Anime - Oh No! Oh My God!

Amentep

Steins;Gate 19-24:

Not sure their strategy makes sense since

Spoiler

they are not erasing the d-mails, but simply sending others to counter the effects. Wouldn't CERN find out even earlier with more evidence around? Or do these changes prevent later d-mails from being sent and that is how it works?

I'm lost.confused.png.32c5d2a072ecd70d1035086796733a11.png

The ending was very satisfying, after all that happened.

Steins;Gate OVA:

Very unusual "episode".

Spoiler

No time travel, just showing more of the happy ending.

Plenty of funny moments. Okarin's paranoia forces them to stay at a cheap motel and the plane tickets are paid by the others. How can he convince them to do that??? Even Christina put some cosplay on and worked as a waitress, even though she didn't need to travel by plane.🤣

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

sign.jpg

Utena 20, the Wrath of Wakaba.

Finally a black rose duelist I'd care about. Too bad it is as formulaic as the others. Akio seems to be making moves on Utena now. DIO needs to come out of his room already.

• Hmmm 1
  • Sad 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

1 hour ago, KP the meanie zucchini said:

Utena 20, the Wrath of Wakaba.

Finally a black rose duelist I'd care about. Too bad it is as formulaic as the others. Akio seems to be making moves on Utena now. DIO needs to come out of his room already.

Well, you might end up wanting DIO to go back to his room eventually. I liked the Black Rose duels more than the upcoming car rides, but your mileage may vary. Ho ho ho, car pun. I'm so funney.

You're almost through, by the way. Next episode is Nanami focused insanity, then there's a very helpful flashback episode that takes great pains explaining all the visual cues you've most likely missed and the resolution of the arc, which gives you a first hint at what's going on.

Or maybe not. Anyway, I'll give you a nice heads up since you seem to lose more and more, uhm, motivation to continue. :p

Press me if you want to see the Rose Bride's true form (beware of spoilers, pain and seizures):

Spoiler

utena-tenjou.gif

Edited by majestic

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Okay, so Princess Tutu just introduced Jawas:

msMC6NO.png

They're not really interested in capturing R2-D2, salvage or junk trading, but seem to be some sort of clandestine organisation doing something that's been vexing Fakir for a while.

Not sure how I feel about introducing a new plot element in episode 21 of 26, even if some of what happened throughout the second season can be traced back to them. Seems to be related to Drosselmeyer's part in the story. Not sure how that ties into the prince and raven story, if at all.

Not going to lie, not really thrilled about this devlopment. The episode is also seemingly - so far, at least  - a break in a streak of stronger ones. It's weird, random, weird and overall not as good as the ones before.

:(

edit:

The character in the picture is most likely a one-off, and his only function is to explain something to Fakir, who then proceeds to set out on the path of his "destiny" or whatever it is. Good grief, that took a page out of the Sailor Moon manga book, Ms. Itō, that wasn't the best of ideas, really.

11 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

Black Magic M-66 (1987).

Looks like it could be fun, but I'm already pressed for time and drowning in stuff to watch. Yikes...

Edited by majestic
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, majestic said:

Looks like it could be fun, but I'm already pressed for time and drowning in stuff to watch. Yikes...

That's why I'm watching and trying to through (or at least a better handle on whether I'd like) all this weird or random stuff I've bookmarked instead of watching Sakura. My OCD for cleaning stuff goes crazy when I have too much, and I have too much by far right now...have to get through some of it. So yeah, don't feel compelled to add even more to your plate by any means, especially given that something like Black Magic M-66 was just fun random trash at best, :yes:.

43 minutes ago, majestic said:

Not sure how I feel about introducing anew plot element in episode 21 of 26, even if some of what happened throughout the second season can be traced back to them. Seems to be related to Drosselmeyer's part in the story. Not sure how that ties into the prince and raven story, if at all.

I've only seen one episode of Princess Tutu and though I've read everything you've written about it, that was not enough in order for literally anything you say about the show to stick or make sense in my brain. What you wrote here might as well be total gibberish for me, :p.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

11 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

I've only seen one episode of Princess Tutu and though I've read everything you've written about it, that was not enough in order for literally anything you say about the show to stick or make sense in my brain, :p.

I'm keeping these things as vague as possible anyway. I have to admit, I don't really know where this is going, but so far the first season (the first 13 episodes) was a good deal better. This one took a page out of Sailor Moon to come up with something five episodes before the end of the season (and show, in Tutu's case). It's not entirely out of the blue, there were hints and bits and pieces that Fakir is...

Spoiler

...not entirely within the story, turns out he's a direct descendant of Drosselmeyer and inherited his reality warping powers. That's what Mr. Random Guy tells him, because he's researched Drosselmeyer for a while. Just in time to tell Fakir about it, get electrocuted and probably never show up again. I might be wrong about the never showing up part, he could stick around for the finale, but I'd not be surprised if he didn't.

Good job, scriptwriters. If the only function a new character serves it a late-season plot point reveal, then maybe you need to put some revisions in. The setup was there, but the way the reveal went was pretty unsatisfying.

Who knows, maybe there's some secret energy being behind the Raven. Like CHAOS or PHARAO 90! :p Just as long as it isn't DEATH PHANTOM.

11 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

That's why I'm watching and trying to through (or at least a better handle on whether I'd like) all this weird or random stuff I've bookmarked instead of watching Sakura. My OCD for cleaning stuff goes crazy when I have too much, and I have too much by far right now...have to get through some of it. So yeah, don't feel compelled to add even more to your plate by any means, especially given that something like Black Magic M-66 was just fun random trash at best, :yes:.

But... but... I like fun random trash. Heh.

Edited by majestic
spellink
  • Like 1

Utena 21-23

So the entire black rose arc never actually happened? ....come on now this show is some real bull****.

• Haha 2

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

13 minutes ago, KP the meanie zucchini said:

Utena 21-23

So the entire black rose arc never actually happened? ....come on now this show is some real bull****.

No, it happened. Mikage/Nemuro just left the academy, that's all. People who leave the academy slowly fade from the memories of everyone still inside. Like Wakaba's friend the Onion Knight. And some blue haired random guy from the upcoming arc who used to be Juri's mentor. Nemuro just left a long time ago, which is why he never rebuilt the original Seminar into the Memorial Hall.

That was what the funny flashbacks were for. To show that Boy!Anthy died a long time ago, Tokiko is older than Nemuro by a good deal of years even though they should be of the same age, and all that stuff.

Don't worry, the show's going to double and triple down on the metaphysical before its over, and the movie just ups it. :yes:

edit:

The real question here is, who or what is Tokiko? Because she defies everything in the setting and show, coming and going willy nilly as she pleases. I'm really not sure about that one, to be honest.

Edited by majestic
  • Gasp! 1

15 minutes ago, majestic said:

No, it happened. Mikage/Nemuro just left the academy, that's all. People who leave the academy slowly fade from the memories of everyone still inside. Like Wakaba's friend the Onion Knight. And some blue haired random guy from the upcoming arc who used to be Juri's mentor. Nemuro just left a long time ago, which is why he never rebuilt the original Seminar into the Memorial Hall.

That was what the funny flashbacks were for. To show that Boy!Anthy died a long time ago, Tokiko is older than Nemuro by a good deal of years even though they should be of the same age, and all that stuff.

Don't worry, the show's going to double and triple down on the metaphysical before its over, and the movie just ups it. :yes:

edit:

The real question here is, who or what is Tokiko? Because she defies everything in the setting and show, coming and going willy nilly as she pleases. I'm really not sure about that one, to be honest.

Oh OK. I don't have a problem with metaphysical madness, but black rose was just boring. It's like someone took the Sailor Moon filler and cut out all the endearing parts. Like after Black Rose, do I really care about any of the characters more? Did I get to enjoy them doing zany antics? Nope.

57 minutes ago, KP the meanie zucchini said:

Did I get to enjoy them doing zany antics?

I knew you actually loved Nanami, ❤️.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

22 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

I knew you actually loved Nanami, ❤️.

Out of all the characters, I only actively dislike her at this point. Sure her filler episodes tend to be funny, but they work because they're at her expense. Outside of that she's just unpleasant. I hope the cat comes back and eats her.

1 hour ago, KP the meanie zucchini said:

Out of all the characters, I only actively dislike her at this point. Sure her filler episodes tend to be funny, but they work because they're at her expense. Outside of that she's just unpleasant. I hope the cat comes back and eats her.

mpc-hc64_x45B8CBdkA.png

Forum ate my post again...but I had a copy. Very cool, forums...very cool.

On 9/4/2021 at 2:15 PM, Sarex said:

Watched "Words bubble up like soda pop". It's a feel good slice of life story about awkward teens. The animations are very bright and colorful and I liked them overall. The story is solid too. I would give it a warm recommend.

Me checking out this movie right now:

giphy.gif?cid=790b761152372c6101315c5caf

...Not because it looks bad, but because my eyes feel like they're melting due to the brightness and vibrancy. Holy cow is that intense.

So...I'm just thinking out-loud here, but you probably shouldn't be a social media "influencer" if the sight of your own face terrifies you. Just a thought, :p.

Spoiler

A focal point of the story hinging around around the old guy with dementia just wanting to hear the sound of his mom's voice from the old record was unexpectedly a little sad...and I actually got a little excited when they finally freaking found it. Of course, the moment she started looking at it I knew what would come next, and I pre-emptively started to tell her not to do it, but then of course she did it. Interesting choice to then just immediately skip to the next scene rather than have an overwrought emotional scene - normally, I would totally approve of that, but this was actually a case where after building this up the entire movie, I think it would've been justified. Ultimately, that choice ends up being fine in the end, though.

Anyways, perfectly decent film. It was fine, :yes:. Even liked the art style well enough (...though the action scene near the beginning was a little...over the top style-wise and feels a little out of place with the rest of the film, but whatever, it's fine).

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

1 hour ago, Bartimaeus said:

Me checking out this movie right now:

...Not because it looks bad, but because my eyes feel like they're melting due to the brightness and vibrancy. Holy cow is that intense.

So...I'm just thinking out-loud here, but you probably shouldn't be a social media "influencer" if the sight of your own face terrifies you. Just a thought, :p.

They turned it up to 11 for sure...

• Like 1

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

Utena 24 the Nanami clip show and the return of the elephants.

So it says something pretty bad about the whole Black Rose arc when a clip show is better than most of the episodes, but here we are.

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, KP the meanie zucchini said:

Oh OK. I don't have a problem with metaphysical madness, but black rose was just boring. It's like someone took the Sailor Moon filler and cut out all the endearing parts. Like after Black Rose, do I really care about any of the characters more? Did I get to enjoy them doing zany antics? Nope.

The strange thing about this is that Revolutionary Girl Utena was made by a good deal of people who worked on Sailor Moon, and the original NGE. The same people that directed and wrote Sailor Moon S, and large parts of Stars. It's baffling how weak the characters in Utena are considering that it was made by people who know how to write characters.

But hey, I've complained about that before. :)

• Gasp! 1

I'm getting the feeling that Princess Tutu's Jawas are up to no good:

8aZ1idg.png

Utini!

I was wrong, by the way, random one-off character from the last episode showed up in this one too. He accidentially runs into Rue, it's possible that the two start bonding over being the sad rejects in this story. That would be something. :) 

• Gasp! 1

Utena 25 DIO leaves his room.

Ok, this is actually a big improvement. Even if it does get very... uncomfortable near the end. I guess car rides are replacing interviews now lmao.

• Hmmm 1

Utena 26 and 27. Miki marries his sister and Nanami lays an egg. It beats Black Rose at least.

7 hours ago, Sarex said:

Looking like the end for Berserk.

al4b1zdmv5m71.jpg

I'm very much looking forward to 364, but I'm afraid it may be one hell of a cliffhanger. Like

Moonlight Boy turns into Griffith in front of Guts and it ends right there

• Haha 1
  • Gasp! 1

2 minutes ago, KP the meanie zucchini said:

I'm very much looking forward to 364, but I'm afraid it may be one hell of a cliffhanger. Like

Reveal hidden contents

Moonlight Boy turns into Griffith in front of Guts and it ends right there

I doubt it, although

Spoiler

Griffith does appear in this chapter.

• Gasp! 1

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

9 minutes ago, Sarex said:

I doubt it, although

Reveal hidden contents

Griffith does appear in this chapter.

• Gasp! 1

I watched the first couple of minutes of Words Bubble Up Like Soda Pop.

If I weren't me, I'd probably never go back, no matter how much I might end up liking the story, or the characters, because watching the film isn't just like:

On 9/7/2021 at 8:31 AM, Bartimaeus said:

But more like:

anigif_enhanced-buzz-15062-1382406984-21

And then:

Event-Horizon-Sam-Neill-Eyes.jpg?mtime=2

Plus some very serious uncanny valley flashes in the attempt to give the animation depth, especially in the opening shots.

Yikes. It burns my precious, it burnsssssss. Nasty elven rope animation.

That said, I'll now make an effort to finish Princess Tutu to cross an item off my list and free up some space. I'd much rather contnue K-On!! at this point, which should not be seen as a comment on Princess Tutu's quality (even if the second season isn't as good as the first), but it's much more what I would like to watch right now, based on my mood and frame of mind.

On the other hand, I'm halfway through K-On!! and I kind of don't want it to end so quickly.

• Haha 2
  • Hmmm 1
  • Gasp! 1