Maybe Philosophy, Maybe Madness, Or Maybe just the Meme Quotes....

Raithe

• 2 weeks later...

“I have graded more than 500 undergraduate papers about why Plato is an idiot and no one would ever behave in the Republic the way he has the people behave in the Republic. I have graded maybe 15 brilliant undergraduate papers about why Plato thought people would behave that way in the Republic, and the differences between Plato’s worldview and Plato’s psychology and our own, and why he thinks this thing that to us seems wrong.

That to me is the much harder kind of critical thinking, the empathetic kind of critical thinking that doesn’t criticize but reads carefully, critically, prudently and with empathy and connection to try to understand the other side, which I think is something that doesn’t just apply to the academic world, doesn’t just apply to how we write a paper in a class. It applies to how we read a blog post, how we judge a New York Times article, how we evaluate when someone has posted something on Twitter that they want us to hate or like to hate, as Twitter often is, whether the empathetic reading, which is the really challenging critical element, is there.”

– Ada Palmer [x]

Edited by Raithe
  • Like 3

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

• 3 weeks later...

May be an image of 1 person and text that says '#48 "Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free." Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn -1970 Nobel laureate @The53Percent G @TheProud53Percent ethics 101'

• Like 4

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Quote of the day: "The fox knows many tricks. The porcupine knows only one. But it's a really good one."

• Like 3

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

31 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

Quote of the day: "The fox knows many tricks. The porcupine knows only one. But it's a really good one."

This is interesting. Where did you get this? It is the hedgehog, not the porcupine. The porcupine does not curl into a ball, which is the trick here, used by the hedgehog.

21 minutes ago, xzar_monty said:

This is interesting. Where did you get this? It is the hedgehog, not the porcupine. The porcupine does not curl into a ball, which is the trick here, used by the hedgehog.

It was in a Zane Grey novel I'm reading. Not exactly high literature by any means  and I know the quote it rips off is hedgehog not porcupine. I guess he changed it because there are no hedgehogs in west Texas in the 1880's so the quote wouldn't make sense in the context. I like it better that way actually. Porcupines are cool.

Thomas Sowell

9 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

It was in a Zane Grey novel I'm reading. Not exactly high literature by any means  and I know the quote it rips off is hedgehog not porcupine. I guess he changed it because there are no hedgehogs in west Texas in the 1880's so the quote wouldn't make sense in the context. I like it better that way actually. Porcupines are cool.

Ha! Interesting. Thanks. I agree they're cool.

You touch upon the subject of what's called localization, i.e. whether texts should be made more accessible for the audience and/or context in which they're likely to be read. My stance, based upon decades of experience, is a firm "no" with the caveat that "context, however, is everything". So maybe I'd agree with the choice made here.

1600968349978?e=1652918400&v=beta&t=Y5R7

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 3

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

• 3 weeks later...