Question about Experience

I'm not sure if this has been asked before, but has anyone heard if character you are not playing still gain EXP like in the first? It was nice that I could pickup the less used character to complete their side quests without having to run around and level them up first.

I'm not sure if this has been asked before, but has anyone heard if character you are not playing still gain EXP like in the first? It was nice that I could pickup the less used character to complete their side quests without having to run around and level them up first.

Most likely

Actually, I disliked that system. It didn't follow the rules and discouraged usage of less powerful characters (why level them up? when I need them they will already be that powerful). It also seemed unfair to one's more powerful characters (my person who has seen all the action is the same level as the person I have never put into my party).

It was said in an interview that all characters would continue to gain experience at the same rate.

What i want to know is if they will change the amount of exp points needed to level up each time. How else can they fit 30 levels in if the game will only be slightly longer than the original?

It's not like an MMORPG, where you can go around endlessly killing mobs until you level up. True, there are certain things that respawn at certain places, like Wild Rancors, Kath Hounds, and Wraids, but those don't give enough XP to level up much. Most of the xp comes from going through the story, which can't just go back and do with another character. If you took all the XP given throughout the game, and divided it among your characters rather than giving all of it to all of them, you probably wouldn't have any characters over level 10. The way this game works doesn't allow you to just "Level up" any character you want, it just comes by playing the game.

So say you used a few characters in the beginning of the game a lot, and they were pretty powerful later on, but you hadn't touched the others. Eventually, you'll want variety and to change chracters, but in the harder places, your other characters wouldn't work, because they'd suck. Sure it's fine and dandy to use Mission with 30 VP on Taris, but on the Unknown Planet, if she hasn't leveled up, you couldn't use her, what with all the Rancors hitting for 40 points. She simply wouldn't be an option.

The game encourages you to use all the mebmers of your party for different situations and the XP share system actually makes that possible. The game is all about choices and options, and if you didn't share XP, then you'd be severely limited in your party options, and if you wanted to be able to use any character whenever you wanted, you'd be forced to devote equal game time to all of them throughout the entire game, which you probably wouldn't want to do.

There was a bug that if you didn't level up right away (such as if you were waiting to save your levels to be a Jedi) that the NPCs in your party did not have the same ammount of experience as you.

Since you start as a Jedi, I'm not sure this will be a major factor, but I wonder if the bug has been indentified and fixed.

There was a bug that if you didn't level up right away (such as if you were waiting to save your levels to be a Jedi) that the NPCs in your party did not have the same ammount of experience as you.

Since you start as a Jedi, I'm not sure this will be a major factor, but I wonder if the bug has been indentified and fixed.

The system works the same for granting XP, yeah. I'm not sure about that bug though. I doubt anyone's looked into it on our end since I haven't heard about it before. Note that NPCs were never supposed to have the /same/ amount of experience as you in KotOR1. Throughout the game, they're supposed to be earning 80% of what you earn, if I remember right.

-Akari

The system works the same for granting XP, yeah. I'm not sure about that bug though. I doubt anyone's looked into it on our end since I haven't heard about it before. Note that NPCs were never supposed to have the /same/ amount of experience as you in KotOR1. Throughout the game, they're supposed to be earning 80% of what you earn, if I remember right.

-Akari

I'm surprised you havn't heard of that bug before as it was quite widely discussed when KotOR came out. A lot of people put off leveling up so they could take more jedi levels and found that thier sidekicks where getting less and less experience.

This could effect your prestege classes if they work the same way as swiching to a jedi class did in the first game.

Everyone knows Science Fiction is really cool. You know what PoE really needs? Spaceships! There isn't any game that wouldn't be improved by a space combat minigame. Adding one to PoE would send sales skyrocketing, and ensure the game was remembered for all time!!!!!

-Akari

I never really paid attention to the amount, but 80% was fine. 50% or nothing would be rather annoying.

-Akari

That would explain the slack. Not to mention you get a whole free level when you become a Jedi.