Anime and Manga - < To Be Continued I \ I /

PK htiw klaw eriF

1 hour ago, Bartimaeus said:

The Lexx one feels a little mean-spirited with no context, even though my assumption is that you wouldn't put a quote of that nature in your signature unless you at least didn't hate the person in question, :p.

I thought about that, but it's too funny not to use. I am something of a dumbass myself.

Anyone I dislike on here goes on the ignore list.

31 minutes ago, InsaneCommander said:

This scene was enough to make me love her even more than Lisa Lisa. And why did

Hide contents

Joseph get involved with her?

Well, because she, too, has the same signature mannerisms:

Just check at 0:47... "I love you, I love you..." just beat "Ora, ora..."

One thing I picked up on my rewatch of Stardust Crusaders 

Old Joesph's laugh is hilarious.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I kind of got lucky, becase the second half of the episode was okay, except for Vivio's voice direction. It's also never going to change the transformation sequence, I guess, so the only hope is that they didn't use it that often. Last season's cyborg villain squad have taken up various jobs, and some are serving at the Heiliger Kaiser Church. Vivio visits a character that everyone is apparently familiar with but is new, someone called Ixy, who is either in a magical whatever sleep or in a coma.

Ixveria[3](イクスヴェリア Ikusuveria) is a character first introduced in StrikerS Sound Stage X. She appears like a young girl, despite being several centuries old.

Thanks, Nanoha wiki. Yeah, I don't really want to listen to a Japanese audio drama. Not that I could. Not even sure I ever will, to be honest, but that's neither here nor there. :)

The episode helpfully ends with a cliffhanger as Nove is ambushed by a mysterious figure. Well, next episode will finally have some action, I guess.

Edited by majestic
  • Like 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

8 hours ago, majestic said:

She appears like a young girl, despite being several centuries old.

Classic anime. Don't remind me of how some people insist that everything between Chibi-Usa and Pegasus is totally cool because technically she's hundreds of years old or whatever, so ignore her appearance and the fact that she's obviously a 10~ year old in pretty much every way.

Also, introducing a new character via a drama album and expecting your viewers to know all about them is hilarious.

• Like 1
  • Gasp! 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Well... Nove has a fight with Heidi who so totally is not the adult form of future Vivio girlfriend Einhard. Not something I figured out by guessing though. There are not a lot of characters with heterochromia on the show, and "Heidi" is one of them, and Einhard from the chart has the same eye color.

Heidi is looking for Ixveria, Flame King of Hades. Sure. Works for me.

This is Nove's combat form in StrikerS:

strikers17%20(7).jpg

I'm a Dr. Light type robot. Well, cyborg, in StrikerS, but yeah, I used to be friends with Mega Man and Zero!

ViVid turns her into this:

luh1x8E.png

Hello, I'm Nove, and I'll be your waitress at Hooter's today. Are you ready to order?

4 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

Classic anime. Don't remind me of how some people insist that everything between Chibi-Usa and Pegasus is totally cool because technically she's hundreds of years old or whatever, so ignore her appearance and the fact that she's obviously a 10~ year old in pretty much every way.

Nothing can excuse Pegasus. Nothing. Absolutely nothing.

Speaking of Pegasus, YouTube suggested I watch a "Sailor Moon Iceberg" video. Curious, I started watching, then I got lucky, the guy said "Haruka and Michiru are the second best power couple of Sailor Moon, after Pegasus and Chibi-Usa.", so I turned off the video and removed it from my YouTube history so I never accidentially run into an incomplete progress bar that makes me click back into it.

This is going to bother me for a while, but I'm not watching that. No way. Come at me, brain, you'll not win this time I hope. :p

Back to ViVid:

Spoiler

Oh dear, that fight is one hell of a shounen-off. Nove is all like: "Imma punch you out, amateur." and Heidi is all like "Imma prove that I'm the bestest, Hegemon power! Weakness is unforgivable!" then they punch each other until Nove is knocked out cold and Heidi collapses after she transforms back into Einhart. The name's spelled with a t, so thanks for nothing, character chart.

Anyway, Einhart seems to have some memories from ancient Belka stuck in her head.

Did I mention yet that Einahrt is an archaic male name?

Einhart says things like "I fight to become stronger." and "I want to prove the power of my Hegemon Style." and "Kaiser Arts are my sole reason for being!" and a whole lot of other nonsense. Fantastic, really. To be fair, Tia and Subaru weren't much better at the beginning of StrikerS, but Tia severely hurt herself right in the first episode as a reward for being like this and they both failed an exam over being reckless shounen dolts.

Somehow I don't see that happening here, but hey, the episode isn't over yet. Sadly. I wish it were.

Nove and Einhard are talking some more, then the scene transitions seamlessly to Vivio having a run in the park, underscored by an upbeat J-POP tune that could easily be adapted into a Eurodance workout track, and I just lost it, started laughing like an idiot. Du du du du du du duuuu du du du du duuu... bwahahahaha. *snort*

Oh, no. Vivio comes home from her workout and asks where Fate-mama is, Nanoha tells her she's taking a shower, and the next scene is of course doing exactly what I was afraid it would. Now, where did I put my pencils, it's time to gouge my eyes out. Oh no, it's too late. Yikes. This is... actually even worse. This... no. Why is... so now it's Fate, Nanoha and Vivio in the shower.

Because of COURSE it is. What ELSE could it be. Oh right. There's something else that is. Anime shower scene bust size increase magic is at work and both Fate and Nanoha suddenly have DD+ sized... no, not going to post that picture again, but imagine him grinning. Hey, Vivio, do me a favor and turn into Adult!Vivio now, please? Just to make this even more weird.

You know writers and animators, if you had transitioned this right to the point where they're all three in the bathtub and talk about their plans for the day, this would have been a lot less weird. Instead we get a totally pointless fanservice scene with boob inflation.

Edited by majestic
  • Like 1

On 12/11/2021 at 6:54 AM, majestic said:

Hello, I'm Nove, and I'll be your waitress at Hooter's today. Are you ready to order? [also everything else in your post]

I need like...a "LMAO" emoticon. Let me search the Steam community market real quick here...

Is it "Einhart" or "Einhard"? You spelled it the latter way twice, then the former like four times. I'm pretty sure Einhart is like an ancient male Germanic name...

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Haha 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

7 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

I need like...a "LMAO" emoticon. Let me search the Steam community market real quick here...

Ah, there we go: PJnxPPw.png

Alternatively: rQPpHK4.png

Is it "Einhart" or "Einhard"? You spelled it the latter way twice, then the former like four times. I'm pretty sure Einhart is like an ancient male Germanic name...

I went with Einhard since I misread what was on the character chart that Mr. Tiddies used (there it's not very helpfully Einhalt and a bit small, so my brain made Einhard out of it), but in the show it's really Einhart, but I also edited that in at some point. I edited  that post like fifteen times. :p

edit:

The episode title has her full name:

MFz0zTg.png

So technically, that's Ainharuto Sutoratosu, Japanese being what it is.

Edited by majestic
  • Like 1

Episode 7 of Kitten Samurai:

The first 5 minutes of this episode were Myao trying to get the attention of a handsome samurai flying a kite on a beach. Why is he flying a kite? Well, that's what she wants to know - turns out, it's because he's a little bit of a scientist as well, and is trying to collect the energy of a lightning bolt from the kite into some sort of contraption he's made. He tries to explain how lightning works to Myao, but it's futile because she's simply too dumb - she keeps trying to relate basic concepts that she does know to the things he's saying, but literally everything she thinks is all wrong. The next scene is of her then trying to explain electricity to Ran and saying it's essentially a miracle solution for everything, :facepalm:.

(e):

Spoiler

Predictably, it ends with everyone but Ran getting struck by lightning while they're gathered around the kite contraption and Ran ugly-laughing at them. Brutal.

Episode 8 of Sake Hunter Ran: Myao broke her neck.

mpc-hc64_hGifKlVsM0.png

mpc-hc64_xrmzmAMjG9.png

...As you can see. Yup, that's the episode premise.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1

I think I'll have to check that anime out eventually. Sounds like it's fun, plus it's really short. :)

Third episode of Nanoha Vivid isn't so bad. Almost all of the Numbers (at least all who took the offer of rehabilitation instead of imprisonment, so Quattro is thankfully absent) showed up to observe the meeting between Einhart and Vivio. Einhart has the memories of former Hegemon Claus Ingvald (eh, okay), who wasn't so much in love with or married to Vivio (Queen Olivie, of whom Vivio is a clone) as much as they grew up together, with Olivie being a political hostage at the time. Great, so this sort of maybe romance between the two isn't weird in the sense that one is an ancient descendant of the other, but it's still weird.

No, scratch that, this episode isn't "not so bad", that's just moments that aren't terrible.

So far there are two things this show is about. The first:

9DlOtVI.png

Understanding new people you meet, one punch at a time!

And the other:

5xj5qv.jpg

Sure, the other seasons had their share of useless fanservice, including a terrible boob rub and loli-moments in a changing room, but the series were never this bad in addition to being fanservicey.

On the bright side, and that's not much, Vivio's voice no longer feels like someone pounding down my eardrums. I don't know if something was wrong with the audio of the first episode or if that is because she stopped narrating in this incredibly toad-like voice or if I just got used to it. The audio quality of this isn't so great in general. Everything about the production quality of this series is bad. Let's see how much worse it can get, huh?

edit:

Einhart's adult transformation is worse than Vivio's, and that really took some doing. Who let the perv gang animate this?

Edited by majestic
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, majestic said:

Who let the perv gang animate this?

SEEl-SKwS2cfW9o8M80jR176mcOPPz0m8MqnuUId

• Gasp! 2

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Yeah, well...

56 minutes ago, KP on top of ZA WARUDO said:

SEEl-SKwS2cfW9o8M80jR176mcOPPz0m8MqnuUId

I don't think Steins;Gate Zero can be any worse than Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha Vivid. I'm at a loss here, really.

Episode four sends the new cast to an uninhabited planet one of the antagonists of the last season exiled herself to. The entire time during StrikerS she was a calm and collected young girl with powerful summoning abilities who always spoke softly and somewhat quietly. Not unable or afraid to speak, just quiet. Sure did a full 180° and is the liveliest, high pitched screaming at the top of her lungs, character on the show, and totally happy people are coming to visit her. I'd buy her disposition being improved after Fate saved her mother last season, but really, that's just ridiculous.

She even, ahem, completely remodelled open air hot springs for them. You know, on the formerly uninhabited planet she's just living in exile on. Remodelled hot springs, as if the planet was a holiday resort. The real reason there are suddenly hot springs is of course to have her naked in the water, and the scene is paused right now so I can make this post, because I'm "predicting" that everyone else will be naked and in the hot springs before long too.

I can only hope not. This series and hot springs are a bad combination.

According to IMBD, this was written by the same person that wrote two episodes of the first season, all of A's, and all of StrikerS. That can't be right, can it? So, time to see how many of them get naked and in the hot springs. Yay!

edit:

Well, so far they just went into the river to punch water. That's... better than anticipated. But the episodes ended and they're still on the planet, so plenty of time left.

Edited by majestic

4 minutes ago, majestic said:

I don't think Steins;Gate Zero can be any worse than Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha Vivid. I'm at a loss here, really.

I thought it was noticeably worse than Steins;Gate, but from what you've posted about Nanoha that's probably true. Even with the increased cheesecake and Faris Nyan-Nyan.

Diamond is Unbreakable 3-5: The Nijimura (probably not how it's spelled) Brothers. We get the third of the main Morioh crew, the dumbass who makes POLANEREFFU look smart. There's also some army men, a giant egg, one of DIO's victims, and Red Hot Chilli Pepper. Very good and very weird.

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, KP on top of ZA WARUDO said:

I thought it was noticeably worse than Steins;Gate, but from what you've posted about Nanoha that's probably true. Even with the increased cheesecake and Faris Nyan-Nyan.

Not all of it. Episode five of the first season was worse than anything in Steins;Gate, however the other episodes were all right. StrikerS, when it wasn't doing fanservice or falling apart at the end, I'd even call fantastic - for what it was, a military sci-fi mahou shoujo show with a decent balance between character moments (most of which were not slice of life character moments, make no mistake here, they're all living on the military base and mostly concerns the teambuilding) and action. It was fun, in an entertaining way, not in a comedic way, fast paced and not nearly as melancholic as the two preceeding seasons, and was pretty well written*, at least for 20 of its 26 episodes. The ending does a Sailor Moon / JRPG bit where it suddenly expands in scope to ridiculous end of the world levels, but even then there's only one episode I would say was below average, and that only because it dumped a lot of exposition that could have been worked into the episodes a little more naturally.

There's much more to complain about in Vivid than the increasingly creepy transformation sequences or the shounen moments, these were just the primary focus because it's easy to explain them without prior knowlede of the series.

Vivid really is the SuperS of the franchise. The old recurring characters are behaving differently than before, are speaking so noticably different than before that I have a hard time believing they're still the same voice cast (I only know for Vivio because I looked it up, haven't checked for the others), Vivio's narration is still ear piercing (she does that every now and then, it was gone for a bit, then came back). Everyone is also kind of the same, energetic, loud, childish, even Nanoha who was for the first three seasons the wise beyond her years sort of girl that always makes sensible choices.

Where the first season and A's leaned a bit too hard into feeling melancholic, Vivid is trying too hard to be funny. Even the character moments that are there every now and then feel phony with that terrible voice direction.

It's not just bad, it's awful, and was directed by someone else and very noticably animated by a different studio, and apparently it'll get even worse, because...

Set four years after StrikerS, the series focuses on Nanoha's adopted daughter, Vivio Takamachi, as she participates in magical tournaments.

Emphasis is mine.

I wondered for a bit now where this is going, because at four episodes in, there's no plot yet. I mean, really, nothing. Except Einhart having attacked combat specialists on the street to see who is stronger, and that stopped in the second episode after Nove hurt her enough to collapse. Since then we're more or less focussing on Einahrt and Vivio growing closer and occassionally punching each other, which sounds fine on paper but really is just bad. Bad. Bad, bad!

And if Wikipedia is right, and why wouldn't it be, it'll cap the show off with a magical martial arts tournament.

Good thing there's only one season left after this, and that's a spinoff focusing on someone else, a martial artist fighting to... become stronger.

*In the sense that the plot, for the most part, did not feel completely ridiculous, the characters behaved consistently and within their established personalities, when changes happen they make sense, the exposition happens - by far and large - naturally in a way that makes sense, nothing it too stupid which is quite a feat given the ridiculous setting, a lot of time is spent on building the team and everything they achieve feels earned, plus there was a good deal of care taken to establish the setting and think about how things should work, what makes sense and why things are the way they are.

The story promises more than it can keep, in the end, but that's something else.

Edited by majestic
  • Gasp! 1

8 minutes ago, majestic said:

Not all of it. Episode five of the first season was worse than anything in Steins;Gate, however the other episodes were all right. StrikerS, when it wasn't doing fanservice or falling apart at the end, I'd even call fantastic - for what it was, a military sci-fi mahou shoujo show with a decent balance between character moments (most of which were not slice of life character moments, make no mistake here, they're all living on the military base and mostly concerns the teambuilding) and action. It was fun, in an entertaining way, not in a comedic way, fast paced and not nearly as melancholic as the two preceeding seasons, and was pretty well written*, at least for 20 of its 26 episodes. The ending does a Sailor Moon / JRPG bit where it suddenly expands in scope to ridiculous end of the world levels, but even then there's only one episode I would say was below average, and that only because it dumped a lot of exposition that could have been worked into the episodes a little more naturally.

There's much more to complain about in Vivid than the increasingly creepy transformation sequences or the shounen moments, these were just the primary focus because it's easy to explain them without prior knowlede of the series.

Vivid really is the SuperS of the franchise. The old recurring characters are behaving differently than before, are speaking so noticably different than before that I have a hard time believing they're still the same voice cast (I only know for Vivio because I looked it up, haven't checked for the others), Vivio's narration is still ear piercing (she does that every now and then, it was gone for a bit, then came back). Everyone is also kind of the same, energetic, loud, childish, even Nanoha who was for the first three seasons the wise beyond her years sort of girl that always makes sensible choices.

Where the first season and A's leaned a bit too hard into feeling melancholic, Vivid is trying too hard to be funny. Even the character moments that are there every now and then feel phony with that terrible voice direction.

It's not just bad, it's awful, and was directed by someone else and very noticably animated by a different studio, and apparently it'll get even worse, because...

Emphasis is mine.

I wondered for a bit now where this is going, because at four episodes in, there's no plot yet. I mean, really, nothing. Except Einhart having attacked combat specialists on the street to see who is stronger, and that stopped in the second episode after Nove hurt her enough to collapse. Since then we're more or less focussing on Einahrt and Vivio growing closer and occassionally punching each other, which sounds fine on paper but really is just bad. Bad. Bad, bad!

And if Wikipedia is right, and why wouldn't it be, it'll cap the show off with a magical martial arts tournament.

Good thing there's only one season left after this, and that's a spinoff focusing on someone else, a martial artist fighting to... become stronger.

*In the sense that the plot, for the most part, did not feel completely ridiculous, the characters behaved consistently and within their established personalities, when changes happen they make sense, the exposition happens - by far and large - naturally in a way that makes sense, nothing it too stupid which is quite a feat given the ridiculous setting, a lot of time is spent on building the team and everything they achieve feels earned, plus there was a good deal of care taken to establish the setting and think about how things should work, what makes sense and why things are the way they are.

The story promises more than it can keep, in the end, but that's something else.

I'll take your word for it, but between the (underage?) fanservice and the tournament arc I'm not going to watch it.

10 minutes ago, majestic said:

end of the world

3e9.png

8 hours ago, KP on top of ZA WARUDO said:

I'll take your word for it, but between the (underage?) fanservice and the tournament arc I'm not going to watch it.

StrikerS does very little of the former (the girls are aged up in StrikerS, I mean... fanservice is still there, of course) and has none of the latter, but who am I to argue when it comes to starting in the middle and stopping. :p

Yeah, not gonna lie, those transformation scenes are really borderline, and episode five is beyond that.

Edited by majestic
  • Gasp! 1

17 hours ago, majestic said:

I think I'll have to check that anime out eventually. Sounds like it's fun, plus it's really short.

Yeah, I really don't know if I can recommend it to you, because I don't know whether I should like it in the first place myself, even though I do. It's not fan service-y, but boy, it is so dumb in many other ways. The first episode especially was like "what in the world is this...". Still, it must be doing something right for me to like it...right? That, or I'm simply susceptible to a certain type of appealing garbage - either way, :p.

Nanoha: Are you ready to be done with Nanoha yet? :ban:

Diamond is unbreakable 18-24

These were pretty good episodes. Some fun, others bizarre and the first confrontation with the villain.

Shigechi’s Harvesto is quite powerful, probably fueled by the boy’s ambition and greed.

In the Cinderella episode the villain appeared as a suspicious man walking nearby. I though: could he be the “B-berry Pooriti!” guy destroyed by Tomoko in the first episode? He is not, but that would have been funny.

5xlzx4.jpg

Spoiler

Cinderella was actually a Stando Butcher, if you ask me.

Yukako’s plans are ruined when everyone wants to go with Koichi. Even Joseph and Stando baby showed up. WTF? 😂

Later, Kira’s day is ruined when Shigechi steals his “girlfriend”. 🙁

“She is getting a bit ripe.” I wonder why.

Kira started his “career” 15 years earlier. The same time Joseph was in Japan?

Shigechi was annoying, but he didn’t deserve to die. Perhaps he would have lived if those girls with the basketball had more than two neurons and noticed his state. :facepalm:

Koichi, why did you mention stopping time? Great way to reveal a secret to your enemy.

When Jotaru stopped time, I would have thrown the bomb in the direction where Kira was hiding. It would have exploded, but who knows if it would hurt Kira.

Koichi did well defeating Sheer Heart Attack. His stand must have all kinds of sound based abilities, maybe even being able to keep things away with acoustic levitation or creating a resonance to shatter glass and other objects. Who knows?

Kira being humiliated by those bullies. Well done Koichi.🤣 So, you can distract Kira by fighting without shoes and wearing your socks inside-out?🤔

Josuke was awesome in this episode. Didn’t fall for Kira’s acting and sent the bomb back to him. Unfortunately, so was Kira, changing his appearance.

This also had one of the most bizarre moments in the entire series so far! A dog survived an encounter with the main villain!

shocked.jpg

Edited by InsaneCommander
  • Like 1

sign.jpg

15 minutes ago, InsaneCommander said:

Diamond is unbreakable 18-24

These were pretty good episodes. Some fun, others bizarre and the first confrontation with the villain.

Shigechi’s Harvesto is quite powerful, probably fueled by the boy’s ambition and greed.

In the Cinderella episode the villain appeared as a suspicious man walking nearby. I though: could he be the “B-berry Pooriti!” guy destroyed by Tomoko in the first episode? He is not, but that would have been funny.

5xlzx4.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

Cinderella was actually a Stando Butcher, if you ask me.

Yukako’s plans are ruined when everyone wants to go with Koichi. Even Joseph and Stando baby showed up. WTF? 😂

Later, Kira’s day is ruined when Shigechi steals his “girlfriend”. 🙁

“She is getting a bit ripe.” I wonder why.

Kira started his “career” 15 years earlier. The same time Joseph was in Japan?

Shigechi was annoying, but he didn’t deserve to die. Perhaps he would have lived if those girls with the basketball had more than two neurons and noticed his state. :facepalm:

Koichi, why did you mention stopping time? Great way to reveal a secret to your enemy.

When Jotaru stopped time, I would have thrown the bomb in the direction where Kira was hiding. It would have exploded, but who knows if it would hurt Kira.

Koichi did well defeating Sheer Heart Attack. His stand must have all kinds of sound based abilities, maybe even being able to keep things away with acoustic levitation or creating a resonance to shatter glass and other objects. Who knows?

Kira being humiliated by those bullies. Well done Koichi.🤣 So, you can distract Kira by fighting without shoes and wearing your socks inside-out?🤔

Josuke was awesome in this episode. Didn’t fall for Kira’s acting and sent the bomb back to him. Unfortunately, so was Kira, changing his appearance.

This also had one of the most bizarre moments in the entire series so far! A dog survived an encounter with the main villain!

shocked.jpg

That is bizarre, but remember Kars killed a couple of guys to stop them from running over a dog.

Kira is creepy and his first appearance has him doing some unsanitary things with his "girlfriend" and murdering a child. Then he changes Koichi's socks. Overall I think he's an interesting change from Dio Brando, Kars, and DIO.

Just wait until Kira's dad shows up.

• Gasp! 1

Yeah, I really don't know if I can recommend it to you, because I don't know whether I should like it in the first place myself, even though I do. It's not fan service-y, but boy, it is so dumb in many other ways. The first episode especially was like "what in the world is this...". Still, it must be doing something right for me to like it...right? That, or I'm simply susceptible to a certain type of appealing garbage - either way, :p.

It seems like the same sort of silly fun you fairly consistently rejected before, so no, I'm not sure you should like it either. Must be some really good garbage then, hence my curiosity. :p

Nanoha: Are you ready to be done with Nanoha yet? :ban:

Funny how that went in stages.

After the first four episodes I thought "Okay, so the transformation sequences were made by and for perverts, but that's something I can tell myself is a genre convention and leave it at that." After the fifth episode, I was regretting every life decision I ever made, but then decided to pretend it doesn't exist and actually enjoyed the rest of the season. Ended up liking A's and - that's kind of the weird thing now - loving (probably more than I should) StrikerS.

I complained about certain elements, like the turn based feel of the battles and the action not being all too interesting and too plentiful, but overall, and that's something that Vivid made me realize, I actually like Nanoha, Fate, Hayate and the gang. I like Fate in spite of her being set up as this woobie who gets abused by her mother and the ridiculous shipping fuel "sort of, maybe" romance she has with Nanoha. They'd be a nice couple and one of the variety where nobody ever complains or comments on and where they'd just be, like, a normal couple, but the problem is that StrikerS waffles around being intentionally non-commital in an effort to encourage shipper discussions. So instead they're head-canon lesbians of people who post things like "Hey, they have sex with each other!", and I know I already complained about that.

Vivid has them living together in a house, so that I can take as confirmation, probably, but Vivid is about an alien copy of the characters I used to like. They vaguely look like them (but really only vaguely, there's better fan art than this), but their behaviour is a mere approximation. I guess you haven't seen the Voyager episode where a copy of the holographic doctor is turned on 700 years in the future of a planet Voyager visited and is confronted with a completely warped view of what his crewmates and friends were (and for him, no time has passed, obviously), but Vivid makes me feel how the good doctor must have. Vivid was made by people who had only incomplete access to very degraded copies of the original show, and they crafted a replica of what they thought Nanoha was like. That must be it, yes.

Magical Girl Lyrical NANOHA The MOVIE 1st made me want to pause the series, but 2nd A's was pretty decent, if still not providing a reason to watch it over the series.

With Vivid now, the answer to that question becomes: Oh boy, am I ever. All it took were four episodes. It took SuperS a good deal longer to make me want to delete everything Sailor Moon from my brain, but Sailor Moon was a good deal better than the Nanoha franchise as a whole, even though that's tough to compare. They're both a magical girl series, but they're worlds apart in the same way Columbo and X-Files are. Both are about solving crimes, right?

Eh, and StrikerS is pretty much its own thing. It's closer to a superhero TV show in a futuristic sci-fi setting than a magical girl show. That is what I meant with it's more comparable to Agents of SHIELD than any other anime I've watched.

Edited by majestic
  • Like 1

I guess you haven't seen the Voyager episode where a copy of the holographic doctor is turned on 700 years in the future of a planet Voyager visited and is confronted with a completely warped view of what his crewmates and friends were (and for him, no time has passed, obviously), but Vivid makes me feel how the good doctor must have.

Actually, I think I have seen that episode of Voyager. I've seen a small number of episodes of the original series (probably around 10), a great deal many episodes of The Next Generation, and probably like...a third of Voyager - but in random pieces spread throughout the entire show's run.

It's funny that your favorite part of the series is SuperS...er, excuse me, StrikerS, :shifty:.

so that I can take as confirmation, probably

Man, it's too bad Crystal didn't do the right thing and make Makoto and Ami a couple so that it could confirm some of your long-held shipping beliefs, right? That would've been great. Well, hey, Crystal still has to cover the final arc, right? :)

Hopefully Vivid will end this great run while being everything you've ever dreamed...

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Gasp! 1

5 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

It's funny that your favorite part of the series is SuperS...er, excuse me, StrikerS, :shifty:.

Strange, huh? :p

6 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

Man, it's too bad Crystal didn't do the right thing and make Makoto and Ami a couple so that it could confirm some of your long-held shipping beliefs, right? That would've been great. Well, hey, Crystal still has to cover the final arc, right? :)

I once spent two hours or so coming up with a totally crazy post about that particular ship that I now tried to find but can't, because the forum software refuses to find it, and I've tried Makoto, Amishipper and shippers as well as subtle as search terms, and that should suffice to make it appear. It really didn't. I'm 100% certain the post contains at least one of these words (if not all of them).

For what its worth, I really hope they don't make a Stars adaptation. Hopefully Eternal bombed hard enough. I did find my post complaining about the Eternal films, by the way, those were funny, but really... nice to be reminded that Artemis isn't really just a cat. Yikes.

I also paused Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha Vivid at 11:38 into the fifth episode. Because it's the fith episode, and Lutecia just invited all the girls to the hot springs. I should just skip ahead, really, but I can't. Please don't let this be as bad as the original hot springs scene. Please.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, majestic said:

:x

Is it "I don't like you. Die!" bad?

• Sad 1

22 minutes ago, KP on top of ZA WARUDO said:

Is it "I don't like you. Die!" bad?

This is a part of the scene. It's the only one I can post without getting banned but it's super helpful in showing just how terrible Vivid really is.

YLM5glb.png

One of Vivio's friends kicks the ever living daylights out of Sein (Number VI).

First of all, that drags on forever and ever. It starts at 11:40 and only ends at 20:30. No, I'm not kidding. There's nine minutes of everyone present, except Fate and Nanoha because they're off doing something else (and who can blame them) being stark naked in the hot springs. After a while, Sein shows up. Her cyborg combat power is phase walking, i.e. she can walk through solid matter if she so wants.

Last season she used that to infiltrate enemy bases and to take out the enemy's CIC during their attack, leaving the Space Cops unable to put up a coordinated defense. Here, in Vivid, she uses it to... grope the girls from below the hot springs, who then jump out of the water and hold whatever it was Sein touched (ranges from breasts to buttocks... or worse) and yelling "Something brushed up to me".

At lest until Chun-Li here transforms and kicks her so hard she launches into the air.

Lutecia, the formerly quiet and reserved girl in exile threatens to sue her for being bad for business (is that supposed to be funny? What business?) while the others helpfully explain to her that sexual assault isn't fun. It then continues with Sein stripping down and joining everyone and agreeing to cook dinner and make breakfast for everyone in order to apologize.

So, no, this isn't "I don't like you, die!" kind of bad. This is "I'm going to hang myself, see ya!" bad.

Edited by majestic
  • Haha 1
  • Gasp! 1

5 hours ago, KP on top of ZA WARUDO said:

That is bizarre, but remember Kars killed a couple of guys to stop them from running over a dog.

Hide contents

Kira is creepy and his first appearance has him doing some unsanitary things with his "girlfriend" and murdering a child. Then he changes Koichi's socks. Overall I think he's an interesting change from Dio Brando, Kars, and DIO.

Just wait until Kira's dad shows up.

Spoiler

bd-07000-1090px.jpg

And that is why

Spoiler

Kars can' return. He would kill all of the other villains.

Investigating and trying to find a murderer is also a good change.

Diamond is unbreakable 25-30

Spoiler

Oh s***, he took the place of a guy who had a family.

Where is Joseph and his Hermit Purple? Didn’t he come to Morioh to find a villain? Stop babysitting. 😂

Kira’s father died during Stardust Crusaders’ year. Again, some weird coincidences with the dates.🤔

Rohan: “It’s the ****bag Josuke, the idiot Okuyasu and the moody Yukako.” 🤣

And why are the three of them together? I thought Josuke and Okuyasu didn’t want anything to do with that psycho.

Janken po boy attacks, but Stando baby saves the day.

Vampires, ghosts and now aliens. Or is it a Stando Dice?

The boy is spying on his parents? I hope it started because he suspected something is wrong and not because he was doing it before.

Highway Star: it was obvious that Josuke would heal him and beat him again. 🤣

Stando Catplant (!) can’t even move, but beats the villain!🙀

Edited by InsaneCommander
  • Like 1

sign.jpg