Warhammer 40k 10th edition core rules are now free....

Gorth

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/06/02/download-the-new-warhammer-40000-rules-for-free-right-here/

Didn't know where else to put it as it isn't really a "video game" ;)

• Thanks 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/06/09/download-free-space-marines-index-cards-and-defend-the-imperium-from-annihilation/

Space marines (non chapter specific rules)

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/06/08/download-free-tyranid-index-cards-and-devour-the-galaxy-whole/

Tyranids

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/06/12/free-space-marines-index-cards-dark-angels-blood-angels-space-wolves-black-templars-and-deathwatch/

Dark Angels, Blood Angels, Space Wolves, Death Watch and Black Templars

(free downloads)

Edit: Games Workshop added various Chaos factions as free downloads...

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/06/13/free-chaos-index-cards-let-the-galaxy-burn-with-rules-for-six-factions/

Generic Chaos Marines, Thousand Sons, Death Guard, World Eaters, Chaos Demons & Chaos Knights

Seems like Fulgrim's lot is conspicuously absent? Emperors Children turning out to be slackers 😛

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

30 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

Ive never even played the game but for some reason I downloaded all those manuals. :lol:

I recognize that brand of ocd (I have it too) 😂

More free downloads, rules for various Imperial forces:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/06/14/free-imperium-index-cards-reclaim-the-galaxy-with-humanitys-finest/

Grey Knights, Astra Militarum (which old grognards like me remember as The Imperial Guard), Adeptus Sororitas (aka "The Sisters of Battle"), Adeptus Custodes (aka The Emperors personal bodyguard), Imperial Knights & Imperial Agents (which looks like an amalgam of Adeptus Assassinorum and the various releases for Kill Team, i.e. Rogue Traders, Navy Breachers, Adeptus Arbites squads etc.)

20 hours ago, Gorth said:

I recognize that brand of ocd (I have it too) 😂

More free downloads, rules for various Imperial forces:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/06/14/free-imperium-index-cards-reclaim-the-galaxy-with-humanitys-finest/

Grey Knights, Astra Militarum (which old grognards like me remember as The Imperial Guard), Adeptus Sororitas (aka "The Sisters of Battle"), Adeptus Custodes (aka The Emperors personal bodyguard), Imperial Knights & Imperial Agents (which looks like an amalgam of Adeptus Assassinorum and the various releases for Kill Team, i.e. Rogue Traders, Navy Breachers, Adeptus Arbites squads etc.)

I've not been in the game as long as you, but haven't the Imperial Guard always been Astra Militarum in the lore after Emps kicked the bucket?

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

15 minutes ago, Azdeus said:

I've not been in the game as long as you, but haven't the Imperial Guard always been Astra Militarum in the lore after Emps kicked the bucket?

I'm not going to scan the pages (they didn't have their own "Codex") from the original Rogue Trader, but they were called Imperial Guard back then. The only models available (when they became available) were from the world of Armageddon (where the Necromunda spin off game takes place).

But I have the various rule books covering 1995-2008, so at least from the start of WH40k and until 2008 they were "The Imperial Guard" and the troops known as "Guardsmen" :)

ull0oea.jpg

Show off! 😄

I was actually curious about what they are called in the early lore texts rather than on the cover, such as the Adeptus Astartes and so on.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

2 minutes ago, Azdeus said:

Show off! 😄

I was actually curious about what they are called in the early lore texts rather than on the cover, such as the Adeptus Astartes and so on.

They were just referred to by their regimental names, like the 602nd Armageddon etc.

Edit: But if non-specific, they were "The Guard". Things like abhumans Ogryns, Ratlings, Beastmen (yes, they had beastmen in the early versions, trying to repent and absolve themselves of the crime of being born), commissars etc. were all a thing almost from the beginning. Rules were a bit more loose, much was randomised (including stats and gear), so you could have a Lieutenant with better stats and abilities than his colonel 😁

... or assault Ratlings with jump packs (and leadership skill 5 and will always flee from combat)

• Haha 1

I might get it mixed up with Departmento Ministorum, but Astra Militarum really pokes at my memory about something. I've consumed way too much content to place it though, the only thing I've never really read are the codices 😄

16 minutes ago, Azdeus said:

I might get it mixed up with Departmento Ministorum, but Astra Militarum really pokes at my memory about something. I've consumed way too much content to place it though, the only thing I've never really read are the codices 😄

Hehe... lots of organisations, like the Adeptus Astra Telepathicus (Astropaths), the Navis Nobilte (Navigators), Adeptus... just about everything else: Titanicus, Mechanicus, Astronimica, Assassinrum, Sororitas (nuns with guns), Astartes (space marines), Arbites, Custodes, Ministorum (the church), Administratum (the pencil pushers and accountants) etc. An ingame name for just about every occasion.

Edit: Departmento Munitorum, the logistics and supply chain branch keeping the Emperors armies going. They provide bullets, Adeptus Ministorum provides prayers 😎

Dammit, don't know why that slipped in, brainfart. I was even reading the text that said Munitorum...

Aha!

image.png.db1848ae6d5337a39b258ef99bcc7f7f.png

From Dark Heresy 2nd edition.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Azdeus said:

Dammit, don't know why that slipped in, brainfart. I was even reading the text that said Munitorum...

Aha!

image.png.db1848ae6d5337a39b258ef99bcc7f7f.png

From Dark Heresy 2nd edition.

Which makes sense... that was released in 2014 (and my newest guard book was from 2009) 👍

Edit: Which means, just guessing, it was introduced somewhere between 2009 and 2014 as a new name 😁

• Like 1

My google-fu is pretty weak, but I've seen refrences from before that, though I don't know how reliable that stuff is because I don't know how to verify the date that google tells me.

Edit; I'm fairly certain I've seen it mentioned before, since I've got Astra Militarum in my pen and paper notes from ~2010. But I don't know if that is because we might have heard it in a novel or such.

Edited by Azdeus
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Azdeus said:

My google-fu is pretty weak, but I've seen refrences from before that, though I don't know how reliable that stuff is because I don't know how to verify the date that google tells me.

Edit; I'm fairly certain I've seen it mentioned before, since I've got Astra Militarum in my pen and paper notes from ~2010. But I don't know if that is because we might have heard it in a novel or such.

As said, my "knowledge" (official rulebooks) ends at 2009. It's entirely possible that you have a publication from 2010 (or even 2009 or thereabouts) with the new name 🙂

Yeah, I got a couple of hits from around 2007, but, hard to verify it. I think I've heard it mentioned in some Horus Heresy novel aswell, but I don't have a searchable copy, besides the Heresy series spans a few years.

• Like 1

Next group of free downloads from Games Workshop - the filthy Xenos...

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/06/15/free-xenos-index-cards-the-battle-for-the-galaxy-rages-on-all-sides/

T'au (some mecha loving race), Aeldari (used to be Eldar), Drukhari (used to be Dark Eldar), Necrons (iused to be living beings... sort of), Genestealers (ends up eating all living beings), Orks (opportunistic killers and eaters, preferably the food puts up a good fight first), Leagues of Votann (used to Squats)

And the last bit... datasheets with individual unit capabilities are all nice and good, so here is the download for the army composition. Unit point values, number of units allowed etc.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/06/16/get-all-of-your-points-for-free-with-the-first-munitorum-field-manual-of-new40k/

Munitorum Field Manual has the army composition for all released factions so far and Rules Commentary is effectively a FAQ

Free 40k Combat Patrol rules for download... I should probably edit all these links into my first post 🤔

For smaller scaled combat (and because GW wants to sell their combat patrol boxes to you)

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/06/20/free-combat-patrol-rule-downloads-let-you-fight-fast-balanced-skirmishes-in-the-new40k/

Now also for free on your phone (Android and iPhone)

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/06/21/download-the-all-new-warhammer-40000-app-for-free/

Knowing GW, I doubt they are doing it to be nice, probably to sell more miniatures...

Looked at the points, and together with Wargear not costing anything it seems like GW is trying to sneak 8th/9th edition Power Levels on us instead.

Craftworld Eldar have apparently turned out to be so broken that they're being banned from some store tournaments. That said the big problem units (Support Weapon Platforms and War Walkers) are ones I don't actually have in my army.

“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling