Anime - Magical Girl Anime Thread, hajimarimasu!

majestic

4 minutes ago, Sarex said:

It's not Netflix that producing it and the Japanese are very traditional, so I think it would take a lot of convincing to get them to release it all at once. Besides I don't know how many anime watchers in JP use Netflix versus cable network TV.

You're right, but Netflix could do the same thing they do for shows the BBC produces and release it all at once after the final episode of the season airs. I guess they're trying to emulate the streaming services that do same or next day anime episodes.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

1 hour ago, KP the meanie zucchini said:

You're right, but Netflix could do the same thing they do for shows the BBC produces and release it all at once after the final episode of the season airs. I guess they're trying to emulate the streaming services that do same or next day anime episodes.

Probably trying to get ahead of the fansub scene.

• Gasp! 2

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

9 minutes ago, Sarex said:

Probably trying to get ahead of the fansub scene.

And apparently doing a worse job lmao

• Sad 2

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

28 minutes ago, KP the meanie zucchini said:

And apparently doing a worse job lmao

This is the case more often than not, be it for anime or manga. Then again some fans have started doing machine translation for some series that no pro wants to pick up.

• Gasp! 1

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

@KP the meanie zucchiniYes, Phantom Blood does look "bad" in comparison. And I completely agree about JoJo and the antagonist.

JoJo 12:

Santanaaaaaa!

Spoiler

JoJo's disguise epic fails. Stronheim overacts. And Santana wins the contortionist's gold medal.

Episode 13:

JoJo doesn't waste any time to freak out.

Spoiler

His ass is indirectly kicked by Zeppeli, who kiss a pigeon.

Each new character is more powerful than the previous one. This is gonna escalate quickly, right? JoJo is really fast, can teleport objects or I should stop overanalysing his powers.

Edited by InsaneCommander
  • Like 1

sign.jpg

1 hour ago, InsaneCommander said:

. This is gonna escalate quickly, right?

Yes.

But no power creep after Battle Tendency, so JoJo won't go Dragon Ball tier and start destroying planets.

• Gasp! 1

6 hours ago, KP the meanie zucchini said:

Komi Can't Communicate 2: 2 friends made, 98 to go.

I liked this one better than the first. I'm not sure why Tadano struggles so much to just say Komi can't talk, but I guess that wouldn't matter because this high school is crazy. I guess it's a week until the next episode drops.

First, for me that was the other way around. While the first episode had a redeeming scene that I thought worked perfectly, this just had nothing that really worked for me. Unlike the first episode, which waffled between me disliking it and findig a scene brilliant, this one just did nothing, except cringe at the Bokukko dialogue.

Second, the weekly format is a godsend here. When I overload my capacity to decide on entertainment, I more or less get into not watching anything at all. I'm way past that point, and I deliberately moved myself there by starting too much at once. Mostly to avoid watching Lady Asuka. Ugh.

Having my watch schedule decided on me means I don't have to worry about getting Komi Can't Communicate done. Now... well, maybe the next episode(s) will be more interesting.

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

24 minutes ago, majestic said:

Second, the weekly format is a godsend here. When I overload my capacity to decide on entertainment, I more or less get into not watching anything at all. I'm way past that point, and I deliberately moved myself there by starting too much at once. Mostly to avoid watching Lady Asuka. Ugh.

If you're forcing yourself to watch a show that you don't care for/actively dislike, I can see the weekly episode format being a great help for getting through it.

46 minutes ago, Sarex said:

Kiki's Delivery Service. Back to form, really liked this one too. Really heartwarming and sweet.

I think I have that ranked as my third favorite Miyazaki film, after Totoro and Howl's Moving Castle (even though the latter has some very big flaws)...and maaaybe Nausicaa - they're pretty close.

• Hmmm 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

3 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

If you're forcing yourself to watch a show that you don't care for/actively dislike, I can see the weekly episode format being a great help for getting through it.

Forcing myself implies an act of will I don't want to ascribe to my particular brand of needing to finish watching TV shows/movies or finish reading books, but yes, indeed. It's so much easier. It limits exposure and since it can't go any faster, doesn't cause other issues.

Would have been smarter not to watch, but hey... I'm not really the best deciderer (or choicerer... heh, randomly hat to think of Will Ferrell as Bush) when it comes to what I watch, right?

• Like 1

Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha A's, Episode 3:

A very welcome break after the nonstop action of episode two, in this one things quiet down. Everyone's licking their wounds, Nanoha's and Fate's weapons get repaired and there are a whole lot of nice interactions. It was a rather well made but still serious episode, but like it was clear from the very start, this isn't ever going to be a funny or comedic show, and that's fine (for me, anyway).

There's some exposition about the tech the enemies in this season are using, and both Raising Heart and Bardiche decide that they want to get mana power packs too.

Fate, Lindy and Chrono come to a very personal decision, and they relocate their base next to Nanoha's house, for plot convenience and to save up on having to animate space ships and the Space Cop bureau all the time. I mean, because their ship is moored for maintenance.

The Linker Core McGuffin turned out to be a mage's power supply, removing Nanoha's has given her temporary negative levels, but she'll regain her magical ability soon enough. Could have called it a mana drain ability of the Book of Darkness and it would have been a good bit better, I mean, seriously, why call it a Linker Core and present it as a silly McGuffin when you already established mana-levels as a measurement of mage power, just make the book absorb mana.

There was also a nice scene with the antagonists and everyone caring for Hayate. Even managed to sneak in a semi-fanservice scene that wasn't totally offensive because it was pretty short, not very explicit and Hayate really would have a hard time getting into a bathtub herself. Actually it wasn't even that fanservice-y. It was mostly like Chibi-Usa and Usagi taking a bath in Sailor Moon and talking to each other. It wasn't necessary to set it like that, strictly speaking, but I already steeled myself for a nother round of nightmarish loli-content when they suddenly told Hayata that it's time for her bath, and while that still could happen, I was pleasantly surprised to find it a really understated scene. Phew.

Very strong first hint that the bad guys aren't as bad as they seem. If this keeps up being as honest as it looks, they're probably just looking into a way to heal Hayate, or are otherwise making a deal with some unsavory group to buy healing for Hayate.

edit:

Let me know if anyone ever plans on watching the anime, then I'll start to spoiler-tag things in my posts.

Edited by majestic

28 minutes ago, majestic said:

Let me know if anyone ever plans on watching the anime, then I'll start to spoiler-tag things in my posts.

Pretty sure you're good, :p. Can't imagine there's much of an audience in here for a strange magical girl shoujo-seinen fusion...

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

3 hours ago, majestic said:

First, for me that was the other way around. While the first episode had a redeeming scene that I thought worked perfectly, this just had nothing that really worked for me. Unlike the first episode, which waffled between me disliking it and findig a scene brilliant, this one just did nothing, except cringe at the Bokukko dialogue.

Having my watch schedule decided on me means I don't have to worry about getting Komi Can't Communicate done. Now... well, maybe the next episode(s) will be more interesting.

For me, I usually give half-hour shows 3 to 5 episodes before I decide if I want to watch it or not and I like to watch at my own pace. The former isn't an issue with KCC, but the latter is an issue right now.

Started watching something called 'Claymore'. Not bad so far, but only finished watching the first episode. With a total  of26 episodes, plenty of time for me to change my mind. But off to a good start at least.

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

9 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

Pretty sure you're good, :p. Can't imagine there's much of an audience in here for a strange magical girl shoujo-seinen fusion...

No, not in here, but apparently it was popular enough to spawn several seasons and movies. Baffling, really, because it has a bit of the anime X problem (the manga was apparently popular enough). Except being less over the place in terms of writing quality, style and storytelling. I mean, that sounds as "except everything" and that's not wrong, but at its core Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha feels like one of these shows that only I really like. Except it isn't.

Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha, Episode 4

Was really good too. It's interesting how much better the show is when it's not all action, but it ends with a fight starting, so I'm guessing episode five is going to be all combat again, but they've cornered one of the Belkan Knights and their familiar in an isolation barrier, so maybe that'll be over quickly.

Fate and Nanoha get their upgraded devices, Nanoha is back to full magical power, which begs the question why the bad guys don't simply keep a magical girl around to drain mana from, or don't just keep draining themselves, that would complete the book and nobody would notice their activities. Alas, never let a plot hole stop you, I mean, it's not like Sailor Moon wasn't stupid in the bad guys always attacking Tokyo instead of literally anyplace else without a Guardian or ten.

The music contines to feel as if it was taken directly from an older Final Fantasy's combat score. Upgraded devices also means upgraded, longer transformation scenes that feel way too extended now that Fate was added to the protagonists, as she has a full transformation sequence too. They also continue the "tradition" of being a bit overboard with the way they change their clothes. Fate's is really borderline, because I don't see a reason why Bardiche summons her boots on her before the one piece unitard she wears in combat except for one: Extending the time she's nude, and OMG NUDE FATE WITH ONLY BOOTS ON. But... what use is there complaining. Honestly, as long as it's just that, it's... fine. This is fine.

It's kind of hilarious, we complained about the length of a full team transformation sequence in Sailor Moon, and Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha's take the same time, just with two.

Dropkick on my Devil!, Episode 4.

This keeps on being an wonderful mix of absurdist moments, fourth wall breaking jokes and absolutely fantastic, if totally dysfunctional, character moments between Medusa and Jashin. Medusa wearing a paper bag when outside also never fails to make me laugh. If there's one thing to complain about so far is that the show doesn't do too much with Pekola and Minos. Yet, maybe, but there are only eight episodes left and Medusa and Jashin have gotten the majority of interactions so far.

For the record, this has three and a half stars on Prime Video, while Lady Asuka has a straight five star rating.

Also managed to get another Steins;Gate episode in, and...

Spoiler

Daru is really Suzuha's father.

Steins;Gate is also really getting on my nerves with character fates being fixed moments in time and the timelines correcting itself so they die when they're meant to.

• Like 1

JoJo 12 and 13: Santana and Stroheim.

Stroheim's laugh is even more of a meme than Hououin Kyouma.

laughing-stroheim.gif

• Haha 2

Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha A's, Episode 5.

This one borrows a trick from a very old playbook. Nanoha and Fate are winning until a masked man shows up and helps the Belkan Knights escape. Not sure why Tuxedo Mask is fighting on the bad guy's side, but he told Chrono that he's doing to right thing. Sure, why not.

Hayate isn't just paralyzed, she has some sort of degenerative neuroligical condition. Not sure why interdimensional mages with access to more developed planets would let that be treated on Earth, but hey, maybe Hayate was a normal girl until the Book of Darkness showed up. Hayate doesn't seem to be aware of her friends... occupation, at least, which is pretty odd when they all consider her their leader, master, or whatever.

True to form, with much of the episode dedicated to action, it was much less interesting than the two before.

20 hours ago, Gorth said:

Started watching something called 'CRAYMORE'. Not bad so far, but only finished watching the first episode. With a total  of26 episodes, plenty of time for me to change my mind. But off to a good start at least.

Fixed that for you. :p

Edited by majestic
  • Haha 2

Laputa: Castle in the Sky

Not as good as I remembered, but I watched it a long time ago.

Still a solid one from Studio Ghibli.

20 hours ago, Gorth said:

Started watching something called 'Claymore'. Not bad so far, but only finished watching the first episode. With a total  of26 episodes, plenty of time for me to change my mind. But off to a good start at least.

This one is good. If you liked the first episode you will probably enjoy the rest.

People like to say they are always saying "tatakae" in Attack on Titan. They should watch Claymore.

• Like 1

sign.jpg

JoJo’s Bizarre Adventures

Episode 15: The three antagonists just want to go search for a gem and improve their bodybuilding, I guess. However our heroes won’t simply let them go.

Spoiler

Ceasar’s bubbles and JoJo’s balls are no match for Wham and JoJo vouches for monogamy.

9824d53e243d3d2868e1fc5bbfd8775660a2dbad

Episode 16: JoJo and Ceasar go have a nice vacation on a Venetian Island, where they are received by the sympathic Lisa Lisa and her welcoming personality.🙂

Obviously she will be a good host to them, right?

Lisa Lisa:

Spoiler

Lisa-Lisa3.png

Episode 17:

Spoiler

ACDC throws a tantrum and falls for JoJo’s tricks. This was too easy, Cars will probably be much smarter.

Edit:

Spoiler

That climbing trial was hilarious.

Edited by InsaneCommander
  • Like 1

sign.jpg

48 minutes ago, InsaneCommander said:

The three antagonists just want to go search for a gem and improve their bodybuilding, I guess.

Well when you've spent 10000 years at the gym, gains are hard to come by.

Hell Climb Pillar was funny, but Esidisi was something else.

tumblr_inline_p7q5ra9muP1rcxls4_500.gifv

Not to spoil too much but.....

Kars and Wammu are both smarter than AC/DC.

• Gasp! 1