Anime and Manga - It's time for you to finish what you've started and watch JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders

InsaneCommander

58 minutes ago, PK htiw klaw eriF said:

Henry Kissinger?

Just how bad can a Harlem Globetrotter really be? :banana:

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

On 7/14/2023 at 3:29 PM, Bartimaeus said:

Just how bad can a Harlem Globetrotter really be? :banana:

Death toll in the millions bad. And Kissinger isn't even the worst Globetrotter.

Anyways Record of Ragnarok. I didn't watch it, but the idea of anime-ified historical figures vs anime-ified deities seems like it could be funny if played for laughs. Sadly it's a cgi heavy tournament arc show and what I have seen makes me think not watching it is a good idea.

Speaking of good ideas.....I have none. Any recs for weird **** like Ergo Proxy that's befuddling and doesn't make me feel embarrassed.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

1 hour ago, PK htiw klaw eriF said:

Anyways Record of Ragnarok. I didn't watch it, but the idea of anime-ified historical figures vs anime-ified deities seems like it could be funny if played for laughs. Sadly it's a cgi heavy tournament arc show and what I have seen makes me think not watching it is a good idea.

The manga was interesting to skim through in a over the top, train wreck sort of way, but at some point even that got boring.

Speaking of good ideas.....I have none. Any recs for weird **** like Ergo Proxy that's befuddling and doesn't make me feel embarrassed.

Made in the Abyss, but it sadly fails on the embarrassed point due to the art style and some other things.

Code Geass if you haven't watched it already.

Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso, but it's very heavy and probably doesn't have anything to do with what you asked.

Hal I guess could fall in to the category, but it's more of a drama.

Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryokou. @majestic liked it. :)

Psycho-Pass is probably the closest, but it's not as good.

Maybe give the Ghost in a Shell movies a rewatch?

Edited by Sarex
  • Thanks 1

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

Death toll in the millions bad. And Kissinger isn't even the worst Globetrotter.

I know that Whoopi Goldberg has had some controversial opinions in recent years, but I don't know that she's quite Kissinger levels of bad.

58 minutes ago, Sarex said:

Girls' Last Tour. @majestic liked it.

I kind of liked it too. There were some issues. I don't really think it would be KP's thing, though.

• Thanks 1
  • Gasp! 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

1 hour ago, Sarex said:

The manga was interesting to skim through in a over the top, train wreck sort of way, but at some point even that got boring.

Made in the Abyss, but it sadly fails on the embarrassed point due to the art style and some other things.

Code Geass if you haven't watched it already.

Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso, but it's very heavy and probably doesn't have anything to do with what you asked.

Hal I guess could fall in to the category, but it's more of a drama.

Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryokou. @majestic liked it. :)

Psycho-Pass is probably the closest, but it's not as good.

Maybe give the Ghost in a Shell movies a rewatch?

Ghost in the Shell just dropped on Criterion, that sounds nice. Maybe I'll give the tank girls a shot. At this point as long as it isn't a c-tier shonen or light novel adaptation* I'd be willing to take a look.

*Unless we're talking about I'm The Villainess So I'm Taming The Catgirl From The Strongest Race For My Harem In The Labyrinth In Another World After I Reincarnated As A Slime. That **** is fire.

28 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

I know that Whoopi Goldberg has had some controversial opinions in recent years, but I don't know that she's quite Kissinger levels of bad.

Even worse than Whoopi Goldberg. We're taking about running mkultra and operation paperclip at the same time bad.

30 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

I kind of liked it too

NAAAAAAANIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!?!?!

I can tell you only kind of liked it because you went from Hepburn to English tho.

• Gasp! 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

33 minutes ago, PK htiw klaw eriF said:

I can tell you only kind of liked it because you went from Hepburn to English tho.

Eh, I usually only stick with the Hepburn title if it's the title it's more known by even for English audiences. You don't see me ever calling Perfect Blue "Pafekuto Buru", Whisper of the Heart "Mimi wo Sumaseba", or Sailor Moon "Bishoujo Senshi". I edited the quoted text because I figured that name was more useful.

33 minutes ago, PK htiw klaw eriF said:

Even worse than Whoopi Goldberg. We're taking about running mkultra and operation paperclip at the same time bad.

I don't much like comedians myself, but I wouldn't call Bob Hope's act that bad.

59 minutes ago, Sarex said:

High praise! 😛

I guess. It's the dual-edged blade of modern anime: you're very occasionally able to get some odder and more interesting ideas produced that would've probably strayed too far from what was considered "safe" to make way back in the day, but then they shove in annoying crap and do little things wrong all the time because it's a modern anime and it drives me up a wall.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

I guess. It's the dual-edged blade of modern anime: you're very occasionally able to get some odder and more interesting ideas produced that would've probably strayed too far from what was considered "safe" to make way back in the day, but then they shove in annoying crap and do little things wrong all the time because it's a modern anime and it drives me up a wall.

Surrender to your inner weeb and accept the tropes. :grin:

• Hmmm 1

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

11 minutes ago, Sarex said:

Surrender to your inner weeb and accept the tropes. :grin:

I don't think the actual weebs would have me even if I were so inclined: from my interactions with a number of them online, it seems to usually be that I am repulsed by them, and they by me. It's a marvellous and perfectly natural symbiosis, I think.

The Night Is Short, Walk on Girl (2017).

7kmsC5N0m9aNSN2K4TSt65aseLU.jpg

I've had this on my watchlist for a number of years. It was an odd and interesting film, but they shoved too much annoying crap in and did little things wrong because it's a modern anime and it drove me up a wall. Yes, I suppose it was a predictable result.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Gasp! 1

7 hours ago, PK htiw klaw eriF said:

*Unless we're talking about I'm The Villainess So I'm Taming The Catgirl From The Strongest Race For My Harem In The Labyrinth In Another World After I Reincarnated As A Slime. That **** is fire.

Just wait for the crossover with I'm a Handyman Trapped in a Dating Sim as a Vending Machine, Now I Pick Up Girls in the Dungeon until I can Save 80,000 Gold for my Campfire Cooking after Getting Fired from the Demon King’s Army Because the Masterful Cat is Depressed.

• Gasp! 1

sign.jpg

7 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

I don't much like comedians myself, but I wouldn't call Bob Hope's act that bad.

Look when you've got the pope on a roster he's always going to take most evil simply by inheriting the mantle.

10 minutes ago, InsaneCommander said:

Just wait for the crossover with I'm a Handyman Trapped in a Dating Sim as a Vending Machine, Now I Pick Up Girls in the Dungeon until I can Save 80,000 Gold for my Campfire Cooking after Getting Fired from the Demon King’s Army Because the Masterful Cat is Depressed.

I can't wait for that. It needs to happen.

• Haha 1
  • Gasp! 1

Tried watching the first episode of Atelier Ryza. After a few minutes I was feeling sleepy and I checked how much time was left. Then I found out the episode is 48 minutes long and I dropped it for good. The comment section is hilarious. I guess that is the time the protagonist needs to put her shorts and boots on.

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47ejap1m3s1dnbgbc78z

Edit: Atelier Ryza Producer Surprised That Fans Find Lead Character So Sexy

Edited by InsaneCommander
  • Confused 2

sign.jpg

4 hours ago, InsaneCommander said:

Our approach was to make a cute character without any sexual innuendo whatsoever. Everyone sort of looks at her as sort of being sexy, and that’s completely not how we look at her, so that really caught us by surprise.

3max.jpg

Someone's out of touch with reality. Or lying. Perhaps both...

• Like 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

I feel like her outfit would be unbearably annoying to wear - between the parts that are too tight, the parts that are too loose, and all the different random pieces of garbage dangling and bouncing every time she so much as breathes, it would be absolute sensory overload while also impeding mobility and catching on things. I guess all that that really goes for a lot of current """cute""" anime clothing design, but she in particular seems to be a masterclass in disastrous design.

But I suppose where I see an incredibly tasteless concoction of uncomfortable, too much, and off-putting, other people apparently see sexy. That's the way she goes.

Edited by Bartimaeus

On 7/18/2023 at 3:21 AM, majestic said:

Someone's out of touch with reality. Or lying. Perhaps both...

Time to play devil's otaku's advocate. Knowing nothing else about the game or anime, that outfit is pretty tame by a lot of Shonen or videogame standards. The man could very well be so out of touch with reality that he thinks anything less than I dunno.....Ivy from Soul Calibur is modestly dressed and not sexual.

Too many Japanese games make me feel embarrassed to be playing.

when is AI gonna make me new hand drawn characters in 80s/90s styles

• Like 1

what the hell is that abomination

alright, new rule: AI isn't allowed to touch anything I like or care about ever again

(though is that actually even AI, or just some random fan art?)

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, InsaneCommander said:

Even the anime mod for Pathfinder looks tamer than Atelier Ryza.

I don't like AI art, it's too uncanny valley.

• 2 weeks later...