Anime - Oh No! Oh My God!

Amentep

10 minutes ago, majestic said:

Can I do, I make it baby!

Woops, wrong anime. Sumimasen!

edit:

Speaking of voice actors, did you know that when Yūko Miyamura was trying to record Asuka being choked and had problems with getting the sounds out right, Megumi Ogata helpfully just started choking her while recording, and squeezed a little too hard, hurting her in the process?

edit 2:

That laugh reaction was just for the joke, the info bit was edited in later! Really!

lmao, way to make me look like a psychopath. No, I didn't know that. While I haven't watched the original Japanese and thus I still am not particularly familiar with them...I have listened to and enjoyed each of their covers of Fly Me to the Moon, of which...I mean, there are a lot.

Everything_OajINj4o2H.png

I may or may not be an absolute soundtrack fiend.

@HoonDing Do you...actually watch any anime at all? The only one I think I've seen you mention with even the hint of seriousness is MAYBE City Hunter, but even that I can't tell if you're joking...

• Haha 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Amazon Prime Video continues to be outstanding. Not only are the Attack No. 1 episodes simple, unedited copies of the original TV material (at least that makes them have a PAL source), no...

Rebuild only comes with the German dub, no original Japanese. However... the German spoken in the dub sounds really strange. 

Why is everyone talking English? ;)

Seriously Amazon, it is cheap enough to only license the local dub an no original but mixing the dubs up is really unprofessional. 

• Haha 1
  • Gasp! 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

lmao, I'm not sure whether to give you a laughing or crying emote icon...guess it's better to laugh than cry, :yes:.

...That's especially strange, though, because *I* have access to the German dub and...all of this for 1.11: firefox_3MGonqudi3.png

• Sad 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

Misato sure sounds like Granny Katsuragi in the English dub. And I want to strangle Shinji already. 

Impressive how much of a difference voice acting can make. Megumi Ogata was never this annoying...

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, majestic said:

Misato sure sounds like Granny Katsuragi in the English dub. And I want to strangle Shinji already. 

Impressive how much of a difference voice acting can make. Megumi Ogata was never this annoying...

Ha. Heh. Yes, especially when it...subverts your expectations, :shifty:. For probably much the same reason that I can't watch the Japanese, I'm sure you can't tolerate the English!

(e): Also, Misato does sound weird in the Amazon English dub - I thought so myself. She sounded more like herself in the original release/script of the movie.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

lmao, I'm not sure whether to give you a laughing or crying emote icon...guess it's better to laugh than cry, :yes:.

...That's especially strange, though, because *I* have access to the German dub and...all of this for 1.11: firefox_3MGonqudi3.png

That is what the info box tells me as well, I just checked. However... the audio selection box has only one item in it.

Maybe it’s just a bug. Either way gg Amazon ;)

1 minute ago, majestic said:

That is what the info box tells me as well, I just checked. However... the audio selection box has only one item in it.

Maybe it’s just a bug. Either way gg Amazon ;)

Yeah, I went and checked to make sure - I really do actually have those options when I start it. Sucks to be you, :(.

• Sad 1

16 minutes ago, majestic said:

Amazon Prime Video continues to be outstanding. Not only are the Attack No. 1 episodes simple, unedited copies of the original TV material (at least that makes them have a PAL source), no...

Rebuild only comes with the German dub, no original Japanese. However... the German spoken in the dub sounds really strange. 

Why is everyone talking English? ;)

Seriously Amazon, it is cheap enough to only license the local dub an no original but mixing the dubs up is really unprofessional. 

That's ****ed, because at least for 3.0+1.01 the first thing Amazon Video declares is that it is avaliable in 29 languages, including Japanese and English audio and subtitles. That's half of us that have been Bezo'd

newFile-9.jpg?width=982&height=726&auto=

• Sad 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

6 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

Yeah, I went and checked to make sure - I really do actually have those options when I start it. Sucks to be you, :(.

It’s not like there aren’t options, just not while trying to watch on the 4K TV. Guess I’ll look into alternatives once done with the cardio. Meh

• Sad 1

57 minutes ago, majestic said:

Maybe it’s just a bug.

This be it. It's working fine in the web interface. German is German, English is English and just in case you can tell the difference between Chinese and Japanese in kanji you're good. For fun I tried a couple of dubs, the Chinese one so far has all the other beat in pure hilarity.

Amazon isn't cheap with the licensing, I retract that statement. They're cheap with their app QA. :p

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Gasp! 1

25 minutes ago, majestic said:

This be it. It's working fine in the web interface. German is German, English is English and just in case you can tell the difference between Chinese and Japanese in kanji you're good. For fun I tried a couple of dubs, the Chinese one so far has all the other beat in pure hilarity.

Amazon isn't cheap with the licensing, I retract that statement. They're cheap with their app QA. :p

Which brand TV do you use?

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

37 minutes ago, majestic said:

I don't have another pic of evil laugh Bezos, but I imagine he is laughing at all of us right now.

• Haha 2

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

1 minute ago, Sarex said:

Which brand TV do you use?

The one in the room with the erogmeter is just a mid range LG. It's functional enough and the image quality is all right, but the Prime app seems to have a couple of issues. It still beats watching Rebuild on my computer, because I chose the screen I'm sitting in front right now purely based on response times for gaming, not for color fidelity.

Well can't help it, back to watching. I got to the point where Shinji moved in with Grannyragi, but then I had to terminate the English dub experiment. :p

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, majestic said:

The one in the room with the erogmeter is just a mid range LG. It's functional enough and the image quality is all right, but the Prime app seems to have a couple of issues. It still beats watching Rebuild on my computer, because I chose the screen I'm sitting in front right now purely based on response times for gaming, not for color fidelity.

Well can't help it, back to watching. I got to the point where Shinji moved in with Grannyragi, but then I had to terminate the English dub experiment. :p

Strange, the app really should be QAed for LG... In fact that should be Amazon's primary testing environment. Guess money isn't everything...

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

Evangelion: 2.22 YOU CAN (NOT) ADVANCE [AMAZON EDITION] <ENGLISH DUB> %NO SIDE-BY-SIDE COMPARISONS THIS TIME% $MAJESTIC'S GOING TO BE THE LAST ONE TO FINISH EVANGELION UNLESS HE HURRIES IT UP$ #BETTER BE DR. PHIL SEIZURING IT UP BY THE END OF THIS OR IT'S NOT EVANGELION# &THIS IS GETTING UNREADABLE SO I GUESS I BETTER STOP& *I WAS RUNNING OUT OF SYMBOLS TO DELINEATE THESE STATEMENTS ANYWAYS* †THEN AGAIN, THAT'S WHAT WE HAVE UNICODE FOR†

@majestic was right, Misato really does sound weird in this dub...and it really sounds like it's getting worse. It's very strange, she sounded like 99% herself from the original show in the initial version, but in the first Amazon movie, it was like...maybe 80% herself with a few particularly bad lapses, and now in this second one, it's more like 60% with frequent bad lapses where it's difficult to even tell that it's the original VA. I can only assume it's a combination of aging but also Amazon's more differenter voice direction, particularly because there are still scenes where she does sound like herself, they're just...less frequent than they should be (and also, even Shinji has, at times, sounded not quite himself - there have been a few lines where he's not directly on camera but talking and it took me a moment to realize "oh, that's Shinji" which should never happen).

2.22 stuff:

Spoiler

who da funk is this new girl and why is she so upbeat and expressive, all children are supposed to be scared, angry, and depressed, and not to mention completely broken inside

It amazes me the shelf life of some stock sounds - pretty sure I just heard some button-pressing sounds that I first heard over 20 years ago in an N64 game (literally) while this girl was booting up her Eva. Also, how did we get to Eva Unit 5 when Asuka hasn't even arrived yet, never mind Kaoru who was teased at the end of the previous episode? ...And if they don't play Asuka's entrance music from the original show when she does finally show up, I'm gonna have some very choice words with the director. No, I have no clue why this is her entrance music, but it really actually is. ...Nope, they didn't. Evangelion has been cancelled - again. At least she sounds like herself (i.e. about as unreasonably angry as always), phew. Actually...if anything, she sounds YOUNGER than she did in the original show - her voice is a little softer and has less of its trademark cruelty. I don't know if Amazon really knew what they were doing here.

Am I crazy, or is this kinda even weirder at times than the original show? It's showing more scenes that are supposed to tell us information we would only get much later in the original show (...I'm pretty sure), but...they don't really seem to flow together that well or make all that much sense for someone who hasn't already seen the show, so...eh? Not that the original show always flowed that well or made that much sense, either, but still...I guess it's on brand, really. And whoa, Asuka just had a real heart-to-heart with Misato, and Rei wanted to have a dinner party with the Ikaris. I...don't remember either of those happening before - am I forgetting? I did watch literally all of the original show in one sitting, my memory ain't perfect here. Or maybe Asuka sounds a little nicer for a good reason. Actually, I don't remember this sequence where she gets into an angel-possessed Unit-03 at all...my memories of all of this are very fuzzy, and I don't know what's all supposed to be the same or different. Wasn't this originally someone else who got infected? Wasn't this originally Toji? I'm so confused.

Did I really just see the dummy plug eat Asuka? I really am having a Dr. Phil Seizure now: this feels close to what I vaguely remember happening, but different and wrong. Also, I kind of hate this creepy weird new girl, but scratch the "kind of". Well, to be fair, I pretty much always hate everyone new. How the heck did Shinji get to Unit 01 so danged fast? Details, details...

That was an ending (that was total nonsense), I guess. Business as usual, I suppose... I liked that one a bit less than the first. Eh. (e): But I can always be cheered up with the "next episode preview" music that they played post-credits again, at least!

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Haha 1
  • Hmmm 1
  • Gasp! 1

I managed to fix the issue by logging out of my account and linking it again. Which means that now I am done with Evangelion: 1.11 – You Are (Not) Alone. I'll probably be last to finish them just as @Bartimaeus speculated, mostly because I'll just watch them while doing cardio, unless the second movie vastly improves my opinion of this.

Looks like it's finally time for me to be the meanie zucchini for once, because what the hell is that supposed to have been?

If the goal was to make an abridged version of NGE with barely any breathing time for ADHS patients and director annotations for the hard of thinking in the form of exposition dump mono- and dialogue, then CONGRATULATIONS, you've both succeeded and failed at the same time*. The most hilarious part about is that the expositional dialogue which was probably intended to make it more accessible was specifically inserted for people who watched the show, because much of it makes absolutely no sense without the context of the original series.

"Shinji is like you, Misato!" no really? Will Ritsuko also comment on how funny it is that Asuka, Shinji and Misato are all different versions of the same problems living under one roof later? Is Gendo going to continue his Bond villain moustache twirling? "You're such a manipulative bastard boss, I love you!" What the hell.

Good job of treating me like a moron, movie, while failing to be any more understandable for a new watcher. How much can you fail at once?

And lastly... what is with Misato having access to Lilith and showing Shinji. Is Ryoji even going to be in this then?

Is this one giant troll attempt by Anno? How can you guys watch that without pulling your hair out? Is that because I've only watched the series like a couple of months back?

I think it's time to watch Nozomi fondle some boobs to clear my mind a little:

Sigh.

*No offense meant to people actually suffering from ADHS or people who are hard of thinking, I'm using these terms in a derogatory way, but I... oh, shiny!

• Gasp! 2

3 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

Am I crazy, or is this kinda even weirder at times than the original show?

Yes.

20 minutes ago, majestic said:

How can you guys watch that without pulling your hair out?

High tolerance for nonsense through years of b-movies and playing videogames.

• Haha 1
  • Hmmm 1

This is Miyu-talk for @Bartimaeus, because... eh, I can only quote the old man and his post. :)

Spoiler

On 8/17/2021 at 2:19 PM, Amentep said:

Prooobably not gonna ever figure that one out, then, unless someone has written about it online...

I could get the first 10 volumes as official German translations, at least as long a I hope that people don't send trash when they sell used comic books on eBay or through Amazon. Not sure if that's worth the effort to find out if the birds are better described in the manga. Some of these volumes came out after the TV show, but if the BIRDS turn out to be an anime only invention then I'd be kind of annoyed. :p

Spoiler

A cursory glance doesn't reveal any alternative sources. Sad, but not unexpected.

On 8/17/2021 at 2:19 PM, Amentep said:

Agreed. But writers seem to often have a desire to do something NEW or WEIRD when in fact, simply greatly-written character stuff almost always trumps having your expectations subverted, :yes:.

Ooh, that would've been solid, too. Funnily, I started out hating Reiha, but as the series went on, it felt like I understood and sympathized with her point of view more and more, and she was especially proven right by the end of the series.

I believe so, especially because Miyu says during the credits of the final episode, IIRC, that Chisato can make new friends while she's sitting in the sub-plane or whatever while looking at the other orbs.

Oh man, that reminds me, all throughout the series, I was mildly chuckling at the show always doing the name-drop text for each Shinma as they were revealed, and was like "why would they even bother, these guys' names do not matter". It was all made worth it when it finally came to Chisato and she had her own name-drop, and it was simply and perfectly "CHISATO".

Yeah, people should start hiring me as consultant. "Is this a good idea?" "No, stupid, next!" until it's right. I couldn't give any proper tips, but telling what's stupid or unnecessary would be sufficient sometimes, I think. :p

I thought it was pretty strange that Reiha didn't take over the job, the show spends an awful lot of time developing her from an initially hostile, annoying and extremely creepy character to someone who - while not symapthetic - could at least be empathized with, only to do nothing with it. She didn't even get to drop a barn on someone. Just has her doll destroyed, gets decapitated which apparently doesn't do anything lasting to her, and then she just leaves. Yeah, guys, what was the idea behind that?

Chisato as written on the show means "great distance", I checked that to see if that makes any sense or was some foreshadowing for natives, but apparently not. Great distance doesn't tell me anything, and her last name means like "on (top of) the well" or something similar. Unless we shuffle that around and make it mean "Rises to the top of the well over a great distance" then that's... nah. Not even David Lynch Kunihiko Ikuhara can come up with something like that as a hint. Nope.

• Like 1
  • Gasp! 1

Demon Slayer/Kimetsu no Yaiba: Mugen Train

This is an excellent movie. Almost two hours with plenty of action.

Spoiler

Messing with Zenitsu's subconscious was definitely a bad idea, since his alternate badass personality is there. Yes, what could possibly go wrong, right?

If the other higher demons are as good as the one that appeared at the end, then there will be a massacre soon.

Also found three specials on Funimation. They seem to be long. Has anyone here watched those?

sign.jpg

10 hours ago, majestic said:

Is this one giant troll attempt by Anno? How can you guys watch that without pulling your hair out? Is that because I've only watched the series like a couple of months back?

I was basically treating the first movie as a more competent Death (True)^2, because Death really super sucked and basically did not work even slightly as an abridged "catch up on the entire show so you can watch The End of Evangelion" movie. Also, my brain has been melting trying to remember all of the exact differences between the show and this especially what with me having watched the entire original show in one sitting - makes it hard to recall all of the specific details, guess I'm going to have to eventually watch the show again at some point. The show feels and looks a lot better anyways, so I might as well over this...but I guess since I'm halfway through this already, I might as well finish it too.

Miyu:

Spoiler

If you ever read the manga, make sure to give me a synopsis of each book, :yes:. And it almost feels like there should've been a movie to sort the issues with Reiha out...she was important, show - can't just push her and her issues aside like that! Plus, Miyu promised to wait for her...

Also...did I understand the one dude correctly, that Miyu actually eats (and retains) the souls of those she drains? If so...yeah, I don't know, maybe she think she's granting them mercy, but that's kind of really messed up. Would this also mean that, if this is also true of the OVA, that she possesses the soul of her mother? Ay, caramba...

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1

Arion (1986). Hey look, another kind of cool but also kind of off-putting anime poster from the 80s.

MV5BZmM2ZWE5M2YtMTkzYi00MjVjLTg2MmUtZDA2

Arion is a young boy that lives with his blind mother, Demeter, tending to their sheep and gathering food and supplies and such. His good uncle Hades pays Demeter a visit to tell her of current events transpiring, and on his way out, tricks Arion into entering the Underworld and promises the restoration of his mother's sight if Arion, a fledgling Titan, is able to slay Zeus, who is currently embroiled in a war with Poseidon. Demeter pleads with Zeus to save Arion, but her pleas fall on deaf ears.

Spoiler

Things doesn't go quite according to Hades' plans when Arion slays one of Zeus' principle generals, Ares, and his brother Apollo tricks him into straight-up murdering Hades and cutting even poor Kerberos literally in half...one third of the way through the movie. In Hades' final moments, he curses Arion with madness and agony. Things...um, don't get better from here. Suffice to say, everyone gets exactly what they deserve.

I actually thought it was decent even if, uh, a bit messy narrative-wise and could've been a lot better character-wise. If nothing else, I thought it was a lot better and more fun than Isao Takahata's Horus, Prince of the Sun (1968). ...And I like Ancient Greek stuff, sue me.

• Hmmm 1

4 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

And I like Ancient Greek stuff, sue me.

So you're saying that you like Pegasus?

• Haha 1
  • Gasp! 1