Anime - Kono Dio Da!

Amentep

3 minutes ago, Sarex said:

Are you telling me you don't like this masterpiece.

Well, that was terrible.

Time to clear my mind with some of Love Life!'s wonderful J-POP!

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

8 minutes ago, majestic said:

Time to clear my mind with some of Love Life!'s wonderful J-POP!

I had to clear my cache after that one...

Joking aside I didn't like the music in Samurai C. Anime music I like are things like these.

Edited by Sarex

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

Sorry for getting you confused with Lexx! ...However, I got through somewhere between 30 and 60 seconds in each of those songs, and I think I liked most of what I've heard in Samurai Champloo more than literally anything you just linked there, so maybe I'm not that sorry after all, :p. ...The final Bleach song was real close, except for the fact that they used a vocalist that set off my misophonia - her voice is nails on chalkboard, :yes:. All the anime music I like is, as always, pre-2000s - I'm just an old soul in regards to all things Japanese, I guess. Heck, I've even come across some albums from some old shows/movies that I've never watched and never will (either because they look really bad or simply don't appeal to me and/or both in some cases) but I like the music, :shrugz:.

4 hours ago, majestic said:

Heh. Either Gorth or Amentep really removed the link to the image. So guys, let that tell you how bad that got then. Just in case you didn't catch it before it went buh byesies.

NAZI CENSORSHIP!

Spoiler

...Oh wait, I'm not Volourn. I love censorship.

I don't think I'll be watching Nanoha any time soon...or ever. While you may be O.K. with a show that tonally flips between something like Cardcaptor Sakura and...whatever the hell that was, I am not, :p. At least it's not being totally despicable all the time like the Magic User's Club?!

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Haha 2
  • Gasp! 3

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

It was me, I forgot the 'edited by' doesn't show up on these forums anymore.  I think it was a little much, even as a link hidden in spoiler tags.  

Meanwhile, been thinking about anime.  Looking forward to getting to Cobra (October is pretty much horror films for me when I watch anything, so I won't get to it until November - maybe I should have planned better and got a horror anime when I went looking).  Its been awhile since I've watched any (an incomplete run through the Fist of the North Star tv show that I really need to finish someday was the last thing I watched....yatatatatatatatatatatatata), but I remember back in the 90s how hard it was waiting for the next release of one of my favorite OAVs ever...

3 years for that final episode!  Harsh.  Might rewatch this during my Christmas break if I get time.

• Like 2
  • Gasp! 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

4 hours ago, Gorth said:

I know this isn't the comics thread, but if you like this kind of humour, I wonder if you've ever read Vaughn Bodē? The Lizard of Oz, Lizard Zen or anything else lizard related. Slightly less explicit than the above and definitely more psychedelic (not sure how else to describe a colourful comic featuring nude women and lizards ending up in amusing situations)

That sounds disgusting. I've got to check it out. 

2 hours ago, majestic said:

Aleph who bought herself a whole lot of dog food to w... wo... sorry, I have to, to wolf down

You chose violence.

52 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

BLM/ANTIFA SJW NAZI!

35 minutes ago, Amentep said:

maybe I should have planned better and got a horror anime when I went looking

I'm trying to think of a good one off hand and am coming up short. There's Ghost Stories, which is notable for having a very different dub. Or Hellsing, which is more action and features Dracula fighting nazis. Berserk (90s) is more fantasy, but there are some horror aspects to it. I guess Paranoia Agent can be considered horror as well.

• Hmmm 1
  • Gasp! 2

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

26 minutes ago, KP the meanie zucchini said:

I'm trying to think of a good one off hand and am coming up short. There's Ghost Stories, which is notable for having a very different dub. Or Hellsing, which is more action and features Dracula fighting nazis. Berserk (90s) is more fantasy, but there are some horror aspects to it. I guess Paranoia Agent can be considered horror as well.

Hellsing has been one that I've wanted to see, I'm sure I'll get around to it eventually.  Had I thought of it, I'd have looked for it for October, but I had a 'durrrrr' moment.  I've seen one of the Vampire Hunter D movies ages ago, I think the earlier one (there is only 2, right?) I'm a huge fan of Junji Ito's manga, but haven't seen any of the anime adaptions (Gyo and...Junji Ito Collection I think are the only ones out now? With the new Uzumaki adaption forthcoming?)  Are there any good Yokai animated series that veer towards horror (as opposed to the Yokai Watch adaptions that are essentially Pokemon, as I understand it)?

Is Ghost Stories also known as Ghost School (Gakkō no Kaidan aka School Ghost Stories)?

I have the first volume of the manga of Berserk, which is in my reading queue.  Dunno why, but I think I'm more interested in reading the manga than seeing the anime adaptions (I think a tv show in the 90s and a movie trilogy in the early 2010s?).  Its on my queue of translated manga to read.  Trying to catch up with Glepnir, then I'd planned on Disappearing Classroom (trying to get it in before the end of the month).  Then either Berzerk's first volume or the complete Dororo...leaning towards Berzerk.

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

32 minutes ago, KP the meanie zucchini said:

Now that you mention it, yeah, I can't think of one horror anime. It's mostly all either gore, psycho or just plain weird. Maybe it's hard to do cartoon horror. The only cartoon that really ever scared me outside of The Elm-Chanted Forest is Courage the Cowardly dog.

• Gasp! 1

1 hour ago, Bartimaeus said:

NAZI CENSORSHIP!

Yeah, really. Mods are all NAZIS, even the ones that aren't, because only NAZIS can be MODS. :yes:

Or something. I'm bad at being Volo.

Spoiler

I don't think I'll be watching Nanoha any time soon...or ever. While you may be O.K. with a show that tonally flips between something like Cardcaptor Sakura and...whatever the hell that was, I am not, :p. At least it's not being totally despicable all the time like the Magic User's Club?!

Spoiler

No, it's not constantly despicable like Magic User's Club. That moment last episode felt as if I was suddenly taken out of the anime I watched until this point and ended up in something like Hunie Pop without being told about it before. It was really, really weird and offensive. The rest of the episode had strange close ups on Alph's and Fate's butts too, for some reason, and then it was over and went back to being a worse Cardcaptor Sakura like magical girl anime with a bit more of a focus on action. 

So in closing, the amount - sheer volume - of embarrassing fanservice in Magic User's Club is much larger, the quality of it in Nanoha on the other hand is on an entirely different scale. In Magic User's Club, they stare at a character's large breasts and acidentially summon panties that land on Takeo's face. Nanoha was a couple of dots and a line (i.e. making the nude girls no longer have barbie doll anatomy) away from being X-rated for twenty seconds, then proceeded to show the girls in the bath with a towel and a sudden explosion of cup size from regular to DD, and then it was suddenly over and Nanoha's parents had a sweet and romantic moment near a pond.

Edited by majestic
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Hmmm 1
  • Gasp! 1

8 minutes ago, Amentep said:

Hellsing has been one that I've wanted to see, I'm sure I'll get around to it eventually. 

There's an anime and an OVA (called Hellsing Ultimate I think). I've only seen the latter, and it's extremely edgy but if you can deal with that kind of stuff it's pretty good.

I've seen one of the Vampire Hunter D movies ages ago, I think the earlier one (there is only 2, right?)

I've only seen one, where some vampire kidnaps a village girl to be his bride. I think that's the earlier one.

Are there any good Yokai animated series that veer towards horror (as opposed to the Yokai Watch adaptions that are essentially Pokemon, as I understand it)?

Mononoke is the only one I can recommend off the top of my head. The others that I've seen are not that great.

Is Ghost Stories also known as Ghost School (Gakkō no Kaidan aka School Ghost Stories)?

Yes.

I have the first volume of the manga of Berserk, which is in my reading queue.  Dunno why, but I think I'm more interested in reading the manga than seeing the anime adaptions (I think a tv show in the 90s and a movie trilogy in the early 2010s?).  Its on my queue of translated manga to read.  Trying to catch up with Glepnir, then I'd planned on Disappearing Classroom (trying to get it in before the end of the month).  Then either Berzerk's first volume or the complete Dororo...leaning towards Berzerk.

In my opinion for Berserk, the 90's anime is good, the movie trilogy is ok, the recent anime is awful, and the manga is some of the best I've read. If you're only going to read or watch it once, manga is the way to go.

3 minutes ago, Sarex said:

Now that you mention it, yeah, I can't think of one horror anime. It's mostly all either gore, psycho or just plain weird. Maybe it's hard to do cartoon horror. The only cartoon that really ever scared me outside of The Elm-Chanted Forest is Courage the Cowardly dog.

I loved Courage the Cowardly Dog as a kid. I haven't thought about it too much recently, but there was some stuff in there that was legitimately scary.

But yeah, straight horror anime is hard to think of.

3 minutes ago, majestic said:

Yeah, really. Mods are all NAZIS, even the ones that aren't, because only NAZIS can be MODS. :yes:

Or something. I'm bad at being Volo.

Reveal hidden contents

No, it's not constantly despicable like Magic User's Club. That moment last episode felt as if I was suddenly taken out of the anime I watched until this point and ended up in something like Hunie Pop without being told about it before. It was really, really weird and offensive. The rest of the episode had strange close ups on Alph's and Fate's butts too, for some reason, and then it was over and went back to being a worse Cardcaptor Sakura like magical girl anime with a bit more of a focus on action. 

So in closing, the amount - sheer volume - of embarrassing fanservice in Magic User's Club is much larger, the quality of it in Nanoha on the other hand is on an entirely different scale. In Magic User's Club, they stare at a characters large breasts and acidentially summon panties that land on Takeo's face. Nanoha was a couple of dots and a line (i.e. making the nude girls no longer have barbie doll anatomy) away from being X-rated for twenty seconds, then proceeded to show the girls in the bath with a towel and a sudden explosion of cup size from regular to DD.

Is that the one with the big tiddy glasses lady?

• Like 2

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

22 minutes ago, Amentep said:

Are there any good Yokai animated series that veer towards horror (as opposed to the Yokai Watch adaptions that are essentially Pokemon, as I understand it)?

xxxHolic and Noragami, but I would think xxxHolic is more on the "scary" side.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, KP the meanie zucchini said:

Is that the one with the big tiddy glasses lady?

Yes...

tumblr_orq8fp2UA91qijccyo1_500.gif

I once thought this was embarrassingly bad... oh, joy. Happier times.

Edited by majestic
  • Haha 3

Just now, majestic said:

Yes...

tumblr_orq8fp2UA91qijccyo1_500.gif

I once thought this was embarrassingly bad... oh, joy. Happier times.

I was honestly going to post that gif......or the tentacle one.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KP the meanie zucchini said:

I was honestly going to post that gif......or the tentacle one.

That's even from the same episode, if we're thinking about the same thing. The alien probe comes and wants to examine her... with its tentacle sensors.

• Hmmm 1
  • Gasp! 1

4 minutes ago, majestic said:

That's even from the same episode, if we're thinking about the same thing. The alien probe comes and wants to examine her... with its tentacle sensors.

02fa3d7ecfc7a00667d7c244f683357d.gif

• Haha 1

Another recommend. Komi Can't Communicate on netflix. It's a slice of life series about a popular girl in school who has a communication disorder. It's a very sweet and warm series, with some good laughs from time to time. Lot's of character development.

Again a disclaimer I only read the manga.

• Thanks 1
  • Gasp! 1

1 hour ago, Sarex said:

Another recommend. Komi Can't Communicate on netflix. It's a slice of life series about a popular girl in school who has a communication disorder. It's a very sweet and warm series, with some good laughs from time to time. Lot's of character development.

That sounds like a fantastic way for @Bartimaeus' to take one more step on his journey to appreciate modern anime. Erica: The series. xD

Disclaimer: Have not checked out anything about it yet. Just musing about, trying to be funny. :p

Edited by majestic

24 minutes ago, majestic said:

That sounds like a fantastic way for @Bartimaeus' to take one more step on his journey to appreciate modern anime. Erica: The series. xD

Disclaimer: Have not checked out anything about it yet. Just musing about, trying to be funny. :p

But at least it has character development in spades.

Samurai Champloo 1-4

This show is good. Really good. Highly recommended.

2 hours ago, Sarex said:

God damn, another one to watch before rewatching JoJo.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Gasp! 1
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, KP the meanie zucchini said:

Samurai Champloo 1-4

This show is good. Really good. Highly recommended.

God damn, another one to watch before rewatching JoJo.

Glad you like it. It has some slow episodes but it's a solid series all the way to the end.

• Gasp! 1

Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha, Episode 7.

Spoiler

Fate opens a dimensional gateway home to report back to her mother, who by all indication seems to be a terrible person. The show suddenly switches from Earth to the Interdimensional Patrol Ship Arthra of the Time-Space Administrative Bureau.

Well, Yuuno and the Jewel Seeds came from another planet, and Nanoha's magical thingmabob (called Raising Heart) is technology, not magic in a regular sense, but it's still a bit weird to actually switch locations to a spaceship in the middle of the show. Captain Lindy shows up, and the crew reports that the fighting between Nanoha and Fate is causing a dimensional something or another. Some technobabble.

Captain Lindy is voiced by none other than Sailor Mercury, otherwise also known as Kero... where she apparently dispatches a third techno-mage to deal with the distortions at their source.

Fate's mother Presea, in a twist that surprises absolutely no one, is Palpatine level displeased with the slow progress of her daugther, chains her up and whips her bloody. A couple of post back I said Fate and Nanoha are probably destined to team up against someone or something. Her mother seems like a very likely candidate at this point.

Alph can't deal with Fate's screaming and becomes agitated, when Fate comes back and almost collapses Alph is angry but Fate makes excuses like any good, abused child would. It's her fault, after all. These scenes are slightly undermined by Alph being a wolf girl in a crop top, but that is what it is, and after episode 5, I'll take that no questions asked. :yes:

Jewel Seed causes a tree to become a very unhappy Huorn, and Fate and Nanoha have to sort of team up to defeat it, but end up fighting each other. Chrono, the Space Cop enforcer, shows up and stops that nonsense.

Well, I'll say this for Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha, you never know what you'll get out of an episode. The atmosphere and mood of the episodes swing so widely that schizophrenic doesn't even properly describe it, but still, to my dismay, I actually quite like the anime. It would be easier if it all was hot garbage so that episode at the hot springs wouldn't be such a detriment to it.

I guess at this point I'm hoping that there'll be no more bathing scenes. Made the mistake of googling around to see if there's a made for TV version that drops the iffy parts, but apparently not only there isn't, but the internet is full of debates about Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha where people praise Nanoha and talk about what a good shounen protagonist she would make if she piloted EVA-01 instead of Shinji. Guys, have you missed the part where Nanoha has been trying to talk to Fate instead of punching her silly for the last, oh, I don't know, four episodes? Please go back to ogling Mari. Just go. Go. Away.

Well, I might not be able to hate the anime, but I can hate the fandumb all right. That's at least something. Also, not very surpsingly, shippers. Ugh.

Edited by majestic
  • Like 1

Is there any fandom that's not eminently hateable? Honestly, the only fandoms I don't already hate are the ones I'm not aware of.

• Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

3 hours ago, Sarex said:

Glad you like it. It has some slow episodes but it's a solid series all the way to the end.

I watched two more episodes, and it continues to be really good. Parts of it can be slow, but I haven't seen anything I've outright disliked yet.

1 hour ago, majestic said:

I guess at this point I'm hoping that there'll be no more bathing scenes. Made the mistake of googling around to see if there's a made for TV version that drops the iffy parts, but apparently not only there isn't, but the internet is full of debates about Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha where people praise Nanoha and talk about what a good shounen protagonist she would make if she piloted EVA-01 instead of Shinji. Guys, have you missed the part where Nanoha has been trying to talk to Fate instead of punching her silly for the last, oh, I don't know, four episodes? Please go back to ogling Mari. Just go. Go. Away.

Now you've jinxed it and will come across some Mari x Nanoha fanart.

Is there any fandom that's not eminently hateable?

It depends on how you define it, but yeah, virtually any thing has fans that are just awful. Just look at the Imoen romance or Sarelith mods for BG2.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I started the 4th season of LoGH and once again it seems it will take some time to get interesting. Too much bureaucracy and government stuff. Apparently there will be a civil war and that will rebalance the sides so that the republicans* actually have a chance again.

I'll be busy this weekend, but I think I'll start Jojo and leave LoGH for later.

*Don't worry, it's not the real life Republicans.

• Gasp! 1

sign.jpg

1 hour ago, InsaneCommander said:

I'll be busy this weekend, but I think I'll start Jojo and leave LoGH for later.

Well you're in for a wild ride. WRRRYYYYYYYYYY!

1 hour ago, InsaneCommander said:

Don't worry, it's not the real life Republicans.

Given how tech unsavvy most US politicians are, it would be hilarious to see them bumble around cluelessly in space. I can imagine some of the older ones blowing up AIs by asking dumb questions.

• Gasp! 1

45 minutes ago, KP the meanie zucchini said:

Given how tech unsavvy most US politicians are, it would be hilarious to see them bumble around cluelessly in space. I can imagine some of the older ones blowing up AIs by asking dumb questions.

If being a passenger on this spaceship is free, how do you make money?

• Hmmm 1