Keep forgetting to look into this more, but a short while back I was doing some more gaming with the party that has this merc build in it, and I noticed something very curious - I had Street Sweeper equipped, in the fight against Manzaggo. Lots of Fampyrs who cast Minoletta's Piercing Sigil. So I did something I very rarely ever did - I did Clear Out with Street Sweeper instead of my blunderbuss+melee load out. Then I got very intrigued by the fact that all the Fampyr buffs got cleared more than expected!

After a couple more trials, it looks like Clear Out is very clearly two hit attempts per target with my 2h weapon. That means 2x damage and, with Street Sweeper, -20s off buffs instead of -10s. It's not a fluke - I've started using Clear Out even when I normally wouldn't (e.g. vs a single target that is already safely engaged by my tank) because 2x hits for 2x interrupts and -20s off buffs turns out to be extremely useful against late game tough foes.

Unfortunately, I've had literally zero time since then to look into this more. Does anyone know about this or have more insight into what's going on here? no mention of this strange behavior on wiki or in my weaksauce attempts at searching the forums.

I don't know if it's just 2h only, or if it also works with main hand melee or what not (when I do it with my blunderbuss set up, there is just wayyyyy too much info in the combat log to even notice that there's 2x hits, if it also doubles up there).

Edited by thelee
  • Like 1

I seem to recall @Boeroer noticing similar a while back in a thread about clear out. I'm almost certain the behavior you're noticing has something to do with the weapon having reach (I think maybe WotEP and Citzal's Lance have similar interactions). It could also be about positioning - sometimes you can get Carnage to proc on the primary target, too. 

I do know that the way it works is it rolls first for a primary attack on the main target (which must hit (maybe graze is ok)), then rolls for the AoE. BPM removed the double attack roll for the AoE and reduced the damage to compensate. Maybe @Elric Galad knows more about the way it's implemented. 

• Like 1

Yeah, clear out attack twice the main target. It is known (at least by me).

Clear out does the following :

1) weapon attack main target vs fortitude

2) attack all targets (including first) vs fortitude, only to push and prone with zero damages

3) if 2) is successful, all targets (including first) get a wepon attack vs fortitude

super weird

BPM :

- basically fused 2) and 3) which are now resolved by a single roll. 

- kept the main target attacked twice

- applied a -25% damage reduction for all attacks to compensate for the double attack.

It was the best I could do.

• Like 2

alright, finally had some time to test it and indeed only the main target gets the 2x cleansing effect/attack. still a neat little power boost to clear out

though indeed the extra roll just to push is a little confusing to make sense of - glad you shared that implementation detail before i went going through my combat log to test out the mechanics, would've been hella confusing.

Oopsy, I thought that was not so arcane knowledge. I knew this a long while now and even assumed I was one of the later persons to discover that. :)

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods