I'm returning to my first near play through.  I'm level 19 with Mirke doing Mechanics duty and Serafen detecting traps and he specs Stealth.  MC is a conjurer and priest of wael.  Sarafen has an item with +1 perception.  I was missing traps in Nemtok's lair it's a high level quest in the far Northwest of the map.   So traps were causing time consuming reloads and I ended up trying murk berries to get his perception to 18.  Looks like Ripple Sponge would suppress mirk berry but get it up to 19 which was needed to detect these traps without injuries.

For future reference I would like to know how to get 'detect traps' high enough in the game so that I won't have to worry about micro-manage stuff like ripple sponge?  Items or should I hire a mercenary that I create to have 20 perception??

I have a second question.  For some reason my 19th level party could barely kill Nemnok.  Was I supposed to somehow ruin his amulet without combat?  His armor values were not very high but it still said NO PENETRATION over and over and took all my parties spells and barely managed to win.  

Edited by claudius

3 hours ago, claudius said:

For future reference I would like to know how to get 'detect traps' high enough in the game so that I won't have to worry about micro-manage stuff like ripple sponge?  Items or should I hire a mercenary that I create to have 20 perception??

You can also use some resting bonus (Captain's Cabin at Dunnage for +3per) and Inspiration from equipment :

the Cog of Cohh give the aware insp to the wearer when an ally kill someone (or something, like a barel) and can be prolonged out of fight.

Certain Mutiny from Squid Grasp can also work, as long one of your character is charmed (but it is tedious to get)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, claudius said:

I have a second question.  For some reason my 19th level party could barely kill Nemnok.  Was I supposed to somehow ruin his amulet without combat?  His armor values were not very high but it still said NO PENETRATION over and over and took all my parties spells and barely managed to win.  

You can also stack equipment which as + PER - a few helmets have it.  https://pillarsofeternity.fandom.com/wiki/Pillars_of_Eternity_II:_Deadfire_headgear and some rings have it too. That is one way to  get sky high PER. As for the PEN issue with Nemnok, change the combat log as you probably underpenetrate . Hot Razor Skewers are a good active bons for + PEN ,  and so are some cipher skills, weapon modals (Sabre and others). One of the best -Armor skills is the chanters PL 1./3  invocation . Check the abilities throuroughly for your party, and you will find there are some -AR skills. Also, remembering flanking the enemy is a free -1 AR, and this armor provides -1 AR to nearby enemies!  

• Like 1

For the penetration what seemed weird to me was that the armor numbers for Nemnok didn't seem very high.  And I had a cipher (Sarafen) who could reduce armor by 2 and give to himself with a renewable resource.  I think Nemnok might have been regenerating health too??  I didn't know about flanking affect on armor, mjo !  I'll look for a helm with +2 perception on your list you linked.  Sarafen is wearing a +1 helm currently.  Edit: the highest I found in list was +2 from a drop in SSS expansion.  Is currently wearing Horns of the Bleak Mother for +1 perception

Edited by claudius

• 4 weeks later...

I'd really recommend you have at least one character with maxed perception in general. Since NPC perception is not so great, I generally max PER for the MC. Would definitely max PER on a conjurer/wael MC. Also Effigy's Resentment: Sagani gives +1 PER, and is probably the best choice for non-tank builds. Can also use Cauldron Brew at Outcast's Respite for +1 PER, and alchemic guile is +2 PER, which while not permanent can be done for free and repeatedly. Savage cunning from Overgrowth quest (galawain's boon) gives +1 PER as well. Also prostitute bonuses from Aenalys (+2) or Konstanten (+1). If you REALLY need more PER can waste a rest in Dunnage King's Coffin (+3 PER).

Short of all that yeah just take drugs and wear gear. 

Gear: Torc of the Falcon's Eyes (+2 amulet)
Ajamuut's Stalking Cloak (+1 cloak)
Blackblade's Hood / Horns of the Bleak Mother / Blackened Plate Helm / Cowl of Piercing Gaze / Serpent Crown (+1PER headgear)
Maw of Ingimyrk (SSS item, +2 PER headgear)
Kuaru's Ring (+1 PER ring)
Various pets (+1PER)

If you have the best of these items plus svef or ripple sponge that's +10 PER, before even going into the permanent bonuses, so even meh-PER chars should be able to detect everything. 

As for nemnok could be a number of reasons not penetrating. Lot of spells tend to have poor penetration which could be an issue, depending on your tactics. I don't recall his armor values and they aren't on the wiki unfortunately. Generally just check the combat log and adjust equipment, food, etc. as necessary. Can also debuff his armor with stuff like phantom foes or physically flanking, body attunement, expose vulnerabilities etc., though you only get one armor debuff plus flanked, so generally you can maximally debuff by 3 (4 with blackened plate). IIRC...

I'd also keep in mind another reason for high PER and buffing accuracy in general is so you can hit/crit things. Your grazes and hits may or may not penetrate high level enemies, but your crits basically will always penetrate due to getting +50% PEN, in addition to the bonus damage. So even if your PEN sucks if your accuracy is buffed enough you can kill things.

Edited by Shai Hulud

On 10/9/2023 at 12:05 AM, Shai Hulud said:

As for nemnok could be a number of reasons not penetrating. Lot of spells tend to have poor penetration which could be an issue, depending on your tactics. I don't recall his armor values and they aren't on the wiki unfortunately.

Pretty late response to OP, but Nemnok has legitimately high defenses. I recall for my Ultimate run using spiritual weapons at legendary with skaen (so, legendary stiletto and club) and underpenetrating significantly, possibly max.

Nemnok is supposed to be tough fight. For goodness sake, the imp has a spell rotation that gives him infinite uses of meteor swarm!