Anime and Manga - It's time for you to finish what you've started and watch JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders

InsaneCommander

3 minutes ago, majestic said:

You should try 魔法少女まどか☆マギカ then.

giphy.gif

Madoka is family friendly, you naughty :biggrin:

• Haha 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

30 minutes ago, majestic said:

You should try 魔法少女まどか☆マギカ then.

giphy.gif

I might aswell, Ayakashi Triangle is on another pause until june or something like that, and I'm running out of entertainment

• Like 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Re:Zero - Starting Life in Another World 7-11

Not sure why they completely forgot about the crazy lady from the first episodes. Or the little girl for that matter. Anyway, the characters are complex and may behave in completely different ways depending on the protagonist's actions. It's getting more interesting, but there is some gore and suffering.

Spoiler

I like how the story can be entirely different each time he uses his ability. And it seems everyone can go wild in the right circunstances.

• Like 1

sign.jpg

1 minute ago, Sarex said:

@PK htiw klaw eriF@InsaneCommander The rest of the episodes for the "Uncle from another world" are out.

I've already seen them.

Uncle DIO turns into a dinosaur, which further supports that Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous is an Isekai.

• Haha 3

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

5 minutes ago, Sarex said:

Did I miss the post, or were the episodes not that good?

I forgot to post about them tbh, they were pretty good. It's been stormy weather in Houston so I've been playing around with a PF2e Tabletop game and watching strange films/shows. In addition to vouching for Uncle DIO I can report that David Lynch is indeed the man and that Champion (the class that kinda replaced Paladin in 2e, of which Paladin is a subclass) are incredible tanks.

• Gasp! 1

16 minutes ago, Sarex said:

NANI!?!

Oh yeah

https://2e.aonprd.com/Classes.aspx?ID=4

The class is revamped to sort of be thematically a mix between the Paladin and Warpriest from 1e. You're a warrior empowered by a diety but it opens it up beyond just Lawful Good. Mechanically it has the highest potential AC (which is harder to stack and more useful in 2e) and the good guys get a self-heal.

Basically your Cause (the subclass) is tied to your alignment. It comes with specific codes of conduct and determines your Champion Reaction. Paladins are what you expect and Seelah is still the Iconic. Evil Champions are restricted because their codes of conduct implore them to be extremely ****ty, like Tyrants being compelled to bring some "freedom" to democratic governments.

• Hmmm 1

21 minutes ago, PK htiw klaw eriF said:

Oh yeah

https://2e.aonprd.com/Classes.aspx?ID=4

The class is revamped to sort of be thematically a mix between the Paladin and Warpriest from 1e. You're a warrior empowered by a diety but it opens it up beyond just Lawful Good. Mechanically it has the highest potential AC (which is harder to stack and more useful in 2e) and the good guys get a self-heal.

Basically your Cause (the subclass) is tied to your alignment. It comes with specific codes of conduct and determines your Champion Reaction. Paladins are what you expect and Seelah is still the Iconic. Evil Champions are restricted because their codes of conduct implore them to be extremely ****ty, like Tyrants being compelled to bring some "freedom" to democratic governments.

Don't know how to fell about that... Tbh I feel kind of personally attacked that they moved it in to a sub class. It's like they are saying that Paladins were not an interesting class on its own... Which is ridiculous, right?

I think I will make a twitter account and go and flame Paizo.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

27 minutes ago, Sarex said:

Don't know how to fell about that... Tbh I feel kind of personally attacked that they moved it in to a sub class. It's like they are saying that Paladins were not an interesting class on its own... Which is ridiculous, right?

I think they were trying to expand Paladin to be more alignment neutral, I believe Champion was originally intended to be the subclass. iirc some people got mad at the idea of Paladins who weren't LG so they ended up calling the class Champion and Paladin became the LG subclass.

In practice I think Good Champions will be very familiar to Paladin players and Evil Champions will be familiar to Blackguard or Antipaladin players. There's obvious changes because of the larger changes of 2e, but the class remains the go to for Holy Knights or Unholy Knights and performs really well as a melee tank who can take hits and avoid spells better than most (if not all) other martial classes.

• Thanks 1

I think that approach is actually a lot more respectful of the idea of a paladin than what 3E did. I found it difficult to conceptually reconcile the "paladin" with it being perfectly okay to be murderously evil and the like - what does the term "paladin" even mean at that point? Rather than let "paladin" potentially mean the complete opposite of what everyone's idea of a paladin is, they decided to rename the class while then reserving the term for defenders of good, bringing it back to its classical meaning even if it's no longer the proper name of the class.

I mean, as much as paladins can be defenders of good, being lawful stupid with the equally stupid evil that results and all.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Gasp! 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

49 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

being lawful stupid with the equally stupid evil that results and all.

But that is the best part! Anyway games rarely push that idea anywhere meaningful, which is a shame.

• Gasp! 1

1 hour ago, Bartimaeus said:

what does the term "paladin" even mean at that point?

High ranking members of Charlemagne's court?

Yeah, yeah, I know where the exit is. :p *leaves*

Edited by majestic
  • Haha 1
  • Gasp! 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

17 minutes ago, majestic said:

A "champion" of their deity...?

When I am told "there are some paladins staying at the inn", my expectation is that these paladins aren't currently butchering everyone and burning the whole town down, which I did not have any guarantee of in 3E's usage of it. If the word "paladin" is stripped of the meaning that literally everyone knows it to mean (heroic warrior of some goodly-ish ethos), then you might as well throw away the term entirely. "Champion" is a pretty dumb-sounding name, but if it's simply a base stepping stone to some other more specific concept like a paladin, anti-paladin, blackguard et al., then it's fine.

35 minutes ago, Sarex said:

But that is the best part! Anyway games rarely push that idea anywhere meaningful, which is a shame.

I wonder if there's any overlap between the people who genuinely love and empathize with the idea of being a paladin and generally fascist morons. Can't really see why else the class would much appeal to anyone, but maybe I'm missing something.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1
  • Gasp! 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

21 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

When I am told "there are some paladins staying at the inn", my expectation is that these paladins aren't currently butchering everyone and burning the whole town down, which I did not have any guarantee of in 3E's usage of it. If the word "paladin" is stripped of the meaning that literally everyone knows it to mean (heroic warrior of some goodly-ish ethos), then you might as well throw away the term entirely. "Champion" is a pretty dumb-sounding name, but if it's simply a base stepping stone to some other more specific concept like a paladin, anti-paladin, blackguard et al., then it's fine.

Ah, you were quicker than my edit, thought of a better silly reply and edited it - just apparently not quickly enough. Damn. :p

• Haha 1
  • Gasp! 2

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

39 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

Can't really see why else the class would much appeal to anyone, but maybe I'm missing something.

You are not missing anything I think. It's just the original knight in shining armor concept, which looks good when you are a kid, but when you grow up you, hopefully, figure out that the world doesn't actually work like that. I mean how many people like the Jedi and they are, for all their talk of balance, basically paladins with a lightsaber.

I personally play them because the first game (first CRPG game to be exact) I played as kid was IWD2 and the premade party I chose (because of this banger picture) had a paladin (The Watcher) as the leader of the party. Later when I actually figured out how to play the game I got used to the all in one kit and liked playing it in later games.

Edited by Sarex
  • Like 1
  • Gasp! 1

@majestic you naughty :biggrin:

@Bartimaeus I thought 3e kept Paladins as LG? Do you mean 4e? I honestly don't remember 4e but I know in 5e you can in fact be an evil Paladin.

I think the fantasy of the D&D Paladon can have fascist appeal, as can be seen by the legions of dip****s obsessed with statues who love saying "DEUS VULT". But I don't think it's reductive to that interpretation and that fascism is notorious for adopting anything that is around in order to come to power, including trappings anathema to fantasy Paladins. I think more broadly the fantasy of the Paladin appeals to people who believe in being both honorable and orderly combined with benevolence....which can largely gel with most political alignments and many temperaments.

@Sarex My first game was as a Paladin as well, and I do return to the class but generally I try to play different classes.

One one hand I think that Fantasy cRPGs would benefit from having their Paladins (or analogous) bound to a code of conduct that signifies you being held to a higher standard. On the other hand, WotR has had many such cases of people failing as a Palladin because they didn't execute an orphan or something. So maybe it's just not something that can fit well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, PK htiw klaw eriF said:

On the other hand, WotR has had many such cases of people failing as a Palladin because they didn't execute an orphan or something.

Yeah... I could not make my self pick most of the choices that were lawful in WotR. I really don't know who shat in their cereal when they decided on those lawful dialogue options. I could not keep my PC in the LG part of the alignment pie.

6 minutes ago, PK htiw klaw eriF said:

generally I try to play different classes.

I would like to also, but I am so low energy for games these last couple of years that I have to make myself start playing a game to get in to it. Makes it kind of difficult to do a replay. Hopefully will get to that monk run of WotR.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Sarex said:

Yeah... I could not make my self pick most of the choices that were lawful in WotR. I really don't know who shat in their cereal when they decided on those lawful dialogue options. I could not keep my PC in the LG part of the alignment pie.

Lmao, I tracked all the [lawful] options in the prolouge and Act 1 and all but two were psychotic. I think when writing it they looked at what Regill would do for [lawful] options, because they all tend to be cruel (usually pointlessly so).

15 minutes ago, Sarex said:

I would like to also, but I am so low energy for games these last couple of years that I have to make myself start playing a game to get in to it. Makes it kind of difficult to do a replay. Hopefully will get to that monk run of WotR.

I've been buying very few games for a while and shooting for replayability.....but still struggle to find the time to actually play the damn games. If only AI could actually do the jobs instead of make uncanny valley photoshops.

Soon I will commit to being a Lich tho.

• Like 1

Isekai Ojisan 8-13

The new episodes didn’t disappoint. We learned what is the most powerful creature Ojisan ever saw, how to sort your inventory when you can’t skip a “cutscene” in real life and Alicia discovered the dark and sad past of Ojisan.

Spoiler

She sees him locked in a dark room in front of a black box, assuming it was some kind of prison but it was just him playing video games.

All this talk about Pathfinder reminds me it's time to resume my pt. I'm upgrading my computer a bit so it should run better now.

• Like 1
  • Gasp! 1

sign.jpg

Re:Zero - Starting Life in Another World 12-18

I could rewatch the throne room scene multiple times. If anyone here has watched this anime, you know what I’m talking about.

Spoiler

Is everyone in this anime a psychopath? Perhaps not Emilia.🤔

Rem: describes how they could live a long life together until her death as an old woman, surrounded by Subaru, their children and grandchildren.

Subaru: I love Emilia.

875943144103a4c7b567222735570aa3.png

• Like 1

sign.jpg

Re:Zero was the only JP novel I actually read, but at the time the translations were very slow. Somewhere along the line I just stopped. I don't remember when or why.

16 hours ago, Sarex said:

Re:Zero was the only JP novel I actually read, but at the time the translations were very slow. Somewhere along the line I just stopped. I don't remember when or why.

The anime is definitely not slow. Unless you count the wait after weekly cliffhangers. I'm binge watching it but I imagine it was terrible to wait for the next episode when they were released.

sign.jpg

Re:Zero - Starting Life in Another World 19-25

Ok, so not only the protagonist is not overpowered but the enemies are. Quite a different dynamic. However, I find it a bit exaggerated. If it was not for Subaru’s ability, this series would lose more characters than Game of Thrones.

Edited by InsaneCommander
  • Like 1

sign.jpg