KotOR 2 in general

Jad'en

I hope the graphics engine has been greatly optimized. I hope the story (which I liked in KotOR) has been improved as far as incentive goes. I hope the PC-version gets free mouselook. I hope the maps are much, much bigger this time around. I hope the game doesn't have to load data everytime you enter a building. I hope there's a bigger difference between dark side/light side in KotOR2. I hope the NPC's you meet (and use as henchmen) are interesting, charming and if not - killable. I hope the main quest isn't as linear. I hope there are more sidequests which have an impact on the game itself. I hope the game will be a raving success (among both critics and players) and bring loads of cash to Obsidian's funds.

Amen.

I do not think that great optimizations were made. It looks better definately but not vast improvements. I think that there is no mouselook in this one either (From what i read)

Well, the PC could have learned the twist the same way but just a way to prevent Bastila's capture.

Good point.

Was thinking about the hundreds of ways, and figured that maybe Malak said something that planted a seed of doubt in Bastila's mind about the goodness of the jedi council. And then a turning point in the game could be when she decided to turn on you and the others in another confrontation with Malak.

So guess you're right Nur...there are hundreds of ways the game could explore how she turned to the darkside.

I agree with most of your ideas, but especially on the side quest comments. I think the side quest should show more about the culture and individual aspects of the races and factions of the galaxy. I really would have liked if you got the start of a quest on one planet and you got to go to anouther planet that wasn't required for the main mission. The Yavin station was the closest think to this, but it really is hardley realized.

I think everyone hoped that the size of the game wouldn't just be sort of bare neccesities as far as the main quest went, with just missions like, since you are in the area, why don't you rescue this guy, or get this item

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

Full support! No more leviathan linear bugs!

For the love of God, stop calling it a bug! It's not a bug! It's a design decision that you're obsession over Bastila makes you dislike.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Poorly constructed and cheated duel with Malak in which two superstrong jedi knights - Revan and Bastila are beaten by that jawless loser.

HERMOCRATES:

Nur Ab Sal was one such king. He it was, say the wise men of Egypt, who first put men in the colossus, making many freaks

of nature at times when the celestial spheres were well aligned.

SOCRATES:

This I doubt. We are hearing a child's tale.

Can someone explain to me (preferable you GOA as i trust you with this type of thing) what the "leviathan linear bug" is?

Let me preface my explanation by first saying that Nur Ab Sal is obsessed with Bastila and thus thinks ANYTHING in the story that had her do or act any different than what he thinks she should have done, is "wrong".

But this "bug" that he refers to is how on the Leviathan, no matter what you do, Bastila always is captured by Malak and falls to the DS, and that no matter if you're "killing" Malak in your fight, the cutscene kicks in where Malak freezes you. So in reality, it's not a "bug", but Nur Ab Sal insists it is because he doesn't like the idea that the character he believes is the most powerful Jedi in the game gets caught regardless of what you (the PC) do.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

A+s all around for getting off topic once again

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

See why i asked him over others :D

And anyways Nur Ab Sal if your character wasnt lvl 20 with some kick ass battle stims and such, then you wouldnt stand a chance...the highest my character has been is like 16 on the leviathan thus i can beat him to the right amount of health....but if he had the same strength as on the SF i would of been mauled <_<

Anakin was stronger than bastila....she was skilled in battle meditation...not overall in the force. (on topic :) )

Let me preface my explanation by first saying that Nur Ab Sal is obsessed with Bastila...

Obsessed is too big word, but let's say that she and Carth are my favourite characters and others are jerks.

What's really the essence of my problem is my approach to RPG. I like games where you can influence the storyline and where linear twists are made in a convincing way. And the whole duel with Malak is cheated and it is some kind of joke. I see clear laziness of the devs who could really add one or two alternatives to the leviathan. I don't like situation when everything is programmed to work only one way and game over. And since computer RPGs originated from pen&paper they should be as similar as possible to pnp. Clear?

HERMOCRATES:

Nur Ab Sal was one such king. He it was, say the wise men of Egypt, who first put men in the colossus, making many freaks

SOCRATES:

You know it has been discussed already in "Feigned Roleplaying" thread. I don't want to repeat my arguments endlessly. Let's say that during running KOTOR as pnp campaign Bastila's downfall or leviathan capture or Malak duel would be optional possibilities among hundreds of other possibilities. And that's the true beauty of RPG...I believe that computer RPG should simulate pnp as far as possible.

HERMOCRATES:

SOCRATES:

I agree the event had to happen, I'm sorry that you lost Bastilla Nur Ab Sal, but she really didn't love you anyway.

I see that you really don't read my arguments. Well have it your way then.

HERMOCRATES:

SOCRATES:

The truth is when you were on the Uncharted planet with the Rakatans she was with me I'm sorry Nur Ab Sal :)

optional possibilities among hundreds of other possibilities. And that's the true beauty of RPG...I believe that computer RPG should simulate pnp as far as possible.

but having hundreds of possibilities in a crpg doesnt qualify as possible by a longshot. if devs was to spend 15 years on a game perhaps, but not the way its done now.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Yeah but a few more would do the trick. I didn't say that CRPGs should simulate completely pnp - but only as much as possible.

HERMOCRATES:

SOCRATES:

I've always had a problem with the Leviathan too, but my complaint mainly centers on how insanely easy Malak was to beat. Give us a cutscene fight where he mops the floor with us the first time out, says I.(like they did first time you meet Calo Nord)

As regards to the idea of making the encounter randomized, you have to figure that the Sith know you're going after the Star Maps and are probably getting pretty worried after you recover 3 of them. They are going to go after you, and it's very unlikely that the Ebon Hawk is going to be able to break the tractor beam of the Leviathan. The Sith ARE definitely going after you...not just maybe. It makes sense to me that you're going to be a guest of Saul Karath at some point.

So why jedi council said that thing about jedi master's presence? That he will only attract attention? It was supposed to be a covert mission...add to this info about ebon hawk as a ship that was very fast and hard to track - and leviathan shouldn't happen or be optional.

HERMOCRATES:

SOCRATES:

But when you have a game script made out with specific key events in the story, you need to get those events to happen and that'll only happen if you force the story one way or the other. As long as there is a core story to follow, any freedom in the game will be a compromise. The leviathan thing is pretty textbook and it worked for most of us.

I dont know if Im derailing the thread here but how would you have done it, Nur?

I would have made the odds completely overwhelming so that Bastilas sacrifice was a real sacrifice. Also give her better reasons to sacrifice herself.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I would make a cutscene with Malak instead of a ridiculous fight

And I would give you time limit on the Leviathan. If you could manage to get to the Ebon Hawk before time is up you wouldn't meet Malak...admit that game would be much more interesting then.

HERMOCRATES:

SOCRATES:

I would make a cutscene with Malak instead of a ridiculous fight

And I would give you time limit on the Leviathan. If you could manage to get  to the Ebon Hawk before time is up you wouldn't meet Malak...admit that game would be much more interesting then.

You have point that KotOR would've been a whole more interesting if all those options were considered. However, it would've probably become too many variables for Bioware to consider in order to get the game done by summer of 2003 (Xbox, that is.)

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy