Please make Dark Side more enjoyable

If you are roleplaying your character, your decisions should be based on whether or not you "feel" for the characters.

Playing Darkside is a whole lot more than just being a spoiled brat.

I agree with what you say on roleplaying -though I've had too little experience with rp games-; however I don't think Kotor allows *that* sort of an identification with the character. You're basically unraveling a story, not creating it, or at least changing it; which would be the case if the actions of the main character in effect, had the consequences in the direction you 'felt' were right. LS or DS actions have shallow consequences, the most important result of which is a pop up window that says 'xS points gained' -and the quest for the Star Forge continues all the same.

Perhaps even more importantly; the silly and pretensious brand of wisdom/benevolance that is *imposed* on your LS character doesn't leave much room for a full role-play. How is it possible to identify oneself with the character if there's one unchanging way for it to appear 'good'. It's the same with DS; but with DS you aren't asked to take things seriously, the mock-Force-philosophy being absent, and all the Sith and Dark Jedi being laughable arrogant bastards (I'm talking about the game).

All I want to say is that Kotor was not that type of a game, in my opinion. Now if there were a SW RPG in which it really meant sense to feel for the characters, *then* DS or LS decisions would have made a difference.

On a side note, though: With TSL this might change a bit; perhaps I'm expecting too much from the new party-members interaction, but if they really respond to your actions in a way that's not superficial, then it might be the case that making LS-DS decisions start to have more meaning, and at least alter in some ways how the story unravels. -and it can't be denied that at least as far as party members are concerned, people do 'like' or 'hate' them; so that's another reason why their more intelligent interaction might be a step towards really 'feeling for the characters'.

In any case unless the cheesy benevolence of the 'good' in LS is improved, it won't appeal to me.

Zwangvolle Plage!

M

I believe there should be more consequences to your ds actions, for example the chick with the wraid plate in kotor, when you take it from her she says a few words and disappears into thin air, why not see the consequences of what you have done to her and her entire family, i think that would separate the ds men from the ds boys :angry:

Because lets get this straight the ds isnt just being nasty to people/threatening people/killing people, its a whole lot more. Its cunning and sinister, such as darth sidious in episode 2, people didnt suspect him yet he was without doubt evil, just not a thug

I believe there should be more consequences to your ds actions, for example the chick with the wraid plate in kotor, when you take it from her she says a few words and disappears into thin air, why not see the consequences of what you have done to her and her entire family, i think that would separate the ds men from the ds boys :angry:

I don't think it's a big deal to have few consequences in such 'local' cases as the woman with the wraid plate; on a larger scale -that which concerns how you actually undertake the main quest- 'shallow consequences' go hand in hand with a greatly restricted number of possible actions that one can take. It's a great limitation imposed by the fact that Kotor is a computer game, and implies basically that there is one rigid way to be good and one rigid way to be bad, and one way to get to the star forge, and one way to beat malak: I'm not saying this is a shortcoming of the game; it's just that this is the extent Kotor allows a real role-playing experience. In the above post I didn't really mean that what 'lacked' in Kotor was that we weren't allowed to not only take the wraid plate from the woman, but also sell her into slavery. That is not the 'problem'; I wasn't even bringing up a problem.

back on topic, if there was ever a 'problem' with the DS in KOtor, it was that the 'give me money' school of evil overshadowed the really evil deeds -that's it.

Zwangvolle Plage!

M

I don't think it's a big deal to have few consequences in such 'local' cases as the woman with the wraid plate; on a larger scale -that which concerns how you actually undertake the main quest- 'shallow consequences' go hand in hand with a greatly restricted number of possible actions that one can take. It's a great limitation imposed by the fact that Kotor is a computer game, and implies basically that there is one rigid way to be good and one rigid way to be bad, and one way to get to the star forge, and one way to beat malak: I'm not saying this is a shortcoming of the game; it's just that this is the extent Kotor allows a real role-playing experience. In the above post I didn't really mean that what 'lacked' in Kotor was that we weren't allowed to not only take the wraid plate from the woman, but also sell her into slavery. That is not the 'problem'; I wasn't even bringing up a problem.

back on topic, if there was ever a 'problem' with the DS in KOtor, it was that the 'give me money' school of evil overshadowed the really evil deeds -that's it.

Good point

I have to say it was the thing that put me off playing the DS version of the game was that 'school bully' attitude that it had. As people have said Bioware have never been that good at wrting evil...I hope Obsidian can do better.

I'd personally like a bit more depth to the DS. I suppose the most obvious parallel in Star Wars, would be the rise of the Emperor in the prequels and how he manitpulated events to get there...maybe a bit too grand to start off with in this game, but by the end?

Here's some more ramblings:

Since the official title now is THE SITH LORDS, how about the game lets me become one at the end? Or better yet, right at the beginning so then I can field my own army and conquer and destroy everyone in my path? :huh:

The dark side path with Bastila in KOTOR1 felt rather stupid too. Whenever I do something, she goes: "Well done, Master! Keep it up!" :o Hey, if I am the Master I should be the one saying that! I felt really awkward. Imagine Darth Vader saying that to the Emperor. He would say: "How dare you? I'll smack you silly!" ;)

I think Obsidian will probably include DS party members, but where's the fun in that? I want to be able to tempt Atris dammit! :o

I think Obsidian will probably include DS party members, but where's the fun in that? I want to be able to tempt Atris dammit! :huh:

Who doesn't want to tempt her? :o. But naturally some people will be DS from the very beginning - that's only natural and it was this way with a few members of KOTOR 2 too. But since at least some of the characters will be temptable in this game - through we do not know which ones - it'll be easier to build a DS party in KOTOR 2 - so that'll be our small army :D

Despite the fact that many people who've played KOTOR has a negative view on it, I'm still very optimistic about the Februari release and can't wait to get my paws on the game :D

From what i have read about it i think obsidian have realized the depth it gives to the gameplay to be able to choose your own destiny and agenda in the game, and i think (well hope) that they build upon this heavily.

I also thought a really cool part was when your appearance changed to match your allignment, i didnt expect that in the first game and i was really pleased when i noticed

I intend to be Dark Side throughout KOTOR2 and not replay it as light side either.

B)

you and me both :unsure: the DS is definitly the cooler option, even when i try to play the game LS i always find myself straying to the DS, like when the sith wannabes on korriban insulted me, do i:

A) tell them i want no trouble?

B) use my lightsabre to give them a couple more arseholes?

for me there is no contest, but thats just me :D

I would like to see TSL explore the history of the Darkside more by making avalible ancient Sith holocrons containing information from the very first Dark Jedi on how to better wield the destructive power of the Dakside. Artifacts from the Ragnos, Sadow, and Kun era's would be cool. Also I would like some of the EU Sith Lords to appear to your character and give guidance and info on the ancient ways of the Sith. The ultimate would be to encounter some surviving Massassi and learn things first hand from the last of the true Sith. This would be a much more intriguing experience over all than the last game. Personally though I doubt any of the above is being used in TSL. This game will probably be just like KOTOR in the sense you get a new force power each level up and the game just says have fun kid.

Cheers!

Wow...it would be awesome if you could see FMVs in the sith holocrons... We were missing cool cutscenes and FMVs in KOTOR... Anyway, I've hearrd constantly that obsidian is de-thugifying the dark side (or trying too). Like the difference between Sidious and a random bully...

Sidious uses deception and works in the shadows; kind of behind the scenes. He rarely directly confronts someone. I can only thing of when he, as the Emperor, used Force Lightning against Luke. I can't see KOTOR2 allowing that kind of play.

Sidious uses deception and works in the shadows; kind of behind the scenes.  He rarely directly confronts someone.  I can only thing of when he, as the Emperor, used Force Lightning against Luke.  I can't see KOTOR2 allowing that kind of play.

I don't agree. In the situation on Onderon, you can play out both sides against each others, or so the interview says. Isn't this the kind of thing Palpatine would do? Play both sides against each other but not directly involite ourselves?

Despite the fact that many people who've played KOTOR has a negative view on it, I'm still very optimistic about the Februari release and can't wait to get my paws on the game :D

Ohhhh! ^_^ More history would be great! More history and more indepth DS funness :D I actually have pretty high hopes for the DS in TSL, because you can twist your party members to your liking. That's an improvement . . . and if my hopes are dashed, someone's getting hurt :o And that idea of playing sides . . . hasn't that been mentioned? Or is it just my hopeful imagination ;)

And to you guys who say the DS is all about stealing credits. When I forced myself to go to LS mastery, all I had to do was give credits away. OHH!!! How sweet and kind; what compassion-filled gestures those were! Handouts and charity, right. I'll stick with my DS, thank you. At least I won't be broke and I won't be supporting laziness and idiocy.

Here's to hopes that the DS will be more than just bullying ^_^

I think using atifacts of the ds should corrupt you. Like the sword of Ajunta pall. He did saying keeping the sword would affect, you didn't he? Or Marka Ragnos's gauntlets. Or Tulak Hord's mask. Or Naga Sadows poison blade. [i know, this is kind of random] <_<