I'm in the market for a ranged build that doesn't use Pierce damage, since discovering a bug with Pierce damage immune enemies on console. Even if your weapons do best of, if an enemy is Pierce damage immune.. the weapon will just do Pierce damage. Thus, I have arrived at a scepter build.

Most people are recommending to multi-class with a monk. I get that destructive channeling is a great source of wounds. But what are you spending wounds on, as a ranged character? Thunderous blows? It just seems like there could be a better synergy than that, somewhere. I thought Helwalker was perfect, but as @Boeroerpointed out... using destructive channeling with a Helwalker when you have too many wounds could be suicide.

could someone clarify this for me? Am I missing something? I really wanna get this playthrough going. But I only play POTD. I need something viable.

55 minutes ago, AAAWiz4rd said:

But what are you spending wounds on, as a ranged character? Thunderous blows? It just seems like there could be a better synergy than that, somewhere.

I assume that you would say Stunning Blow, yes it is the only potential ranged ability the monk get, but not the only synergy : Lightning Strikes, Turning Wheels int bonus, etc.

You could always consider a ranged monk MC, such as helwalker/ascendent, using the ranged weapon of your choice (such as frostseeker for this this combo), and then switch to fists and fire up the long pain during those rare encounters with pierce immune foes. You could play most of the game using the ranged weapon(s) of your choice, with a strong crush backup when needed. The twins would be great for a ranged character, keeping aggro away from you.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Constentin Lévine said:

I assume that you would say Stunning Blow, yes it is the only potential ranged ability the monk get, but not the only synergy : Lightning Strikes, Turning Wheels int bonus, etc.

Stunning blow costs mortification. I need that for buffs

18 minutes ago, Not So Clever Hound said:

Stunning Surge refunds itself basically 100% when you fire Frotseeker. Helwalker/Ranger is also a nice combo with it.

Issue is that Console version makes Pierce Immune also immune to Pierce/Slash damages according to OP.

But yeah. And just switch weapon vs Pierce Immune.

Stunning Surge also adds +2 wounds

• Like 1

Or maybe a sage, with Concelhaut's Draining Touch (which is corrode only if I remember correctly) and Instruments of Pain? BTW, does Instruments of Pain turn melee attacks into ranged? I ask because it would be nice if the ranged boni from Harley pet, etc. applied to such attacks.

22 minutes ago, dgray62 said:

BTW, does Instruments of Pain turn melee attacks into ranged? I ask because it would be nice if the ranged boni from Harley pet, etc. applied to such attacks.

I remember it being funky (e.g. I don't think that you can rock Driving Flight) but yes, Harley helps IoP so it seems to be tagged as a ranged ability - but not a ranged weapon for the purpose of Driving Flights and other things specifically for ranged weaponry. I haven't tested Acina's Tricorn and Ring of the Marksman but I would expect that the former works, but not the latter. (ranged attack vs. ranged weapon).

Edited by Not So Clever Hound
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, dgray62 said:

Or maybe a sage, with Concelhaut's Draining Touch (which is corrode only if I remember correctly) and Instruments of Pain? BTW, does Instruments of Pain turn melee attacks into ranged? I ask because it would be nice if the ranged boni from Harley pet, etc. applied to such attacks.

Instrument of pain only add a +500% melee reach, but doesnt change the type of the weapon!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Constentin Lévine said:

Instrument of pain only add a +500% melee reach, but doesnt change the type of the weapon!

Yes :) BUT it makes the attack ranged. It doesn't turn your fists/melee weapons into ranged weapons however. At least that's my understanding. :) reason why Harley works but not Driving Flight.

Edited by Not So Clever Hound
  • Like 1

I personally only pick a ranged Monk (non-multiclass) when I want to use Hand Mortar/Fire in the Hole. 

Turning Wheel enlarges the AoE, Dance of Death gives you +12 ACC, Razor's Edge +10 ACC on top, Lightning Strikes add another lash and with the Long Pain you'll have superb crush weapons as backup. 

Resonant Touch is superb with mortars, Whispers of the Wind, too. I can use Thunderous Blows and two summons, and Stunning Surge almost always crits if you fire into multiple enemies, stunning most of them (if not all with the very high ACC).

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

16 minutes ago, Boeroer said:

I personally only pick a ranged Monk (non+multiclass) when I want to use Hand Mortar/Fire in the Hole. 

Turning Wheel enlarges the AoE, Dance of Death gives you +12 ACC, Razor's Edge +10 ACC on top, Lightning Strikes add another lash and with the Long Pain you'll have superb crush weapons as backup. 

Resonant Touch is superb with mortars, Whispers of the Wind, too. I can use Thunderous Blows and two summons, and Stunning Surge almost always crits if you fine into multiple enemies, stunning most of them (if not all with the very high ACC).

All while somewhere, somehow, a SC Paladin is feverishly anticipating to activate Sacred Sacrifice, costing them 4 Zeal, hoping it will help them get back into the fight and turn the tide of this difficult encounter at the cost of their last few resources. It will not. Fortune favors the brave, but Deadfire favors the Monks. :) 

• Haha 1

Resonant Touch is superb with Blunderbusses in general, not specifically mortars.

SC Monk is also a good candidate for Frostseeker for this particular reason (and Razor's Edge, Enduring Dance, Stunning Surge, etc...). +15 raw damages per Hit is great, but with multi-hit weapons, it's almost broken.

It's Avenging Storm on steroids basically.

Edited by Elric Galad