I would like to get a better understanding regarding the Tactician mechanics, things like:

- How does it regenerate spells?

- How does it behave with a soul blade and similar subclasses?

- How does it behave with things such as invisibility?

- What about Solo or Party scenarios?

I threw a Swash just for fun, and it made me wonder what's the point in classes and resource management, when I can spam stuff as eternum with the Brilliant thingy...odd. 🤔

Tacticians become brilliant when their opponents are all flanked and no one on your side is flanked. This is easiest achieved when you play solo or with small parties, of one or two companions. Psyblade or battlemage are probably the best MC, since both wizards and ciphers have powers (chill fog/curse of blackened sight and eyestrike/phantom foes) that will flank enemies. A tactician/soul blade MC would be a fine combination. Brilliant periodically restores class resources, including fighter discipline, wizard spells, and cipher focus. But it's much better for wizards, who get back a spell at a random level, while ciphers only get a measly +10 focus per tic. Invisibility works a bit buggy with brilliant tactician. If I recall correctly, turning invisible will trigger brilliant tactician, which sounds nice, but often battle ends as well, which is not so great, since you'll lose whatever buffs you had (including brilliant) without your resources being restored. Personally, I prefer playing tacticians either solo or with a small party. Playing a party, say, of three tacticians can be fun.

• Like 1

You can place a DoT on the enemy (e.g. Gouging Strike) and then turn invisible. The combat will not end but you will still be brilliant (b.c. the invisibility get interpreted in a way that all enemies are flanked and you are not - for some reason I forgot). So you will get back Guile for further invisibility... Assassin/Tactician makes the most sense here I guess. 

• Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

• 2 months later...
On 8/25/2021 at 5:29 PM, dgray62 said:

Tacticians become brilliant when their opponents are all flanked and no one on your side is flanked. This is easiest achieved when you play solo or with small parties, of one or two companions. Psyblade or battlemage are probably the best MC, since both wizards and ciphers have powers (chill fog/curse of blackened sight and eyestrike/phantom foes) that will flank enemies. A tactician/soul blade MC would be a fine combination. Brilliant periodically restores class resources, including fighter discipline, wizard spells, and cipher focus. But it's much better for wizards, who get back a spell at a random level, while ciphers only get a measly +10 focus per tic. Invisibility works a bit buggy with brilliant tactician. If I recall correctly, turning invisible will trigger brilliant tactician, which sounds nice, but often battle ends as well, which is not so great, since you'll lose whatever buffs you had (including brilliant) without your resources being restored. Personally, I prefer playing tacticians either solo or with a small party. Playing a party, say, of three tacticians can be fun.

Would casting Phantom foes make this easy? I want to try out a battlemage MC next.