Forbidden Fist build advice and suggestions (Non Community Patch version)

Hello everyone. I'm looking for help with a single class Forbidden Fist build for a full party POTD run. I am playing the game without the community patch so the Forbidden Fist ability is not keyed as a weapon attack in my game. Most of the FF information and builds I've been reading online assumes CP and/or BPM usage, so I could use some clarification on monk abilities for a FF in the vanilla game. My goal is to make the duration of Forbidden Curse lower than the attack and cooldown time of the Forbidden Fist ability so I can always keep spamming Forbidden Fist safely and create a net amount of wounds to use on Whispers of the Wind and other high level abilities. Thank you in advance for any answers or insights.

1. Since Forbidden Fist again isn't a weapon attack in the vanilla version of the game, would the extra attacks you normally get from Swift Flurry and Heartbeat Drumming not trigger when using Forbidden Fist? Would the action speed bonus from the Two Weapon Style passive or the burn lash from Turning Wheel even apply to Forbidden Fist in this instance?

2. What do you guys think is a decent attribute spread in order to help me achieve my intended goal of spamming Forbidden Fist without worrying about Forbidden Curse? I actually tried a previous FF build with dumped intellect and maxed resolve and had trouble maintaining that balance of getting Forbidden Curse to expire before Forbidden Fist was ready to attack again. The problem was I was maybe a few millisecond too fast, so I'm not opposed to lowering dexterity more or wearing heavy armor to counteract this. To that end, I might even drop Swift Flurry and Turning Wheel, especially if their effects don't end up applying to the Forbidden Fist ability. I think this time I would also like to keep intellect to at least 10 so I can have the base duration for buffs like Thunderous Blows, but I'm worried if even base level intellect is too much. It's so tricky because you can't respec attributes and you only gradually get access to more resolve bonus gear and other items that reduce hostile effect duration, so it's hard to tell if you've got the right combo of attributes in the beginning. The fact that Forbidden Curse duration also scales with power level adds another wrinkle to the problem.

3. What are some hostile effects that play well with the Forbidden Fist wound mechanic? I'm thinking of casting Tanglefoot from a druid and having my Forbidden Fist just deal with the dexterity debuff (which is another reason why I might avoid Swift Strikes/Swift Flurry). I'm also thinking about taking Dance of Death/Enduring Dance for more accuracy and wound generation, but I'm not sure if that's feasible for a frontline tank, even one with stacked resolve like I'm planning. On a similar vein, would using the Hylea's Talons gauntlets a) work with Forbidden Fist attacks since it's technically not a melee attack and b) cancel me out of Dance of Death with its self damage?

4. What are my weapon options here? Again I am planning to use the Forbidden Fist attack most of the time so I'm not sure if a weapon choice other than plain fists matters since I'll probably not end up doing much, if any, auto attacking. I was thinking of using Sun and Moon with Tuotilo's Palm because I might take Stunning Surge, and the extra attacks from the double hitting weapon and bashing shield might help me get more critical hits and refund the ability cost. Do the unarmed enchantments from Tuotilo's Palm affect the Forbidden Fist ability, however? I might also dual wield sabers as a backup weapon set so I can have alternative damage type when facing blunt immune enemies. I'm open suggestions if there's any hidden synergy I might be overlooking.

5 hours ago, tackthumb said:

4. What are my weapon options here?

Because of the gameplay you are planning, Quaterstaff with proficiency (+20 deflections vs melee, +50% recovery time with quaterstaff) can be a good option too. 

Also, with a druid in the party, the Lance of the Midwood Stag can grant +3 generic PL, for FF ability. But in this case, the curse duration grow also with PL (like prestige, nature godlike, and other generic PL) so that require an adustement for your resolve in function. 

The best optimisation should be to have a set like these one when you attack (with the IA) with FF ability, and change the set for WoW with more offensive weapon(s).

Hylea's Talon doesn't work with vanilla version of FF ability. Swift Flurry / Hbd also require a melee weapon crit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Constentin Lévine said:

Because of the gameplay you are planning, Quaterstaff with proficiency (+20 deflections vs melee, +50% recovery time with quaterstaff) can be a good option too. 

Also, with a druid in the party, the Lance of the Midwood Stag can grant +3 generic PL, for FF ability. But in this case, the curse duration grow also with PL (like prestige, nature godlike, and other generic PL) so that require an adustement for your resolve in function. 

The best optimisation should be to have a set like these one when you attack (with the IA) with FF ability, and change the set for WoW with more offensive weapon(s).

Hylea's Talon doesn't work with vanilla version of FF ability. Swift Flurry / Hbd also require a melee weapon crit.

Quarterstaff is an awesome suggestion. I like the idea of having the quarterstaff proficiency on without downsides. I'll eventually get the Streetsweeper quarterstaff so I can also have the ability to remove hostile effects on allies just in case. Great idea, thank you.

Thank you as well for confirming that the Forbidden Fist ability doesn't work with Hylea's Talon, Swift Flurry, or Heartbeat Drumming. The fact that FF doesn't work like a weapon attack in the vanilla game is a very unfortunate. I will have to reconsider many of my equipment and ability choices. I was thinking of using Kahako Nihi and Turning Wheel but it's now looking like they won't do anything for FF in vanilla.

Tuotilo's Palm is also a very good item. Its enchantments for unarmed attacks also apply to Forbidden Fist attacks. 

It works with Two Weapon Style and gives up to +10 to Deflection and Reflex - which is huge. Yet - if you are spamming FF attacks you won't be executing the rel. weak shield bash (which is nice). 

• Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

4 hours ago, Boeroer said:

It works with Two Weapon Style and gives up to +10 to Deflection and Reflex - which is huge.

And, like with quaterstaff, you can pair it with a dagger to get, with the proficiency, +10 deflection again. With 10 wounds, that mean, at superb enchantment : 10+6 deflection (superb small shield), 10 deflection and reflex (wounds) and 10 deflection (in melee, dagger), and enventually +6 deflection and reflex with Weapon & shield style,

42 deflection bonus for melee (32 for ranged) and 16 reflex bonus. 

• Like 2

Yeah: cool weapon choice. 😀

The dagger modal doesn't stack with other active deflection buffs, but it's basically cost-free.

Combined with Crucible of Suffering and spamming FF you will have truly awesome defenses by not hampering your offense at all. 

• Like 2

And, later, with Imagined Pain, can occasionally provide some new wounds for occasionally again, interrupting with Rooting Pain.

About this passive, that could be life-saver when there are more than 1 enemy against the monk, since you are going to gain already 1 wounds / 2 or 3sec. This is not 100% chance to proc an interrupt but can make the difference I think.

• Like 1

Appreciate all the good ideas here, guys. I did some testing with all of your suggestions and also tried a few other things that I was curious about. This is on a hired adventurer cheated up to level 20 if that makes any difference.

Works with Forbidden Fist ability

• Turning Wheel
  • Tuotilo's Palm
  • Helm of the White Void
  • Kahako Nihi
  • Lover's Embrace

Does NOT work with Forbidden Fist ability

• Swift Flurry / Lightning Strikes
  • Heartbeat Drumming
  • Hylea's Talons
  • Two Weapon Style
  • One Handed Style (?)

Reminder that this is with the vanilla game of course. Some of these findings like Helm of the White Void giving accuracy to affliction attacks and being able to get Frenzy from Lover's Embrace just by having it equipped while using other abilities are probably already known or apparent, but I figure I'd mention it here as confirmation that it still works with the vanilla Forbidden Fist ability. What's interesting is that the other gear enchantments that work with Forbidden Fist (or at least the ones that I experimented with, which are Precision Striker on Tuotilo's Palm and Always Armed + Overwhelming Assault on Kahako Nihi) are specifically said to be applicable to unarmed attacks. So Forbidden Fist might be coded as an unarmed attack but not a weapon attack, which possibly explains why it interacts with these item enchantments but not weapon attack abilities like HBD or items like Hylea's Talons, but I'm not sure if that's an actual or relevant distinction in the code. What's really confusing though is that Forbidden Fist will get the burn lash from Turning Wheel but not the shock lash from Lightning Strikes. Really not sure what's going on there.

Another thing I tried testing is Two Weapon Style, which I believe doesn't have any effect on Forbidden Fist. I tested it before and after taking the ability and didn't see a difference in the recovery time. I tried this with two fists, two plain daggers, fist with Tuotilo's Palm offhand, and a plain dagger with Tuotilo's Palm offhand. For curiosity's sake, I then respecced and took One Handed Style and equipped a single dagger to see if that would have an effect on Forbidden Fist, which it doesn't as far as I could tell. I didn't see the added accuracy you would normally get from single wielding get applied to Forbidden Fist nor did I notice any hit to crit conversions, though I admit the testing might not have been extensive enough. I didn't test Two Handed Style, either. I'm thinking that Forbidden Fist is just it's own thing and none of the styles apply to it, but this might bear more testing and corroboration by others.

Some other miscellaneous testing. 1) The proficiency modal for dagger and quarterstaff does indeed work the way you've both said it would, so you can get all of the benefits for free while bypassing the negatives by spamming Forbidden Fist, which is a really great idea for this build and particular play style. The small shield modal, however, doesn't work; it looks like you don't get the extra accuracy after blocking an attack if you then use Forbidden Fist, unfortunately. 2) Dance of Death will not get cancelled by the self damage you take from Forbidden Curse. 3) Crucible of Suffering and Rooting Pain seems quite strong with Forbidden Fist spam as mentioned, giving you a practically constant defense bonus and regular interrupts in an AoE. I got Forbidden Curse down to 2.8 seconds with this test character, but I'm sure you could generate wounds and these effects at an even faster rate with some more optimization.

Edited by tackthumb
  • Like 1

So I did some more testing to figure out good ways of gaining wounds via hostile effects expiring on Forbidden Fists. Based on this recent thread by Tomucci, I can corroborate that using resistance affliction gear such as Defiant Apparel (for Perception Resistance) and also Engwithan Bracers (for Dexterity Resistance) will not give you a wound if it downgrades an affliction effect, which is really unfortunate. Using the test examples in that linked thread, hitting a Forbidden Fist with Chillfog while wearing Defiant Apparel and Web while wearing Engwithan Bracers won't give you a wound once their effects expire. Immunity to afflictions will also not grant you a wound, but that is to be expected (I tested it anyway in the hopes that it worked in the funky way that Immunity to Disengagement worked). However, the push/pull immunity from the Upright Captain's Belt will work with Pull of Eora and still give you a wound. I think I read about this in another thread by Boeroer, so credit to him for that idea, I just tested to confirm it works.

Imagined Pain is also a great way of generating wounds as suggested by Constentin. It's not unique to Forbidden Fists, but it's really useful for this subclass since you tend to have high defenses due to stacking resolve and having Crucible of Suffering active most of the time. In fact, Imagined Pain makes Pull of Eora doubly effective here because you will now gain wounds even if it misses. The trick then becomes reducing the duration of each instance of Pull of Eora on yourself so that it can apply again for the next time it ticks and hits you. With Clarity of Agony active, I was able to get an average of 8-9 wounds from one casting of Pull of Eora. This was just with testing with affliction resistance gear so I'm sure you could get even more wounds with better optimization. I think with how quickly Pull of Eora ticks, the short duration of it's effect, and the relative harmlessness of having reduced stride, this is my ideal spell to use with Forbidden Fists for wound generation, and it's a spell that I tend to cast frequently anyway.

This is slightly off topic, but I also discovered during testing that Soul Mirror reflects spells. I always thought it only reflected ranged weapon attacks, but I was using Necrotic Lance and Ninagauth's Bitter Mooring and was surprised to find that they bounced back to hit my friendly wizard when I used it against my monk. Ninagauth's Bitter Mooring is especially weird because I could also cast it on an enemy, have my monk step between them into the beam, and then it would start reflect back into my wizard. Moving my monk would then produce a separate beam that bounced back at the wizard (see the screenshot below). Not sure if that effect has been documented elsewhere online, but someone might be able to come up with a cool way of using this if it also applies to other beam spells. Maybe a way of first making the caster resistant or immune to the damage type and then creating an extra free beam?

test.jpg

• Like 2

Fun lil' synergy with Berserker/Forbidden Fist:

Use the Footsteps of the Beast (boots) while confused from Frenzy and run around. If you step into your own frost traps (which the boots will drop with every step) you will get hobbled for a very short amount of time. High RES etc. of course reduces that time even more. This leads to a lot of wounds and healing while simply running around. 

You can also use Imagined Pain with Nomad's Brigandine. It has an enchantment that makes you immune to disengagement attacks. This simply means that all disengagement attacks will still be triggered, but they will all miss automatically, triggering Imagined Pain. You can run to enemies, let them engage you, break engagement and get wounds in the process.

Imagined Pain also works very well with Keeper of the Flame + Saint's War Armor + Whispers of the Wind. The AoE of the flail has friendly fire and will even hit you. But it targers reflex and the Saint's War Armor can make you immune to Reflex attacks. When you use Whispers of the Wind you will be invisible, so the only attacks against you wll be the AoE hits from Keeper of the Flame. And since WotW is an AoE attack (sort of) itself you will generate a lot of self-hits which will all miss bc. ouf the armor, giving you wounds in the process. This makes it possible to spam WotW non-stop. 

9 minutes ago, Boeroer said:

Imagined Pain also works very well with Keeper of the Flame + Saint's War Armor + Whispers of the Wind. The AoE of the flail has friendly fire and will even hit you. But it targers reflex and the Saint's War Armor can make you immune to Reflex attacks. When you use Whispers of the Wind you will be invisible, so the only attacks against you wll be the AoE hits from Keeper of the Flame. And since WotW is an AoE attack (sort of) itself you will generate a lot of self-hits which will all miss bc. ouf the armor, giving you wounds in the process. This makes it possible to spam WotW non-stop. 

That's a very cool setup. I wonder though, how safe would you be from not eventually hitting yourself with the AoE since WotW is going to be making a lot of hit rolls, especially if you're able to spam it a lot. My concern is that the AoE might eventually land twice and cancel out the armor's Reflex immunity. I assume the AoE uses your character's accuracy and the accuracy from the weapon quality, so maybe you could just not upgrade the quality for more safety? Or is it not much of a concern in practice, as long as you keep your Reflex defense high? I love the idea of this, though.

And yeah, I'm beginning to comprehend just how powerful Imagined Pain is with a tanky monk. The interrupt AoE from Rooting Pain also seems very strong on a Forbidden Fist if you are able to generate wounds at a decent pace. It gave me an idea for a Tactician/Forbidden fist that spams the Forbidden Fist ability to constantly generate wounds which then triggers Rooting Pain's AoE interrupt at regular intervals, giving the Tactician subclass a decent chance to interrupt enemies and gain Discipline for Fighter abilities. You could then keep Vigorous Defense and Crucible of Suffering constantly on and stack your defenses really high (assuming those abilities stack, which I believe they should, but worth testing out). Equipping Gipon Prudensco and Squid's Grasp would give you flanking immunity to handle the issue of Tactical Dilemma. Of course, you do lose out on Imagined Pain and Whispers of the Wind as a multiclass. Very high defenses also works against you a little if you think about it, since hostile effects might miss you entirely now, limiting your wound generation as a Forbidden Fist, unless you are relying on spamming the Forbidden Fist ability like I'm planning to do. So it would definitely be a big tradeoff between offense and better defense by making it a fighter/monk multiclass, but it could be nice if you wanted to make a more tanky monk with great defenses, more engagement, and endless regeneration.

On 8/14/2022 at 4:11 AM, tackthumb said:

However, the push/pull immunity from the Upright Captain's Belt will work with Pull of Eora and still give you a wound. 

I don't think immunity to pull/push has anything to do with the wounds, at least from my experience... With Pull of Eora you can indeed get wounds in two ways - when the stride debuff misses or when it expires. When it misses you get only a wound, while when it expires you are also healed. The belt prevents only to be pulled. A thing to keep in mind however - later if you cast Pull of Eora with the monk it will stack Resonant Touch on him too.

The FF can also generate wounds during WotW using Hylea's Talons bleed and Powder Burns from a blunderbuss - it's possible to reduce their duration to around 2s.

A good way to increase the survivability of the FF is to use Voidward (to reduce the raw damage) coupled with items with %healing. Instead of using a belt giving some constitution it's more beneficial to use for example the Physicker's Belt.

At Port Maje, using a brigandine + medium shield with modal + dagger with modal allows to spam FF and you can solo basically all encounters. (however you have to find the right balance between int/dex). 

The FF can also generate wounds while attacking with a blunderbuss and maintain Blade Turning all the time once you get Ooblit. The Dichotomous Soul can also be used in various ways to weaken/damage the enemies. 

Edited by Kaylon
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Kaylon said:

I don't think immunity to pull/push has anything to do with the wounds, at least from my experience... With Pull of Eora you can indeed get wounds in two ways - when the stride debuff misses or when it expires. When it misses you get only a wound, while when it expires you are also healed. The belt prevents only to be pulled.

That is correct. The pulls don't have a seperate attack roll and thus can't turned into misses by the immunity of the belt.

The belt is still useful when walking into a Pull of Eora with a Forbidden Fist. You really don't want to get ragdolled around - and as was said Imagined Pain can still get you a wound when the attack roll of Pull of Eora misses. The very short slowing effect will give you a wound + healing when it expires. The only thing you suffer from is -25% stride which is bearable.

I think Pull of Eora + Forbidden Fist is a good combo. To cramp even more Pulls into a given time and place you can use an Arcane Archer with either Fire in the Hole or Watershaper's Focus + Driving Flight and fire into a tight group of 3+ enemies. You will produce 3 Pulls that will work in parallel and all of those pulses might miss the FF (wound) - and if not the expiring effect will give wound + healing. And only for the price of -25% stride. It's a win-win situation imo.     

8 hours ago, Kaylon said:

A thing to keep in mind however - later if you cast Pull of Eora with the monk it will stack Resonant Touch on him too.

You mean with a scroll?

If I understood OP correctly the Pull of Eora should come from a party member so there wouldn't be such an interplay?

15 hours ago, Kaylon said:

I don't think immunity to pull/push has anything to do with the wounds, at least from my experience... With Pull of Eora you can indeed get wounds in two ways - when the stride debuff misses or when it expires. When it misses you get only a wound, while when it expires you are also healed. The belt prevents only to be pulled. A thing to keep in mind however - later if you cast Pull of Eora with the monk it will stack Resonant Touch on him too.

That's a fair clarification. The belt just gives you immunity from Pull of Eora's push/pull effect. The actual wound generation comes from the stride debuff.

15 hours ago, Kaylon said:

The FF can also generate wounds during WotW using Hylea's Talons bleed and Powder Burns from a blunderbuss - it's possible to reduce their duration to around 2s.

7 hours ago, Boeroer said:

To cramp even more Pulls into a given time and place you can use an Arcane Archer with either Fire in the Hole or Watershaper's Focus + Driving Flight and fire into a tight group of 3+ enemies. You will produce 3 Pulls that will work in parallel and all of those pulses might miss the FF (wound) - and if not the expiring effect will give wound + healing. And only for the price of -25% stride. It's a win-win situation imo.     

I tested both of these and it doesn't quite work the way you describe. What happens when you get hit by a hostile effect in very quick succession (such as from using Hylea's Talons with Whispers of the Wind or getting hit by multiple instances of Pull of Eora at the same time) is that the new effect just overrides and essentially resets the timer of the previous hostile effect. So the first hostile effect never actually has a chance to expire and it ends up limiting your Forbidden Fist wound. I guess if you get the hostile effect duration really, really low, you could get the hostile effect to expire before a new one ticks but it seems unlikely given how fast Pull of Eora and WotW procs.

7 hours ago, tackthumb said:

I tested both of these and it doesn't quite work the way you describe. What happens when you get hit by a hostile effect in very quick succession (such as from using Hylea's Talons with Whispers of the Wind or getting hit by multiple instances of Pull of Eora at the same time) is that the new effect just overrides and essentially resets the timer of the previous hostile effect. So the first hostile effect never actually has a chance to expire and it ends up limiting your Forbidden Fist wound. I guess if you get the hostile effect duration really, really low, you could get the hostile effect to expire before a new one ticks but it seems unlikely given how fast Pull of Eora and WotW procs.

The problem you describe applies to the drop traps of Footsteps of the Beast and Pull of Work as well. If you catch too many afflictions in quick succession they will prolong but not expire. 

Key is high defenses and really short hostile effects.

With Clarity of Agony, Mohora Wraps, reduction gear and a truckload of RES you can make it work. I also assume that not every pulse will hit but there will be a lot of misses (good for Imagined Pain) if your defense is high enough.

Funnily enough in this case it's beneficial to have really low accuracy and very short duration on the Arcane Archer - bit given the impactfulness of an AA hurling proper Pulls of Eora I think it's not worth it to go down that road just to make the Monk gain wounds faster. 

But maybe the whole fuss is not worth it. At some point too much micromanagement becomes unfun and even though it's beneficial on paper it will be detrimental to the overall experience. So handle with care. ;)

Other source of affliction(s) that can be provided by party members and will not interfere with Pull of Eora:

Tanglefoot: only hobbling (not too bad) with short durations and fast pulses. Maybe that got mentioned already? If so then sorry. :)

Edited by Boeroer

19 hours ago, tackthumb said:

Indeed the hostile effects are refreshed during the attacks, but if you reduce their duration in the 2s range they will expire at the end of the recovery phase of the WotW.

11 hours ago, Kaylon said:

Indeed the hostile effects are refreshed during the attacks, but if you reduce their duration in the 2s range they will expire at the end of the recovery phase of the WotW.

I tried it again by cheating up Resolve to the 35 cap on my test monk to get Hylea's Talons under 2 seconds and still couldn't get it to work. The problem is the attack strings between WotW are practically instantaneous or at least so quick that Hylea's Talons doesn't wear off fast enough before the monk has teleported to the next target and restarted the duration with a fresh proc, even when I place the enemies well far apart. The most I observed is two wounds if I get "lucky" and Hylea's Talons procs once early, doesn't proc again for the next couple of hits so that the first disappears, and then procs for the final hit of WotW. I think I could squeeze more wounds out of it if I wielded a single or two-handed weapon to reduce the number of attacks I made during WotW and thus the chances for Hylea's Talons to trigger again before it can wear off, but like Boeroer said earlier, that kind of micromanagement is probably counterintuitive at that point. 

Edited by tackthumb

6 hours ago, tackthumb said:

I tried it again by cheating up Resolve to the 35 cap on my test monk to get Hylea's Talons under 2 seconds and still couldn't get it to work.

There is a way with the shield Outworn Buckler equiped on self or allie : switching with the AI (so very fast) between 2 weapon sets (1 with the shield) will reduce hostile effects probably under the 2sec cap. If the second weapon set contain Lethandria's Devotion you can heal the party by the same way.

In other hand you can reduce hostile effects by potion, drink and Inn rest. Apparently @Elric Galadjust find that the Inn resting bonus are stacking active effects (in opposition to food and drink that no stack with other actives). Between the potion, the Inn resting (Tikawara and in SSS), resolve and Clarity of Agony, maybe you dont need a Switching-Shield character with your monk.

You don't gain wounds between hits, you gain them at the end. I think 30+ resolve is enough, however you need at least Clarity of Agony and the Ring of the Solitary Wanderer to shorten the effects. That way it's possible to reach 2.3-2.5s duration which ends at the same time with WotW recovery if you don't have other speed buffs.

27 minutes ago, Constentin Lévine said:

There is a way with the shield Outworn Buckler equiped on self or allie : switching with the AI (so very fast) between 2 weapon sets (1 with the shield) will reduce hostile effects probably under the 2sec cap. If the second weapon set contain Lethandria's Devotion you can heal the party by the same way.

In other hand you can reduce hostile effects by potion, drink and Inn rest. Apparently @Elric Galadjust find that the Inn resting bonus are stacking active effects (in opposition to food and drink that no stack with other actives). Between the potion, the Inn resting (Tikawara and in SSS), resolve and Clarity of Agony, maybe you dont need a Switching-Shield character with your monk.

Yeah, and the Fire Godlike prostitute at wild mare also gives +2 Resolve (and +1 to 2 other stats). It also stacks (but obviously is only available to Main Characters).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NotDumbEnough said:

If you're willing to spend cash on luminous adra potions or bathhouse visits, the pool in Bipara's cave also gives you extra attributes until you rest, which also stack.

Does bathhouse remove injuries ? I didn't know that.

Good thing is that you can jump into the pool for free when your either get leap as a Barbarian, or get some leaping boots for other classes.

On 8/14/2022 at 10:23 PM, Boeroer said:

Use the Footsteps of the Beast (boots) while confused from Frenzy and run around. If you step into your own frost traps (which the boots will drop with every step) you will get hobbled for a very short amount of time. High RES etc. of course reduces that time even more. This leads to a lot of wounds and healing while simply running around. 

By the way I find the thread you speak about, with a Berserker-FF walking and generate wounds ; in the fact that doesnt work, this is theorycrafting at the release of the new subclasses. The post mention one wound/healing per 1.5s but the icy patch trigger potentialy every 0.3s (1sec because of the hobbled walking effect) and refresh the Hobbled duration every time.

(the post is on 9th position)