time. Is it good? Combat system? I like the combo system. That mandates at least a tiny bit of skill. Reminds me of one of the only good things in Legend of Dragoon: The addition system (had its flaws, but principle and overall execution good).