sci-fi channel

taks

ok, who besides me watched the prattle on the sci-fi channel called "the buried secret of m. night shyamalan"?

damn. what a bunch of bull-puckey. the two "documentary film-makers" were morons. the whole show was obviously scripted with cheesy actors/actresses OR, real people with a bad script. they made it out like there really was some "supernatural" influence in night's life and that the movies he's made are stories of things that have really happened to him...

what a load. i can't tell you how disappointed i was watching this insult to my intelligence. it was so obvious everybody was reading from a script. this was nothing more than a plug for the movie which i had planned to see anyway.

grrr.... comments?

taks

comrade taks... just because.

I didn't see it (we don't get SciFi in Canada, though maybe it aired on Space, but I haven't watched TV at all for ages), but Shyamalan pulled out of that project quite early on when he realised the point was to be sensationalist drivel and not a serious documentary.

But SciFi went ahead and did it anyways, without Night's co-operation or approval. So no wonder it was a piece of crap.

newlogo.gif

The ONLY sci-fi original since MST3K that was worth watching was Battlestar Galactica. I heard they were going to make a series out of it, but that hasn't materialized yet. Go figure.

Sometimes I have a hard time deciding which is worse, the sci-fi originals or the movies that they play during the day. Remember that Taken crap? I still can't believe I watched that. I stopped watching that ripoff of it that USA has the second I saw that they were using the same actors.

I didn't see it (we don't get SciFi in Canada, though maybe it aired on Space, but I haven't watched TV at all for ages), but Shyamalan pulled out of that project quite early on when he realised the point was to be sensationalist drivel and not a serious documentary.

But SciFi went ahead and did it anyways, without Night's co-operation or approval. So no wonder it was a piece of crap.

actually, he "pulled out" in the last week of filming for the "documentary."

it was during an interview where the filmmakers asked about his drowning incident at the age of 10. the scene was OBVIOUSLY staged. i.e. night was in on the gag. there was sudden "audio malfunction" during his pullout so you couldn't hear what they were saying (lots of cursing by the "publicist")... it was ridiculous.

that's my point, btw... night didn't storm out or get PO'd because they were making it into "sensationalist drivel." he was part of the drivel and i was insulted by it.

taks

i also watched the sci-fi original "they are among us" the other night and almost puked. worst movie i've ever seen. i still don't understand what was "really" going on. it was a mish-mash of scenes linked together poorly at best, and completely unrelated at worst. the acting was believable by the main protagonist, but the jumpy storyline eliminated any chance of salvation...

grrr... i'm so annoyed with them.

taks

lol scifi channel is pretty hoaky most of the time imo.. I'd rather watch the latest Fox news slant then Scifi channel most of the time.. And thats pretty low.. lol

why do you have to go and throw your political rhetoric into everything?

i'd rather watch the sci-fi channel than listen to any more of your moronic posts.

taks

lol. I dont man.. But its true. Just a couple nights ago last time I watched TV I watched scifi channel for a minute.. Then went to Fox news, and I was more entertained by Fox news... And IMO Fox news(or any news really) is ridiculously slanted wanting to watch it over another program says many things about the skipped over program. lol.

Sorry maybe I should lie or something.. Uhm ya, I'd rather watch the E channel over Scifi..

Ambrosia3.gif

I'd rather have an oral bowel movement than watch Fox News.

Is that sound-bitable enough for you? (One of these days I will make Howling's sig with one of my quotes)

I was somewhat curious to see this documentary, though I missed it. I figured it was a publicity hoax, but was curious to see if it was good hoax, and what the twist was.

I figured it was a publicity hoax, but was curious to see if it was good hoax, and what the twist was.

Indeed it seems to be just that:

Network Says Profile of Director Shyamalan Was Hoax

Mon Jul 19, 7:08 PM ET Add Entertainment - Reuters to My Yahoo!

By Steve Gorman

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - The Sci Fi cable network and parent company NBC Universal acknowledged on Monday that a special purported to be an unauthorized documentary on director M. Night Shyamalan was really part of a "guerrilla marketing" hoax that went too far.

The three-hour program, which aired on Sunday, was falsely promoted as a "disturbing expose" of the filmmaker that Shyamalan first cooperated with, then tried to have shut down when producers delved too deeply into his personal life.

It turns out Shyamalan was in on the entire production, cooked up to generate publicity for his upcoming film, "The Village," a supernatural thriller set for release July 30 by Walt Disney Co.-owned Touchstone Pictures, according to Sci Fi Channel and NBC Universal.

The faux documentary, titled "The Buried Secret of M. Night Shyamalan," was concocted as part of a "guerrilla marketing" campaign emulating a promotional strategy that helped turn the low-budget 1999 thriller "The Blair Witch Project" into a box office hit, Sci Fi spokeswoman Jean Guerin told Reuters.

In this case, the strategy worked a bit too well, leaving a number of entertainment journalists grumbling after they were duped into writing stories reporting the purported conflict between Shyamalan and "documentary" producers as fact.

Guerin said Sci Fi has often presented its promotional campaigns and ads as "a puzzle for people to figure out."

"The intention is never to hurt the press, to have them go along with you, so I think that's where it sort of took a wrong turn," she said.

By aiming to deceive journalists, "this particular campaign went one step too far," NBC Universal spokeswoman Rebecca Marks said. "It's not consistent with our publicity and marketing policy. It's misleading."

Sci Fi insisted that Touchstone was not involved in the campaign, but studio officials were not immediately available for comment.

Shyamalan, whose previous films include "The Sixth Sense" and "Signs," issued a statement suggesting the cable channel merely got carried away "by thinking out of the box."

"I was, of course, involved in the production of the special but had nothing to do with the marketing of it," he said. "If the Sci Fi Channel erred in their marketing strategy, it was totally out of enthusiasm."

Marks said development of "Buried Secret" began before the Sci Fi was acquired by NBC as part of the broadcaster's recent merger with Vivendi Universal Entertainment. NBC Universal is owned by the General Electric Co. .

Asked when NBC Universal became aware of the nature of the special, Marks said, "They're reviewing the situation to find out and taking steps to make sure it doesn't happen again."

The special was directed Nathaniel Kahn, who earned an Oscar nomination for a documentary about his father, the late architect Louis Kahn.

newlogo.gif

lol. I dont man.. But its true. Just a couple nights ago last time I watched TV I watched scifi channel for a minute.. Then went to Fox news, and I was more entertained by Fox news... And IMO Fox news(or any news really) is ridiculously slanted wanting to watch it over another program says many things about the skipped over program. lol.

Sorry maybe I should lie or something.. Uhm ya, I'd rather watch the E channel over Scifi..

I'd rather watch Stargate SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis (which are on Sci Fi) than watch Fox News. Of course they are probably the only two good shows on the network. :)

I figured it was a publicity hoax, but was curious to see if it was good hoax, and what the twist was.

Indeed it seems to be just that:

am i good or what... :lol:

it REALLY was that obvious. i'm curious about the journalists that were still writing AFTER the film aired... are they really that stupid they couldn't figure it out?

taks