Women Over 40 Biggest Online Gamers

Ellester

Women Over 40 Biggest Online Gamers - Study

By Ben Berkowitz

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Think teenagers are spending all night long playing online games on the computer? Wrong -- it's their mothers burning the midnight oil.

AOL, a unit of Time Warner Inc., released a study on Tuesday showing that U.S. women over the age of 40 spend nearly 50 percent more time each week playing online games than men and are more likely to play online games daily than men or teens.

Of those women over 40 who had formed online friendships, AOL said, more than 20 percent converted those virtual connections into real-life relationships.

Fueling the arguments of those who say that gaming takes away from other activities, 44 percent of the women over 40 who responded to the survey, conducted by Digital Marketing Services, said they spend less time watching TV or movies, reading or being physically active because of their game play.

More than a quarter of those women, the survey found, play their favorite games between midnight and 5 a.m. Women in the poll tended to favor word and puzzle games.

About half of teens surveyed reported spending more time playing games than reading and more than a quarter doing more gaming than homework.

AOL also did research on gaming habits in major cities, finding that people who play games online in Los Angeles are far more likely (31 percent) to form off-line relationships than the national average (18 percent).

Atlanta and Boston were the most game-happy cities overall, at about 8 hours per capita per week, the survey said.

The survey was conducted online with 3,613 respondents between mid-December and mid-January, the company said.

-A pretty small study, but believable, my mom plays card games non-stop. Also, pretty funny about on-line gaming is turning into real life relationships for these women. I think online gaming might put Matchmaker out of business. :D

Life is like a clam. Years of filtering crap then some bastard cracks you open and scrapes you into its damned mouth, end of story.

- Steven Erikson

I would not be surprised if someone moves to do exactly that ... a SIM that trys to matchmake in an artificial (sci-fi/fantasy ...) genre. Man just read Otherland ... good article - thanks!

The universe is change;
your life is what our thoughts make it
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

:dragon:

All this says is that 40 something women have nothing else to do with their lives.

Exitium

RPG Codex - the premier avant garde gaming news site.

"It is more convenient to follow one's conscience than one's intelligence, for at every failure, conscience finds an excuse and an encouragement in itself. That is why there are so many conscientious and so few intelligent people." - Nietzsche

All this says is that 40 something women have nothing else to do with their lives.

Hey! My mom buys and plays every adventure game there is. Her favourites are Grim Fandango, The Longest Journey and Syberia. She has a life!! I think..

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I think this demonstrates that broads have become complacent in their home economics duties. Less time in front of the computer more time in front of the stove I say. :D (this post should not be taken seriously as it is meant to provoke as a jest)

ur ded faget. (this post should not be taken seriously as it is meant to provoke as a jest)

I think this demonstrates that broads have become complacent in their home economics duties.  Less time in front of the computer more time in front of the stove I say.  :D  (this post should not be taken seriously as it is meant to provoke as a jest)

ur ded faget. (this post should not be taken seriously as it is meant to provoke as a jest)

Its all good

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb!

prostytutka

HA, this makes me think of my mom making fun of me for playing videogames, until Everquest came out, then she took my computer to her room and bought me a new one. I really liked that computer, but I suppose its better than her nightly drinking binges..or not.............BTW anyone that thinks RPGS are not reading doesn't play much of them, FF7 and Fallout series come to mind (Except for the talking heads of course)

Women over 40 have nothing to do?! Actually, with the jobs and the kids and the housework and all, they are more busy than ANYONE else except maybe women from age 25-40. At least women over 40 usually don't have YOUNG children.

Great escape though. I can just see my mom smiting orcs instead of her co-workers and her husband and, um, me. "If you leave the dishes in the sink ONE MORE TIME, I'll filet you with my Sword of Sharp Pointy Motherly Righteousness!!! What are you, handicapped?! You are now! HAHAHAHA!"

Good cure for empty nest syndrome. If your children are away at college/university (or have left for good) and your husband is at work all day it must leave you with a lot of free time. When I used to oversee Meridian people were always meeting up and getting married as a result of playing the game. Its also a nice safe way to meet people. Even if you dont know who you are getting.

I wouldnt be that suprised if the unemployed play a lot of online games too.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

I play card gamnes sometimes over at yahoo, a lot if not most of the people who play there are middle aged women. I guess this survey refers to that rather than Star Wars Galaxies etc.

BTW I'm suprised this hasn't decended into 'your momma' jokes so to start it off:

Last night 1 pwn3d ur m0m at team fortress!!.1!! Sh3 w4s a HW guy c0s sh3 1s s0 f4t. LOLOLOLOLOLOL.

I blame it on my kids... <_<

They just *had* to have the N64 and Zelda: OOT for Christmas that year. Since I believe in being involved in what my kids do...hands on approach to parenting...my hands were on the other controller and I played.

It was my daughters friend that got me into CRPG's...so for me it is just a hobby.

No different than gardening, sewing, reading...etc.

I figure...I am women, I am strong, I can do anything including laundry and rid the earth of evil and the same time... :D

Farscape: Use your mind...Lose your heart

the problem is that these women dont have anything to do after sending their kids to school and seeing their husband off to work. so they just waste their time playing games. actually this is a blessing for husbands, since im sure that most men would prefer higher internet bills then having their wives sleep around while they work.

Any woman I fall in love with will have to like videogames as much as or more than I do, otherwise, we'll be a divorce statistic inside of a year

Don't say that! When I played through Divine Divinity, my girlfriend saw me playing and seemed interested. I didn't think much about it and went to work. When I got back my character was like.. 20 levels higher than when I left and almost all the fog of war had been erased! She blames the cat, but I don't believe her.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!