Freedom of movement

I thought that's all the X-Box used?

I'll admit I don't use one.  I could've sworn it was a DVD Player in that thing though.

It has a dvd PLAYER, but i do not think it has teh cabailiteis to play DVD-ROMs as games seeing aas how u need to buy a special attachment in order to play them, and even so its primative at best.

Nevertheless KOTOR is better on Xbox, ive played it for both PC and Xbox and i must admit, while msot games ARE better on the PC, Xbox is the way to go with kotor. If you have one that is; no sense in runnign out and buying the Xbox just for KOTOR, but given the choice, i suggest teh Xbox.

I thought that's all the X-Box used?

I'll admit I don't use one.  I could've sworn it was a DVD Player in that thing though.

It has a dvd PLAYER, but i do not think it has teh cabailiteis to play DVD-ROMs as games seeing aas how u need to buy a special attachment in order to play them, and even so its primative at best.

Nevertheless KOTOR is better on Xbox, ive played it for both PC and Xbox and i must admit, while msot games ARE better on the PC, Xbox is the way to go with kotor. If you have one that is; no sense in runnign out and buying the Xbox just for KOTOR, but given the choice, i suggest teh Xbox.

I've played KOTOR on both systems as well. I still think it was better on the PC. But, there was still the console feel when I played on the PC which I think Bioware could have improved. I also think that the xbox could play a game that was made on DVD. If you buy the Trilogy boxed set you will see that it came with a special feature DVD that also has a demo of the new Battlefront game. It's on a DVD and you can play it using your regular game controller.

The XBox seems to be to blame for a lot of KOTOR's shortcomings, in terms of graphics and environment sizes.

Will Bill Gates' evil never end?  :D

Well, possibly yes, but i do not have a problem with enviorment sizes; they are just fine the way they are maybe a TAD small, but nothign to cry about. The game is not supposed to be a Massive RPG like FF8 where you can spend tens of hours just running around aimlessly.

As for graphix, well yes it is TECHINCALLY the Xbox's fault for the graphix being slightly less than outstanding. HOWEVER, it is important to remember that if the graphics were to be in the highest capabilites of the most modern graphics card and a gig of ram, well, most PC owners would simply not be able to play the game anyway seeing as many owners do not have the most advanced specifications.

THerefore, one could argue, XBOX is the happy median

Just to set the record straight, virtually all DVDs are "DVD-ROMS."

DVD stands for Digital Video Disc (at first), but since they are now used for more than videos the acronym has evolved into Digital Versatile Disc. These discs, like CDs, tend not to be writable, hence ROM (Read-Only Memory).

Soooooooo, unless you are dealing with DVD-RWs (Rewritables) or DVD-RAMs (sort of like RWs...similiar to a Hard Drive but you need a DVD-RAM drive to use it). I do not include DVD-Rs (Recordables) since after writing to them, they become a DVD-ROM (i.e. cannot change them).

Furthermore, any DVD player is able to read the information on a DVD-ROM drive. The catch is whether or not the hardware knows what the heck to do with it (the firmware and whatnot has to interpret the information). I suspect this is why the X-Box needs an update to play DVD movies (I believe PS2 needs one as well, but not sure). But I looked into it, and the XBOX media most definitely is DVD. Which makes sense, since they got KOTOR on one disc, and PC users got it on 3 CDs.

As for which is better to play on? If you have the computer, I'd recommend PC version (but I'm biased). Both games will likely be identical.

On a side note, I heard a rumor that the Valley of the Dark Lords on Korriban is different on the X-Box version? Is there any validity to that statement?

Don't forget that some of us don't want complete freedom of movement.

I'm getting a bit bored of running around everywhere I can see.

For those who like that there are games like MorrowWind out there.

And by the light of the moon

He prays for their beauty not doom

Sounds like Morrowind might be more to your liking.  Most projects have a focus, and for KoTOR they sacrificed enormous terrains for character and plot development.  In Morrowind, somewhat the reverse.  Until they make systems big enough, and give developers time enough, I don't think we'll really ever have a satisfactory marriage of the two.

Head on the nail.

Besides, I dont like wandering aimlessly over endlessly repetative landscapes only to stumble on the mandatory goblin with treasurechest. I play RPGs for the story and characters, you dont necessarily need huge landscapes for that.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

well i dont think it actually uses DVDs simply because u can not find the logo ANYWHERE on teh box, but it must not uses CD's becasue it takes 4 cds on the PC and just one on the Xbox.

Check here

Specifically:

I/O (Input / Output)

w-5x DVD-ROM

Type 9 DVD - 8.5 GB single sided

4x Proprietary USB Game Ports (12 Mbps)

Broadband Ethernet Connection (100 Mbps)

Proprietary Audio/Video Connector

DVDs seem to be double layered at that, with the 8.5 GB storage space.