Anime and Manga - < To Be Continued I \ I /

PK htiw klaw eriF

10 hours ago, KP on top of ZA WARUDO said:

Looks like he's trying to do the Pillar Man workout, this doesn't bode well for your eventual battle to the death.

I get beaten at arm wrestling by the women at work, so unless Unicorn of War also has the upper body strength of a girl that's a lost cause anyway. :p

Tamako Market, Episode 5:

The girls go to the pool. Tamako sees Mochizo and casually invites him along, and Midori is like "the hell is wrong with you, you can't invite boys when we'll be wearing our swimsuits" and I'm calling BS on that. I mean, sure, it's weird to invite a boy to a girl's day out in the first place, but that reasoning is pretty wild when you go to a public pool. Midori just doesn't want Mochizo to be around. I get that girl, really. :p

Also shows just how much of an airhead Tamako can be. Midori ends up trying to teach Tamako to swim, and once again, all I can say is that I should like this more than I do.

edit: She also stops Dera from delivering a "hey, I want to meet and tell you something" note from Mochizo to Tamako. Devious. Tsk.

edit 2: Midori ends up talking to Mochizo and she's really, really jealous. Yikes.

edit3: Midori asks Tamako what she thinks of Mochizo and she says he's a childhood friend. Happy with that Midori makes up with Mochizo. Girl, you definitely need to watch more romance films if you think that's fine. She's now trying to get Mochizo to talk to Tamako. Hm.

Edited by majestic
  • Hmmm 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Tamako Market, Episode 6:

Tamako builds a haunted house as an attraction for the shopping arcade. This one was kind of fun, Dera was funny as usual and someone at the end came looking for him. It was a good episode, and as usual, not really... dunno. Tamako Market keeps being fine, but nothing more.

I'll try to get to watch some Carried by the Wind tomorrow. Wasn't really in the mood today, and I spent most of my time playing Grim Dawn of all things. Not sure why (probably because the current patch made a meme-build good enough to play it, and it's been a blast :p). :shrugz:

• Like 1

Found something new to watch... first season of Fire Force (Enen no Shouboutai). Looks like this thing's hot! :rolleyes:

24 Episodes though. Completion is going to depend on the quality of the first half dozen episodes.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

6 minutes ago, Gorth said:

Found something new to watch... first season of Fire Force (Enen no Shouboutai). Looks like this thing's hot! :rolleyes:

Uhm, is that really about fire fighters putting out burning demons like the trailer implies? :p

Carried by the Wind: Tsukikage Ran, episode five.

Well, what can I say. Myao is retarded. I say that every time, but it just is what it is. More than half the episode was her being retarded, and it's great. Bonus points for not having the old man die.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Gorth said:

24 Episodes though. Completion is going to depend on the quality of the first half dozen episodes.

Oh boy. The following story is not a joke:

I have a friend who is somewhat of an anime watcher, although less these days than she used to be. Fire Force happened to be one of her boyfriend's favorite animes of the last few years and since she's someone that also likes anime, he insisted that they watch it together. Apparently, she hadn't watched any shonen anime since she was a teen, and...it did not go over well, because she thought the entire thing was a silly and ironic joke. It was not: he took it as seriously as it was apparently intended to be. Many arguments and hurt feelings later, they ended up breaking up like a month down the road. They'd been together for over a year, :shrugz:. When she sent me a clip of it, I basically had the same reaction as her, which was also essentially the same as RedLetterMedia's Mike's reaction to "A Dog's Purpose":

Suffice to say, I am not the target audience for Fire Force, :p.

@majestic Feel free to explain to me the title of episode 5.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Sad 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

7 minutes ago, majestic said:

Uhm, is that really about fire fighters putting out burning demons like the trailer implies? :p

Stealing setting and plot from wiki...

Setting

The Great Cataclysm is an event that happened two hundred and fifty years ago, 50 years before the Solar year 0. During it, the world was set on fire, and many nations were wiped out with very few habitable areas left in the aftermath. The survivors took refuge in the Tokyo Empire, which remained mostly stable during the period despite losing some of its landmass. The Tokyo Emperor Raffles I establishes the faith of the Holy Sol Temple as it and Haijima Industries developed the perpetual thermal energy plant Amaterasu to power the country.

In Year 198 of Tokyo's Solar Era, special fire brigades called the Fire Force fight increasing incidents of spontaneous human combustion where human beings are turned into living infernos called "Infernals".[Jp. 3] While the Infernals are first generation cases of spontaneous human combustion, with more powerful horned variations known as Demons, later generations possess pyrokinesis while retaining human form. The Fire Force was formed by combining people with these powers from the Holy Sol Temple, The Tokyo Armed Forces, and the Fire Defense Agency, and is composed of eight independent companies.

Plot
Shinra Kusakabe is a third generation pyrokinetic youth who gained the nickname "Devil's Footprints" for his ability to ignite his feet at will, and was ostracized as a child for the fire that killed his mother and younger brother Sho twelve years ago. He joins Special Fire Force Company 8, which features other pyrokinetics who dedicated themselves to ending the Infernal attacks for good while investigating Companies 1 through 7 for potential corruption in their ranks. Shinra begins to learn that the fire that killed his mother was a cover for Sho to be taken by the White Clad, a doomsday cult behind the Infernal attacks with agents within the facets of the Tokyo Empire. Company 8 and their allies oppose the White Clad while learning of their goal to gather eight individuals like Shinra and Sho to repeat the Great Cataclysm for an ancient being who manipulated humanity for that very purpose.

• Confused 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

1 hour ago, Gorth said:

There are some puns that shouldn't be made. This is one of them.

1 hour ago, Bartimaeus said:

I have a friend who is somewhat of an anime watcher, although less these days than she used to be. Fire Force happened to be one of her boyfriend's favorite animes of the last few years and since she's someone that also likes anime, he insisted that they watch it together. Apparently, she hadn't watched any shonen anime since she was a teen, and...it did not go over well, because she thought the entire thing was a silly and ironic joke. It was not: he took it as seriously as it was apparently intended to be. Many arguments and hurt feelings later, they ended up breaking up like a month down the road. They'd been together for over a year, :shrugz:.

Fire Force: It'll get your girlfriend to leave you!

• Like 3

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

1 hour ago, Bartimaeus said:

@majestic Feel free to explain to me the title of episode 5.

I think it refers to the moment where Myao, uhm, removes parts of her clothing for the painter.

I should sleep, not try to translate things I don't entirely know how to apply yet, but hey... spoilered for brevity.

Spoiler

脱いだら結構すごかった -> nuidara kekkō sugokatta.

First things first, 脱ぐ (nugu) means to take off (articles of clothing). 脱いだら is the conditional form, which took me a while to realize. Mostly because verbs ending in -gu and -ku have their -ta and -te forms replace the ku and gu with ita and ida, and ite and ide respectively. That doesn't need to make any sense (to you :p), it just makes verbs hard to recognize at times. Anyway, nugu becomes nuidara to express "If (when) I take off (clothing)".

結構 is an adjective in this case, meaing "quite", probably. Guessing from the context, at least. The last part, sugokatta, is also an adjective, because i-adjectives (they all end in a syllable "i"*, like sugoi - amazing, the adjective used here - that you should also know already, somewhat, because yelling SUGOI! does happen pretty often in anime) can be put in the past tense by replacing the i with katta. That means sugokatta is "it was amazing".

Long story short, the English title is actually pretty spot on this time. It really means "It was pretty amazing when I stripped" - not exactly in these words, more literal it would be "When I took off my clothes, it was quite great."

Culturally, Japan didn't have what we think of as a nudity taboo before the Meiji restoration, naked public bathing was normal. Linking nudity with sexuality is something that Christians brought to Japan, and with the upper classes being able to afford Western style clothing it cemented being naked (again, like when bathing in public) as being low class. If this really plays before the Meiji restoration period, which it should, then that also explains why Myao might be a bit of a prude but is so readily willing to drop clothing for the painter. Just in case you wondered what the hell was going on there.

*Syllable i, that's important. Kirei (pretty in the sense of beautiful, not pretty in the sense of quite as the translation used) is not an i-adjective because an "i" following an "e" makes an elongated "e" sound (like in sensei). I-adjectives never end on an -ei.

Edited by majestic
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, majestic said:

I think it refers to the moment where Myao, uhm, removes parts of her clothing for the painter.

...Did she actually do that? All I remember is her slightly lowering her shirt on one of her shoulders and the guy immediately being like "yeah, please don't", :p.

Sorry about asking for the translation, I didn't know it was going to be that intense. Hey, practice...right? :- Glad they got one right, though!

I think this was the episode where I really fully cemented in my brain that Myao was awesome. Something about the way she was genuinely offended with the painter when he wanted to paint her and then immediately abandoned her when he came across Ran really resonated with me, for whatever reason. I was mad at that jerk for the entire episode too...and the fact that she had grown wise to his stupid tactics at the end of the episode when Ran was finally convinced somehow felt perfect. Myao might be dumb, but she's not that dumb!

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

32 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

...Did she actually do that? All I remember is her slightly lowering her shirt on one of her shoulders and the guy immediately being like "yeah, please don't", :p.

She indecently exposed her shoulder. I mean... yeah, that's all there was.

Sorry about asking for the translation, I didn't know it was going to be that intense. Hey, practice...right? :- Glad they got one right, though!

That's one part lack of grammar knowledge - there's a whole lot to unpack, and I checked, it's been only 50 days (and more than a few where I just looked at the vocabulary list), so eh... things take a bit. :yes:The other part is lack of practice, so that's not bad indeed. Agglutination is very prominent in Japanese, and it makes learning words a bit of a hassle. Conjugation rules, as a whole, are really simple (at least when compared to German, compared to English they're probably hell), but that barely makes any difference if it takes a while for it to sink in that nuidara is a conjugated variant of nugu. :p

I think this was the episode where I really fully cemented in my brain that Myao was awesome. Something about the way she was genuinely offended with the painter when he wanted to paint her and then immediately abandoned her when he came across Ran really resonated with me, for whatever reason. I was mad at that jerk for the entire episode too...and the fact that she had grown wise to his stupid tactics at the end of the episode when Ran was finally convinced somehow felt perfect. Myao might be dumb, but she's not that dumb!

It was hilarious when Ran was convinced by the end and Myao just laughed at her for a change. Pretty good episode, all in all. Probably the best so far.

03:30 in the morning, and work today. Woops. Good night. :)

Edited by majestic
  • Like 1

JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure, Stone Ocean 6: "Ermes's Stickers"

Erumesu plays with stickers and finds out she has an admirer.

JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure, Stone Ocean 7: "There’s Six of Us!"

JoJo, Erumesu and other inmates are allowed to go jogging outside the prison. One of them wears a red shirt.

jojo-jojos-bizarre-adventure.gif

Spoiler

Erumesu should copy bills, give them to two different people and double her money.

McQueen’s Stando is really f***** up! They should keep that disc very far from him.

5eb5ce31fd8dfb4ca8d398c55f3a3433bc0f9dca

• Like 1

sign.jpg

Supēsu Kobura aka Space Cobra aka Space Adventure Cobra 

Episode VIII: "Gekitō! Kobura tai Bōi"  aka "Fierce Battle! Cobra versus Bowie"

Cobra heads for a face-off with Crystal Bowie, but first must do something about his army of soldiers.

Spoiler

Solid episode, you get a little for Lady to do (destroying the army after Cobra decoys them) and a lot of Bowie and Cobra facing off with their special talents (crystal body that deflects energy rays vs Psychogun).  Cobra wins and not quite in the way that I expected.  Some funny clowning around from Cobra too, kinda Lupin III-esque.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I'm watching One Piece for the plot.

The plot:

0_big.jpg?v=1598792169000

Funny enough, that's exactly the episode where I am right now.

Edited by Lexx
  • Hmmm 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

10 minutes ago, majestic said:

How many One Piece episodes are there by now? 2000? 5000? :p 

Enough to make Vegeta break his visor.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I am at 558 now, but I've started at 450+ or so, basically what I remembered from when I stopped watching this in tv 10 years ago.

Most of the episodes are only 15 mins if you skip intro + recap, so you're burning through episodes quite fast

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Tamako Market, episode seven.

The girl who came looking for Dera last episode is called Choi, and she uses Dera to tell fortunes that are frighteningly accurate. She's also pretty angry that Dera has grown too fat to fly and finds out that his communication, uhm, equipment is damaged. Dera meanwhile tells her a wild story about being forced to stay and consume mochi, so Choi ends up highly suspicious of everyone, and everyone is just nice to her.

I kinda get tired of repeating myself, but that's another episode that is... fine. it had some geniunely nice moments, but... *sigh* Yeah, this just doesn't really work out. It's not bad, it's pretty nice most of the time, there's nothing offensive, Dera is funny, the characters are all nice, but it's just not for me, I guess. Good thing it's short. :p

Spoiler

Not very surpisingly Choi seems to think that Tamako is the princess they're looking for. Is Mochizo going to confess to stop her from leaving? Is she going to entertain the thought of leaving at all? That seems highly unlikely, somehow.

This show sounds an awful lot like how I felt when I watched Okko's Inn. It's fine, there's nothing wrong with it, I should be into it to some degree...but it ain't grabbing me for whatever reason.

• Hmmm 1

9 minutes ago, Lexx said:

I swear to god, with every new chapter of One Piece, the "plot" gets bigger.

WISEMAN, also known as DEATH PHANTOM, gives out free boobjobs to anime girls, whether they want them or not. :yes:

hero6.png

Hello, don't mind me, there's nothing else going on. Don't believe the people who tell lies about me.

3 minutes ago, majestic said:

WISEMAN, also known as DEATH PHANTOM, gives out free boobjobs to anime girls, whether they want them or not. :yes:

hero6.png

Hello, don't mind me, there's nothing else going on. Don't believe the people who tell lies about me.

When you think about it, Wiseman was just protecting Chibi-Usa from Pegasus.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Gasp! 1

11 minutes ago, KP on top of ZA WARUDO said:

When you think about it, Wiseman was just protecting Chibi-Usa from Pegasus.

I'm not sure forced father/daughter incest (editor's note: forced by the daughter, dear reader, in case you don't know what this is about) is any better than a pedophile alicorn bringing little children to his crystal lake where they can only visit when they don't tell their parents about him and the three rapists he saved can watch.

Wait, now that I have typed this out, nope, not even Manga!Black Lady is as bad as Pegasus.

Edited by majestic
  • Haha 1
  • Gasp! 2
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, majestic said:

I'm not sure forced father/daughter incest (editor's note: forced by the daughter, dear reader, in case you don't know what this is about) is any better than a pedophile alicorn brining little children to his crystal lake where they can only visit when they don't tell their parents about him and the three rapists he saved can watch.

Wait, now that I have typed this out, nope, not even Manga!Black Lady is as bad as Pegasus.

In DEATH PHANTOM's defense, that was all Chibi-Usa's Oedipus complex.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, KP on top of ZA WARUDO said:

In DEATH PHANTOM's defense, that was all Chibi-Usa's Oedipus complex.

Nitpicker in me says Electra complex, but yes, that's not really DEATH PHANTOM's fault. :)

• Gasp! 1

34 minutes ago, majestic said:

Nitpicker in me says Electra complex, but yes, that's not really DEATH PHANTOM's fault. :)

On one hand huh, who knew they named the same phenomenon something different because of gender. On the other hand, I'm not going to stop calling it Oedipus.

809689b660de2c5452b9c47a28e51fa4.jpg

• Gasp! 1