Anime - Do you Understannnnnnndu?

Amentep

1 minute ago, KP the meanie zucchini said:

How about Sue the Bart? Or if I wanted to JoJo your name "Zaue the Barttttttttttttttttttttto" screamed at the top of my lungs and followed by "OH MY GOD!"?

Seconds after the post where he asked for no epithets. I kinda feel left out, did you guys eat shrooms and not share any with me?

• Haha 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

5 minutes ago, KP the meanie zucchini said:

How about Sue the Bart? Or if I wanted to JoJo your name "Zaue the Barttttttttttttttttttttto" screamed at the top of my lungs and followed by "OH MY GOD!"?

Wouldn't that actually be Barotimaeusu? Far as I know, in Japanese you don't have syllables ending on a consonant, and I'd put that at Bar-ti-mae-us, no?

Edited by majestic

3 minutes ago, KP the meanie zucchini said:

Imagine the nastiest thing you can think of, then make it worse and at the same time dumber. That is what Bruno would bring us.

And there is some ****ed up **** there. I would think that would be ban worthy or would that fall under art over here? I kind of doubt it.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

6 minutes ago, majestic said:

Seconds after the post where he asked for no epithets. I kinda feel left out, did you guys eat shrooms and not share any with me?

Gosh, I really am picky about literally everything in some manner, aren't I?

All I was trying to do was explain that literally any other spelling of my name was greatly preferable over the specific one used... Yes, even "Barotimaeusu", :p.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Haha 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

3 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

Gosh, I really am picky about literally everything in some manner, aren't I?

All I was trying to do was explain that literally any other spelling of my name was greatly preferable over the specific one used... :p

No, I can fully understand that. I wouldn't want to be called by a shortened spelling of my posting name either when it's been so liberally used by Bruno in the past.

I was just wondering, because I left to watch an episode of the Blacklist and you guys filled half a page with, uhm, really strange posts, so I figured I didn't get invited to the party. Again. Kinda the story of my life, huh? :p

edit: @Sarex consider this a hint! ;)

Edited by majestic
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, majestic said:

I was ninja'd. How was I supposed to know Sue took a rogue dip?

1 minute ago, majestic said:

Wouldn't that actually be Barotimaeusu? Far as I know, in Japanese you don't have syllables ending on a consonant, and I'd put that at Bar-ti-mae-us, no?

I was trying to riff on the scene that got this thread titled.

Oh well.

2 minutes ago, Sarex said:

And there is some ****ed up **** there. I would think that would be ban worthy or would that fall under art over here? I kind of doubt it.

Honestly as bad as what this guy would hypothetically bring in would be, more likely he would be a Naruto fan who'd chastise us for not paying enough money to watch/read anime/manga.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

13 minutes ago, majestic said:

o, I can fully understand that. I wouldn't want to be called by a shortened spelling of my posting name either when it's been so liberally used by Bruno in the past.

That's the crazy thing, it ain't just him, there have been multiple...characters throughout the past 15 or so years (since I started using this name) whom I've despised that have inexplicably used it. Worse, other people read them using it, and then think "oh, I guess that's the correct form of shortening it, guess I'll use it too!" and I have to correct them because, no, I don't hate you, so you shouldn't use this, please use the correct one. Have to nip it in the bud before it gets out of control when I see it.

(e): In a way, it's actually almost kind of like a test: if you use it and I don't try to correct you, it almost definitely means I hate you, or at the very least have no desire to interact with you to tell you to fix it. I wouldn't let someone I don't already dislike continue to use it without at least letting them know...especially with repeat uses.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 2

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

5 minutes ago, KP the meanie zucchini said:

Honestly as bad as what this guy would hypothetically bring in would be, more likely he would be a Naruto fan who'd chastise us for not paying enough money to watch/read anime/manga.

I honestly don't know which of those two would be worse...well...I mean I do... Naruto would be worse.

21 minutes ago, majestic said:

Rippanamusuko?

Rippana musuko I'm told is "Honorable Son" in Japanese, which may be dicey since I let the internet tell me that. Bartimaeus is, IIRC, Honorable Son in Greek or Aramaic

Edited by Amentep
Edit: Include Rationale
  • Gasp! 3

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

6 minutes ago, Amentep said:

Rippanamusuko?

Hide contents

Rippana musuko I'm told is "Honorable Son" in Japanese, which may be dicey since I let the internet tell me that. Bartimaeus is, IIRC, Honorable Son in Greek or Aramaic

It is. Rippa na musuko, actually, rippa meaning "fine" and musuko is "son" and na is just one of these Japanese particles that are not easy to explain but you'll eventually get the hang of. So yes, the internet is kind of right there. Assuming the basis of your translation is correct, which I really don't know. :) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, majestic said:

It is. Rippa na musuko, actually, rippa meaning "fine" and musuko is "son" and na is just one of these Japanese particles that are not easy to explain but you'll eventually get the hang of. So yes, the internet is kind of right there. Assuming the basis of your translation is correct, which I really don't know. :) 

So you know the holy language or just speak the book?

23 minutes ago, Sarex said:

I honestly don't know which of those two would be worse...well...I mean I do... Naruto would be worse.

I honestly can't think of an anime worse than Naruto. It's like it was designed specifically to be hated.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

15 minutes ago, majestic said:

Assuming the basis of your translation is correct, which I really don't know. :) 

Yeah, not 100% sure, its been a long time since I tried to fake translate things into Japanese and I used an English-Japanese dictionary then...!

• Like 1
  • Gasp! 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

19 minutes ago, Sarex said:

So you know the holy language or just speak the book?

No, not really. I tried learning Japanese once, a long time ago, when I was younger and thought you could do that without having any way to practice. I know a couple of common phrases and a few words here and there, and that's pretty much it. :)

• Thanks 1

Just now, majestic said:

No, not really. I tried learning Japanese once, a long time ago, when I was younger and thought you could do that without having any way to practice. I know a couple of common phrases and a few words here and there, and that's pretty much it. :)

I always wanted to learn and have the opportunity to practice it, but I'm just too lazy...

Also Evangelion coming out in 2 days. Big Hype.

2 hours ago, majestic said:

Yare yare daze.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, majestic said:

Anubis in the oxen arse. :yes:

Iggy with a snack.

• Haha 1

More Princess Tutu

Spoiler

Ahiru restores Mytho's fear and falls into despair herself after seeing first hand what fear does to people when it is their dominating emotion. Fakir on the other hand is not the Raven, and Rue most likely isn't either, even if she is Princess Krähe (German for crow). The Raven seems to be a separate entity.

It looks like Ahiru restoring Mytho's heart is making the Raven gain power. That's why Krähe only manifested herself halfway through the first season, and it would make sense - the storyteller/narrator (an old lady, so not Drosselmeyer) told us that the prince's heart shattered while sealing away the Raven. Doesn't entirely explain why it would use Rue then to prevent the prince from regaining another heart shard like in this episode. Maybe the other princess isn't entirely in league with it, or only unwittingly so. Or perhaps not at all. Fakir is constantly attempting to command Rue to do something, which she always ignores.

Drosselmeyer on the other hand just flat out confirmed that there's nothing but tragedy and sadness in his intentions for this story. I wonder if Ahiru can somehow change her fate. The more I watch the more I'm afraid that won't be the case. What choices do characters in a story really have, in the end? When Ahiru rejected being Princess Tutu and threw away her transformation amulet, Drosselmeyer just made sure that she got it back.

A travelling ballet troupe from a foreign land visited the fairy tale town, and there was the implication that their troupe leader changed into an electric eel upon entering the city. It seems reasonable to assume that all the animals that keep showing up are transformed humans. Except Ahiru, and maybe Rue. Rue might actually be a crow, and just like Ahiru is a transformed duck.

Sailor Neptune had a guest role, and one of Ahiru's friends is voiced by Nanami.

Ahiru's voice actor is bloody fantastic in sounding like a duck turned girl, by the way, and apparently was chosen by Ms. Itoh for the role before production started.

Edited by majestic
  • Like 1

Violet Evergarden, episode 2.

...This isn't working. I think it's time for me to dispose of Ms. Evergarden just as she asked in the first episode, :skull:. Ironically, it's not Violet herself that is annoying me so much (I'm okay with her so far), it's literally everybody else. I'd greatly prefer prefer to just sit and watch Violet get better at type-writing than to listen to this needlessly over-dramatic and/or faux emotional dialogue over and over. I got to the point where Poutylips McAutist barged into whatshisface and whatsherface having a meeting about firing Violet, cue her begging them not to do it for whatever reasons, and I'm just so done, man - this is painful. Yet another day I feel #hashtag #blessed I have no OCD about finishing things I've started, :sorcerer:.

(e): So, using the word "autist" is offensive and not something I particularly like doing...if someone has a better label that accurately describes the type of characters who have no idea how to properly emote or modulate their emotions, please let me know, because I'd be more than happy to drop that particular word from my lexicon. There are other anime labels for character archetypes like "tsundere" - is there one for this?

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

There are other anime labels for character archetypes like "tsundere" - is there one for this?

Well, there's the dandere, the reserved, quiet and shy one, but all the -dere archetypes are about the ways how these characters show affection, and I'm not entirely certain that works for Erica. There's the term meganekko, but that just means girl with glasses and applies to Erica all the same as it does to, say, Himemiya. She's just a regular shrinking violet (heh, violet), which isn't an anime-specific archetype, and tries to help Violet because she, just like herself, isn't truly cut out for the job, as evidenced by her one client who ends up extremely unhappy with her work. Violet doesn't understand that at all, which is why she openly wonders why she's contradicting herself.

Erica is the very first character on the show that Violet helps in a way, by (accidentially) helping her break out of her shell and barge into the conversation, something she had to work up an appreciable amount of courage to do.

Iris on the other hand is just really salty about getting a completely unqualified nepotism hire colleague when they don't have enough work for them all and most of the requests to go Cattleya while she's essentially just relegated to doing menial tasks ("Iris, can you please go and prepare the envelopes?").

Spoiler

Later on Iris gets an episode that explains how she left her quiet little country village to pursue her dreams in the city, and Violet is like the worst case scenario that happens when she messes up meetings with her clients when she's finally getting some requests in.

Also, fun fact, not an actual spoiler:

Spoiler

My first reaction to Erica was: "Oh boy, if Sue Barotimaeusu Bartimaeus ever watches this, he's so going to hate her."

Well, maybe not my first, but she certainly is the single largest reason I ended up saying that you're unlikely to enjoy this when I posted about it the first time around, with Violet being a potential close follow up.

4 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

Yet another day I feel #hashtag #blessed I have no OCD about finishing things I've started, :sorcerer:.

You'll be getting a letter from my lawyer soon, it's time we settle on royalties if you keep using my trademarked OCD like that. :yes:

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, majestic said:

Well, there's the dandere, the reserved, quiet and shy one, but all the -dere archetypes are about the ways how these characters show affection, and I'm not entirely certain that works for Erica. There's the term meganekko, but that just means girl with glasses and applies to Erica all the same as it does to, say, Himemiya. She's just a regular shrinking violet (heh, violet), which isn't an anime-specific archetype, and tries to help Violet because she, just like herself, isn't truly cut out for the job, as evidenced by her one client who ends up extremely unhappy with her work. Violet doesn't understand that at all, which is why she openly wonders why she's contradicting herself.

Now that I think about it, that sort of makes sense, because this particular character trait can really manifest in a number of different character types. The constant state of being so overwhelmed and confused by your own emotions that you're unable to express or talk in anything approaching a normal manner can manifest in both the sweetest AND ill-tempered of people...but regardless, it's a trait that I find particularly maddening and unpleasant in entertainment. Well, real life too, but I subscribe to the belief (although admittedly I sometimes fail to always properly exemplify it) that all those who respect and tolerate others deserve respect and tolerance themselves, even if I find them very difficult to deal with. Plus, people who are actually legitimately like that are already dealing with enough as it is - undoubtedly more maddening for them than it is for the rest of us.

Violet is basically the other extreme end of the spectrum, in that she feels basically nothing at all the vast majority of the time and is completely inexpressive. I don't love that either, but I do find it significantly less annoying, I suppose. Regardless, the show is just not really working for me on a number of fronts, and I don't think I'll be returning to it.

1 hour ago, majestic said:

You'll be getting a letter from my lawyer soon, it's time we settle on royalties if you keep using my trademarked OCD like that.

Sorry! It really is something I think about, though...basically not ever being able to experiment with TV shows (or similar things) out of an absolute dread of disliking them and yet forcing yourself to finish them. The amount of shows, movies, books, albums, whatever I try just a small portion of am immediately like "yeah, nah, that's not going to work, into the trash it goes" - I would never try anything new ever again if I had to finish all of them. Just the thought of operating that way is enough to send shivers down my spine...

• Hmmm 1