Hello!

I guess you knew that when you use the Dire Talon (sabre) and enchant it with Wurm Call you will have a 20% chance on crit to summon 3 wurms?

Did you also know that if those wurms die they will leave a body hat only disappears after combat ends - unlike the summons that you gain from your abilities (that includes summons from items that give you an active summoning ability like a Whale of a Wand's Fantastic Friends - they will disappear on being killed and leave no body)? I surely didn't. 

But those wurms' bodies will stay. And wurms are beats... 🐤
That means that you can consume the body with Flesh Communion.
All Corpse Eaters:
oh-yeah-yello.gif?dl=1

This can help your Corpse Eater to use their Flesh Communion in every fight - you "only" need to crit often enough and then get a wurm killed. You can do so yourself by attacking it with the weapon itself (there's a chance that you crit and summon another bunch of wurms and so on - there's no hard cap on how many wurms can be on the screen) or by using some friendly-fire spell like Shadowflame or whatever. 

If you crit a lot (hello Swift Flurry/HBD) you can summon a lot of wurms - and some might end up dead even without your interference because they are just weak. The bodies will be there until combat ends. So nothing speaks against piling up some wurm bodies for later in the fight. ;)
Of course this doesn't have to be done by one and the same character. You just need somebody in the party who will crit a lot with Dire Talon in order to prepare a rather monothematic Corpse Eater buffet.

I then also tried it with Hel Beckoning (summon Hel Imp on killing spirit) - and this also leaves the body of the imp when he gets killed. But alas: it doesn't work for Flesh Communion. I forgot that Imps are not wilders - they are primordials. And since Flesh Communion only works in kith, wilder and beasts... 😢

Off to Essence Interrupter you say? Right!
It works, too: If you crit and then kill any enemy and let's say a Xaurip gets summoned (and then killed) - you can consume its body. Same with Ogre Pirates. Unfortunately there's several summons with Essence Interrupter that are neither wilder nor beast (oozes, guls etc.) - so it's not very reliable. Also some of the summons take some time to kill compared to the very weak wurms that Dire Talon gives you. And some summons don't leave a body when killed - like the Boars wouldn't do that for me for example. But still... it can work. 

I didn't find another suitable item for this interaction - maybe you know one.

Anyway - with this you can make the Corpse Eater better in long fights that usually don't have "food" for him. Bringing your own targets for deliverering crits will make it easier (for example Many Lives Skeletons). Don't know yet if it's worth it though - or if it's too fiddly. We'll see... 

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Using Wahai Poraga on the Corpse Eater works quite well if another character provides the wurms (I used a Berserker/Helwalker in the test). Send the wurms into the AoE of Wahai Poraga. While the Corpse Eater can still attack actual enemies the friendly fire AoE wll make sure he will kill some nearby wurms soon enough.

This is also good because it not only leaves bodies for the Corpse Eater to consume but also triggers Blood Thirst and so on. Wahai Poraga is also an excellent weapon for Swift Flurry...

My Berserker could also help to kill wurms with his confused Carnage - which then helped with his Changeling's Mantle (Primal Carnage) - giving him action speed when he hit those wurms with this friendly fire Carnage.

• Like 1

Just out of curiosity, if you wield Dire Talon, does any crit proc the 20% wurm summon chance, or only crits with Dire Talon itself. If the former was the case it would be pretty crazy in the hands of a corpse eater/skald or corpse eater/druid.

I didn't test that specifically tbh. I only tried to maximize crits with the weapon itself.

But iirc Dire Talon was not on the list of weapon which get triggered universally which @Constentin Lévinecomposed. 

But I can try later. I have a bit of free time today. :) 

Edit: since an Essential/Substancial Phantom uses an exact copy of your weapon a way to produce more Wurms might be to use a Wizard/sth. with the Dire Talon and summon said Phantom near a weak enemy. Maybe... don't know if it's worth it and warrants the summoning time. 

A Monk/Ranger with Swift Flurry and Mohara Tanga in the offhand + Dire Talon in the main hand produces a lot of Wurms in a given time though. ;)

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, dgray62 said:

Just out of curiosity, if you wield Dire Talon, does any crit proc the 20% wurm summon chance, or only crits with Dire Talon itself. If the former was the case it would be pretty crazy in the hands of a corpse eater/skald or corpse eater/druid.

Tested this now - it only works with crits from the sabre itself. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...