Star Wars Timeframe

In the books all the time they reference particle shields. They keep micrometeorites away and solid matter. Energy and the like is kept at bay by the energy shields. The particle shields are up and running even while not in combat. Usually when just shields are refered to, energy shields are what the books are talking about. If they specifically say particle shields, then you can guess what they're talking about.

That doesn't change the fact that it makes no sense to have personal energy shields available and not ship energy fields. Technology starts large and gets smaller. That is the evolution of technological devices, its not the other way around.

So starships have a contiunal power from their engines to power their shields. THey are large and in charge while Personal shields are dinky and can't protect as well. So basically, shield technology hasn't changed a whole lot in 4000 years in Star Wars. :rolleyes:

Who said that they use shields in starships. The only evidence i have for this statement is that no one has shot me down yet. Also, war technology develops fastest in war. The republic had little high level encounters in this war I think between the sith and "modern" SW. Also, shields have gotten stronger and ships have gotten faster. That's a major change. Efficency has increased but looks around the same generally. Lasers are also much more powerful.

guys... its a star wars GAME. GAME. Hades.... if you were in control of this aspect, how would you have done it?

One rule though: You aren't making the game for yourself... but you are a developer in charge of creating a game that will appeal to the masses. How would you have changed KOTOR enough so that it looked like it was set 4000 years prior, but yet still felt like it was a star wars game?

He has a point... Actually both of you have good points... I hate playing the mediator... Ultimately, whether we like it or not, things are based on money not quality. Popularity, not correctness. A game has to sell itself.

Simple. I would have kept blasters and such large scale. Captial ships only. That means all the guns would be various types of slug throwers. The most advance slug thrower would use an electro-thermic reaction to propel the bullet. If you ever saw Alien Ressurection that would be the visual effect I would use. Personal blasters would be fairly powerful and might make an appearance towards the end of the game as they would be rare and expensive.

Also I would take the time frame involved and change teh light saber as well. There wouldn't be light saber double blade in the game whatsoever. I would aslo keep the light sabers, being new weapons, rare. At this time various regular bladed swords such as vibroblades and monoblades would be used.

I would also remove personal energy shields as they were in the game, but actually have equipable metal shields that have charged plating.

I would keep the starships and such as they are.

I'd agree with removal of shields. Put in the superconductive metal. Don't remove snubfighters. They were used in the Kun war and probably before. Sabers are always supposed to be rare, as a jedi only weapon. I don't think they're that new. Blasters are around, but not as good accuracy I think. The style looks very different (read the tales of...comics). Double bladed should be in (Kun used one and I don't know about anyone else), but alot harder to find and use. Alot. More than alot.

I completely agree that the game does not make sense on many levels. I am not debating that one bit. But we aren't debating (and in turn, trying to resolve discrepencies) historical facts; this is fictional history. I doubt Lucas, or any original writer, EVER intended it to go this far. Hell... even Lucas himself was initially surprised at how well the films did. But these are games intended soley to entertain. If players are SO wrapped up in discrepencies that they can't enjoy the game... honestly, that is THEIR problem. The masses loved it to death, and thus, BioWare achieved enormous success. We all noticed that KOTOR, for being set 4000 years in the 'past', didn't seem to be THAT old. But most of us didn't get so bothered about it that we couldn't play the game and enjoy it. If 'YOU' did... then 'YOU' have issues that go way beyond the accuracy of KOTOR.

Consider a few things.

In the KOTOR-era, according to the comics, very few areas of the galaxy were explored. Hyperspace was a new, growing technology. And I thought in the comics, blaster pistols were replaced with laser pistols.

Since interstellar travel is so common, technology might hit a a plateua while trying to bring every new world up to the level of the Republic or Empire's technology.

This is mainly a general idea concerning anything that has to do with the generations before the movies, like this video game and further iterations, and any books, comics, TV shows, etc.

It's supposed to be 4000 years prior, but there's no change in technology. This is ridiculous, so I think at some point there should be some cataclysmic event which wipes out most of the civilizations in the galaxy. It's the only thing which could explain the fact that technology has not significantly advanced in 4000 years.

I would have expected the galaxy 4000 years before the Empire being much more lo-tech, i.e., hyperspace just invented and still slow, no blasters, no giant fleets, only a few species, stuff like that.

It's kind of silly calling it 4000 years before the OT but then everything is the same, just slightly altered.

ya i know the only low tech thing is the swords

"Your total disregard for the law and human decency both disgusts me and touches my heart. Bless you, sir."

"Soilent Green is people. This guy's just a homeless heroin junkie who got in a internet caf