Anime - Do you Understannnnnnndu?

Amentep

1 hour ago, Sarex said:

I have been culturally assimilated, I don't even look for local subtitles.

That's just for anime on Netflix, because the German subs are better - overall, just not always - than the English ones, and Netflix neatly pairs sub settings with language settings.

39 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

Yeah, silver would've made a lot more sense. I'll try another episode either today or tomorrow...or never, :shifty:.

It takes until episode three for noticable changes to happen to Violet. While I really liked the second episode (and the first one), there are a lot of watchers who didn't, and almost dropped the anime - or actually did - because of them.

Spoiler

Not that it will change the premise. That will be Violet struggling with intergration into society and social interactions for a while yet. That'll be everything until episode 10, including the opera OVA.

48 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

In other news, I read the first manga (book, chapter?) of Miyu, my AMA (ask me anything) starts now...and it thus concludes, because I don't think I could answer any questions about it anyways because that was just about impossible to make sense of* - I think the TV show and even the OVA do a better job of communicating than the manga does (particularly because many of the action scenes are just haphazard scribbles that I can't really follow). Thank you all for coming, have a wonderful day!

How does the manga compare to the OVA and the TV show, is Miyu noticably different, and would you recommend the source material over the adaptation? How does the artwork compare, and most importantly...

Spoiler

...just kidding.

50 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

*It's also distinctly possible that I am just the bad at reading manga.

The only way you could suck at it was if you were going in the wrong direction. If that's a fan-translation or an official one that did not change the reading direction it's a bit weird to deal with at first.

• Like 2

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

I tried reading it right-to-left for the first couple of pages but then I figured out it must've been mirrored because it really literally made no sense right-to-left at all, and the dialogue bubbles just didn't flow that way anyways.

20 minutes ago, majestic said:

How does the manga compare to the OVA and the TV show, is Miyu noticably different, and would you recommend the source material over the adaptation? How does the artwork compare, and most importantly...

Um...I like both the OVA and the TV show a lot better, Miyu is a bit more silly and immature as well as kind of...clingy(?) in the manga (they seemed to have aged her up a couple of years in both the OVA/show at least personality-wise), and the artwork was...inconsistent. There were some pages where I was like "hey, this actually looks pretty good", and then others where I was like "...what am I even looking at here? whatever, read the dialogue and go to the next one because I ain'ts got the patience to spend more than a few seconds to decipher these scribbley drawings". I really like the aesthetic of the OVA, but the fidelity/transfer quality is poor, which is sad. If only that was in HD...the fidelity of the later show is much better, but while I'm FINE with the art style, I definitely don't like it as much as the original OVA's.

20 minutes ago, majestic said:

...just kidding.

Oh.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

6 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

I tried reading it right-to-left for the first couple of pages but then I figured out it must've been mirrored because it really literally made no sense right-to-left at all, and the dialogue bubbles just didn't flow that way anyways.

Um...I like both the OVA and the TV show a lot better, Miyu is a bit more silly and immature as well as kind of...clingy(?) in the manga (they seemed to have aged her up a couple of years in both the OVA/show at least personality-wise), and the artwork was...inconsistent. There were some pages where I was like "hey, this actually looks pretty good", and then others where I was like "...what am I even looking at here? whatever, read the dialogue and go to the next one because I ain'ts got the patience to spend more than a few seconds to decipher these scribbley drawings". I really like the aesthetic of the OVA, but the fidelity/transfer quality is poor, which is sad. If only that was in HD...the fidelity of the later show is much better, but while I'm FINE with the art style, I definitely don't like it as much as the original OVA's.

Oh.

That just kidding was only there because you called out an AMA and then said "nah, I can't answer anything anyway". :)

Thanks for the information, so I'll probably not go check out the manga any time soon. Ah, well...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bartimaeus said:

I read the first manga

one of us. one oF US! ONE OF US!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

26 minutes ago, KP the meanie zucchini said:

Did you munch on your coffee chewing gums again? :p

27 minutes ago, majestic said:

Did you munch on your coffee chewing gums again? :p

No I had to steal a bunch of food from the Oingo Boingo Brothers.

• Haha 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

1 hour ago, KP the meanie zucchini said:

ONE OF US! ONE of us! one of us. one of us

2 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

*It's also distinctly possible that I am just the bad at reading manga.

500-reading-direction-300x264.jpg

Edited by Sarex
  • Gasp! 2
  • Sad 1

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

6 hours ago, KP the meanie zucchini said:

1. Wouldn't that kind of hinge on actually really enjoying it?

2. I read most of the Dragon Ball (not Z) manga years ago, which I also only sort of enjoyed.

3. Now Codename Sailor V, if I ever get around to trying that, that will be the true test.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

On episode 4 of Bebop, so far it's good although still in building stages.  Enjoyable OST for sure, but I guess Yoko Kanno always delivers that much.

• Like 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

12 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

1. Wouldn't that kind of hinge on actually really enjoying it?

2. I read most of the Dragon Ball (not Z) manga years ago, which I also only sort of enjoyed.

3. Now Codename Sailor V, if I ever get around to trying that, that will be the true test.

I could give you a few recommendations if you want? There really are some excellent manga out there.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

39 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

Wouldn't that kind of hinge on actually really enjoying it?

On the contrary, continuing on out of spite is the true path.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, KP the meanie zucchini said:

On the contrary, continuing on out of spite is the true path.

Shouldn't you be joining me in watching all things Sailor Moon then? Join me, and face the true tragedy of Crystal. :yes:

It can't be any worse than the Sailor Moon manga, and unlike that you're not very likely to find creepy more than implied incest stuff or sexual assault in there that is perpetrated by characters you like on characters you like. I mean, yeah, apparently it makes Minako deal with a lot of, uhm, not so great stuff at times, but I'm sure it's not going to be on the level of BRACK RADY.

At least... I kinda hope.

Second episode of Vampire Princess Miyu. Yes, this indeed does have the same feeling and tone as many of The Outer Limits episodes (and an ending to match). Just with a regular core cast of characters. Miyu makes some friends, which will most likely end in some sort of tragedy. There is no way this doesn't end in tragedy, right? :(

Edited by majestic
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Sarex said:

I could give you a few recommendations if you want? There really are some excellent manga out there.

I always feel bad someone puts time and thought into trying to recommend me something and I inevitably don't care for it at best, so I almost prefer that people don't ever try to recommend anything to me unless I have specific criteria that I can give (...and to be honest, I'm not really sure what I would even be looking for out of a manga to begin with*). It's especially almost impossible for someone who doesn't already have a good pulse on my specific likes/dislikes - out of anyone on the Obsidian forums, majestic has had some luck with anime but that's probably mainly because he just happens to love the same specific kind of silly girly stuff that I do...but even then, that's not by any means a guarantee. Whether it's movies, books, music, shows, games, it doesn't matter - I am simply the biggest and most persnickety bastard about what I enjoy across all mediums, :yes:.

*I was specifically investigating Miyu because not only do I already really like Miyu the character, but I also really like its dark yet understated contemporary setting, its horror being largely character or concept-driven than any attempt at being "scary", art and dialogue being in styles I like, etc.

2 hours ago, Malcador said:

Yoko Kanno

The only thing I think I know him her from is scoring Satoshi Kon's Magnetic Rose, and though I liked the film (and I plan to re-watch it at some point), I've listened to the soundtrack a dozen-plus times, so I can't disagree with your analysis, :).

@KP the meanie zucchini  Maybe...more likely it was just because I like Miyu and wanted to give it a chance to get better by the end. I'm not sure if I will try the second book or not.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, majestic said:

It can't be any worse than the Sailor Moon manga, and unlike that you're not very likely to find creepy more than implied incest stuff or sexual assault in there that is purpetrated by characters you like on characters you like. I mean, yeah, apparently it makes Minako deal with a lot of, uhm, not so great stuff at times, but I'm sure it's not going to be on the level of BRACK RADY.

At least... I kinda hope.

Me too, will be going straight into the trash just like the Sailor Moon manga if I'm not pleased with it.

19 minutes ago, majestic said:

Second episode of Vampire Princess Miyu. Yes, this indeed does have the same feeling and tone as many of The Outer Limits episodes (and an ending to match). Just with a regular core cast of characters. Miyu makes some friends, which will most likely end in some sort of tragedy. There is no way this doesn't end in tragedy, right? :(

In other news, I'll be finishing Miyu tonight. I'm a little...concerned about how this is shaping up to end.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, majestic said:

Shouldn't you be joining me in watching all things Sailor Moon then? Join me, and face the true tragedy of Crystal.

Spock on Omicron Ceti III, his smile broad.

19 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

Maybe...more likely it was just because I like Miyu and wanted to give it a chance to get better by the end. I'm not sure if I will try the second book or not.

You will, you have become one of us and cannot escape the fate set forth by the laws of causality.

• Like 2

If we all start speaking only in Star Trekisms, perhaps he'll become a permanent resident.

• Haha 2

McCoy on Beta III, the body joined.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

In other news, I'll be finishing Miyu tonight. I'm a little...concerned about how this is shaping up to end.

Me too, and I'm only two episodes in, but that's okay. It's not like the anime is unfair in what it is.

I also absolutely love the atmosphere, and I enjoyed Miyu having some interactions with someone else who isn't some form of demon or creepy magical girl pet variant. I know I've been harping on about this for a while now, but I've also tuned in every week for The Outer Limits for like seven years, and that ended in tragedy too, more often than not. And even when it did, at best you'd get a bittersweet ending. :yes:

12 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

If we all start speaking only in Star Trekisms, perhaps he'll become a permanent resident.

Scotty, in La Forge's engine room. Kes in Borg space. Kes, sparks flying in anger.

Translation:

Spoiler

But he'd be around having nothing to and feeling useless, then he will leave and carry a grudge.

Besides, and as much as I am at fault for starting this in the first place, it's incredibly exhausting to come up with these. I'd rather not write an essay in the Obsidian dialect of Tamarian. :p

Edited by majestic
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Hmmm 1

10 minutes ago, majestic said:

I'd rather not write an essay in the Obsidian dialect of Tamarian. :p

Grognards on wizards. The ignore list, its inhabitants plenty. Gromnir and Guard Dog in politics.

• Haha 2
  • Hmmm 1

2 hours ago, Malcador said:

Yoko Kanno

The only thing I think I know him from is scoring Satoshi Kon's Magnetic Rose, and though I liked the film (and I plan to re-watch it at some point), I've listened to the soundtrack a dozen-plus times, so I can't disagree with your analysis, :).

She also composed the music for Cardcaptor Sakura's third opening credits, incidentially the one I liked the least. Here's the actual song, linking the intro would be bad. It's dark and full of spoilers.

Edited by majestic
  • Gasp! 1

I totally meant to type "she"...:wacko:

...Uh, wow, what the hell was that? The line between 90s jpop and 2000s jpop has never felt so harsh as it does right here. Jeeze, and I thought the second one was a big step down. Guess I'll wait and see if Sakura can somehow make me like *that* too...good luck!

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, majestic said:

I also absolutely love the atmosphere, and I enjoyed Miyu having some interactions with someone else who isn't some form of demon or creepy magical girl pet variant. I know I've been harping on about this for a while now, but I've also tuned in every week for The Outer Limits for like seven years, and that ended in tragedy too, more often than not. And even when it did, at best you'd get a bittersweet ending.

Yeah. One thing I did notice from reading the first chapter of the manga is that...actually, wait, no, what I'd say wouldn't make sense to you yet, I guess I should wait until you're further in.

Sakura, Kero, and the Mysterious Teacher.

There have been a number times where I have gotten full-body chills while watching this show. Isn't that so incredibly bizarre how a show like this could do that, while stuff that is deliberately trying to elicit that reaction could never even dream of doing the same to me? Yet another measure of how much I'm into the show. Anyways, that happened again during the pre-intro for this, when Sakura was having her premonition again for the umpteenth time...but for some reason, it felt different than all the other times, and then boom, suddenly a third person(?) appeared. Somehow, the show clued me in to expect something different this time and then delivered.

Spoiler

Good lord, Tomoyo envisioned the costume that Sakura would be wearing in her final judgement before Sakura even became a Cardcaptor? That's...weird.

Sakura made one too many meals for her and her friends... ;(

KERO: "I didn't come for just lunch, you know. I want to be with you as much as possible. It's almost the end, you know..."
SAKURA: "Huh? The end? Are you talking about the Clow Cards?
KERO: "Yeah..."
SAKURA: "Then I'm almost done collecting all the Clow Cards!"
TOMOYO: "You did it, Sakura!"
SAKURA: "Yeah!"

...I couldn't help but notice that Sakura and Tomoyo didn't pick up on a certain undercurrent in Kero's words. Also, weird and creepy: when Kero said "I feel the moon's presence", the subtitle hung around for an abnormally long amount of time as it cut away to Yukito silently doing his archery stuff. It was there for just over an entire minute, until the exact moment Yukito finally fired his arrow. And then Ms. Mizuki appeared right after... Hmm.

Okay, Sakura just ran into this bear. I paused it right when it happened. Really, I did, it's still paused right here.

mpc-hc64_MqIEvEAaxF.png

Now I'm just going to go out a limb and a hundred percent guarantee that that's Toya. Let's resume to find out...lmao, suddenly gives her a noogie after handing her a balloon, and yep, that's him. Gosh dang this show.

(e): Also, I just realized that Yue is probably Sakura's mom. That's probably the most logical answer here, especially since she has already appeared as an apparition a number of times.

TOYA: "There is no such thing as coincidence."
MIZUKI: "There is only the inevitable."

Um... Yeah, if you two could like, not creepily say stuff like that right before the end of the arc, that'd be great.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1

Miyu is over. Feel a little drained, as is always the case when something important and unique to you ever so suddenly reaches its termination. Dark shoujo doesn't exactly seem to exist in spades, and especially not before the 2000s. The restraint of the show would no doubt make it ludicrously boring for modern audiences, not to mention our "hero" Miyu herself being so withdrawn, soft-spoken, and gentle in such a weird, sad, and almost kind of contradictory yet fitting way (after all, she herself is a creature of intense internal conflict). Never mind animation styles so drastically changing and making this kind of dark, surreal, but grounded aesthetic all but impossible, never mind character types used for shows like these changing, never mind voice acting styles changing, never mind...all of that. Like I said before, the show feels like such an odd, ultra-specific cross-section of genres and ideas made at a specific time that probably nothing else quite like it exists or is likely to ever exist again. If it's not for you, that's perfectly understandable...but it was for me, it was inherently appealing on just about every level in a way that other shows simply almost never can be for me. Thanks for coming to my TEDx Talk, and I'm sure @majesticand I will be talking more about it at length in the coming days as he watches more of it, so buckle up for getting spammed about it in this thread.

Also, triple-posting is bad form, but these posts should really stay separate for sanity reasons.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Hmmm 1

13 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

out of anyone on the Obsidian forums, majestic has had some luck with anime but that's probably mainly because he just happens to love the same specific kind of silly girly stuff that I do...but even then, that's not by any means a guarantee.

I might be at fault for the Madoka fiasco (sort of), but harping on and on and on about CCS sure was something worthwhile, in the end. :yes:

I'll comment on the other things soon(ish). I'm guessing you figured out who Yue is then?

edit: Look how I posted this before you added a guess to th edit. Yeah, uhm, not going to say anything, of course. :yes:

Final last hint that was mentioned ages ago but never came up again:

Spoiler

Someone's last name is Tsukishiro (=white moon), and it's definitely not Ms. Mizuki's. Because that's Mizuki. :yes:

Also... Sakura sure is a little dense at times, and has trouble figuring things out (when it comes to herself, at least). It's a common theme for her and will also be commented on*. So, yeah, no wonder she didn't figure out what Kero meant. Well, as long as the Earth doesn't explode, things should be fine, right? Right?

*Mild spoiler:

Spoiler

Tomoyo thinks it's one of her most endearing qualities, always trying to help others and be friends with them, while at the same time being completely oblivious to her own needs and desires, or other people's feelings for her. On the other hand, if she were a magic crazy serial slasher monster, Tomoyo would probably find that endearing too. :p

Edited by majestic
  • Like 1