Anime - Do you Understannnnnnndu?

Amentep

Yeah, that was you, me, InsaneCommander, and KP. Am I forgetting someone? If so, yikes! :wacko:

29 minutes ago, majestic said:

I find it really interesting how mirrored that is for me, because I grew up absolutely hating most Western animation* - even before it turned into what it is today, which is even more loathesome. Most of that came from a time before I even knew where these animated shows on TV came from, but I always tuned in for Bismarck, Captain Future or Queen Millennia, along with the other ones I've mentioned, like Heidi or Dog of Flanders or Anne of Green Gables (later Sailor Moon, obviously). While inversely, the cartoons that were really popular with the other kids at school, like Beetlejuice? Yeah, thanks, but no thanks. Keep that crap. 

There were some exceptions, like Ghost Busters, but even there only the original first series, not any of the horrenduous follow ups. I also liked Galaxy Rangers, but that one cheated, because it was animated by Tokyo Movie Shinsha, just written by Americans (and that actually shows, when I tried rewatching it as an adult... that's something that did not age well at all).

There still is that massive bias even today, and I doubt I'll ever shake it. It takes active badgering to check something out, or recommendations from trustworthy sources, and even then... yeah. Even then I'm sitting here, watching BoJack Horseman and thinking: Hey guys, maybe spend a little less on A-lister voice talent and a wee bit more on your animation and art team, please? Give this some artistry, maybe? Or just do both, like Castlevania.

Then you read critical receptions that gush over how great the lighting effects were in BoJack's underwater episode, and I realize: Nah, that's never going to happen.

*Exceptions for old animation, like the original Tom & Jerry, and the occassional older Disney movie. Talking purely about aesthetics here, of course. Let's not get into discussions about the often times questionable content and horrible working conditions of the animators.

Yeah, it's very weird how...different stuff can inherently speak to us. What's especially weird in my case is I was actually exposed to a number of different animes during some very formative years like Naruto, One Piece, Bleach, Inuyasha*...stuff of that nature from the late 90s/early 2000s. Instead of taking a liking or even just a tolerance to it, I had the exact opposite reaction: an absolute burning hatred that closed me off from it entirely. If instead I had been born ten years earlier...and especially twenty years earlier, it could've been a completely different story. Well, if I had been, instead of trying to broaden my horizons and find oddball things that I like such as Miyu right now, I guess I'd have already seen all of it already and instead be totally "Old Man Yells at Clouds"-ing it up and constantly complaining about them not making it how they used to, :p. So I guess, in a sense, it's good to be young, :yes:.

(P.S. Cartoons with that kind of Bojack Horseman-style, and there are a few of them that have it or something very similar to it, are still literally disgusting to look at to me. In comparison, something like Invincible is generally displeasing to look at, but not actually DISGUSTING.)

*Funnily, when I look at that early 2000s Inuyasha now, I can almost...kind of tolerate it, particularly in comparison to the other three I listed. Makes a kind of sense - it seems to be a little bit of a throwback to the late 80s kind of style. So my horizons have been broadened somewhat indeed, :).

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 2

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

@Bartimaeus Fair enough, as I said art is subjective. Believe me when I say I don't think less of you for what you said, not even a little bit, yes sir, not even a crumb... filthy casual

In case you are interested here is what I consider the pinnacle of manga art:

Berserk

MqtH75H.jpegED_mbWFUYAM7mli?format=jpg&name=mediumEXOXJEZXgAAzQIW?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Plus many many more

Oh! Great (any work he has done)

mzutFyz.jpgTenjho.Tenge.full.12361.jpg80a351f932c1423e904cdf12b991f2ab.jpg1K49I.jpeg9yoaZkr.jpeg

590036730b74342ba93bfa0dfc9163b9.jpg

Vagabond

Vagabond.jpgeucy1q2mjzs01.pngVagabond-Featured-And-Social-media-Image

One Punch Man (this is the manga I linked before with the bad art, but redone by another artist)

EZFqHGVUwAAlMIL1280x720.jpgone-punch-man-vol-1-9781421585642_hr.jpgxqrg0y9cjhd51.jpgx9.png?fit=1600,1138&ssl=1kgb6ijc4cn321.jpg

thumnail.jpg

edit: Done... Excuse the picture spam.

Edited by Sarex
  • Like 3

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

1 hour ago, Bartimaeus said:

Yeah, that was you, me, InsaneCommander, and KP. Am I forgetting someone? If so, yikes! :wacko:

You're not forgetting anyone, everyone else refused. Maybe its for the best. The last thing we need is a Unicorn of War in this thread, or the incredibly ridiculous people from the "Love and Justice" podcast who are annoyed that the original Sailor Moon had so much filler content. I mean, yeah, I don't hate the storyline and occassionally found it engaging when I was watching it the first time around (funny how that was almost always content added in the adaptation, like R's and Sailor Stars' filler arc, and the final pieces of S, which I still like more than the rest), but I don't see how you can be an adult and prefer the story episodes to the good content of the show.

The most hilarious people are the ones who say Sailor Moon Crystal is bad but keep defending the manga as the best thing ever made. How deluded can you be? Granted, the manga isn't as bad as Sailor Moon Crystal, but... I'm not sure anything can be. Sailor Moon Crystal is like the 0° Kelvin of animation. The laws of physics prohibit anything from being worse, but it's storytelling problems all come directly from the source material. it just adds horrible animation on top of it, and some baffling adaptational choices.

Yeah, it's very weird how...different stuff can inherently speak to us. What's especially weird in my case is I was actually exposed to a number of different animes during some very formative years like Naruto, One Piece, Bleach, Inuyasha*...stuff of that nature from the late 90s/early 2000s. Instead of taking a liking or even just a tolerance to it, I had the exact opposite reaction: an absolute burning hatred that closed me off from it entirely.

All animes I've never watched. I mean, Queen Millennia for instance was actually seinen anime that just ran in our kids' program because film and TV people are apparently just oblivious to the idea of animation targeted at adults, but I liked it well enough, but as far as actual real shonen stuff goes, I'm... quite a blank, really. There's Robin Hood. I guess I saw the occasional episode of Captain Tsubasa (the 80ies anime, not the 90ies one) and some other football based anime that I always mix up. Captain Future might sound like a shonen anime, but that's an adaptation of a 40ies pulp sci-fi series originally published in a magazine. :yes:

Then there's of course the timing, I spent a lot of the early 2000s watching sci-fi shows, and very little else, and all the rest of the time was invested into online gaming, and trying to study (well you know how that worked out). I'm not sure I would have liked any of them even if they came out 10 years earlier. I'm not touching any of them (except for Bleach at some point, maybe) with a ten foot pole, I have no desire to watch 2000 episodes of something I might not even enjoy. Inuyasha might look like something that could be interesting, but even that alone is a huge commitment.

(P.S. Cartoons with that kind of Bojack Horseman-style, and there are a few of them that have it or something very similar to it, are still literally disgusting to look at to me. In comparison, something like Invincible is generally displeasing to look at, but not actually DISGUSTING.)

I liked BoJack Horseman in spite of its animation, and that was really a huge hurdle going in. Invincible on the other hand is just kida in a weird place between looking as if they tried to give a rat's ass during animation but ended up half-assing it. I'm not sure what's worse.

I watched some more Princess Tutu, and I really enjoy it. I should have put that into the original post about it, because that has a kind of a negative undertone that it doesn't deserve. It also does one thing much better than Revolutionary Girl Utena: It's honest about what it is. As such, that feeling of watching someone's in-joke or pseudo-intellectual wanking isn't there. It is very open about being a story in a story, and an intermingling of dream and reality.

Ahiru is also a riot and is just generally a nice duck girl, unlike Utena, who wants to be a prince, but has entirely selfish reasons for doing so, and deals with cast of psychopaths. Instead of having to be familiar with Buddhism, Princess Tutu asks something that's a much taller order, in part, at least. You need a passing familiarity with ballet and (European) fairy tales to really appreciate* it. Fairy tales isn't an issue for me, but ballet sure is.

The cast is just kind of small. There's the prince, Ahiru, his two detractors called Fakir and Rue, and a couple of recurring characters that are sometimes there, like the ballet teacher or Ahiru's friends, but they're not part of the focus.

*Appreciation, not enjoyment. The episode I just watched was based on the plot of Giselle, which I really don't know anything about. A quick browse through Wikipedia lead to some "oh, I see" moments, but that was after the fact.

Edited by majestic
  • Like 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

2 hours ago, majestic said:

I also liked Galaxy Rangers, but that one cheated, because it was animated by Tokyo Movie Shinsha, just written by Americans (and that actually shows, when I tried rewatching it as an adult... that's something that did not age well at all).

I'm currently re-watching DEFENDERS OF THE EARTH which is similarly a US show animated in Japan (and later Korea).  In this case the writers and character designers/storyboarders from Marvel Productions animation (previously DePatie-Freleng, who did the Pink Panther titles and theatrical shorts) and Toei (later Daewon and Sei Young).  Like a lot of US television animation, its aimed for, at best, a teen audience and the writing shows.  I've enjoyed it for what it is, not expecting it to be a particularly nuanced show as it was a few years too early to benefit from the BATMAN: THE ANIMATED SERIES breakthrough in television adventure cartoons*.  I think that's one of the big differences from this kind of show and, say, Tom & Jerry which was pulling from a theatrical model that appealed to families (ie it was multilayered with gags for adults and kids) even after they moved to television (at least for awhile).

*Yes, it does come post Robotech, but Robotech severely altered the source material to make it suitable for a teen audience and ultimately didn't lead to the breakthrough that many thought it would of more serious TV animation.  And anyway, the model for DOTE seems to be GI Joe: A Real American Hero.

• Like 2
  • Gasp! 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

3 minutes ago, majestic said:

I watched some more Princess Tutu, and I really enjoy it. I should have put that into the original post about it, because that has a kind of a negative undertone that it doesn't deserve. It also does one thing much better than Revolutionary Girl Utena: It's honest about what it is. As such, that feeling of watching someone's in-joke or pseudo-intellectual wanking isn't there. It is very open about being a story in a story, and an intermingling of dream and reality.

You remember how I said we were going to watch Nadia next? ...I mentioned to my other party that a friend was watching Princess Tutu and how it apparently had a lot of similarities to Utena but was maybe a little bit better and they were like "oh yeah, I've heard of that one too, let's watch that instead". For the record, for as much as I had serious problems with Utena, my impression outside of the movie was still overall positive (if only just barely)...in contrast, they borderline hated Utena by the end of it, so I was not at all expecting that response. So now I'm being strong-armed into watching Princess Tutu instead, and I kind of feel bad because I don't want to outpace you on your own show or anything like that, but I could easily see that happening if we at least sort of like it, :shrugz:. I apologize in advance if that ends up happening...and I'll let you know how that goes.

9 minutes ago, majestic said:

Then there's of course the timing. I'm not sure I would have liked any of them even if they came out 10 years earlier. I'm not touching any of them (except for Bleach at some point, maybe) with a ten foot pole, I have no desire to watch 2000 episodes of something I might not even enjoy. Inuyasha might look like something that could be interesting, but even that alone is a huge commitment.

Yeah, there's no way. Even just Bleach had nearly 400 episodes and a number of movies. How could you even consider it given your OCD problem? :p

Queen Millennia looks so much like Galaxy Express 999. And I've looked at both Captain Tsubasa and Captain Future before as well...prooobably not something I'm ever gonna try, :yes:.

@Sarex Okay, now I can see why people say Dark Souls was Berserk-inspired, because if I hadn't been given any context, I would've a hundred percent assumed that at least the first one was actually a Dark Souls drawing. Those are danged nice-looking, :).

• Like 1
  • Gasp! 2

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

Stop talking **** about Bleach... It's my gateway manga (well Berserk is but Bleach is a close second). Btw a few days ago a new chapter came out, so fingers crossed it gets the Hell arc. Oh and Berserk will get one more chapter, hopefully we will find out then if they plan to continue/finish it.

17 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

Okay, now I can see why people say Dark Souls was Berserk-inspired, because if I hadn't been given any context, I would've a hundred percent assumed that at least the first one was actually a Dark Souls drawing. Those are danged nice-looking, :).

I have added what I consider to be the best of the best. I would have added Kubo Tite the magnaka for Bleach, his art is top notch too it's just that he's a minimalist with the backgrounds, so it wouldn't be fair to the other guys. Then again, Bleach was a weekly manga and the one I mentioned above are either on hiatus or at best monthly. So if he had more time it would probably look that much better.

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1
  • Gasp! 1

1 hour ago, Sarex said:

I have added what I consider to be the best of the best. I would have added Kubo Tite the magnaka for Bleach, his art is top notch too it's just that he's a minimalist with the backgrounds

Great looking backgrounds and scenes are...just that: great looking, :yes:. When used to punctuate particularly important moments, they can really give depth and gravitas and tickle the imagination. Consider, though, that I am actually quite happy with art that much more simply looks like this (though that's not to say the art you posted isn't great in of its own self, I'm just making an example to demonstrate a point here):

CDisplayEx_3U7U0nxMA7.png

...so long as I'm into the style of the designs and enjoy what's written. For this Miyu manga, it was "sometimes" to the former (I like how these panels in particular look, others decidedly less so) and "not particularly?" to the latter (...just the writing here in this ultra-basic entrance/introduction scene somehow manages to feel inexplicably choppy and unnatural for no good reason, and that's kind of how the entire book was). I grew up on Calvin & Hobbes where there very often literally were no backgrounds and instead it was only basic character graphics and poignant dialogue - characters and how they're written and stylized will always be king above all else for me. Very often, I seem to prefer minimalistic, understated, and more "boring" art over the crazy and out there stuff, even though the latter is more visually interesting...perhaps because of how it affects the "language" of characters, but I'm not one hundred percent sure. Good looking pieces, thank you!

1 hour ago, Sarex said:

Stop talking **** about Bleach... It's my gateway manga (well Berserk is but Bleach is a close second). Btw a few days ago a new chapter came out, so fingers crossed it gets the Hell arc. Oh and Berserk will get one more chapter, hopefully we will find out then if they plan to continue/finish it.

I can't really talk specifics in regards to what I dislike about Bleach...except that I had a couple of close friends that were super into it and One Piece and both of them seemed to be suuuper long and I couldn't understand the appeal. That's essentially the extent of my knowledge!

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Hmmm 1

54 minutes ago, Amentep said:

I'm currently re-watching DEFENDERS OF THE EARTH which is similarly a US show animated in Japan (and later Korea).

I only know the theme song. It's not something I watched, however, I don't mind entertainment aimed at teenagers in general. I really love(d) Cardcaptor Sakura, and that was arguably made for late pre- to early teenagers. Just not for either Japanese or American boys. Heh. :yes:

55 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

You remember how I said we were going to watch Nadia next? ...I mentioned to my other party that a friend was watching Princess Tutu and how it apparently had a lot of similarities to Utena but was maybe a little bit better and they were like "oh yeah, I've heard of that one too, let's watch that instead".

nathan-fillion-meme.gif

For the record, for as much as I had serious problems with Utena, my impression outside of the movie was still overall positive (if only just barely)...in contrast, they borderline hated Utena by the end of it, so I was not at all expecting that response.

I really have no idea how Princess Tutu will end. It might really just lose any semblance of sanity by the end and "Out-Utena" everything, but at least it doesn't leave viewers all alone with what's happening. It helps that Ahiru is a duck who constantly wonders about what's going on. Utena of course couldn't do that all the time, she was as much a part of and trapped in the world as everyone else. 

Spoiler

I mean, I do, up to a certain point. It seems fairly evident that Ahiru will collect all the heart shards for Mytho and they will then deal with the demonic raven in some form (who may or may not be this Fakir character). By how heavily Princess Tutu seems to be inspired by Germanic fairly tales, it could very easily take a very dark turn. Kind of like the actual Little Mermaid that Disney based Arielle on did not get the prince and died for her efforts.

And there's the fact that Ahiru already said she would give her life to help the prince and Drosselmeyer gave her a warning: Should the princess confess her love for the prince, she will turn into a speck of light and vanish. I'm really expecting a bittersweet ending here.

Have fun with the Utena flashbacks, by the way. The opening narration begins with almost the exact same words. I mean, sure, there's only so many variations of "Once upon a time there was a prince" you could write, even in Japanese, but my first reaction was: "Oh no, is this going to be like Utena?"

So now I'm being strong-armed into watching Princess Tutu instead, and I kind of feel bad because I don't want to outpace you on your own show or anything like that, but I could easily see that happening if we at least sort of like it, :shrugz:. I apologize in advance if that ends up happening...and I'll let you know how that goes.

Eh, don't worry. When will you begin?

Yeah, there's no way. Even just Bleach had nearly 400 episodes and a number of movies. How could you even consider it given your OCD problem? :p

Critical research failure, actually. I thought it was 74 episodes, turns out that's the number of manga volumes. Erm... yeah, so, maybe when I'm retired, right?

Queen Millennia looks so much like Galaxy Express 999. And I've looked at both Captain Tsubasa and Captain Future before as well...prooobably not something I'm ever gonna try, :yes:.

Queen Millennia and Galaxy Express 999 are from the same mangaka, and they're set at different time periods in the same setting. Kind of. Plus an arc welding OVA. In other words, yes, very much intentional. :)

Captain Future is something that I'm a little afraid of rewatching, I have a feeling that won't hold up so well, and Captain Tsubasa, well, uhm, if you want to watch any sports anime, then I'd really suggest going with Attack No. 1. You get ridiculous sports arcs in both, but Attack No. 1, while kind of brutal in its own way, at least has some very good character interactions. From what I can remember, I'm at like episode 19 in my rewatch now, and have been there for weeks.

1 hour ago, Sarex said:

Stop talking **** about Bleach...

We're not. I'm just not committing to 366 episodes of something that's then mostly filler that I have been told is of sub-par quality. That's no judgement on the series, really. :)

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, majestic said:

Eh, don't worry. When will you begin?

Probably the same time-frame as was expected for Nadia...sometime within the next few days to maybe next week.

Spoiler

I managed to extract a bargain where they would FINALLY, AT LAST give Cardcaptor Sakura an earnest go by watching the first five episodes in full. It has been extremely annoying not being able to talk about Sakura whatsoever because "well, maybe someday I'll watch it, so don't talk about it!" combined with "eh, you're already so far into it, and I'm just not a hundred percent sure if I actually want to watch it after all...". However, the price for that bargain was...severe and dear, to say the least. I'll say no more of the horrors I unfortunately had to go through for Sakura's sake...except that it involved the genre of comedy, :x.

Critical research failure, actually. I thought it was 74 episodes, turns out that's the number of manga volumes. Erm... yeah, so, maybe when I'm retired, right?

If there's an afterlife where you can just sit and binge anime literally as much as you want, perhaps... :p

Captain Future is something that I'm a little afraid of rewatching, I have a feeling that won't hold up so well, and Captain Tsubasa, well, uhm, if you want to watch any sports anime, then I'd really suggest going with Attack No. 1. You get ridiculous sports arcs in both, but Attack No. 1, while kind of brutal in its own way, at least has some very good character interactions. From what I can remember, I'm at like episode 19 in my rewatch now, and have been there for weeks.

Exactly my thoughts re: watching Attack No. 1 (or something else much more likely to be appealing to me than Captain Tsubasa, like 1981 1989's Yawara which is available on a seemingly pretty good-looking bluray that I will have to check out at some point!).

nathan-fillion-meme.gif

Trust me, I know. I'd been preparing for Nadia for literally weeks now and finally getting myself into the idea of watching it after Miyu, and suddenly I had my chair pulled from under me in exchange for another Utena. What joy.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Gasp! 1

Queen Millennia looks so much like Galaxy Express 999. 

You say that like its a bad thing. :bat:

I still remember how Harmony Gold, because of the success of Robotech, took the 70s Queen Millennia and Space Pirate Captain Harlock animes and merged them into a single show called Captain Harlock and the Queen of a Thousand Years to meet syndication requirements for number of episodes.  That said, I love Leiji Matsumoto's stuff, and I wish more of it was translated here. (cue someone telling me about official manga releases that I missed over the years).  

16 minutes ago, majestic said:

I only know the theme song. It's not something I watched, however, I don't mind entertainment aimed at teenagers in general. I really love(d) Cardcaptor Sakura, and that was arguably made for late pre- to early teenagers. Just not for either Japanese or American boys. Heh. :yes:

Theme song with lyrics allegedly by Stan Lee himself.  ♫ Defenders of the Earth (De-fennn-dersssss!) ♬

I think that US production companies or the network/syndication heads tended to think of teenagers as less accepting of complex storytelling in cartoons than happened in Japan, which for many years made action series somewhat dumbed down versions of live action TV shows (which also, for many years,  were done-in-one-episode types of storytelling).

• Like 2

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

3 minutes ago, Amentep said:

You say that like its a bad thing. 

No way, it's on my list of bookmarks of things to eventually check out. Mind you, it is super weird looking to me, but it's just that its style looks very distinct and that's immediately what I was reminded of when I saw Queen Millennia. Turns out, there was good reason for that, :p.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1

Just now, Bartimaeus said:

No way, it's on my list of bookmarks of things to eventually check out. Mind you, it is super weird looking to me, but it's just that its style looks very distinct and that's immediately what I was reminded of when I saw Queen Millennia. 

*puts away ban button* :p

• Haha 1
  • Gasp! 1

8 hours ago, Sarex said:

He strikes again!

It's a great story. As for the art, I mean that's really subjective, but I really don't see the ugly there. What bothers you about it? Then again this is some of the manga I read...

OK6W_koKDTOqqqLDbIoPAsMyXN5JIxCZaDF8KLCO

Bart the Executioner never stops!

And to be fair, the One Punch Man webcomic is drawn weekly right? It wouldn't be fair to compare it to a monthly, let alone something like Berserk.

3 hours ago, majestic said:

The last thing we need is a Unicorn of War in this thread, or the incredibly ridiculous people from the "Love and Justice" podcast who are annoyed that the original Sailor Moon had so much filler content.

I can think of some things that would be worse.

3 hours ago, Sarex said:

@Bartimaeus Fair enough, as I said art is subjective. Believe me when I say I don't think less of you for what you said, not even a little bit, yes sir, not even a crumb... filthy casual

In case you are interested here is what I consider the pinnacle of manga art:

Berserk

MqtH75H.jpegED_mbWFUYAM7mli?format=jpg&name=mediumEXOXJEZXgAAzQIW?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Plus many many more

Oh! Great (any work he has done)

mzutFyz.jpgTenjho.Tenge.full.12361.jpg80a351f932c1423e904cdf12b991f2ab.jpg1K49I.jpeg9yoaZkr.jpeg

590036730b74342ba93bfa0dfc9163b9.jpg

Vagabond

Vagabond.jpgeucy1q2mjzs01.pngVagabond-Featured-And-Social-media-Image

One Punch Man (this is the manga I linked before with the bad art, but redone by another artist)

EZFqHGVUwAAlMIL1280x720.jpgone-punch-man-vol-1-9781421585642_hr.jpgxqrg0y9cjhd51.jpgx9.png?fit=1600,1138&ssl=1kgb6ijc4cn321.jpg

thumnail.jpg

edit: Done... Excuse the picture spam.

Such a shame about Miura, even if Berserk is finished I doubt it will be the same.

Edited by KP the meanie zucchini
  • Like 1
  • Gasp! 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

19 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:
Spoiler

I managed to extract a bargain where they would FINALLY, AT LAST give Cardcaptor Sakura an earnest go by watching the first five episodes in full. It has been extremely annoying not being able to talk about Sakura whatsoever because "well, maybe someday I'll watch it, so don't talk about it!" combined with "eh, you're already so far into it, and I'm just not a hundred percent sure if I actually want to watch it after all...". However, the price for that bargain was...severe and dear, to say the least. I'll say no more of the horrors I unfortunately had to go through for Sakura's sake...except that it involved the genre of comedy, :x.

Spoiler

Yeah, it's not easy, is it? I'm kind of dying to actually write about some of the things that happen in the second half of Cardcaptor Sakura, and perhaps about the movie in more detail, but someone asked me to refrain from commiting such sacriledge. :yes:

Heh. Oh boy, comedy. Live action or animated? Or, well, maybe I don't really want to know.

35 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

Trust me, I know. I'd been preparing for Nadia for literally weeks now and finally getting myself into the idea of watching it after Miyu, and suddenly I had my chair pulled from under me in exchange for another Utena. What joy.

*glances away ruefully*

4 minutes ago, KP the meanie zucchini said:

I can think of some things that would be worse.

I was going to ask what, and then I imagined Stjepan suddenly developing a fondness for anime and hopping in here, with Bruno in tow. Akio and Anthy at the planetarium. :x

• Gasp! 2

6 minutes ago, majestic said:

I was going to ask what, and then I imagined Stjepan suddenly developing a fondness for anime and hopping in here, with Bruno in tow. Akio and Anthy at the planetarium.

The former already does and also has really bad taste, the latter would drive us into creep territory with hentai. Oingo with the orange.

• Haha 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

20 minutes ago, KP the meanie zucchini said:

Barti the Executioner never stops!

I don't know if you're doing that on purpose, but for the love of all that is good and holy, please, don't be a complete psychopath and just have mercy on me...

Spoiler

...by either typing it Bart, Bartimaeus, or Barty, not...that. I'll even accept Bartu, Barte, Barta, Barto, or even just Mae from the second part of the shortened version of it (BartyMae)...literally anything besides how you just typed it. Only people I utterly loath have ever typed it that way for whatever reason over the many years I've had this name, and it brings back many bad memories.

14 minutes ago, majestic said:

Live action

This, unfortunately.

@Sakura: I'm making progress! It's happening!

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Sad 2

8 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

I don't know if you're doing that on purpose, but for the love of all that is good and holy, please, don't be a complete psychopath and just have mercy on me...

I have no mercy for those who would besmirch my beloved anime! Taste thy wrath, Fartimaeus!

Sorry about that, I didn't realize. I'll go ahead and edit it.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, KP the meanie zucchini said:

Fartimaeus!

Congratulations, you thought of another...that I've already been called probably by 4-5 other people over the last decade, :p. However, I do not have the same overwhelmingly negative Pavlovian response to that as I do to the other one. I was half completely joking, half deadly serious...but for the record, my preferred shortened version is actually "Barty" - I've never felt like much of a "Bart", but that's perfectly fine too if anyone prefers that. Literally just calling me a completely different name would be better than the one - the memories associated with that particular spelling are somehow legitimately that bad.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Gasp! 1

11 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

Congratulations, you thought of another...that I've already been called probably by 4-5 other people over the last decade, :p. However, I do not have the same overwhelmingly negative Pavlovian response to that as I do to the other one. I was half completely joking, half deadly serious...but for the record, my preferred shortened version is actually "Barty" - I've never felt like much of a "Bart", but that's perfectly fine too if anyone prefers that. Literally just calling me a completely different name would be better than the one - the memories associated with that particular spelling are somehow legitimately that bad.

Damn, and here I thought I was original, Barty. How different tho, like "Sueamitrab" or "Big Jim da Kingpin" or "Listening to Mark E. Smith's recitation of the Horror in Clay in a delirious state"?

• Haha 1

As long as it's not overly crass or vulgar and I (e): DON'T have some other major type of negative association with it, I don't really care, :p.

(e): Also, Sueamitrab (and just Sue, too, actually) has been done before as well. You can call me Sue, I'm fine with that as well, :yes:.

Edited by Bartimaeus

2 hours ago, majestic said:

We're not. I'm just not committing to 366 episodes of something that's then mostly filler that I have been told is of sub-par quality. That's no judgement on the series, really.

Yeah the filler is mostly bad, the manga I never had an issue with but for many vocal people the last few arcs left a bad taste in their mouth.

2 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

Great looking backgrounds and scenes are...just that: great looking, :yes:. When used to punctuate particularly important moments, they can really give depth and gravitas and tickle the imagination. Consider, though, that I am actually quite happy with art that much more simply looks like this (though that's not to say the art you posted isn't great in of its own self, I'm just making an example to demonstrate a point here):

CDisplayEx_3U7U0nxMA7.png

...so long as I'm into the style of the designs and enjoy what's written. For this Miyu manga, it was "sometimes" to the former (I like how these panels in particular look, others decidedly less so) and "not particularly?" to the latter (...just the writing here in this ultra-basic entrance/introduction scene somehow manages to feel inexplicably choppy and unnatural for no good reason, and that's kind of how the entire book was). I grew up on Calvin & Hobbes where there very often literally were no backgrounds and instead it was only basic character graphics and poignant dialogue - characters and how they're written and stylized will always be king above all else for me. Very often, I seem to prefer minimalistic, understated, and more "boring" art over the crazy and out there stuff, even though the latter is more visually interesting...perhaps because of how it affects the "language" of characters, but I'm not one hundred percent sure. Good looking pieces, thank you!

I can't really talk specifics in regards to what I dislike about Bleach...except that I had a couple of close friends that were super into it and One Piece and both of them seemed to be suuuper long and I couldn't understand the appeal. That's essentially the extent of my knowledge!

Then you would love the Bleach manga art style, especially in it's later arcs. For One Peace I only read the manga, but I dropped it around black beard arc. It's way too long way to many characters that don't matter.

1 hour ago, KP the meanie zucchini said:

Bart the Executioner never stops!

And to be fair, the One Punch Man webcomic is drawn weekly right? It wouldn't be fair to compare it to a monthly, let alone something like Berserk.

Such a shame about Miura, even if Berserk is finished I doubt it will be the same.

I mean there are a lot of manga that are weekly and that have fantastic art. Let's be honest and say that One was never visited by the Art fairy.

Or were you talking about the redrawn One Punch Man done by Murata? That one doesn't have a schedule either.

I already had that with the Wheel of Time... Shame that my favorite authors never seem to finish their work.

57 minutes ago, KP the meanie zucchini said:

The former already does and also has really bad taste, the latter would drive us into creep territory with hentai. Oingo with the orange.

What is this hentai you speak of?

4 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

As long as it's not overly crass or vulgar and I (e): DON'T have some other major type of negative association with it, I don't really care, :p.

That is a tall ask.

Edited by Sarex
  • Gasp! 1

11 minutes ago, Sarex said:

That is a tall ask.

The first part or the second part? The first part shouldn't be that hard...my name doesn't exactly lend itself to that many gross play-ons, though I'm sure if you spent enough time thinking you could come up with a couple. Although I guess if you literally do what I said and just call me whatever terrible thing you can think of, there are a lot more options. The second part is also surprisingly not that difficult either, because I'm not that picky about names (except that I prefer...actual literal names, and not titles or other epithets - e.g. simply "Bartimaeus" is a name, so is "Sue", but "Bart the Man" is not and just "The Man" isn't either). My favorite names are always that of people and characters that I like, rarely ever to do with the name itself (proof of that would be that I literally didn't think anything of the name Miyu before watching Miyu...now I love that name - that's almost always how it goes for me; names are very much a matter of associations for me).

Edited by Bartimaeus

11 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

(e): Also, Sueamitrab (and just Sue, too, actually) has been done before as well. You can call me Sue, I'm fine with that as well, :yes:.

How about Sue the Bart? Or if I wanted to JoJo your name "Zaue the Barttttttttttttttttttttto" screamed at the top of my lungs and followed by "OH MY GOD!"?

10 minutes ago, Sarex said:

What is this hentai you speak of?

Imagine the nastiest thing you can think of, then make it worse and at the same time dumber. That is what Bruno would bring us.

• Haha 1

Just now, Bartimaeus said:

The first part or the second part? The first part shouldn't be that hard...my name doesn't exactly lend itself to that many gross play-ons, though I'm sure if you spent enough time thinking you could come up with a couple. Although I guess if you literally do what I said and just call me whatever terrible thing you can think of, there are a lot more options. The second part is also surprisingly not that difficult either, because I'm not that picky about names (except that I prefer...actual literal names, and not titles or other epithets - e.g. simply "Bartimaeus" is a name, so is "Sue", but "Bart the Man" is not and just "The Man" isn't either). My favorite names are always that of people and characters that I like, rarely ever to do with the name itself (proof of that would be that literally didn't think anything of the name Miyu before watching Miyu...now I love that name - that's almost always how it goes for me).

I was just making a joke about your taste, as in it's hard to please you. 😄

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, KP the meanie zucchini said:

How about Sue the Bart? Or if I wanted to JoJo your name "Zaue the Barttttttttttttttttttttto" screamed at the top of my lungs and followed by "OH MY GOD!"?

Hey, well, you can see my explanation on what kind of names I prefer in the post directly above yours, but those are still better than the thingy, so whatever, :p.