Haven't touched this game in forever (prefer the first), but wanna try to give it another shot. However, before I can begin: what's the consensus on the best history/legacy options? I don't wanna impair my ability to enjoy this game because I missed something because of it.

Yes, it will impair my ability to enjoy the game if I find out later I lost something I would have wanted to have otherwise. 

probably not what you're looking for, but "everything bad" i find to be really hilariously fun challenge. everyone's dead, you get cursed by basically every god, etc. 

more seriously, the non-"everything bad" pre-built legacies generally get you everything in the game, whereas if you import or do your own custom history you could easily choose to resolve quests and story points in ways where you deny yourself unique stuff. the one exception that i can think of is the Devil of Caroc plate, only some of the pre-built histories will get you that, and i'm only pretty certain of "everything good" option being one of them. (there may be another)

edit: you won't be able to get "everything" using a pre-built history, because the berath option (fair and balanced) is the only way to get the unique consumable "berath's bell", but also impossible to get devil of caroc breastplate. similarly i don't think there's any other way to get hylea's consumable without benefiting her in the legacy, which is mutually exclusive with berath's bell. can be important for e.g. a no-rest or low-rest run where the hylea's consumable is very very good.

Edited by thelee

As I recall my custom minmax history involves following Hylea, because I'm benevolent like that. It also involves getting the bonuses from Heritage Hill and the Skaen blood pool, because I'm benevolent like that. And then whatever will let me get the breastplate and put a hat on Aloth's head for me to borrow.

My Deadfire mods
Out With The Good: The mod for tidying up your Deadfire combat tooltip.
Waukeen's Berth: Make all your basic purchases at Queen's Berth.
Carrying Voice: Wider chanter invocations.
Nemnok's Congregation: Lets all priests express their true faith.

Deadfire skill check catalogue right here!

For a normal party run I consider the Devil of Caroc Breastplate to be way, way more important than any temporary consumable effect - and if you like to play a generally benevolent person - like most players do - you can't go wrong with the benevolent pre-set background imo.

PS: DoC Breastplate + Helm of the Falcon --> one of the best looking combos imo - and also one of the best combos in terms of protection vs. attack speed (with a two handed weapon).

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

If you make a custom history the first options for each choice are usually the best (or at least as good as the others). 

Important (possible) exceptions, and the only things you really need to check

1) which God you pledged - hylea is the best for nearly every case because she's the "good" option but more important you get hyleas bounty which is incredibly useful food for most of the game when your skills are lacking, and for many builds remains the best food throughout the game. If you're doing a no rest run which id recommend then hyleas bounty is the best food

2) whether to sacrifice a companion and who. There is no reason not to besides role-playing. The wiki has a list of bonuses under status affects (effigys resentment). Best one varies by build but Sagani is most useful for the largest number of builds

3) make sure devil of caroc spared harmke. Its the best armor you can get for about half the game, and for some builds may remain the best 

4) aloths starting equipment depends on whether he was made GM of leaden key. If no he has keybreaker scepter, if yes then thaos headdress. The headdress is better unless you need an okay scepter early

5) whether eder remained faithful to eothas determines if he starts with night market amulet (+1 religion +1 stealth) or mayor of dyrwood for dyrwoodan mayor amulet (+1 bluff +1 diplomacy). Neither is terribly useful but the +1 bluff is harder to find for stat checks than religion or stealth, but stealth is very useful also

6) whether pallegina did her duty and screwed over the dyrwood. She gets better armor if she did her duty but it isn't amazing so not that important. 

Can't think of anything else of significance 

Edited by Shai Hulud
minor correction
  • Like 3

The Sky Dragon Wurm is one of the better pets in the early game but is only available depending on your actions to the Sky Dragon. In the unmodded game this is bugged out (search online for details, Nexus has a mod that fixes this iirc) so the history that you have to choose for it doesn't really make sense.

Make sure to bury Wael's scroll in the first game or he will troll you in Deadfire in a very unpleasant way.

9 hours ago, NotDumbEnough said:

The Sky Dragon Wurm is one of the better pets in the early game but is only available depending on your actions to the Sky Dragon. In the unmodded game this is bugged out (search online for details, Nexus has a mod that fixes this iirc) so the history that you have to choose for it doesn't really make sense.

Make sure to bury Wael's scroll in the first game or he will troll you in Deadfire in a very unpleasant way.

Right i forgot to mention this one. Usually don't use the sky dragon wurm but agree its a great pet for some parties (range heavy).

If you want the sky dragon wurm you need to have not killed the sky dragon. I usually choose the option that I scared the dragon away.

I have gotten the wurm lot of times in unmodded game, dunno what this bug is?

On 2/6/2023 at 11:42 AM, NotDumbEnough said:

you can avoid this outcome with some carefully selected dialogue choices.