Anime - Kono Dio Da!

Amentep

26 minutes ago, Gorth said:

Made in Abyss

Fellow degenerate I see. 😄

It can't really have any closure as the manga is still on going. Where did the anime end?

Edited by Sarex
  • Like 1

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

1 hour ago, Gorth said:

I’m not much of an anime fan to be honest

Yet. We'll make a weeb out of you. It has happened before. :yes:

minako-sailor-moon.gif

Better not try her cooking though. Yeah...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

2 hours ago, Gorth said:

I’m not much of an anime fan to be honest, but since Ghost in the Shell was new, I’ve watched two series, that I liked: Made in Abyss and BLOOD-C

Both are probably what you would call an acquired taste, but hey, I quite enjoyed the stories (although Made in Abyss could definitely do with some kind of real closure)

Phew, got Blood-C mixed up with Blood+ there for a moment and just about Dr. Phil-ed myself, seeing as Blood+ was one of the sorriest shows I ever got stuck watching two entire episodes of (I do not apologize in advance to anyone here that might actually like 2005's Blood+, :yes:). I am certain that Blood-C must be significantly better than that.

14 hours ago, InsaneCommander said:

Legend of Galactic Heroes 55-58

"History" episodes that don't in some way relate back to what's currently happening I think have a tendency to feel a little disruptive and boring to a show, unless maybe you're super into the setting.

• Sad 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

2 hours ago, Sarex said:

Fellow degenerate I see. 😄

It can't really have any closure as the manga is still on going. Where did the anime end?

I *think* there is a season two. But it's currently only available on blu-ray in the wrong region (for me that is, my drive is region B, whereas season 2 is only available for region A as far as I could find on google). So, it's a no go. Not going to buy it... waiting for either a dvd version (I have a multi region, stand-alone dvd player) or a region free blu-ray version. Season 1 just sort of "ends" mid journey (simplified explanation)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

34 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

Phew, got Blood-C mixed up with Blood+ there for a moment and just about Dr. Phil-ed myself, seeing as Blood+ was one of the sorriest shows I ever got stuck watching two entire episodes of (I do not apologize in advance to anyone here that might actually like 2005's Blood+, :yes:). I am certain that Blood-C must be significantly better than that.

I googled Blood+ and looked at some pictures, is this some sort of anime Underworld?

Regarding Blood-C:

Blood-C (stylized as BLOOD-C) is a 2011 Japanese anime television series co-produced by studio Production I.G and manga artist group CLAMP. It is the second anime series in the Blood franchise following the 2005–2006 series Blood+. The original 12-episode series aired during 2011, with a movie Blood-C: The Last Dark releasing in Japanese theaters the following year. The anime was subsequently adapted into two manga, a 2011 novelization, a 2015 stage play set between the events of Blood-C and The Last Dark, and three live-action movies.

I should know better by now, but having CLAMP attached makes it immediately more interesting than it probably should be, but it's an anime first by CLAMP, so maybe this'll be a bit different. It at least has a writing team capable of greatness then.

The only problem is, if this is the second anime in the "Blood" series and Blood+ is awful, how can I watch it without starting with Blood+? :( edit 2:

Blood+ has like 50 episodes. FML.

edit:

12 minutes ago, Gorth said:

I *think* there is a season two. But it's currently only available on blu-ray in the wrong region (for me that is, my drive is region B, whereas season 2 is only available for region A as far as I could find on google). So, it's a no go. Not going to buy it... waiting for either a dvd version (I have a multi region, stand-alone dvd player) or a region free blu-ray version. Season 1 just sort of "ends" mid journey (simplified explanation)

You should clearly watch Sailor Moon. Either the Viz dub or original with subs will do. Just not the DiC version... :p

Edited by majestic
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

"History" episodes that don't in some way relate back to what's currently happening I think have a tendency to feel a little disruptive and boring to a show, unless maybe you're super into the setting.

No idea what Blood+ is (sounds like I'm not losing out on anything)

A relatively harmless trailer: (for more action, there is a death count video on Youtube showing the first 274 gory deaths)

The other one, Made in Abyss: (English dubbed, I have a subtitled version instead)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

5 minutes ago, Gorth said:

A relatively harmless trailer: (for more action, there is a death count video on Youtube showing the first 274 gory deaths)

I'm continually "amazed" by what CLAMP does when they're not making one of the most brilliant magical girl series ever. What the hell? Well, looks like I won't have to sit through a movie and 50 episodes of Blood+ to get to that. :yes:

• Gasp! 1

3 minutes ago, majestic said:

I should know better by now, but having CLAMP attached makes it immediately more interesting than it probably should be, but it's an anime first by CLAMP, so maybe this'll be a bit different. It at least has a writing team capable of greatness then.

The only problem is, if this is the second anime in the "Blood" series and Blood+ is awful, how can I watch it without starting with Blood+?

"Lucky for you, I am pretty certain that Blood+ has absolutely no relation to Blood-C," he confidently stated before actually looking it up and discovering that they do and re-wording his post before he actually posted it.

...Still, Blood-C is a shoujo by CLAMP and even if it's not necessarily great, it's probably not going to be terrible either...and the other is the most boringest, gosh-awful shonen where nothing ever happens and the characters are all completely BORING. I was forced into watching it right after finishing Miyu and it and Death Note (which I was repeatedly badgered into trying) were really the nail in the coffin for me that if a shonen show seems completely terrible immediately, STOP WATCHING.

(e): Okay, never mind I just watched that trailer.

giphy.gif

...It still doesn't look as bad as Blood+, but almost definitely not for me either.

• Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

5 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

"Lucky for you, I am pretty certain that Blood+ has absolutely no relation to Blood-C," he confidently stated before actually looking it up and discovering that they do and re-wording his post before he actually posted it.

...Still, Blood-C is a shoujo by CLAMP and even if it's not necessarily great, it's probably not going to be terrible either...and the other is the most boringest, gosh-awful shonen where nothing ever happens and the characters are all completely BORING. I was forced into watching it right after finishing Miyu and it and Death Note (which I was repeatedly badgered into trying) were really the nail in the coffin for me that if a shonen show seems completely terrible immediately, STOP WATCHING.

(e): Okay, never mind I just watched that trailer.

giphy.gif

...It still doesn't look as bad as Blood+, but almost definitely not for me either.

Good grief, we just had the exact same reaction at the same time, huh? :p

edit:

About that Made in Abyss trailer, eh, the dub is terribad, and it looks like it would make a better roguelike JRPG than anime. I'd play that. Not sure about watching it. :yes:

Edited by majestic
  • Like 1

I have a feeling that trailer may actually be an unrepresentative look at the show (but I would, wouldn't I, considering my hatred of trailers?), but yeah, if it is actually representative, what I got out of it was "very melodramatic swordplay action show with at least minor ecchi elements". I'm going to take a look at some screenshots real quick...and look, I'm already seeing piles of more light-hearted character interaction stuff that is immediately giving it a better impression than that trailer did, so yeah, I'm just going to pretend I never saw the trailer. Want me to try an episode or two at some point so you don't get accidentally get forced into watching something you despise? :p

Edited by Bartimaeus

9 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

Want me to try an episode or two at some point so you don't get accidentally get forced into watching something you despise? :p

Thanks, but it's only 12 episodes or so. I can deal with risking that on my own, assuming I can convince myself to not start with Blood: The Last Vampire and work my way through Blood+. :)

The "Skip Intro" feature on Netflix is completely broken for Steins;Gate. It either doesn't show up at all during the intro, or late, or it's too early, and more often than not it doesn't put you at the end of the intro, but either a few seconds before the end, a few seconds after (which is the worst), or just like with episode nine here, it does nothing at all.

I wonder if that's a meta joke. I also noticed that I am now on episode eight, the last one I talked about was apparently episode seven. Or maybe I shifted to a different world line, ey?

edit:

Hey, Moeka was time-shifted out of the show. I guess it's too much to hope that stays permanent, right?

edit 2:

Now Mayuri forces Ruka-ko (he's actually a boy) to undress and put on some cosplaying costume, and she's apparently really... uhm... kind of going to far behind the curtain there. Okay, so... nope. I really don't want to read "Don't touch me there!" and "Stop undressing me." even when it's in reply to Mayuri and probably meant to be more harmless than it sounds.

Jesus Christ in a handbasket, WHY?

Edited by majestic
  • Gasp! 2

Episode 1 of Blood-C.

The intro is not great, especially the song, but also we have a clip of two girls rubbing their butts together in front of everyone else in a classroom, semi-naked zoom-ins on the butt, chest, and crotch of the main character. Good first impression so far. However...

To open the episode, Saya, the main character, is a shrine maiden and meditating, saying she's so close to figuring out what "the light" is...and her father says her name from behind her, and she turns around and runs to him and falls flat on her face. Whoops. Her father says girls shouldn't smash their heads into things so often as she does, and she says she doesn't, really(!)...and he says yes, yes she does. Her mother was a shrine maiden as well, and apparently they look for the "light" in order to tell the future. Time for breakfast and off to school - she runs and falls on her face again, end scene.

Saya is similar to Sakura in terms of character - she's a good athlete, her mom's dead, she's expressive and over-reactive yet also kind and restrained, loves her father, tries to do her best at what she's able but wants to do more if it's to help others, and even takes the time out of her day to pick up other people's trash on way to school when she's already running late...she's certifiably a good egg. Heck, she even has some similar speaking patterns to Sakura - if you heard her, you'd know what I mean.

At school, there is a girl that is berating her for being too much of a clueless rube after she tries to explain why she's late, two twin girls that say everything in unison in a kind of fashion that is impossible, a lady teacher that makes not-particularly-mean jokes at her expense, and an angsty, bratty boy that that arrives even later than she does. Die, pond scum! ...Uh, anyways, man this animation leaves a lot to be desired, :(. Ah, things will never go back to the way they were in ye olden anime days. At school, there's a boy she seems to be friendly with that asks her out for a meal, but she sadly has to refuse because of her shrine maiden duties and for her father's sake. Time to go back home.

She gets back home and her dad is waiting for her and urges her into the shrine, then suddenly hands her sword and tells her that she must slay a demon that's appeared nearby, and I guess she must've done this before because she doesn't question any of this and immediately goes off and does just that - that's the last handful of minutes of the episode. Huh, okay. In conclusion of this experiment, honestly, that wasn't bad and it wasn't at all like the trailer made me expect, which is kind of what I figured would be the case...although I must admit I had some doubts when I saw the intro video - it's like they stuck all the ecchi elements in just the intro...but I guess it is just the first episode.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Hmmm 1

The costume Mayuri puts on Ruki is a mini-dress so short it doesn't even cover his butt. He is super embarrassed to wear it, and I am too!

Yes, that's it. Mayuri wasn't all there, but she was likeable, but that's just... why? Seriously, why. Why is that even a thing in this anime? Kurisu comes in and stares hard at Ruka. Daru and Okarin call her perverted, but stare equally at him. Mayuri thinks he's cute. Seriously, what's next?

Not sure, I think Okarin has a gay panic attack. Please make it stop.

Edited by majestic
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

About Blood-C, the one and only season is a very slow starter. The first 2-3 episodes are mostly introducing the cast. @Bartimaeus it is indeed as you say.  But as the episodes happens, more and more puzzles of a jig saw falls into place and nothing is as it seems. There is a reason why she's so happy go lucky just as you eventually figure out bit by bit the reason why she is so clumsy one moment and a Katana wielding samurai, slash athlete, slash killer, slash completely unaffected by the death of all her friends the next moment. Around episode 5 or 6 (iirc) , you realize as the viewer that everything you thought so far is wrong (/end of spoilers in case anyone wants to watch all 12 episodes some day). I actually mostly enjoyed the story and the twist more than the endless gore and innuendo.

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

7 minutes ago, majestic said:

The costume Mayuri puts on Ruki is a mini-dress so short it doesn't even cover his butt. Not quite.

Yes, that's it. Mayuri wasn't all there, but she was likeable, but that's just... why? Seriously, why. Why is that even a thing in this anime? Kurisu comes in and stares hard at Ruka. Daru and Okarin call her perverted, but stare equally at him. Mayur thinks he's cute. Seriously, what's next?

Not sure, I think Okarin has a gay panic attack. Please make it stop.

modern anime and shoving unnecessary stupid garbage in both of our faces:

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

4 minutes ago, Gorth said:

About Blood-C, the one and only season is a very slow starter. The first 2-3 episodes are mostly introducing the cast. @Bartimaeus it is indeed as you say.  But as the episodes happens, more and more puzzles of a jig saw falls into place and nothing is as it seems. There is a reason why she's so happy go lucky just as you eventually figure out bit by bit the reason why she is so clumsy one moment and a Katana wielding samurai, slash athlete, slash killer, slash completely unaffected by the death of all her friends the next moment. Around episode 5 or 6 (iirc) , you realize as the viewer that everything you thought so far is wrong (/end of spoilers in case anyone wants to watch all 12 episodes some day). I actually mostly enjoyed the story and the twist more than the endless gore and innuendo.

I'm usually in favor of slow, less action, more character stuff. So it's probably a good idea to start off a little more down-to-earth before flipping the bowl of cereal over.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Sad 2

modern anime and shoving unnecessary stupid garbage in both of our faces:

Spoiler

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

I spoilered the pictures for brevity.

The secene wasn't over yet. You might not be able to imagine it, but it GETS WORSE. SO MUCH WORSE.

Spoiler

Ruko wants to change the past to make him an actual girl. Kurisu is confused, she thought he is an actual girl. Okarin suggest that she as a scientist should not be fooled by superficial observations, so Kurisu walks up to Ruko and starts feeling him up. Kurisu reacts horrified.

Wow. Really. What. First Okarin has gay panic because he likes looking at Roku in a mini-dress, now Kurisu is apparently horrified to have touched a boy, and nobody in the entire cast of sh*tf*ckers thinks ANYTHING is wrong with this scene. Except Ruko. Poor guy.

Why? Why. Why can't you just have Roku as a normal character... Seriously. Sailor Moon did this better and that's near 30 years old. I wonder how they'll try to change his gender by sending a message to the past. How should that work? Do I even want to know?

Edited by majestic
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Gorth said:

Well the manga is in it's final stretch or at least it feels like it, so maybe there will be a season to cap it off.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

7 minutes ago, majestic said:

I spoilered the pictures for brevity.

The secene wasn't over yet. You might not be able to imagine it, but it GETS WORSE. SO MUCH WORSE.

Hide contents

Ruko wants to change the past to make him an actual girl. Kurisu is confused, she thought he is an actual girl. Okarin suggest that she as a scientist should not be fooled by superficial observations, so Kurisu walks up to Ruko and starts feeling him up. Kurisu reacts horrified.

Wow. Really. What. First Okarin has gay panic because he likes looking at Roku in a mini-dress, now Kurisu is apparently horrified to have touched a boy, and nobody in the entire cast of sh*tf*ckers thinks ANYTHING is wrong with this scene. Except Ruko. Poor guy.

Why? Why. Why can't you just have Roku as a normal character... Seriously. Sailor Moon did this better and that's near 30 years old. I wonder how they'll try to change his gender by sending a message to the past. How should that work? Do I even want to know?

I have to be honest, I'm kind of feeling like Jack Nicholson myself right now for having had the wisdom to bow out within the first eleven minutes. Of course, this is just a couple of awful moments within an entirety of a...26 episode show(?), but you know, they'd be moments I'd have remembered and been like "ight imma head out" because of.

Thanks for fixing the censoring so that I could properly understand what was censored, by the way, :p.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Gasp! 1

I have to be honest, I'm kind of feeling like Jack Nicholson myself right now for having had the wisdom to bow out within the first eleven minutes. Of course, this is just a couple of awful moments within an entirety of a...26 episode show(?), but you know, they'd be moments I'd have remembered and been like "ight imma head out" because of.

Thanks for fixing the censoring so that I could properly understand what was censored, by the way, :p.

Up until that scene it wasn't as bad as I made it out to be, but Okarin really grinds my gears, but that just exploded into something I had to use expletives for. Holy crap. I had the good sense to drop the u but forgot about sh*t being censored too. :p

Edited by majestic
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, majestic said:

Why can't you just have Roku as a normal character... Seriously.

Because that wouldn't be near as indecent for Daru.

1 hour ago, majestic said:

How should that work? Do I even want to know?

Uhhhh

They send a message to his mom's pager to eat vegetables.

...it works.

Yes. Really. That's it.

Just wait until you get to episode 11 or 12.

• Haha 1
  • Gasp! 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

Cardcaptor Sakura, episode 57:

Spoiler

I have no idea what the hell Eriol is trying to accomplish here, but this was such a great and unusual episode. Like, is he TRYING to get Sakura and Xiaolang to fall in love? I don't really know why if so, and it doesn't really seem to be consistent with his previous behavior...but he must have some kind of aim in mind. Eriol is presumably not as evil as the show has made him out to be up until this point, because that would be pretty un-Sakura-like, but I still am having trouble figuring out the ultimate goal here.

mpc-hc64_1B1NJxB5fC.png

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

Cardcaptor Sakura, episode 57:

Hide contents

I have no idea what the hell Eriol is trying to accomplish here, but this was such a great and unusual episode. Like, is he TRYING to get Sakura and Xiaolang to fall in love? I don't really know why if so, and it doesn't really seem to be consistent with his previous behavior...but he must have some kind of aim in mind. Eriol is presumably not as evil as the show has made him out to be up until this point, because that would be pretty un-Sakura-like, but I still am having trouble figuring out the ultimate goal here.

mpc-hc64_1B1NJxB5fC.png

Sakuuuuuuuraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! *yell*

Spoiler

First time he called her by her name, by the way. :)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

I like the setting, but what I'm really looking forward is more space battles. The history episodes are not bad, the current moment of peace is. And the real problem is that after so many battles, it doesn't look like anything big will happen soon. You can't simply replace what is lost in a short time.

7 hours ago, majestic said:

Do I even want to know?

Oh man. Poor Rukako right?

Not really a spoiler, but maybe you don't want even a hint of what is to come, so I'll hide it below.

Spoiler

The worst embarrasment for Rukako is still coming.😢

• Sad 1

sign.jpg

58 minutes ago, InsaneCommander said:

I like the setting, but what I'm really looking forward is more space battles. The history episodes are not bad, the current moment of peace is. And the real problem is that after so many battles, it doesn't look like anything big will happen soon. You can't simply replace what is lost in a short time.

Oh man. Poor Rukako right?

Not really a spoiler, but maybe you don't want even a hint of what is to come, so I'll hide it below.

Reveal hidden contents

The worst embarrasment for Rukako is still coming.😢

His actual name is Ruka, I think. -ko is just a suffix here, meaning girl. 

That is why Mamoru calls Usagi “Usako” and the Japanese word for girl with glasses is meganekko (megane = glasses). Not to be confused with neko which is what Faris pretends to be. Nyan...

• Thanks 1